WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HVAC inspection issue

NicPaus

Reaction score
Have a another inspection tomorrow. Inspector claiming install is incomplete. Wants the white coupling connected out roof or to a concentric vent. My HVAC Guy says no need it is drawing the combustion air from attic. Held up for a month now tomorrow will be 4th attempt to get past. I don't know the answer but explained exactly what my HVAC guy told me and his reply was I don't see why he doesn't just connect it through roof. Is this normal like my HVAC says or is inspector right it should be through roof. I have never failed a HVAC inspection same guy for as long as I have been in the trade doing my installs. Regular inspector just retired.
IMG_74621.jpg
IMG_74631.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Have a another inspection tomorrow. Inspector claiming install is incomplete. Wants the white coupling connected out roof or to a concentric vent. My HVAC Guy says no need it is drawing the combustion air from attic. Held up for a month now tomorrow will be 4th attempt to get past. I don't know the answer but explained exactly what my HVAC guy told me and his reply was I don't see why he doesn't just connect it through roof. Is this normal like my HVAC says or is inspector right it should be through roof. I have never failed a HVAC inspection same guy for as long as I have been in the trade doing my installs. Regular inspector just retired. View attachment 752123 View attachment 752124
As long as there are enough attic vents your HVAC installer is 100% correct. Unless of course your municiple code is somewhat funky or something has changed in the last 3 years since I did anything with residential. Riverbound would be much more current on the code situation than I am.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
I always got crossways with Dallas FD inspectors about the emergency vent on standby gensets with a sub base fuel tank installed in a mechanical room. The normal vent piping size for tanks less than 10,000 gallons is 2", and it's extended through the roof.

The emergency vent is a cast aluminum or steel fitting. On a 3 to 5 thousand gallon tank, this vent is 8 inches in diameter, and attached to the tank via a cast steel ring with FIP (female iron pipe) threads or a 150 lb raised face flange.

The DFD inspectors insisted the vent had to be run through the roof. There is no requirement in UL 142 or NFPA 30 for this. In fact, illustrations of approved installations clearly show the emergency vent fitting connected directly to the tank.

You can imagine the hassle and expense to get a pipe fitter and welder to a job site just to build the extension. If it had to offset around a structural member, that involved four eight inch welds for the 90°elbows. Throw in the hangers, the roof penetration, and roofing costs, and the total cost easily exceeded $3 or $4 thousand dollars.

Of course I always lost the argument.

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
As long as there are enough attic vents your HVAC installer is 100% correct. Unless of course your municiple code is somewhat funky or something has changed in the last 3 years since I did anything with residential. Riverbound would be much more current on the code situation than I am.

Just show him the install manual with that venting as an option and should be good to go. Most inspectors have no clue what they are doing when it comes to mechanical.

Only time there would be a need for concentric would be if there wasn’t sufficient combustion air. You don’t mention that but I assume it’s the same spot the old furnace was?

IMG_3294.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
. I don't know the answer but explained exactly what my HVAC guy told me and his reply was I don't see why he doesn't just connect it through roof. ]

Because it’s not required is the simple answer. Lol.

There is no code that says we have to draw combustion air from out side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
I just called the inspector he would not even talk to me. Said I have inspector Willy today instead. I talked to him about issue and he says they talked to mechanical inspector and it should be good. Now see what else willy comes up with. New inspectors are a nightmare. I did not sleep at all last night thanks to them. @Melloyellovector get to meet up with your buddy today wish me luck.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
If it meets for combustion air it shouldn't be an issue. We are required to put a 90 on it facing down per code (less chance of debris getting in) other than that I dont see an issue.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I told him I would add as many dormers as he wants for extra air as there is plenty already. No dice.

Waiting on other inspector now he made my plumber buddy RIP out several things and redo and told me to add more nail plates in case the "Drywallers use 2" screws". Wires were 1 1/2" deep in stud.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I told him I would add as many dormers as he wants for extra air as there is plenty already. No dice.

Waiting on other inspector now he made my plumber buddy RIP out several things and redo and told me to add more nail plates in case the "Drywallers use 2" screws". Wires were 1 1/2" deep in stud.
Fucking jerk off inspectors. What municipality is the house in?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Fucking jerk off inspectors. What municipality is the house in?

Torrance.

We passed HVAC today 3 inspections and 3 weeks later. Nothing changed but the time. He tried to ask me all types of questions today about install. I just kept replying I am not sure I hired my HVAC guy so I don't have to learn. Finally told him I will take some HVAC classes and learn it myself and he quit asking. Had the install manual for unit open to page showing the vent options. Told him I got 2 other opinions from HVAC guys and he still was saying what other inspector said. It's only like 20 more minutes to add a fresh air intake. I replied if it was needed I am sure he would of done it. That's when he asked about the kitchen hood vent. And I tried to explain they don't even know what they are using yet. So now they need to decide so we can have another inspection for mechanical. Then move forward to next stage. Kitchen is in existing I am trying to get the addition approved so we can wrap and roof. Existing house roof still on tried to explain when we roof it we will add vent for oven. No go need mechanical passed to move forward.

Yellowboat

Reaction score

Sounds like you got one of the Sacramento city inspectors down there.

When they invent code on the fly, I would ask them which section of the code I violated. They often could not produce it or would produce a super vague code.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
inspections these days are a pure crapshoot. You have no idea what you're up against until the guy shows up, if he actually shows up. Then the brown nosing begins.

rrrr

Reaction score
Around 2003 I had four different data centers under construction at the Infomart in Dallas. The plumbing inspector was a new hire, and wanted some cash. When I refused to play, he started going over the entire plumbing system on each job every time he came out, trying to find something non-compliant.

About six months later, he was arrested and charged with soliciting and accepting bribes. He flipped on every contractor that had paid him. I told my superintendents that's why you play it straight, and if an inspector ever wrote up some BS obscure violation they needed to contact me immediately.

Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Holy shit, ol mutha fuckin Willy at it again.
Torrance, it’s inspectors, and even the boss of inspectors, and better yet the boss of the boss of it all. I won’t list names individually and screw up their stellar google reputations, lmao
The biggest sorriest excuse for city officials that are responsible for building things not to code but to their own made up rules and codes. Fight it, question, challenge it, and get nooooo where.

Ol Willy came to do predeck inspection for a pool. ( literally needs to see that 3ft bonding grid perimeter of pool is bonded to pool steel )
Day 1- He shows up wants forms notched so rebar can be lifted at 3x3 paver areas. Also wants pool connected with rebar to patio deck separated by 8ft or so of grass, and stairs on house rebar in. So that every bit of deck outside is all bonded to the pool. Ok no big deal, what ever idiot not even remotely required. But I’ll play nice and do it
Day 2- Shows up says hey I don’t like the rebar in turf areas, he has a better idea that we should run bond wire. Wrap entire perimeter of pool ( that’s already covered w rebar and bonded )
And carry that wire to all other slab work. And he noticed gas and electric was never signed off. (For those that don’t know most cities have a pool specific job card and building specific job card. Torrance does not, but who cares ones that don’t sign what they need and we continue)
Now when we do pregunite inspection it includes - steel, plumbing, gas, and electrical so we can shoot pool and work entire yard with out delays or needing inspection until predeck. So this dick wants me to remove all my steel, Re dig up entire back yard so he can see gas and conduits that have been done since beginning. Even showed pics like dude this was day of inspection and you can see it all in there. Nope
Day 3- shows up now wants all rebar cut that is in turf areas that he made us add day 1. Says it will rust, well no shit dumb ass it’s what you wanted! I question if he even knows what he’s doing and what he’s there to even see. 3ft perimeter of pool and move on. Flat work beyond that doesn’t even need his input. So this dick finally signs, ok predeck bonding is good. How ever you better not pour before digging up lines. Also steps at entry to house now wants plans and Engineering for 1 to 3 steps entry at slider and side entry doors.
Still day 3- I tell him he can fuck himself. Emailed the boss of bosses all details to date and question if contractor doing house pissed someone off or if ol Willy is just that stupid!
Within minutes I get a call to meet later that day.
Official is concerned says he believes Willy may just be dumb. Confirms all my info, pics, etc. says I’m good, he will meet w Willy end of day and call between 4-5 for green light to proceed with all.
Day 8 and still waiting- No calls, no responses to email, I refuse to sch inspection w Willy again or I will be arrested for hurting a government employee.

Soooo guys pulled off job, and I let owner know he will have to deal w city and let us know when ok to proceed or find someone else to finish work. It sucks but all profits sucked up with bullshit delays from city, corrections, adding shit not needed etc. Theres times I’ll work for free or even lose money from our mistakes, but no way in hell am I going to pay money to do a job because city doesn’t know wtf they’re doing.
Fuuuuckkk you city of Torrance!!!