WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

23 kryptonite

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
You are welcome to drag your ride down or just jump in with 1 of us.
Back to Hula, when you sammich those pieces together do you put weights or something on top to help them cure or seal together?
2" deck screws. They come out today. Only used to clamp the layers together.

Headless hula

Reaction score
West system kicked off just fine. :D
15560281920985093934608221667023.jpg
15560282079632671652539116091899.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but why did you not use synthetic material for transom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headless hula

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but why did you not use synthetic material for transom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has balsa core, and okoume stringers and floor.
Just as soon stay with wood.
It may make more sense after I laminate the rest together.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Got all the edges rounded over. Its important so the glass wraps around the edges neatly without any air bubbles. The bigger the radius, the easier this task becomes.
The biax will wrap from one face all the way around to a 6-8" over lap on the opposite face. 3 layers per side, alternating wraps, if that makes sense..
20190423_133652.jpg
20190423_133702.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
I'm using the entire 50" width of the roll.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Filled the now empty screw holes with filler.
20190424_100949.jpg
20190424_100958.jpg

Waiting for that to kick, then regrind to eliminate any high spots and put the scratches back in..

Headless hula

Reaction score
6th and final layer of 1808 is done. I hauled the table with the transom on it over to another building where its heated, and can cure. Didn't take any pics of it in there per the owners request. :)

Needs to stay warm for a week. Our weather is NOT cooperating.

Taboma

Reaction score
6th and final layer of 1808 is done. I hauled the table with the transom on it over to another building where its heated, and can cure. Didn't take any pics of it in there per the owners request. :)

Needs to stay warm for a week. Our weather is NOT cooperating.

Holy shit that's a serious piece --- what's it weigh now ? Look Ma, no handles LOL :eek: :D

RichL

Reaction score
Did you account for that kind of weight when you found the center of balance / balanced the boat?

Headless hula

Reaction score
Did you account for that kind of weight when you found the center of balance / balanced the boat?
Itll be interesting to see where the CG is after it's all put back together again. :)

jmiller165

Reaction score
Great work and attention to detail. Just read this thread all the way through. I actually had a 23' Kryptonite I bought back in 2011. Went all the way to Florida and towed it back to Ohio. Had a 300XS hanging on it. I had it for three years, used it mostly in Ohio and Kentucky. Best riding boat in the chop I have owned. Started having kids and just didn't use the boat enough and sold it to a guy from Virginia. I regret it all the time.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Great work and attention to detail. Just read this thread all the way through. I actually had a 23' Kryptonite I bought back in 2011. Went all the way to Florida and towed it back to Ohio. Had a 300XS hanging on it. I had it for three years, used it mostly in Ohio and Kentucky. Best riding boat in the chop I have owned. Started having kids and just didn't use the boat enough and sold it to a guy from Virginia. I regret it all the time.
Thanks for the compliment.
Glad you found the forum! Bummer you sold it. I read somewhere there was one in Ohio, must have been you.
Do you happen to have any pics of it?

Last edited:

jmiller165

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment.
Glad you found the forum! Bummer you sold it. I read somewhere there was one in Ohio, must be been you.
Do you happen to have any pics of it?

I do have some pics, I'll dig around and post them. I now have a 16' Sea Ray Ski Ray that I got out of Michigan. Not quite like the Kryptonite but I can throw my three heathens on there and not worry about the sand and filfth. And if we go a month without using it no big deal. I'll be in the market for something fast again someday.

Headless hula

Reaction score
One more I found...this is down in Laurel Lake Kentucky View attachment 752156
Sweet!!!!
Do you happen to have any pics of the stern? Really interested to see what the setup was with the 300xs. Jackplate? Any kind of setback bracket, motor well?

I like the idea of the step on the front bulkhead to get on the bow. I've been forced to step on the front seat to get up there.

Also curious if you used the tabs very much? I see theres a Lenco control on the dash.

I'm planning on a set of k-planes, just because I want the option....

Any idea if your deck had core in it? Mine does not, and wondering if a deck hatch would weaken it.

jmiller165

Reaction score
Sweet!!!!
Do you happen to have any pics of the stern? Really interested to see what the setup was with the 300xs. Jackplate? Any kind of setback bracket, motor well?

I like the idea of the step on the front bulkhead to get on the bow. I've been forced to step on the front seat to get up there.

Also curious if you used the tabs very much? I see theres a Lenco control on the dash.

I'm planning on a set of k-planes, just because I want the option....

Any idea if your deck had core in it? Mine does not, and wondering if a deck hatch would weaken it.

That step was used often. I hate stepping on seats. I used the tabs quite a bit and it depended on load and what type of water I was on. It was only a 6" setback on a hydraulic jackplate. I was actually looking to set it back further and upgrade the jackplate before I sold it. Seemed liked it would have performed better set further back. Not sure on the core in the deck. Never had any issues with the hatch or the deck area around it. It was nice to open it up if you were sleeping in there. I think I have some pics of the stern, it did have a motor well.

Headless hula

Reaction score
That step was used often. I hate stepping on seats. I used the tabs quite a bit and it depended on load and what type of water I was on. It was only a 6" setback on a hydraulic jackplate. I was actually looking to set it back further and upgrade the jackplate before I sold it. Seemed liked it would have performed better set further back. Not sure on the core in the deck. Never had any issues with the hatch or the deck area around it. It was nice to open it up if you were sleeping in there. I think I have some pics of the stern, it did have a motor well.
Excellent!
What did you see for speed with that setup? I did 67 with mine being set back 26"... never fooled with raising it. I've heard they go mid 70's with 300hp?

jmiller165

Reaction score
Excellent!
What did you see for speed with that setup? I did 67 with mine being set back 26"... never fooled with raising it. I've heard they go mid 70's with 300hp?

73 was my best speed. I think it had more in it if I would have tweaked how it was setup. I also never took the time to take all the shit out of it to drop some pounds. I know the motor could have been raised too. The guy I bought it from set it up pretty conservative.

Headless hula

Reaction score
So after installing the transom, I had to fill all the holes left from the other setback bracket.
20190515_104858.jpg
20190513_190939.jpg
20190513_190944.jpg
20190514_165025.jpg

I ground them out from a 1/2" hole to roughly the diameter of a softball. Then layed enough layers of 1808 to overfill them. Let that cure for a few days to minimize the shrinkage before I ground that all flat.