WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chernobyl

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Been watching it. All of the guys at my station are hooked too. Pretty good job of keeping it period correct. Makes you wonder about how much we don’t know about other stuff going on in he world.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Wife and I just finished Episode 3. Great show!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
I'd love to do the tour at Chernobyl, its a bucket list item for me, always been fascinated by it. Wife says no but a couple guys at work are in.

Guys only trip is probably not a good idea though

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I'd love to do the tour at Chernobyl, its a bucket list item for me, always been fascinated by it. Wife says no but a couple guys at work are in.

I have been following this for awhile now. Something about seeing a once flourishing town/society, that is now still standing, but abandoned, has always been very intriguing to me.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I’ve always been obsessed with looking at pics and videos of Chernobyl. I was so excited for this series.

Just watched episode 4. Hasn’t been a disappointment at all. My wife is SUPER into it as well, and she was never interested in it before.

I highly recommend watching it too.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
I have been following this for awhile now. Something about seeing a once flourishing town/society, that is now still standing, but abandoned, has always been very intriguing to me.

I'd love the see the radioactive wildlife that has evolved in such a short time to adapt, its amazing.

But I do kind of want a radioactive wolf as a pet, TBH. Ultimate guard dog.

JD D05

Reaction score
Going to start it tonight thx

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I’m reading the new book called ... well Cernobyl. :D It’s amazing how close it came to wiping out the planet. Not just the surrounding areas.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Dammit.. This sounds interesting as hell... I dont have HBO though!! Wahhhh:D:D

The Prisoner

Reaction score
155FDD17-EDEA-4DDA-872A-923CC0E032F9.jpeg
Which Author?

The Prisoner

Reaction score

Shit. I’ll go. Looking at at pictures of Prypiat now is interesting and eerie. Especially pictures of the abandoned amusement park.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
They did film in a decommissioned “sister site” hence the realism.

westair

Reaction score
Watching this series really got me to pay attention to what's happening at the now closed San Onofre nuclear plant...... not good. Just a few miles from my house. You'd think the goverment would've had a plan on what to do with the 3.5 million lbs of spent lethal nuclear fuel rods so meanwhile they're storing in canisters a 100 yards off the beach. Each cannister has 50 tons of nuclear waste, each one a potential far worse than Chernobyl.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Watching this series really got me to pay attention to what's happening at the now closed San Onofre nuclear plant...... not good. Just a few miles from my house. You'd think the goverment would've had a plan on what to do with the 3.5 million lbs of spent lethal nuclear fuel rods so meanwhile they're storing in canisters a 100 yards off the beach. Each cannister has 50 tons of nuclear waste, each one a potential far worse than Chernobyl.

Read Command and Control if you want the shit scared out of you. How careless we were and maybe are with nuclear tipped ICBM’S.

infield

Reaction score
Read Command and Control if you want the shit scared out of you. How careless we were and maybe are with nuclear tipped ICBM’S.
That was a really good book, really hit home since the one incident at the titan 2 missile site near Rock, KS is directly 1/2 mile south of my house. We were the first people evacuated.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
That was a really good book, really hit home since the one incident at the titan 2 missile site near Rock, KS is directly 1/2 mile south of my house. We were the first people evacuated.
1/2 mile is too close for comfort when dealing with nuclear bomb explosions. :D

attitude

Reaction score
About a month ago I went on google maps and looked at it, it appears they are rebuilding some of the nuclear site. Google also has street view through the town and it looks like some people still live/work there.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
They just installed a massive steel dome over the site. What you saw was the construction yard for it. Took years to build and the EU paid for it

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

X2! I’m in!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
They just installed a massive steel dome over the site. What you saw was the construction yard for it. Took years to build and the EU paid for it

After the original structure was failing they tried to raise funds to fix it and came up massively short.

It’s only nuclear waste after all?

Hence EU.

Fukushima is a whole different thing nobody is talking about and everyone is turning a blind eye too. That fucking thing is killing the pacific and nobody seems to care.

JD D05

Reaction score
Watched episode 1 last night and I liked it. Anyone know how accurate this is?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

From everything I've read in the past, it seems pretty accurate. There are 3-4 articles that detail the inaccuracies, most of which were elaborated on for drama. I guess the writer also had a russian review the script and she made it more russian, so to speak.

Either way, its a great show. I wish it was more than 5 episodes, I feel like there is so much more left.

Carrera205

Reaction score
It let me watch the 1st episode on sunday. Got me hooked then asked me to upgrade to HBO package. Pissed me off cause the first episode was great. Took a bit to get used to English russians tho lol.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That stuff was prepared and headed to a facility deep in the earth but somehow the enviro-do-gooders did enough to halt it.

DaveH

Reaction score
After the original structure was failing they tried to raise funds to fix it and came up massively short.

It’s only nuclear waste after all?

Hence EU.

Fukushima is a whole different thing nobody is talking about and everyone is turning a blind eye too. That fucking thing is killing the pacific and nobody seems to care.
agreed and wondering if the lack of media attention is driven by not wanting to scare the shit (or worse) out of a third of the world population.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Pretty accurate from what i've heard. I read that the main lady character (the professor/scientist) was not an actual person, but rather she plays the role of dozens of academics/scientists that were trying to figure out what went wrong from a technical standpoint, They condensed them into a singular character for simplicity sake.

Tank

Reaction score
Chernobyl has always fascinated me. Although, most things that time has forgotten and left abandoned fascinate me and always have since I was a kid. I used to follow that chick that rode her M/C into the no-go zone. Cool website to check out her rides. http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter3.html

I'm trying to watch the series but my wife is like, "this shit is too depressing to watch!" So, I'm trying to find time. :D

The Chernobyl meltdown is the worst human disaster in history. Russia also owns the distinction of being responsible for the 3rd worst nuclear disaster in history as well from a completely covered up meltdown that occurred in 1957. The CIA knew about that meltdown but kept it from the American people due to the concerns the people of the U.S. already had about the nuclear program.

They say the area around the disaster will not be inhabitable for the next twenty thousand years (yes 20k years!).

CcjQ-oQUsAALKBz.jpg
Chernobyl before 1986 (11).jpg

chernobyl-pictures-before-after-3.jpg

chernobyl-pictures-before-after-6.jpg

chernobyl-pictures-before-after-8.jpg

chernobyl-pictures-before-after-9.jpg

chernobyl-pictures-before-after-10.jpg

chernobyl-pictures-before-after-11.jpg

chernobyl-pictures-before-after-12.jpg

JK2Dn9RyZIg.jpg
MEmTKgkkxK4.jpg

novyj-kollazh.jpg

Carrera205

Reaction score
Can't tell if I'm looking at the USSR or North Korea in those pics.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
The detail of the Soviet moon rover and west German bomb police robot are spot on. That’s the level of accuracy.

Real Mi-8 helos etc.

I thought it was cool that they had mi-8’s.

What was the helo that they lowered the German robot with? The big one with wing lookin things on the sides?

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Last nights episode was rough with the pet squad, but damn, its so compelling. Skaargard is killing it as Boris, I loved his speech about the Russian character of suffering and sacrifice, and that with a rifle pointed at you, these people doing remarkable things knowing that it will kill them either sooner or later. The part with the German robot failing because the party still gave the propaganda BS on the measurements was hilarious, once again government thinking.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
There are people floating the idea of shooting that shit into space to be rid of it. Not sure if that is a good idea or a bad idea but it was an interesting take none the less.

Tank

Reaction score
There are people floating the idea of shooting that shit into space to be rid of it. Not sure if that is a good idea or a bad idea but it was an interesting take none the less.
Actually not a bad idea at all. There's so much radiation already in space. Just shoot that shit out and let it go on forever (or until it hits something or burns up in entry to a planet).

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Extremely accurate.
I haven't watched it, and I've always been very curious about Chernobyl. As a point of reference (no Googling), how many people died? Official UN report. Just guess. Curious what the group remembers.

If you know the actual number, save it for a bit.

rrrr

Reaction score
That stuff was prepared and headed to a facility deep in the earth but somehow the enviro-do-gooders did enough to halt it.

That would be former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, (D) Nevada, and former president and Chief Idiot Barack Obama. The federal government spent over $10 billion to develop the Yucca Flats nuclear waste storage facility at the Nevada Test Site. Reid torpedoed legislation that would have put it in operation, and Obama permanently killed the effort.

The facility consists of a vertical shaft, and caverns excavated at the bottom to hold the waste. The waste would have been vitrified, that is mixed with molten glass, and placed in specially designed casks that were virtually indestructible. It was estimated the geologic structure of the site would be stable for at least 10,000 years, and likely up to 1 million years.

Exhaustive studies by scientific experts determined the buried waste would result in human exposure of approximately .24 millirems per year for the immediate area over a 10,000 year period. That compares to the 350 millirem radiation exposure the average person absorbs annually from sunlight.

Reid's opposition was reinforced by Obama's decision to abandon the project completely. As a result, waste that would have been safely sealed underground for tens of thousands of years is stored above ground in a variety of containers including leaking 55 gallon drums at over 140 nuclear facilities scattered across the United States. The amount of waste exceeds 150 million pounds.

The US government now pays the nuclear industry about $40 million annually for failing to dispose of the waste in accordance with laws passed in 1998. Because of political issues, millions of people in the US are endangered by the haphazard storage of the waste.

Much of the controversy about the facility involved the movement of the waste across the US by truck and rail. This video of a test involving a train traveling at 100 MPH shows that the dangers posed by transportation of the waste to the facility are virtually nonexistent. The waste would be transported in specially manufactured steel and concrete casks. There are several other videos of tests on YouTube.

There's no doubt in my mind that a significant release of nuclear waste that endangers the public will happen someday, because of the stupidity of our government and the ignorance of groups like the Sierra Club and Greenpeace.

A graphic that explains the features of the Yucca Flats facility:

487px-Yucca_Mountain_-_Nuclear_Waste_Repository.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
Fukushima is a whole different thing nobody is talking about and everyone is turning a blind eye to. That fucking thing is killing the pacific and nobody seems to care.

Chernobyl poses a much greater risk to the public. Fukushima's nuclear fuel rods are still within the reactor containment structure and being cooled by circulating water, and radiation leakage is negligible.

This document produced by the World Nuclear Association provides an excellent overview of the incident and the aftereffects. It is scientific in nature, and free from the hysteria most coverage of the accident contains.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...rity/safety-of-plants/fukushima-accident.aspx

westair

Reaction score
That train test was pretty convincing ….. wow!

rrrr

Reaction score
That train test was pretty convincing ….. wow!

Plus it has the added attraction of shit being destroyed, which we've all enjoyed since the age of three. :D