WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

?? For the plumbing experts??

240Hallett

Reaction score
844E191D-249E-4790-9CE2-E64BA8885E52.jpeg
Can brass fittings be taken apart with heat like they were put together? I need to replace this shut off valve...

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Yes they can as long as you don’t get it too hot while in sweating it. As well as making sure is clean as hell when sweating it back on, brass gets finicky. Honestly, I would put a new one back in. A 3/4” ball valve like that is $9 at Lowe’s/HD.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yea, damn, just GETTING to the valve will be a job.

Cut the pipe going down...and start working backwards from there.

Heat it up and use channel locks to loosen the joint. Make sure there is no water in the pipes, otherwise you are chasing your tail. Two person job is prolly easiest.

If you don't have a "lock on" torch, I have one you can use if you need it if you are the one using it. ;)

Brian

You should always replace an old valve when you can.
Cheap insurance.....
You sure got a lot going on in that small space.
Good luck.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
True story. Gottobedonethough.

My only fear of sweating fittings apart...especially when you have a whole bunch close together, is fucking up more connections than the one I want to remove.

240Hallett

Reaction score
63E627DB-4D27-496E-A81C-3A5BD2E5A943.jpeg
Valve is getting replaced because it doesn’t shut off 100%. My thought was to put in an adapter on the right side of the valve to switch over to pipe threads down to the flexible hose. Does this make sense?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
View attachment 761508 Valve is getting replaced because it doesn’t shut off 100%. My thought was to put in an adapter on the right side of the valve to switch over to pipe threads down to the flexible hose. Does this make sense?

Yeap, I always use pipe thread adapters for valves like that.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
A little easier, just disconnect the flex pipe and doworkson.

View attachment 761508 Valve is getting replaced because it doesn’t shut off 100%. My thought was to put in an adapter on the right side of the valve to switch over to pipe threads down to the flexible hose. Does this make sense?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yeah, if it was me I'd start fresh from wall stub so as to only need to do it once.
That secondary line that's T'd off the bottom doesn't seem to have a shutoff.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Second picture better could not tell what all was on left. Replace from valve to supply line. Just heat up and remove the valve on ri GB t side.
That was the plan, so I could re-route it away from the sink a little bit.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Yeah, if it was me I'd start fresh from wall stub so as to only need to do it once.
That secondary line that's T'd off the bottom doesn't seem to have a shutoff.
Don’t try to extend my agony Zig :mad: I’m only there for the weekend.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Old plumbing is a bitch, especially in tight places like that.
I'd probably take the easy approach and just disconnect the flex line, install a brass street elbow or two if needed, install a new NPT valve and reconnect the flex line.
Otherwise I'd disconnect the flex line, un-solder at the tee making sure to wrap a wet rag around the other side. Sweat a new male NPT adapter in with a new NPT valve.
I sure you'll get a hundred different answer though.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Old plumbing is a bitch, especially in tight places like that.
I'd probably take the easy approach and just disconnect the flex line, install a brass street elbow or two if needed, install a new NPT valve and reconnect the flex line.
Otherwise I'd disconnect the flex line, un-solder at the tee making sure to wrap a wet rag around the other side. Sweat a new male NPT adapter in with a new NPT valve.
I sure you'll get a hundred different answer though.
So you’re saying leave all that shit there and just add a new shut off valve (that actually shuts) just before the flex line?

Backlash

Reaction score
Just make sure if you buy a shutoff valve that is threaded on both ends, you tape and tighten those suckers down really well before you sweat everything into place. I had a few that leaked afterwards and had to pull them back out to tighten them down again.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Did the leaking valves prompt a Phoebe Cates episode?

Just make sure if you buy a shutoff valve that is threaded on both ends, you tape and tighten those suckers down really well before you sweat everything into place. I had a few that leaked afterwards and had to pull them back out to tighten them down again.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!
I’ll pick up a valve and a handful of fittings and see what happens when I get out there…

Spudsbud

Reaction score
make sure there is enough room to spin on the new valve so the valve stem don't hit the wall!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Sounds like the makings of an excellent youtube video.

Maybe you need some help? :)

Thanks for all the replies!
I’ll pick up a valve and a handful of fittings and see what happens when I get out there…

240Hallett

Reaction score
Hey, at least you'll only F up one weekend.:D:p
Hopefully just a couple of hours. If it’s the whole weekend I’m going to have some pissed off “guests”. It’s the supply line to the interior of the house.:rolleyes:
Disclaimer : I might not be a plumber:eek:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Hopefully just a couple of hours. If it’s the whole weekend I’m going to have some pissed off “guests”. It’s the supply line to the interior of the house.:rolleyes:
Disclaimer : I might not be a plumber:eek:
Gotcha, gotta keep the guests gruntled, not disgruntled:)

NicPaus

Reaction score
Rolling out tonight to Parker with one of my plumbing buddies. If you run into problems post his coworker just moved to Havasu few months back. Can send him over to help.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Rolling out tonight to Parker with one of my plumbing buddies. If you run into problems post his coworker just moved to Havasu few months back. Can send him over to help.
Appreciate it. Thank you!

Justfishing

Reaction score
What are the flex lines connected to?

You could add a valve using a union. Then use braided hose like is available for water heaters. The braided hoses have compression fittings. This would make the valve and braided hose easily replaceable.

Last edited:

240Hallett

Reaction score
What are the flex lines connected to?

You could add a valve using a union. Then use braided hose like is available for water heaters. The braided hoses have compression fittings. This would make the valve and braided hose easily replaceable.
The line coming out of the valve supplies the inside of the house. There is a water softener and water heater right there. I believe it goes to the water softener first.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
The line coming out of the valve supplies the inside of the house. There is a water softener and water heater right there. I believe it goes to the water softener first.
Does the smaller pipe before the valve go to the outside irrigation.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Does the smaller pipe before the valve go to the outside irrigation.
Outside sink. Outside irrigation is after the main valve that comes out of the ground but before this one. That way I can shut off the house water when I leave and leave irrigation on.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Outside sink. Outside irrigation is after the main valve that comes out of the ground but before this one. That way I can shut off the house water when I leave and leave irrigation on.
That's how mine is set up. Last year I went to go home and the valve handle broke off with the valve almost shut. I had Carey come change the valve while I was gone so I could turn the water on the next trip..:)

buck35

Reaction score
As socaldave said put a wet rag where you want to stop the heat soak , messing up the upstream connections.