WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tuff 28 w/ Merc 860

hallett21

Reaction score
30 gallon belly tank, would be happier with a 40 gallon but Mark will only put a 30 in the 21.
I'll have to go out an measure the cockpit depth.
Gel.

Do you have any idea what a 21,24,28 costs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H2O

Reaction score
How much fuel does it hold?
Belly tank or side tank?
Whats cockpit depth?
Paint or gel?

UD

The main fuel tank is 60 gallons and located under the floor (belly tank). There is a 20 gallon auxiliary tank that sits under the rear hatch behind the sofa seat and is removable.

Like most high end East Coast Boats it is painted. They used Awlgrip with a clear coat finished. Like I said in my first post, the photos really don't do it justice it is truly a must see. (i.e. cockpit photo is way over-exposed, looks much richer in person)

I don't know the cockpit depth in inches, but maybe you can get an idea from these photos:

BFF9389F-0548-4DAE-93E1-8F345D4A79DF.jpg
3EBBAC27-0928-478F-BB37-E62644D66CFC.jpg

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I thought boats with pads weren’t great for rough water?

Or is it just that they’re more “driver’s boats” when it gets rough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The main fuel tank is 60 gallons and located under the floor (belly tank). There is a 20 gallon auxiliary tank that sits under the rear hatch behind the sofa seat and is removable.

Like most high end East Coast Boats the boat is painted. They used Awlgrip and is clear coat finished. Like I said in my first post, the photos really don't do it justice, it is truly a must see. (i.e. cockpit photo is way over-exposed, looks much richer in person)

I don't know the cockpit depth in inches, but maybe you can get an idea from these photos:

View attachment 763348 View attachment 763349

Thanks. Seem like a real neat piece.
Reminds me a bit of an activator with better paint and finish.
Like a bigger allison pad v.

60 gallons - hmmm well that beats tiny fountain 27's 50.
How does one get fuel to the main tank from a single large removable aux tank - an onboard pump or something?

How does Tuff measure the length of the boat?

I can't clearly see how the gunwhale storage is accomplished.
Some appear with no useable space, others appear to be holes, and I can't tell how this is done - are they complete or partial fiberglass inserts? instead? or just holes lined with interior pieces?

It's relatively small to most other 28's, but it certainly is fast . Like a little bigger allison pad v.

Rig looks like an absolute ball in the morning, not so much coming back from Catalina in the afternoon,
Big lakes - hard to tell, but 22 degrees is pretty flat.

Id love a ride in any of them.

UD

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 2.06.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 2.06.56 PM.png

spectras only

Reaction score
Uncle Dave, 22 degree is still a DeepVee. Ask Dave how's his 27 Hallett handles Havasu or Mead?;)
What people need to consider, the TUFF 24's narrow 7' beam more than making up for the minus 2* deadrise from a true 24*.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what a 21,24,28 costs?

I have the pricing lists for the 21 and 28 from 2015. The 21 (which I have heard is no longer being built but can't confirm) was $ 49,100.00, the 28 was $ 95,000.00. Both without power, with full interior, hydraulic steering and gauges.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I don't have a ton of experience in a lot of boats, but isn't "how does it run in moderate chop" extremely subjective? I mean, it's a 28' boat. I ran my 19' Daytona Daycruiser jet boat during the biggest weekends Havasu had and I was fine. In the air a lot, but fine.

Are there certain safety issues boats like this have when it gets choppy, or are you worried it's going to be more bumpy than other boats this size?
Of course any answer will be subjective. However, I don’t think its a difficult question. Just asking for his subjective opinion.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
The way the hydraulic steering was set up on mine it gets uncontrollable in moderate boat chop above 50 mph. Below that it's rock solid even over several different wake surf rollers converging in the same area. I had the serious pucker factor going as I approached them but the boat handled them with ease.

The boat was rigged with the Capilano helm and the Sea Star Pro ram, those two do not play well with one another. In small wind chop the boat is still difficult to keep on the pad but handles a lot better. The steering does not react fast enough to keep up the what the boat is doing so some changes are needed. Planning on ski racing with it so it is apart now, hopefully completed by the October races at Havasu Springs.
Thanks for the response

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
They need to build a 1750 variant now

Have you EVER posted a positive comment ?

Every single thing I've ever read is a bash on whatever thread it is. Fer fucks sake. Go fuck off to whatever happy land you were in up in Alaska fixing junk outboards, or selling surplus to the beaners with trucks too small to haul the shit to the drug dealers in Mexico.

Holy fuck I'm tired of reading your fucking bullshit.

Fuck you

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

Every single thing I've ever read is a bash on whatever thread it is. Fer fucks sake. Go fuck off to whatever happy land you were in up in Alaska fixing junk outboards, or selling surplus to the beaners with trucks too small to haul the shit to the drug dealers in Mexico.

Fuck you
Lmao jesus

Headless hula

Reaction score
Lmao jesus
Honestly. This guy has been shitposting since I dont know when. I'd like to think I keep a fairly regular presence here, at least until recently, and have NEVER ONCE seen a positive post, or a single fucking helpful thing. Tired of his piss poor, everything is garbage, merc sucks, blah blah blah. Fuck this guy.

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score

Fuck you

OMG!!! Savagery level 10

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Fuck you

Should I call PopTart and tell her you need a hug?

GregG

Reaction score
Rig looks like an absolute ball in the morning, not so much coming back from Catalina in the afternoon, Big lakes - hard to tell, but 22 degrees is pretty flat.

UD

View attachment 763365 View attachment 763366

The most you can get in any deep V is 24 degrees with very few exceptions. 22 degrees isn't pretty flat IMO.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Uncle Dave, 22 degree is still a DeepVee. Ask Dave how's his 27 Hallett handles Havasu or Mead?;)
What people need to consider, the TUFF 24's narrow 7' beam more than making up for the minus 2* deadrise from a true 24*.
The most you can get in any deep V is 24 degrees with very few exceptions. 22 degrees isn't pretty flat IMO.

I guess that all depends on one's perspective.

A howard bullett at 22.5 is considered flat by the 24 degree offshore guys.

If you are used to 24 and run with 24's in water then 22 degrees is a marked difference.

Many would refer to a 22-degree boat as more of a lake boat than say an ocean boat.

I'm familiar with all the West Coast boats and what historically wins from an offshore perspective.

I'm extremely lucky that I get to ride in more boats than most and get to feel these differences.

UD

spectras only

Reaction score
I think 'Brave Moppie' had 26* that was rare. Ray Hunt designed Moppie for rough water at Cowes Torquay for setting a record in 1965.

13.jpg

spectras only

Reaction score
The moppie kicked ass-

I guess if you were a passenger you don't get safety gear.

Yeah, story is, Dick chit his pants on that ride.:D Cowes can kick up some serious water.

Ps; Terry B, the guy who owned my Mirage in the past, had a 35 Nordic with 1800HP before bought his OL that has 1550Sterlings. He said, his 35 Nordic was a LAKE BOAT;):D
So, offshore guys can rag on 22 or 24* deadrise boats all day, IF they own a Apache or Outerlimit only, IMO:p:)

My Mirage with the 35 Nordic next to me when Terry had it.I believe his Nordic did low 110's, was pretty remarkable back then.

Last edited:

H2O

Reaction score
Thanks. Seem like a real neat piece.
Reminds me a bit of an activator with better paint and finish.
Like a bigger allison pad v.

60 gallons - hmmm well that beats tiny fountain 27's 50.
How does one get fuel to the main tank from a single large removable aux tank - an onboard pump or something?

How does Tuff measure the length of the boat?

I can't clearly see how the gunwhale storage is accomplished.
Some appear with no useable space, others appear to be holes, and I can't tell how this is done - are they complete or partial fiberglass inserts? instead? or just holes lined with interior pieces?

It's relatively small to most other 28's, but it certainly is fast . Like a little bigger allison pad v.

Rig looks like an absolute ball in the morning, not so much coming back from Catalina in the afternoon,
Big lakes - hard to tell, but 22 degrees is pretty flat.

UD

View attachment 763365 View attachment 763366

Getting back to you UD:

- There is storage for smaller items in the gunwales of the Tuff 28 we have been discussing. Some are trimmed out differently. Check out the attached cockpit photo, with the red arrows.
- There is a large storage area under the rear hatch..lots of space, even with the removable auxiliary fuel tank in place.
- The area under the bow is is flat and carpeted. You could fab up some trays or dividers for customized storage.

The auxiliary tank feeds the main tank via gravity, and can be opened manually with an inline ball valve. Simple but effective.

The boat is for sale and you can have an extended test drive anytime you want to jet down to Palm Beach!

cockpit .jpg
storage.JPG
bow.JPG

Andy B.

Reaction score
Getting back to you UD:

- There is storage for smaller items in the gunwales of the Tuff 28 we have been discussing. Some are trimmed out differently. Check out the attached cockpit photo, with the red arrows.
- There is a large storage area under the rear hatch..lots of space, even with the removable auxiliary fuel tank in place.
- The area under the bow is is flat and carpeted. You could fab up some trays or dividers for customized storage.

The auxiliary tank feeds the main tank via gravity, and can be opened manually with an inline ball valve. Simple but effective.

The boat is for sale and you can have an extended test drive anytime you want to jet down to Palm Beach!

View attachment 763764 View attachment 763765 View attachment 763766

Nice and clean to bad it's out of my price range I think they look very cool sitting in the water I love the lines!!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Getting back to you UD:

View attachment 763764 View attachment 763765 View attachment 763766

OK cool got it ......how is that constructed -
Is it a fiberglass molded piece placed inside the opening? Or a carpeted hole?

IN the back - It looks like the outboard version is essentially the same as the I/O version in that the rear seat bulkhead appears fixed.

Aux tank is a neat idea and with an outboard setup, you have the room to mount stuff elsewhere other than on the back of the bulkhead.
I don't know if thats kosher from a coast guard and EPA perspective as each tank is supposed to have a carbon canister and anti overfill protection.
It looks really clean and neat regardless of the rules...

Looks really sweet and fun.

UD

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Looks like they had to modify the transom to fit the drive. With the way the Tuff's like to get up on the pad I imagine that was a hell of a ride at 124. Can't wait to see the video of it running.

Here's a 28 with twin 300xs I love how these things sit on the water at speed.

Wow....only the pad, the transom and the drives are in the water!

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score

Fuck you
#torn2shreds

Headless hula

Reaction score
#torn2shreds
In both of our defence, (mine, and the person I quoted).... there was some significant misunderstanding between both parties involved.

I interpreted his comment to be bashing, and in turn, I was writing like an asshat...

After a brief PM, I've come to the understanding that his post was in jest, and my response was unwarranted.

However.

The rules of this forum are clearly stated on the front page. Be nice or leave....

That stated, I have no problem with helping others eat a shit sammich with a knife and fork. ;)....

No reason to not use manners. :p:p:p

Headless hula

Reaction score
The Tuff boats are the coolest damn thing to come out of canaderp since letterkenny.....

If you dont know what either of those things are in their entirety, please google the shit out of both before posting a well educated response. :D:eek:

Canada sux.:cool:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The Tuff boats are the coolest damn thing to come out of canaderp since letterkenny.....

If you dont know what either of those things are in their entirety, please google the shit out of both before posting a well educated response. :D:eek:

Canada sux.:cool:

Fuck yeah!! I LOVE me some Letterkenny! I'll reserve putting Tuff in the same category for myself until I see one in person. What I've seen online though makes it a real possibility for them to be in the same level.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Headless hula

Reaction score
Fuck yeah!! I LOVE me some Letterkenny! I'll reserve putting Tuff in the same category for myself until I see one in person. What I've seen online though makes it a real possibility for them to be in the same level.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Well, in that case.....

Give yer balls a tug ya tit fucker.....

:D

Headless hula

Reaction score
God damn those motors are mounted high. Looks like the propshaft is 5” above the bottom of the boat!
All about perspective.... what ya figure mines mounted at, looking at this pic?
20190604_163523.jpg

Dont cheat either, cuz you probably looked at my build thread....:p:p:p

In the pic of the tuff, look at his setback bracket. They're all the way up for trailering.....

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
All about perspective.... what ya figure mines mounted at, looking at this pic? View attachment 776377

Dont cheat either, cuz you probably looked at my build thread....:p:p:p
Haha I haven’t seen your build thread but looks about even with the bottom? Maybe 1” above..?

Yeah I know the camera angle can play tricks, but regardless those motors on the 28 are mounted HIGH