WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Los Angles DWP That's a lot of scratch.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Overtime payouts at the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power have hit a record $250 million dollars. Data shows that more than 300 employees made $100,000 or more in overtime, nearly a 1000% increase from just five years earlier. Principal security officer, Ricardo Frias, the man who received the biggest overtime check, earned 12 times his base salary totaling $313,865. In a statement released today, June 11th, the group, Transparent California, stated that the average LADWP worker made $134,600 last year, and when the cost of employer-paid retirement and health benefits is added in - $199,764. Other top earners from the LADWP include:

1. Electric Distribution Mechanic Supervisor Joseph Strafford, who made $452,659.

2. Senior Load Dispatcher Mark Hardie, who made $443,610.

3. Senior Load Dispatcher Robert Goodson, who made $432,727.

The statement also reported that, "payroll expenses at the LADWP were vastly higher than peer utility agencies, both regionally and nationwide. Specifically, the study found the LADWP's total payroll expense was equal to $488 per customer served, whereas the median rate among large utility companies nationwide was only $282."

If the numbers are indeed reported correctly, this would suggest that the LADWP is dishing out an additional $424 million annually in comparison to the median peer utility company nationwide.

Water rates have steadily been increasing by an average 5.26 percent annually, due to the 5-year rate hike plan set by the LADWP.

Transparent California also looked at overtime payments from the LA Fire Department. The top earner there made just over 300,000 in overtime last year.

The LADWP says the overtime is due to vacancies in some of its key positions. It says it has consistently taken steps to recruit more skilled workers and reduce its overtime hours while still operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

These guys make the overtime at the fire department look like chump change. LOL

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I’m sure it has to do with minimum deployment standards.

RCDave

Reaction score
Just another monopolistic government controlled union labor entity. With its customers forced into insane utility rates to fund massive inefficiency, pensions, and
Incompetent management....Just like Southern California Edison.

Murderers too

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Just another monopolistic government controlled union labor entity. With its customers forced into insane utility rates to fund massive inefficiency, pensions, and
Incompetent management....Just like Southern California Edison.

Murderers too

Well, step up buttercup...

I doubt you could do any of those jobs except the security guard.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
You forgot to mention their $50M + slush fund for partying and lavish travel ...

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
In the hierarchy of power in the USA the utilities have MORE POWER than the government (politicians).

Obviously working in the government is a good paying job with great bennies if you can handle the bureaucracy. Working for a utility is even better IF you can get in.

If I could do it all over again I would've done everything possible to get into either

77charger

Reaction score
I have an uncle who worked for dwp for 30 years started at the very bottom got his foot in the door,He told me he took all the overtime they gave him now upper 50s been retired for a while with a great pension.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
A lot of city workers of all descriptions try to lateral to DWP. Higher pay has been the norm for years.
The money they bring in along with LAX is what makes the city roll.

All talk of insolvency iis political BS leveraging.
Planes on west pads still paying one million a month to park. Usually 15-20 planes there every afternoon.

Shell game

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
In the hierarchy of power in the USA the utilities have MORE POWER than the government (politicians).

Obviously working in the government is a good paying job with great bennies if you can handle the bureaucracy. Working for a utility is even better IF you can get in.

If I could do it all over again I would've done everything possible to get into either
Sometimes it's all about timing....:D

grumpy88

Reaction score
Most people would puke if you went down to the building on spring . The massive amount of financial waste is insane . And after there done raping the rate payer they hand the city 450 million to put in the city genreal fund . Ass holes !!

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Keeping the lights on and clean water flowing 24/7-365 to a city the size of LA is pretty darn important and isn’t an easy task. I’d be willing to bet just as many if not more utility workers die or are severely injured on the job then police and firefighters. Those stories just don’t make the news as much.

I’m certainly not saying they’re equal when it comes to heroism and sacrifice, but there is a lot of both for all disciplines, just in different ways.

And it’s government, so yes, it’s completely inefficient and management is totally incompetent. That’s the name of the game. Inexperienced/unrealistic shot callers. How can we waste more money and accomplish less lol.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Well, step up buttercup...

I doubt you could do any of those jobs except the security guard.
I can manage cost better than these guys. That’s all I need to know how to do

One doesn’t need to know how to do the actual job just a understand of where the cost is. Simple enough. Those top people listed should all be fired for this

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Hell No! Power Linemen don't get paid to sit around electric Dept waiting for trouble/outage call, Nor do we get paid to sleep while on duty.
We earn our wages 24/7/365 and if we didn't, your power would be off!

So why are they saying they are turning the power of for people in inclement weather from now on? :)

Obviously I understand it is not YOUR personal call, but the power companies are horribly mismanaged, and LADWP is THE WORST.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
So why are they saying they are turning the power of for people in inclement weather from now on? :)

Obviously I understand it is not YOUR personal call, but the power companies are horribly mismanaged, and LADWP is THE WORST.

Well when you want sue sue sue. When some one is not negligent. And just the nature of the beast. Why wouldn’t they. I have no problem with it. I like the fuck you attitude. We’ve been told to buy a generator because sce is going to do it. Just wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

That's not the whole picture. Power shut offs will occur in high fire danger areas when conditions present exceptionally high risk of a fire, not "inclement weather".

Since the state mandates the power companies serve residents even in high fire danger areas, the power companies cannot refuse to do so on the basis that putting electrical equipment in those areas presents a fire hazard. At the same time, the state has also so far refused to share the burden if electrical equipment in a high fire danger area causes a fire, even if the electrical company has perfectly followed all maintenance and operational protocols as prescribed by the state.

This puts the power companies in a tough spot. Since they cannot refuse to serve certain areas but they can control temporary outages based on operational need, this becomes the strategy.

Can't really blame them. It's a lot like being told by the state you have to build a building on an earthquake fault and then having them say "You're on your own" when an earthquake comes along and causes the building to collapse.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That's not the whole picture. Power shut offs will occur in high fire danger areas when conditions present exceptionally high risk of a fire, not "inclement weather".

Since the state mandates the power companies serve residents even in high fire danger areas, the power companies cannot refuse to do so on the basis that putting electrical equipment in those areas presents a fire hazard. At the same time, the state has also so far refused to share the burden if electrical equipment in a high fire danger area causes a fire, even if the electrical company has perfectly followed all maintenance and operational protocols as prescribed by the state.

This puts the power companies in a tough spot. Since they cannot refuse to serve certain areas but they can control temporary outages based on operational need, this becomes the strategy.

Can't really blame them. It's a lot like being told by the state you have to build a building on an earthquake fault and then having them say "You're on your own" when an earthquake comes along and causes the building to collapse.

Just wait.. they will shut off more and more of the grid for any reason to push you into solar, generator, and battery backup solutions.

You can absolutely blame them. Why can’t they maintain their equipment? In many of the large fires in the last few years there were recent reported power equipment failures or problems that were not addressed BEFORE the fires started.

If they can’t maintain the integrity of their equipment in remote areas, they should not service those areas at all. Of course the state will never say no to more property tax money, so people build giant homes further and further into remote areas and utility companies serve them.

The Porter Ranch natural gas leak is a perfect example.. a totally preventable incident that happened because the utility companies have the politicians in their pocket. Because it was a utility company that caused it and Jerry Brown’s sister is on the board of Sempra, the biggest natural gas leak in the history of the world got swept under the rug.

Last edited:

Brobee

Reaction score
I’m a power lineman in San Diego. I made over a 100K in ot last year and the year before. As of last week, I have around 900hrs of ot so far this year. And while looking at it from behind a keyboard it looks like we’re overpaid labor, each one of those hours was time away from my family, missed baseball practices and missed sleep. I work in the rain, at night, in the heat, during wind storms, lightning storms. I’ve worked on Christmas, New Years, and most weekends. I’m able to provide a good life for my family and sacrifice so my wife can spend more time with my boys. I don’t know how dwp works but I doubt these guys are racking in the ot from home eating dinner and playing with the kids. And as far as turning off the power during extreme weather events, it’s a litigious world. All the utilities are looking at PG&E as a cautionary tale on what not to do. My utility made it though last fire season without a fire and part of that was because they did preemptive shut offs. So you can definitely expect more of that. Like the poster above me said if you don’t like it buy a generator. And as an FYI, whenever there’s a turn off for safety, before the power can be restored every line and pole has to have physical eyes on them to ensure there isn’t any damage or tree limbs or anything that could start a fire if it’s energized. When I did it last year, I kept getting yelled at and complaining about the outage and my standard response was “At least you’re not on fire.”

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m a power lineman in San Diego. I made over a 100K in ot last year and the year before. As of last week, I have around 900hrs of ot so far this year. And while looking at it from behind a keyboard it looks like we’re overpaid labor, each one of those hours was time away from my family, missed baseball practices and missed sleep. I work in the rain, at night, in the heat, during wind storms, lightning storms. I’ve worked on Christmas, New Years, and most weekends. I’m able to provide a good life for my family and sacrifice so my wife can spend more time with my boys. I don’t know how dwp works but I doubt these guys are racking in the ot from home eating dinner and playing with the kids. And as far as turning off the power during extreme weather events, it’s a litigious world. All the utilities are looking at PG&E as a cautionary tale on what not to do. My utility made it though last fire season without a fire and part of that was because they did preemptive shut offs. So you can definitely expect more of that. Like the poster above me said if you don’t like it buy a generator. And as an FYI, whenever there’s a turn off for safety, before the power can be restored every line and pole has to have physical eyes on them to ensure there isn’t any damage or tree limbs or anything that could start a fire if it’s energized. When I did it last year, I kept getting yelled at and complaining about the outage and my standard response was “At least you’re not on fire.”

I’m glad you are making a good living.

In the private sector they just hire another guy when someone works 900 hours of overtime in 6 months.

Anyway, someone will come along and tell me just like with Fireman, the business best practices of employing field lineman defy all tenants of employment that work in the private sector and it is too complicated for me to understand why that is.

Again, that is not directed at you. Get all you can while you can get it.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

The point is not the overtime, it’s the misuse of it. I get it, you needed to work x mas or that one random weekend. But if every week your working 60+ hours. It’s time to hire someone else and get the producer quality labor back to what it should be. It’s a known fact that chronic overtime produces crap work.

No way in hell a senior load dispatcher should be making 400,000 a year!

I know that’s not your title but the point is still the same

Brobee

Reaction score
The Porter Ranch natural gas leak is a perfect example.. a totally preventable incident that happened because the utility companies have the politicians in their pocket. Because it was a utility company that caused it and Jerry Brown’s sister is on the board of Sempra, the biggest natural gas leak in the history of the world got swept under the rug.

It was a lead story nationally for months and Sempra paid 120 mil fine to the state. I mean that’s a pretty shitty rug.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It was a lead story nationally for months and Sempra paid 120 mil fine to the state. I mean that’s a pretty shitty rug.

They fought payments and relocations of residents of the surrounding areas every step of the way. They denied the whole thing was an issue for months.

Sempra energy’s market cap is 34B, and had a 120M fine for the biggest leak in the history of the world.

VW’s market cap is 77B and we’re fined 2.8B for their emissions scandal.

BP’s market cap is $139B and they paid $4B in fines for the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Sempra fucking skated with a slap on the wrist.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Just wait.. they will shut off more and more of the grid for any reason to push you into solar, generator, and battery backup solutions.

You can absolutely blame them. Why can’t they maintain their equipment? In many of the large fires in the last few years there were recent reported power equipment failures or problems that were not addressed BEFORE the fires started.

If they can’t maintain the integrity of their equipment in remote areas, they should not service those areas at all. Of course the state will never say no to more property tax money, so people build giant homes further and further into remote areas and utility companies serve them.

This I disagree with . The gas storage facility has been there long before porter ranch . A accident happened and it was stopped and the utility aka rate payer has paid the bill for clean up . They are building thousands of new homes under this same natural gas holding facility today . At what point is it your fault for buying a home beneath a natural gas holding facility ? I have a place below the parker dam and if there is a accident it's on me . The dam was there way before I was .

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I’m glad you are making a good living.

In the private sector they just hire another guy when someone works 900 hours of overtime in 6 months.

Anyway, someone will come along and tell me just like with Fireman, the business best practices of employing field lineman defy all tenants of employment that work in the private sector an it is too complicated for me to understand why that is.

Again, that is not directed at you. Get all you can while you can get it.
We said the same thing

Brobee

Reaction score
The point is not the overtime, it’s the misuse of it. I get it, you needed to work x mas or that one random weekend. But if every week your working 60+ hours. It’s time to hire someone else and get the producer quality labor back to what it should be. It’s a known fact that chronic overtime produces crap work.

No way in hell a senior load dispatcher should be making 400,000 a year!

I know that’s not your title but the point is still the same

We’ve been open hiring for years. There’s a huge shortage of lineman nationwide much less in so cal. PG&E is experiencing a mass exodus of quality lineman leaving to go work for contractors. It’s well known around here that it’s an open checkbook. Lack of supply drives demand. It takes 3-4 years of an apprenticeship to make a qualified electrical worker. Another 3-4 until he’s worth a damn. But the population keeps going up. The load keeps going higher. And the infrastructure keeps needing to be built and more importantly, maintained. It’s not a problem that’s going to go away. Not during my career.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Yep..My buddy worked 7/12's after the fires last year up north for 6 weeks. Never came home and didn't see his kids or wife the entire time. Not enough qualified people to hire to help out. So the work gets done on OT. Enjoy your pension when you retire. :)

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
We’ve been open hiring for years. There’s a huge shortage of lineman nationwide much less in so cal. PG&E is experiencing a mass exodus of quality lineman leaving to go work for contractors. It’s well known around here that it’s an open checkbook. Lack of supply drives demand. It takes 3-4 years of an apprenticeship to make a qualified electrical worker. Another 3-4 until he’s worth a damn. But the population keeps going up. The load keeps going higher. And the infrastructure keeps needing to be built and more importantly, maintained. It’s not a problem that’s going to go away. Not during my career.

I find that hard to believe especially if it’s an open checkbook. I’ll quit my job to make 400k a year right now. I think everyone on here would. Even at 100k a year that’s a lot of money and people are leaving that for the private sector. I don’t buy it

RCDave

Reaction score

Stop....responsibility, integrity, and government/union collusion shouldn't be mentioned here. Lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
This I disagree with . The gas storage facility has been there long before porter ranch . A accident happened and it was stopped and the utility aka rate payer has paid the bill for clean up . They are building thousands of new homes under this same natural gas holding facility today . At what point is it your fault for buying a home beneath a natural gas holding facility ? I have a place below the parker dam and if there is a accident it's on me . The dam was there way before I was .

I agree. It’s also your fault for building high up in the hills and having your power cut off on windy days so the power lines don’t burn up half the state because the power company can’t maintain the grid.

The people in Porter Ranch were not told there was gas reserve tanks right in the area of their homes.

But if the valve that holds the gas in the tank breaks because it is 30+ years old and the company that maintains it was negligent in their inspections, it is the company’s fault that maintains the tanks, not the homeowner.

It’s not like there was an earthquake that ruptured the tank. This was old shit that should have been serviced and replaced.

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
Linemen are true hero's! I'm not one but I have a lot of respect for them . They line up ready to go to work the moment a terrible storm or earthquake rolls through . They work crazy hours at terrific height and electrical danger . I have zero qualms with line men. It's the bullshit office staff and in house employees that are over paid .

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Yep. We have open hiring every year for new apprentices. We get a few hundred that apply, but when it comes down to the interviews and testing the list goes down to maybe 20-30 that "might" be considered. Finding people to work in the trades is getting harder to find.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I find that hard to believe especially if it’s an open checkbook. I’ll quit my job to make 400k a year right now. I think everyone on here would. Even at 100k a year that’s a lot of money and people are leaving that for the private sector. I don’t buy it

It is like any other trade.. there is a legit shortage. Rusty’s neighbor’s son just became a lineman. He went to lineman school, took like 12-18 months.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I agree. It’s also your fault for building high up in the hills and having your power cut off on windy days so the power lines don’t burn up half the state.

The people in Porter Ranch were not told there was gas reserve tanks right in the area of their homes.

But if the valve that holds the gas in the tank breaks because it is 30+ years old and the company that maintains it was negligent in their inspections, it is the company’s fault that maintains the tanks, not the homeowner.

It’s not like there was an earthquake that ruptured the tank. This was old shot that should have been serviced and replaced.
They are still building homes under it today !!! A valve failed . They fixed it . 99 percent of the people still live there and just want a pay day . Greedy people are a big problem of our society

RCDave

Reaction score
This is what happens when the government meddles in the free market. Bloated management, no competition, no responsibility, backdoor union/government deals, corruption, murder with NO real consequences, etc....

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I get a lot of the anger. Frustration. After the last fire in Malibu my son was gone for weeks. Chasing the fire trying to get people their power back. People driving by calling him names all the way down to murderer. He’s now working 6 / 12s. If you they think all they do is sit on their asses. Maybe you need to go and try and do it.