WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School Me, Why All The Tesla Haters?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I've heard the green folks dont like the battery emissions ?? or something like that (don't make sense to me)

The Gov subsidized?

Elon is a pot head??, wack job??, martian??

Cant drive 2 miles without seeing one.... at least in the city

Do the haters hate the other E cars also?

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I'm not sure why either. I thought the green folks do like them? I know there is allot of hate on here about them. Maybe because allot of liberals drive them. I personally think they are pretty cool. The S is a little for older crowd but I like the Model 3 and the SUV thing doors are pretty cool. Over priced IMO though. Unless it has auto pilot. that's cool

Reactions: DWC

oldschool

Reaction score
I dig em, if the S model had better range I'd already own one.

Reactions: DWC

grumpy88

Reaction score
I've heard the green folks dont like the battery emissions ?? or something like that (don't make sense to me)

The Gov subsidized?

All of this ! And a lot of people who own them act as if there better then you .

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I’d own one if it could make it to havasu without a stop. Friend makes the trip on auto pilot and watches movies all the way out. He puts a ankle weight on the steering wheel to trick the autopilot. I guess you are required to touch the steering wheel every 45 seconds and the ankle weight tricks the auto pilot that you are touching the wheel.

oldschool

Reaction score
I’d own one if it could make it to havasu without a stop. Friend makes the trip on auto pilot and watches movies all the way out. He puts a ankle weight on the steering wheel to trick the autopilot. I guess you are required to touch the steering wheel every 45 seconds and the ankle weight tricks the auto pilot that you are touching the wheel.
Fuck that, I don't even like using cruise control.

oldschool

Reaction score
There....I fixed it for ya!
Nope, 375 miles ain't going to cut it. My wife and daughter will travel to southern California several times a week, usually between 400-450 miles, and they aren't stopping to charge the car.

squeezer

Reaction score
I view Tesla haters about the same way as the guys who claimed emission standards and EFI were the end of the muscle car...

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I don’t hate them.
But buying one to “save the planet” is a misguided venture.

EXACTLY. My wife and I ride our bikes to work every day and every where. About a year ago we pulled up behind a Tesla on our bicycles; it had some stupid plate that said something like "GNGREEN" or something like that. We just shook our heads as we literally were saving the planet :D

Tesla battery manufacturing is here right outside Reno. Tons of these damn things everywhere. We have a few friends with them and they are worst put together vehicles I have ever seen. Fit and finish is horrendous.

JD D05

Reaction score
There is a guy in my office complex that is really annoying I know he rips off a lot of people. He got a Tesla and always parks it in my spot...So one day a few weeks ago we are walking into the building together and I tell him I'm sorry about his testicular cancer. He looks like at me confused and says I don't have that. I say oh my fault I figured you did since you were driving that Tesla.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
There is a guy in my office complex that is really annoying I know he rips off a lot of people. He got a Tesla and always parks it in my spot...So one day a few weeks ago we are walking into the building together and I tell him I'm sorry about his testicular cancer. He looks like at me confused and says I don't have that. I say oh my fault I figured you did since you were driving that Tesla.
Shocked expression I didn't know you were gay??!! Congratulations for finally coming out. Hahaha

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Gov(taypayer subsidized) luxury car.

Build something the common person can use on the Taxpayer dime, then move into the luxury car market when you can stand on your own two feet.

The Gov subsidized?

Burnin Daylight

Reaction score
My son bought a (2015) used one from Tesla with about 48000 miles on it for about $38000. I think about 270 mile range. He gets free charging at Tesla superchargers. I drove it and fell in love with it. Quickest car I ever drove. It takes about 20 min to add about a 50% charge to it. No hate from me.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I changed my mind on Tesla after riding in my General Managers Model S a few weeks back.
Going 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds in Ludacris mode will pin you to your seat like your flying in a fighter jet.
Not sure I would ever buy one, but they are Bad Ass!!!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have been thinking about an electric more and more. I just want two things out of them, range and big enough my overweight 6' 4" frame fits in it. Tesla is one of the few that meets those two targets. Then I look at the price on them and say my SHO is treating me just fine. Rode in one last weekend for the first time and liked it. I could totally rock one of those and the ludicrous mode would satisfy my "stupid side".

If I could get one without having a ludicrous payment I would consider it. The SHO is at least paid off.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I changed my mind on Tesla after riding in my General Managers Model S a few weeks back.
Going 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds in Ludacris mode will pin you to your seat like your flying in a fighter jet.
Not sure I would ever buy one, but they are Bad Ass!!!
Turned gay in 2.8 seconds!!! Hahaha fast is fast that's for sure.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
A friend had a rental S from Enterprise in Livermore. Took a spin in it when he brought it to Fresno. Sucker was quick! I was impressed by that. Aside from big infotainment screen, the interior is really bland for a $80k car. And the roof glass was hotter than hell. I wouldn’t buy one.

oldschool

Reaction score
Comes off very easy and is 100 percent functional. How are you doing health wise? You were in the hospital for a bit not long ago right?
I agree on the tower function, was just busting balls. Yes, got a bit busted up but that stuff is healing. I have some more tests end of the month that will determine if I need open heart surgery sooner or later. Thanks for asking.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I agree on the tower function, was just busting balls. Yes, got a bit busted up but that stuff is healing. I have some more tests end of the month that will determine if I need open heart surgery sooner or later. Thanks for asking.
I know you were! All in good fun for sure. Good to hear. My wife is an ER nurse. Some of the stuff she sees really makes you realize how quick things can change and how fragile we really are. Keep doing what they tell you.

sirbob

Reaction score

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
My son bought a (2015) used one from Tesla with about 48000 miles on it for about $38000. I think about 270 mile range. He gets free charging at Tesla superchargers. I drove it and fell in love with it. Quickest car I ever drove. It takes about 20 min to add about a 50% charge to it. No hate from me.
I'm going this route when we get rid of our Jeep Grand Cherokee next year. You can find decent low mileage 15-16's with grandfathered in free supercharging and 5 year warranty for under 45k

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Husqy510

Reaction score
I didn't bother reading all the responses, but as a gear head and an owner of a Tesla I can tell you that I love it. I have no idea how green it is, but it is fast, especially stop light to stop light. Smokes my new Mustang.

We drive it to the river, which is 270mi from our house. We stop in Barstow and plug it in for about 20min while we get a cup of coffee and use the restroom. The autopilot is awesome.

MohavValley

Reaction score
There expensive, the battery manafacturing chain pollution is worse for the environment than most cars exhaust, batteries can't be recycled like lead acid, short range, increased electricity usage/ costs home charging unless you have solar, not well built, and...I don't think telsa sells any parts or allows any diy repairs, I believe it's all junk yard/ salvage & YouTube or dealer service only.

TCHB

Reaction score
Coal powered electricity.....
Nope
A gas fired plant will run circles around a coal plant and is much cheaper on the operations and maintenance side.
On the capital build coal is way off the spread sheet and yes you need to get rid of the ash. Lots of ash.
I dig em, if the S model had better range I'd already own one.
I have ridden in a couple of the S models and they are very nice cars. Fast and rock solid.

Last edited:

Husqy510

Reaction score
As an owner of a Tesla I can tell you the cost of charging is negligible. The utility company gives you discounted rates at off peak hours and the car is programmed to charge during those periods.

I'd call the build quality good. Better than my new Mustang, but worst than our Audi.

The range is good, ours show's over 300 when fully charged, but more realistically 270 when driven normally (75 on the freeway). It's only an issue on long drives, and we're usually ready for a quick stop, so it's never never been an issue for us.

If anyone has questions for an actual owner let me know.

grumpy88

Reaction score
As an owner of a Tesla I can tell you the cost of charging is negligible. The utility company gives you discounted rates at off peak hours and the car is programmed to charge during those periods.

I'd call the build quality good. Better than my new Mustang, but worst than our Audi.

The range is good, ours show's over 300 when fully charged, but more realistically 270 when driven normally (75 on the freeway). It's only an issue on long drives, and we're usually ready for a quick stop, so it's never never been an issue for us.

If anyone has questions for an actual owner let me know.
Honest question . If you were stuck on the 10 ,40, or 15 in the summer dead stopped how fast does the mileage dropp off sitting there with the a.c. cranked when it's 115 degrees out

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Honest question . If you were stuck on the 10 ,40, or 15 in the summer dead stopped how fast does the mileage dropp off sitting there with the a.c. cranked when it's 115 degrees out
I asked myself the same question when I first started reading up on them and from my understanding, the draw is so minimal you wouldn't even notice it. Apparently the heater in the winter draws more energy than the ac but not as much as propulsion does under normal driving conditions.

TCHB

Reaction score
Cost of Electricty

During the evening late nights and early morning E prices are almost give away. During the day and evening peak energy prices go up by 5 times at least. As the E cars come into place the market will change and E cars will only charge during the off peak hours when power is dirt cheap. The reason for this is the power plants can not just shut down and restart that quickly and it takes a lot gas to get them productions electricty. A coal plant will take 48 hours to start which in todays world is nuts. One of car manufactures (huge) had a model that would plug into your house and supply power back during the peak times and recharge during the non peak times. When deregulation comes again to the E world a lot of things will change like your cell phones. They are building large scale battery farms right now that will charge during the non peak time and discharge during people hours eliminating peaking power plants.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Not to mention all teslas now have camping mode that conserves the battery draw for up to 48 hrs and automatically turns off when it hits 20%
IMG_20190614_184554.jpg

Husqy510

Reaction score

I couldn't give you a specific percentage because we avoid the traffic, mainly because of our two small children. Sitting with the AC on doesn't seem to use much juice, but the heat definitely decreases range.

Last time we left the river we had about a 40mph headwind on the 40 and that definitely decreased the range as well (probably by 10-15%). The super chargers are located about every 150 miles and it takes about 15min to add 100m, so I never worry, but I might if I had the base model.

If I'm going to the river by myself I jump in the Mustang and get there about 30min quicker.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I view Tesla haters about the same way as the guys who claimed emission standards and EFI were the end of the muscle car...

Electric car haters and Tesla haters are not the same thing.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Not a hater either

They are pretty sweet The SUV with the bigger battery is off the charts. Battery charging stations and swaps outs everywhere now.