WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HOW MUCH COOLING DOES A CHAMPION V-DRIVE NEED

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I would like to know how much cooling does a ace Champion V-drive need.
Does it need psi from water pump or can it just get the psi from the speed of boat?
Does it need 3/4" hose or can it go with smaller size hose?
this is not a Drag flatty just a campbell cruiser.
I was going to pull the water from bottom of boat plumb to V-drive and dump it threw Shaft log 3/8 fitting, psi would be what ever the speed of boat.
The other way would be put a tee from pump hose that goes into the rear of Exhaust manifold to V-drive to Shaft log then out threw hull fitting, and reverse the flow but it would be pumped psi.
Thanks

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Paul, I run the day cruiser just like my flat, small scoops under the boat in and out of the box simple and clean. I ran a -8 line on mine.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I had Bergeron's give me an answer
They said plumbing from the bottom of hull to v-drive and dumping it to shaft log 3/8 fitting would be Fine.
The engine going in tomorrow

cpdad93

Reaction score
My crusader ran from the bottom of the boat pick up, you could put your hand on it after running and it wasn't hot. I took it aprt to look inside and the o-ring had slipped when put together and was folded in half blocking part of the passage. So they must not need much. Of course that was North idaho lake water that may get to 60 degrees in August.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
I had Bergeron's give me an answer
They said plumbing from the bottom of hull to v-drive and dumping it to shaft log 3/8 fitting would be Fine.
The engine going in tomorrow

Pretty common way to do it. Good info.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Good to see your still alive Steve!

Just wanted to let you know that I was still alive. I’ve been pretty much off the
Forums for the last couple of years and I actually have a working posting
Device now. we are finished the moving and unloading and the new back
yard finished etc. so I’m at least poking around the forums a little. Hope all
Isabella with you and your family. Looking forward to see you winning the Enduro this year!!! No excuses any more