WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Traffic court lesson

USMC2010

Reaction score
I had traffic court for the first time ever this afternoon. Back in March I was running on McCulloch and was detained and ticketed for not using the sidewalk. The only 1/4 mile of sidewalk that is 3/4 mile up the street. I learned today in court that you cannot trust LHCPD. What was written in his report on my stop was a lie, not lightly fabricated but a lie. I didn't subpoena the camera footage due to the fact I did get quite irate towards the end of my 16 minute detainment but after hearing his testimony I wish I had rolled the dice on what the court's mood would have been after viewing the entire event. I always knew I was probably leaving paying the fine and I was ok with that as long as it came from the court not him. Integrity is #1 with me, LHCPD has zero.
I did not know before March it is state law to use a sidewalk when one exists, even in Havasu where sidewalks are nearly non-existent, and it is $185 for not. Iwas waiting for today to share that useful/useless knowledge.

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
that sucks...reminds me of getting in trouble in Okinawa for PTing without a reflective vest...had to see the SGT MAG, he laughed his ass off

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Generally speaking, I always challenge tickets. Cops are people too and sometimes make mistakes or fill in the blanks.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I always challenge tickets. Cops are people too and sometimes make mistakes or fill in the blanks.
This particular one has a reputation. I would not have typically challenged it but in a city with almost no sidewalks, no one I know anywhere knew it was a law, and his initial contact demeanor towards me, it required a hearing. I was third in line, everyone lost there case and I saw him alter his testimony on the case before me after his Sgt whispered something to him. You go to court here, just plan on paying up.

Andy B.

Reaction score
I had traffic court for the first time ever this afternoon. Back in March I was running on McCulloch and was detained and ticketed for not using the sidewalk. The only 1/4 mile of sidewalk that is 3/4 mile up the street. I learned today in court that you cannot trust LHCPD. What was written in his report on my stop was a lie, not lightly fabricated but a lie. I didn't subpoena the camera footage due to the fact I did get quite irate towards the end of my 16 minute detainment but after hearing his testimony I wish I had rolled the dice on what the court's mood would have been after viewing the entire event. I always knew I was probably leaving paying the fine and I was ok with that as long as it came from the court not him. Integrity is #1 with me, LHCPD has zero.
I did not know before March it is state law to use a sidewalk when one exists, even in Havasu where sidewalks are nearly non-existent, and it is $185 for not. Iwas waiting for today to share that useful/useless knowledge.

Wait a minute if I understand correctly you were on your feet not in a vehicle and he actually gave you a ticket?? I could understand if your running in the middle of the street but I think maybe a 2 minute chat about safety and be on your way.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This particular one has a reputation. I would not have typically challenged it but in a city with almost no sidewalks, no one I know anywhere knew it was a law, and his initial contact demeanor towards me, it required a hearing. I was third in line, everyone lost there case and I saw him alter his testimony on the case before me after his Sgt whispered something to him. You go to court here, just plan on paying up.

Yea, seems like BS, and that's pretty much what happens everywhere. I got a ticket for not having a toll road transponder once. The judge didn't even know where the toll road was in my county.

USMC2010

Reaction score
You got a ticket for not running on the sidewalk?
Yup, and detained. He was yelling at me as soon as he got off his motorcycle, backup even showed up in an SUV in case they scored some big bust.

Andy B.

Reaction score
We must have been typing at the same time.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Bullies.

Yea, seems like BS, and that's pretty much what happens everywhere. I got a ticket for not having a toll road transponder once. The judge didn't even know where the toll road was in my county.

2Driver

Reaction score
This what happens when people join the force only for the benefits and not the desire to fight crime. What a putz, what a complete waste of a position.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Wait a minute if I understand correctly you were on your feet not in a vehicle and he actually gave you a ticket?? I could understand if your running in the middle of the street but I think maybe a 2 minute chat about safety and be on your way.
IMG_20190701_151803__01.jpg

I took this today where it happened. He wrote in his report that I was running where the red line is and that traffic was coming to stand still so they could merge around me. always used to run the green line so if I raise my elbow it covers the curb. I have aver 1400 miles of running in the last 7 years with well over a hundred past this spot. Pretty sure I'm not doing that to traffic or I would have been contacted years ago.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Always a bad apple but that's in any line of work no matter what some people are just angry and miserable so they feel the need to ruin everyone else's day. Still can't believe he gave you a ticket.

sangerflattbottom

Reaction score
View attachment 770446
I took this today where it happened. He wrote in his report that I was running where the red line is and that traffic was coming to stand still so they could merge around me. always used to run the green line so if I raise my elbow it covers the curb. I have aver 1400 miles of running in the last 7 years with well over a hundred past this spot. Pretty sure I'm not doing that to traffic or I would have been contacted years ago.

Seems like an odd place for you to choose to run in the road. I am familiar with this section of McCulloch and any person in the road would certainly be at risk of getting hit considering this is just wide enough for a car, not a car and person.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Seems like an odd place for you to choose to run in the road. I am familiar with this section of McCulloch and any person in the road would certainly be at risk of getting hit considering this is just wide enough for a car, not a car and person.
I hear what you are saying but I have had zero issues there in 7 years and I am not the only person to run that section either. I think if you start looking, no one, or almost no one uses sidewalks when they are running, especially if it is just an obscure location for a short section. I'm just doing my part to educate.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I’m no runner... but my wife says running on asphalt is less impact than running on concrete.
It is quite the debate and one I do side with asphalt on but I don't think it is that significant of a difference. The last time I bit it was on the island multi-use path this spring. The transition through one of the driveways got me and I rolled through it taking some scrapes. That is my only legit defense to alternating surfaces back and forth between sidewalks and asphalt being unsafe.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying but I have had zero issues there in 7 years and I am not the only person to run that section either. I think if you start looking, no one, or almost no one uses sidewalks when they are running, especially if it is just an obscure location for a short section. I'm just doing my part to educate.
Interesting. So opposite traffic (smart by the way) in the street and not on the sidewalk. Does the statute specify any type of distance from the curb to create a violation, or simply any use of the roadway is the violation?

USMC2010

Reaction score
Interesting. So opposite traffic (smart by the way) in the street and not on the sidewalk. Does the statute specify any type of distance from the curb to create a violation, or simply any use of the roadway is the violation?
Section A was the violation.
28-796. Pedestrian on roadways

A. If sidewalks are provided, a pedestrian shall not walk along and on an adjacent roadway.

B. If sidewalks are not provided, a pedestrian walking along and on a highway shall walk when practicable only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic that may approach from the opposite direction.

C. A person shall not stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride from the driver of a vehicle.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Section A was the violation.
28-796. Pedestrian on roadways

A. If sidewalks are provided, a pedestrian shall not walk along and on an adjacent roadway.

B. If sidewalks are not provided, a pedestrian walking along and on a highway shall walk when practicable only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic that may approach from the opposite direction.

C. A person shall not stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride from the driver of a vehicle.
Well, the way that reads, it doesn't matter if you are 6 inches or two feet from the curb if there is a sidewalk present. Wonder why he would make anything up, unless I'm reading that part wrong.

Either way, my .02c's, anytime you are going to court I'd suggest being way over pre-paired. Never just another citation or ticket, always a hearing with penalties attached. If you think the video would have helped your case you should have requested it as evidence.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I’m no runner... but my wife says running on asphalt is less joint impact than running on concrete.
As a person trying to run, I can tell you it is nicer to run on asphalt then concrete. And even better on hard packed dirt. Short distance might not matter but over the miles the asphalt seems to be a bit nicer on your body.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Well, the way that reads, it doesn't matter if you are 6 inches or two feet from the curb if there is a sidewalk present. Wonder why he would make anything up, unless I'm reading that part wrong.

Either way, my .02c's, anytime you are going to court I'd suggest being way over pre-paired. Never just another citation or ticket, always a hearing with penalties attached. If you think the video would have helped your case you should have requested it as evidence.
What he made up was pointed out in the picture. He said I was running in the middle of the lane causing traffic to slow, stop and merge away from me. That is straight up bullshit. I even directly questioned him if he thought someone close enough to the curb for an elbow overhang was in the middle of the lane. He didn't have a good response to it. I considered requesting the video prior but I was down right nasty to both of them by the time it was done and I don't think the judge would have liked that even though he started it. I have a friend telling me to appeal and request just the video evidence refuting his statement. My problem is the video will still show my guilt even though it could show it is a liar. I don't think I want to incur that cost considering I think enough of the department is corrupt and proving his lacking won't do anything.

USMC2010

Reaction score
As a person trying to run, I can tell you it is nicer to run on asphalt then concrete. And even better on hard packed dirt. Short distance might not matter but over the miles the asphalt seems to be a bit nicer on your body.
This is very true, 10 miles or more the surface definitely comes into play.

Reactions: t&y

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
What he made up was pointed out in the picture. He said I was running in the middle of the lane causing traffic to slow, stop and merge away from me. That is straight up bullshit. I even directly questioned him if he thought someone close enough to the curb for an elbow overhang was in the middle of the lane. He didn't have a good response to it. I considered requesting the video prior but I was down right nasty to both of them by the time it was done and I don't think the judge would have liked that even though he started it. I have a friend telling me to appeal and request just the video evidence refuting his statement. My problem is the video will still show my guilt even though it could show it is a liar. I don't think I want to incur that cost considering I think enough of the department is corrupt and proving his lacking won't do anything.
Sucks to hear your experience.

I'm not defending the guy... From my experience it's always the small issues that turn ugly on these things. I don't condone lying about any part of it and I'm curious why he would make any part of it up when the statute does not require anything other than none use of the sidewalk.

16 minute detention over a simple violation is a bit odd to me too, but I'm kinda spoiled. Parking meters don't argue:D

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have heard bad things about the motorcycle cop in this town.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
The facts are
1) As the law is written the cop was right and you were in violation &
2) It is a chicken shit ticket.

Now you can either dwell on it or let it go. Either way it will cost you $$$ wise the exact same. I am done sweating the little shit.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
This is very true, 10 miles or more the surface definitely comes into play.

Did you say 10 MILES??? Why would anyone ever run for 10 miles??? Hell 10 miles is a purdy fur piece
to drive let alone run Now I’m not sayin that you’re crazy for doin that but if I were you I would
really think about finding another way to get to wherever you were goin without havin to run there. I’m
jus sayin. LOL

Steve

USMC2010

Reaction score
Sucks to hear your experience.

I'm not defending the guy... From my experience it's always the small issues that turn ugly on these things. I don't condone lying about any part of it and I'm curious why he would make any part of it up when the statute does not require anything other than none use of the sidewalk.

16 minute detention over a simple violation is a bit odd to me too, but I'm kinda spoiled. Parking meters don't argue:D
I track all of my bicycle rides and runs on a gps device so I was able to look at how long I was detained. I say that word a lot but it was what he said to me initiallly, sit down, you are being detained. I thought that very hostile considering I was just on a run. I suppose if i wanted to I could have the data analyzed to say where I was actually at, it would still be where I said. When I started training again in '12 i did the online recordings to keep me honest about my fitness. It really has helped in my progression, maintenance of my fitness. He's a 15 year veteran so I am also perplexed to his report.

USMC2010

Reaction score
The facts are
1) As the law is written the cop was right and you were in violation &
2) It is a chicken shit ticket.

Now you can either dwell on it or let it go. Either way it will cost you $$$ wise the exact same. I am done sweating the little shit.
I'm letting it go and it cost me about as much as I figured, needed to get past court today to make that transition though. I did want to share my experience once it was complete.

Last edited:

USMC2010

Reaction score
Did you say 10 MILES??? Why would anyone ever run for 10 miles??? Hell 10 miles is a purdy fur piece
to drive let alone run Now I’m not sayin that you’re crazy for doin that but if I were you I would
really think about finding another way to get to wherever you were goin without havin to run there. I’m
jus sayin. LOL

Steve
hahahaha. I never used to like running. It is a long story that has gotten me to the miles I can do now. I've done 6 half marathons since 2012, first one sub 2 hours but haven't been able to break 15 miles at once. I met a guy that spent some time teaching me how to run properly at a triathlon in 2012 and it changed my perspective completely. I wish I knew what he taught me way back. It sure would have made the Marine Corps a bit easier in that respective.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Most cops don’t even like motorcycle cops......they just troll for bs violations.....its their job. They also ticket a bunch of asshole, dangerous drivers.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My favorite was in Needles, my old truck wasn’t only tinted all the way around, windshield and all, but 11” lift on 38’s and i got seatbelt ticket the cop was sitting at a stop sign and turned and lit me for that. After four hours waiting at courthouse in Needles i decided my time was worth more than the 95$ ticket but still!!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The fact that you are/were a Marine....strapped a rifle to your ass and defended our freedoms on a foreign soil and the fucker still gave you a ticket.

Im sure you are able, but Ill happily pay your fine.

My family and I appreciate your sacrifice.

Brian

USMC2010

Reaction score
The fact that you are/were a Marine....strapped a rifle to your ass and defended our freedoms on a foreign soil and the fucker still gave you a ticket.

Im sure you are able, but Ill happily pay your fine.

My family and I appreciate your sacrifice.

Brian
Thanks Brian but I appreciate that a lot but it is totally unnecessary. I paid and pay my way, wife told me to have rum tonight which is unusual for a Monday and I'm moving on. I only shared this today because a) I felt everyone needed to know the lengths Havasu's finest will go to collect, and b) how "honest" they are in court. I'd be happy to have a beer with you sometime instead.

varmit86

Reaction score
Alot of cops have favorite violations that they wrote all the time.
All these. Cops are in court all the time with their buddy cops so it is second nature to them. We are nervous and money is dependant on the out come.
Best way to fight a ticket is plead not guilty at time of ticket and request hearing at the county seat. Takes them out of their environment and makes them travel to where the county seat is located.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Fuck this shit. Land of the free and home of the brave and some fucking cop decides that your running in the street deserves a ticket! If fucking cops don't have anything better to do than ticket this citizen then we need to find new cops!

dryhoze1

Reaction score
CB262C94-41EA-43B3-B425-6E6277C7F54E.jpeg
03190ECD-933B-428F-901E-63CA491974D3.jpeg

Guys a real assclown !
Didn’t take much to find shit on this dick.

And it looks like running in the middle of the road is acceptable if you’re a cop.

USMC2010

Reaction score
View attachment 770542 View attachment 770543

Guys a real assclown !
Didn’t take much to find shit on this dick.

And it looks like running in the middle of the road is acceptable if you’re a cop.
When I was leaving town for the Catalina Fun run a week and a half ago, a moto cop had someone pulled over Northbound 95 at the city limits sign. I assume for speeding and I was unable to see which one it was, there are 2 that I am aware of but I'm not certain. It really doesn't take much for dirt to come up when it really does exist. I'm sure some on here really think I a full of shit but where there is smoke there is fire. I have another story of a friend's encounter with him, it is all consistant.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I “beat” my only court appearance in Havasu because there cop didn’t show. The dealer here in kingman put different tires on my van and got stopped for doing 74 on 95 when cruise control on 65. Brought paper work and letters from Swantys attesting to my not knowing. Cop never showed but still paid a”fine” in time and gas.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 770446

Dumb question..

Why wouldn’t you run on the sidewalk and reduce the risk of being run over by someone texting?