WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Summer is booked up solid!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Between trips to the lake, family visits, kids bday parties, trips to legoland, blah blah the wife has managed to pack just about every weekend solid this summer. Looks like I wont be getting jack done around the house. How do you guys deal with being busy and still keeping up the house, cars, boats, etc?

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
My summers are planned to the hours, sometimes minutes, not days. My last "Free Day" was in March. I do it because I understand my kids will only be kids for so long and I want every minute I can get with them. Even keeping up with the house, cars, boats, ect are made into family activities or, honestly, even though I am more than capable of handling it myself I am starting to realize hiring someone is not a weakness but a time management skill.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Between trips to the lake, family visits, kids bday parties, trips to legoland, blah blah the wife has managed to pack just about every weekend solid this summer. Looks like I wont be getting jack done around the house. How do you guys deal with being busy and still keeping up the house, cars, boats, etc?

I have the opposite problem. My other guy at work (one of us has to be here) got his summer booked before I did, leaving me exactly one long weekend available between fathers day and when my kid goes back to school in sept....so it looks like I'll be having one trip this summer to run the new boat, after no trips last years. This sucks.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Here’s my theory. I have my whole life to do house chores, projects etc. but I’m only young once and my kids don’t care how many weeds we have in the yard or how much we clean the house. They love the lake and vacations. So making memories is what I’m about right now.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I try and handle things when I get home form work- they play outside while I do my stuff and I keep an eye on them. Or wait until they go to bed.

And as others have mentioned, kids grow up quick you have to sit back and take it all in. Sometimes you have to slow down and take it all in and let things slide around the house from time to time.

Sharpy

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. My other guy at work (one of us has to be here) got his summer booked before I did, leaving me exactly one long weekend available between fathers day and when my kid goes back to school in sept....so it looks like I'll be having one trip this summer to run the new boat, after no trips last years. This sucks.
Unless that other guy is your boss, that’s messed up!

Sharpy

Reaction score
He kinda is.
Well, there ya go!

The company I work for decided last year to hold company wide quarterly safety meetings on Presidents Day, Friday of Memorial Weekend, Friday of Labor Day weekend and Veterans Day. Before that they were on random Saturdays. Living in NorCal, those weekends were really the only long block of time I could get to make Havasu trips. Sucks for me, but I like getting paychecks so I do what they say!

TCHB

Reaction score
Once you retire that speed pics up!!!!!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It's hard! I find myself hardly doing anything but recreational stuff on weekends with the family. Have to tell the wife "we need to stay home" every once in awhile so I can handle shit. But making memories with the kids is priceless, they're only little for so long. Don't burn quality time with the family, do everything you can while you can

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
My life is an endless cycle of a things to do list....that's why I never go anywhere.....lol...:D

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Enjoy the time with the kids while it lasts (it went by much quicker than I thought it would for me).

My memory maker RV is now for sale because I have no idea when and if I'll ever have time off at the same time as my kids.

Make every minute spent with your kids count.

outboard_256

Reaction score
every summer is like that for me, already pre-planned every weekend. So winter/spring is really my busy time, got a few months to make sure the boat is ready to go, house is maintained, projects are at stopping points, cars are maintained, and RV maintained. Once summer hits its full on vacation mode, all the toys are rode hard and put away wet. Anything that breaks gets put on a list or a quick "trail fix" to get it through the summer and in winter the process starts over and everything is fixed. Tried to do stuff in the fall but too many holidays that it was more frustrating than productive.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I don't know how some people do it.

We only have 1 kid and a small family...Most live out of state so we might see them 1-2x a year. I have friends with 2-3-4 kids and once your kids get to say 7 y/o and have different activities there life seems like a mess and they are basically just high five-ing there way through life...haha

We get up early on weekends bang out a couple hours of soccer and I'm typically home by 2pm and handling stuff. I think it also helps that I have OCD about finishing projects and organization. The house,yard or garage is never a mess.....I have some bigger projects I would like to get done but $$ is typically the factor that controls that.

I'm very content with my circle of friends and they are busy as well so we don't get caught up with the 14 wedding and 100 birthday parties a year...Thank god because I probably wouldn't go anyways:D;)

The kids soccer is the time destroyer. It's not all encompassing as we play semi local most of the time but after the past 2 weeks off we are back at it and I don't think we have a free weekend until probably thanksgiving due to Tournaments and games. I made it to the lake last week for the first time all year and it will probably be my last trip as I just don't have the time for it at this point of my life.....sucks but it is what it is and I'm happy being a soccer dad.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
every summer is like that for me, already pre-planned every weekend. So winter/spring is really my busy time, got a few months to make sure the boat is ready to go, house is maintained, projects are at stopping points, cars are maintained, and RV maintained. Once summer hits its full on vacation mode, all the toys are rode hard and put away wet. Anything that breaks gets put on a list or a quick "trail fix" to get it through the summer and in winter the process starts over and everything is fixed. Tried to do stuff in the fall but too many holidays that it was more frustrating than productive.
Funny you mention this. I am in full prep for the winter riding season right now. Come winter I am in full prep for summer boating season. Round and round we go

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Funny you mention this. I am in full prep for the winter riding season right now. Come winter I am in full prep for summer boating season. Round and round we go

I remember when my kid was young and school and activities didn't destroy my life...haha

Enjoy it man I used to be a two season guy now I'm a sit in the back yard with music and beer and stare at my empty RV parking side yard guy:D

Get the kid into bikes and wakeboarding....sports are the devil ;)

NicPaus

Reaction score
My goal this summer is River every other weekend and local lakes every other. Trying to boat every weekend missed to many trips last 3 years.

outboard_256

Reaction score

I have a winter riding season as well but since I have little kids my desert toys maintaince went down to almost 0. Just putting around camp slowly with them I don't even use a tank of gas a weekend. I clean air filters once a year and oil the chain every 3rd trip or so. Haven't changed a tire in years. Now the RV, Boat, and house seem to have never ending maintenance.

oldschool

Reaction score
The truth is you can't do it all. You have to prioritize things in life, our first priority was always our kids. Now, that doesn't mean we did anything they wanted whenever they wanted to do it. There's only so much time in a day and your kids are only young once and won't be at home forever( at least I hope).

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I remember when my kid was young and school and activities didn't destroy my life...haha

Enjoy it man I used to be a two season guy now I'm a sit in the back yard with music and beer and stare at my empty RV parking side yard guy:D

Get the kid into bikes and wakeboarding....sports are the devil ;)

Some funny shit in this thread. The sports thing is a total racket. Im 47 and when I was kid I played AYSO and Club Soccer but it didn’t dominate my families life and we still camped, rode dirt bikes and went all kinds of places. And when we needed to miss a game it wasn’t a big deal if you didn’t overdo it. You played one game a weekend and went home. Now it’s an all day or weekend outing with several games a day if you are in a tournament. And the cost? The f’ing cost is total bullshit. It’s THOUSANDS of dollars to play in a tournament. Not to mention the overpriced crappy food sold at the events. My parents would have said “sorry son we aren’t doing this” and that would be the end of it. The cost simply doesn’t make any sense. Coaches used to be volunteers, not paid and all their travel expenses paid through the tournament. This just creates bad all the way around.

So a lot of kids don’t do anything other than sports. Their entire adolescence is controlled by the sports they play. Sports are overdone today and almost anything in life that is overdone eventually becomes a problem. Our society is becoming uninteresting pussies that haven’t done anything before the age of 21.

It really takes parents with a vision today to balance organized sports and outdoor recreation activities. Knowing when to push back and tell that coach “we’re headed to Lake Powell for the next 7 days and Johnny won’t be at the game and practice this week.

Cdog

Reaction score
This morning in München Germany I gave up 5k in travel vouchers & a free hotel for 1 night from AMerican Airlines because my 11 year old daughter has a state swim meet in Tucson Friday.....

It is what it is.

My new favorite saying to my wife that she absolutely hates.

Pick one!

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Some funny shit in this thread. The sports thing is a total racket. Im 47 and when I was kid I played AYSO and Club Soccer but it didn’t dominate my families life and we still camped, rode dirt bikes and went all kinds of places. And when we needed to miss a game it wasn’t a big deal if you didn’t overdo it. You played one game a weekend and went home. Now it’s an all day or weekend outing with several games a day if you are in a tournament. And the cost? The f’ing cost is total bullshit. It’s THOUSANDS of dollars to play in a tournament. Not to mention the overpriced crappy food sold at the events. My parents would have said “sorry son we aren’t doing this” and that would be the end of it. The cost simply doesn’t make any sense. Coaches used to be volunteers, not paid and all their travel expenses paid through the tournament. This just creates bad all the way around.

So a lot of kids don’t do anything other than sports. Their entire adolescence is controlled by the sports they play. Sports are overdone today and almost anything in life that is overdone eventually becomes a problem. Our society is becoming uninteresting pussies that haven’t done anything before the age of 21.

It really takes parents with a vision today to balance organized sports and outdoor recreation activities. Knowing when to push back and tell that coach “we’re headed to Lake Powell for the next 7 days and Johnny won’t be at the game and practice this week.
I really enjoyed my daughter's club soccer. She played with the same core team for 6 or 7 years and we all became great friends with the kids and parents. My daughter is 21 now and I do miss a lot of those weekends, especially the overnight trips. The parents collectively caused way more trouble than the kids. It wasn't cheap, but our coaches didn't take pay, but put any extra money into the travel fund, or helping out a couple of kids where money was an issue. That being said, I didn't mind if they lost the morning game on Sunday so we could leave early.

My older boys only played AYSO, so it wasn't a whole weekend affair usually which was OK as I was traveling over 125 days a year during that time so it was nice to be home.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
IMG_4413.JPG

My son loves soccer...We are way more than a one trick pony family but it absolutely takes a lot of time and $$$. (Like a decent economy car payment a month $$$:D)

Have a 2 day tournament at Galloway downs in Temecula next weekend...first games are 9am saturday and sunday and we need to be there an hour early....fml but the wife makes it better by sneaking in mimosas:D

I made him a deal as long as he continues to grow,play hard and loves it I will support him. It's honestly his favorite thing in the world right behind forttnite...lol

He still gets plenty of friends,family,hobby and travel action in but I want to support his passions.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Couldn't tell you how I did it. Those years were a blur, they went by way too fast.

Now that it's over, I miss em like crazy. I miss my kids being little real bad!

Enjoy the insanity while you can...

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
View attachment 774016

My son loves soccer...We are way more than a one trick pony family but it absolutely takes a lot of time and $$$. (Like a decent economy car payment a month $$$:D)

Have a 2 day tournament at Galloway downs in Temecula next weekend...first games are 9am saturday and sunday and we need to be there an hour early....fml but the wife makes it better by sneaking in mimosas:D

I made him a deal as long as he continues to grow,play hard and loves it I will support him. It's honestly his favorite thing in the world right behind forttnite...lol

He still gets plenty of friends,family,hobby and travel action in but I want to support his passions.
Ahhhh...I remember the days...cherish them...they will be gone before you know it bro. As crazy as it was...I miss the baseball days.

Singleton

Reaction score
We keep the family extremely busy.
I normally end up taking mental health days to get stuff done around town and at the house.

Next weekend with nothing planned is Labor Day. Then is starts back up, but my wife did plan a desert toy prep weekend in our schedule for late September