WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone ever done "Fleet Week" in the S.F. Bay??

Tank

Reaction score
Particularly via private boat?

I've ALWAYS wanted to go to this airshow and really want to drag the Cigarette up and watch it via water.

Anyone ever done it?

https://fleetweeksf.org/air-show/

Even better would be if San Diego had something similar (with Blue Angels) so I could avoid the shit hole known as S.F.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Really cool to go up the river and check out the mothball ghost fleet while you are at it. Did that in the great escape cigarette back in the 1990s when I was a kid

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Really cool to go up the river and check out the mothball ghost fleet while you are at it. Did that in the great escape cigarette back in the 1990s when I was a kid
Mothball fleet is gone. Been gone a few years I think.

707dog

Reaction score
there is a few guys @lake p.a.l. @HighVoltage329 to name a couple who make that run every year as you know it all depends on the weather and how the water will react to it cause it can get real shitty out there.

707dog

Reaction score
the mothball fleet under went a dismantling process and there's maybe 1 or 2 boats that haven't met their maker but the rest is gone

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Don't you live in So Cal? Why not just watch the Great Pacific Airshow on the Cig in HB?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well shit, I do live in So. Cal and forgot all about that show. Though I really enjoy watching the blue angels ,the lineup for the GPA is LEGIT! Thanks for the heads up. Think I may just make that one!

https://pacificairshow.com/
Don’t blame you. You could always head down to Miramar to watch them and check out the jets up close on the ground.

Tank

Reaction score
Don’t blame you. You could always head down to Miramar to watch them and check out the jets up close on the ground.

Yea, they come to Mugu when they do their shows. They just don't do shows every year unfortunately.
And I want to do it by boat. That's what always appealed to me about the SF fleet week. I don't think you're close enough for the Miramar Show. HB is bad azz though.

Times Like These

Reaction score
Huntington Beach show is a kick ass time. Will definitely be out in the boat watching the show again this year. Going to try and stay in Long Beach after the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Well shit, I do live in So. Cal and forgot all about that show. Though I really enjoy watching the blue angels ,the lineup for the GPA is LEGIT! Thanks for the heads up. Think I may just make that one!

https://pacificairshow.com/
We will be there at Miramar again, may even be a few of our servicemen/vets getting a solar system at no cost to them. Pretty bad ass show, I would shoot for Friday if you wanted a chance to see the Palomar Gives Back Program

rcmike

Reaction score
I went, I think in '95.

Ship docked right next to Pier 39.. Of particular interest to Grads and Kamala Harris, Willie Brown attended the party on the fantail with the admiral..

SFOcean

Reaction score
Yeah, more often than not in various boats. Cool place to watch from a boat is near the HR buoy (Harding Rock) the jets are banking at 90 degrees there so you can look up and see the pilot, even read the name if you're good. HR buoy is near Angel Island on the Golden Gate side.

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
Tank,
If you’re on the “wet side” of San Fran. it’s an amazing show. If you flat foot it and go to the Piers just keep your eyes open for the usual suspects, they’ll be out in full force. Unfortunately SF PD has been so de-balled, there’s little they can do for the public. Get there early and you can watch the “SF Poopy Patrol” work it’s magic
Again, from the water it’s awesome!

Tank

Reaction score
Tank,
If you’re on the “wet side” of San Fran. it’s an amazing show. If you flat foot it and go to the Piers just keep your eyes open for the usual suspects, they’ll be out in full force. Unfortunately SF PD has been so de-balled, there’s little they can do for the public. Get there early and you can watch the “SF Poopy Patrol” work it’s magic
Again, from the water it’s awesome!

Lol. The plan would be to touch ground in SF as least as possible. I’d want to watch it via boat on the water. Probably not going to make it this year - I realized we have a havasu trip planned right around the dates and key west right after. but it’s on the bucket list. Maybe we can make it happen next year.

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
The SF libtard city council screams “this will be the last year”! That’s what we hear every year.
Used to work in most of the hi-rises and EVERY year the Blue Angels would do their practice runs earlier in the week. They’d fly just over the hi-rises, thru the city, it was awesome to see. I always had roof-top work those days!! So cool to look over and see the pilot level with you. Alas tho, the Libby’s cry “it’s like being in a war zone, it’s too noisy and scary”...
Cheers
SnS

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Lol. The plan would be to touch ground in SF as least as possible. I’d want to watch it via boat on the water. Probably not going to make it this year - I realized we have a havasu trip planned right around the dates and key west right after. but it’s on the bucket list. Maybe we can make it happen next year.
Hey Tank, Done Fleet Week many times from Boat and on Foot and both are just as awesome. Where else can you get a airshow, boat show and parade and get to hang out and party with US Military all in one place. Not going ashore is missing half the awesomeness. You can tour some of the newer currently commissioned Navy Ships and some older retired ones too(highly recommended for anyone who never has) Cruise the water front, where Our US Military(other than Army) sets up shop and cool exhibits all over the place, and every bar and restaurant you roll into is filled with our past & present military brethren partying away. FW is just a great interactive and eye opening experience with our US military that most civilians never get or understand.
FYI Don't buy into the SF is a shithole and PD is Ball-less bullshit. SFPD does a great job during Fleet Week, and who's gonna fuck around with tens of thousands of past/present military on hand too.
Hud

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Bring it Tank!! I have an extra room for u & your wife with plenty of parking out front. Launch ramp is .5 mile away. I'm an idiot but my wife is amazing.

BajaMike

Reaction score
The air show is great.....the rest of it......sailors, gays, shit on the streets, needles, gays looking for sailors? Wow, what a party gr*ds.......biggest gay party in NorCal.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Hey Tank, Done Fleet Week many times from Boat and on Foot and both are just as awesome. Where else can you get a airshow, boat show and parade and get to hang out and party with US Military all in one place. Not going ashore is missing half the awesomeness. You can tour some of the newer currently commissioned Navy Ships and some older retired ones too(highly recommended for anyone who never has) Cruise the water front, where Our US Military(other than Army) sets up shop and cool exhibits all over the place, and every bar and restaurant you roll into is filled with our past & present military brethren partying away. FW is just a great interactive and eye opening experience with our US military that most civilians never get or understand.
FYI Don't buy into the SF is a shithole and PD is Ball-less bullshit. SFPD does a great job during Fleet Week, and who's gonna fuck around with tens of thousands of past/present military on hand too.
Hud
Nailed it.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Its great. What do need to know. I live right there.

I would take Rob up with his offer. He lives in Benicia so yore boat can easily get to the bay from there

Don’t bring yore boat into SF. No where to launch or park. You can launch in a bunch of different places then drive the boat to the show.

My boat is too small so I don’t go out

Lemme know if you got questions

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
The air show is great.....the rest of it......sailors, gays, shit on the streets, needles, gays looking for sailors? Wow, what a party gr*ds.......biggest gay party in NorCal.
Wrong event Mike. You must be talking about your annual Bay to Breakers Baja run.

GRADS

Reaction score
I just realized I will be in S.F. that week for my 50th.

renodaytona

Reaction score
On my bucket list for sure but I need a bigger bote or find a seat in someone else’s :D

GRADS

Reaction score
Just an FYI... October is summer in San Francisco...seriously.

Tank

Reaction score
Bring it Tank!! I have an extra room for u & your wife with plenty of parking out front. Launch ramp is .5 mile away. I'm an idiot but my wife is amazing.
Yea, that sounds like a good plan!! How long of a run is it to the viewing area from your place?

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Yea, that sounds like a good plan!! How long of a run is it to the viewing area from your place?
28 miles to Gate. I love the idea of setting anchor just west of Angel Island & enjoying the show. Hopefully fog cooperates. We may contemplate taking our 23' cabin cruiser depending who is with us or both boats.

Tank

Reaction score
28 miles to Gate. I love the idea of setting anchor just west of Angel Island & enjoying the show. Hopefully fog cooperates. We may contemplate taking our 23' cabin cruiser depending who is with us or both boats.

It's coming up too fast for us to make this years show. But I'd like to plan on next years. I have too many other things going on right around the time of the show. But I'll work on doing the 2020 show. No more of a drag to tow it up to you than it is to tow it out to Havasu for us.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Here’s a couple when I went with my parents in 2010.

E93BB3D8-F3AD-421A-8D4B-787EA383C7C1.jpeg
741CB1A0-401E-480F-A5A1-185AF4155331.jpeg
D64FC361-E93E-4598-9EBC-7BFDFEEC4604.jpeg

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Shoot. That’s not rough. Yet ;):D

Just kidding. It depends on the wind and tides and location. You might maneuver a bit to get a break from it maybe in Richardson Bay. Or get in the shadow of an island.

Also there is a metric shit ton of traffic that day causing wakes

But you are at the mercy of the elements. You can look online for the forecast for the bay.

The tide in the middle of the bay in front of the gate is fierce. That picture is in the moving tide. Try to get away from it if it’s moving

It’s a nice day today and I might go out there. If so I will take you a picture

I know it gets ROUGH in the bay but is there an area that is a bit less bumpy to chill for the day? Sitting on a rocking boat for a few hours is not my wifes idea of a good day. LOL

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I know it gets ROUGH in the bay but is there an area that is a bit less bumpy to chill for the day? Sitting on a rocking boat for a few hours is not my wifes idea of a good day. LOL

That was a long time ago but as I recall it wasn't that bad.
Notice in the first pic we were close to the island (I believe it was Alcatraz) and the second pic the boats were more in the middle of the bay.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Just go. Shoot, you guys do the Channel Islands so you can handle the gay bay no problem. :cool:

Grads took his boat to the gate and he is scared of his own shadow now. :p

The only thing you need to worry about is the fog. So bring a parka

We don’t do shorts and flip flops here.;) Shoes, pants and jackets.

Tank

Reaction score
Just go. Shoot, you guys do the Channel Islands so you can handle the gay bay no problem. :cool:

Grads took his boat to the gate and he is scared of his own shadow now. :p

The only thing you need to worry about is the fog. So bring a parka

We don’t do shorts and flip flops here.;) Shoes, pants and jackets.

LOL - Shoes pants and a jacket? Sounds like boating here in the winter!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
“The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco”. Mark Twain

LOL - Shoes pants and a jacket? Sounds like boating here in the winter!

Just trying to help a brother out.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
It's coming up too fast for us to make this years show. But I'd like to plan on next years. I have too many other things going on right around the time of the show. But I'll work on doing the 2020 show. No more of a drag to tow it up to you than it is to tow it out to Havasu for us.

Or I could fly down & we could drive your boat up:D:D

Tank

Reaction score
I ain't scared, my wife can make more $$$ for fuel.:cool:;):rolleyes:
LOL....I've known a few guys that have brought larger boats down from Seattle and San Francisco. I've always wanted to do it but the stories I hear! 35' swells are the norm. Towing a dinghy and you lose site of it between the swells. Big water running so cal to nor cal.