WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Safest vehicles on the road?..

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well, my wife got into a serious accident yesterday, but she only walked away with a concussion, night in the hospital, and a few cuts and bruises. Very lucky. Car is totaled, so I’m moving up our purchase a few months early. I want the full safety suite this time. Any recommendations? I’d like the biggest vehicle possible, think suburban, but it looks like the biggest she wants is Acura RDX, Merc GLC, Lexus RX, Volvo XC60 size. I’ve also seen some great ratings out of the new Outback and Tesla model 3. Any input? Just the two of us and a couple huskies for now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
First off, glad your wife is doing OK.

As for the car on the list, look into the type of driving and parking situations she has. All those cars you listed are pretty damn safe. Then it comes down to what has the perks she likes. Having been recently beat up in her ride, she may have different preferences with pedals, steering wheel or headrest designs. See what's sore in the coming days, and put it in the mental roll-a-dex.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any info you are asking for, but I'm so thankful your wife is okay. Good luck in your new search!

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Tesla Model 3 aced the crashed tests in every country, they seem to be top rated everywhere. Floor mounted batteries and small electric motors that drop down and away in a crash means the whole front is a crumple zone. Electric cars aren't for everyone but things seem to be going that way, and 0-60 in 3.2 is not bad.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
We have an outback which my wife loves. On her way to work one day a truck pulled out in front of her and the car stopped itself before she could even react. Stopped less than a foot from the driver's door of the truck.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Well, my wife got into a serious accident yesterday, but she only walked away with a concussion, night in the hospital, and a few cuts and bruises. Very lucky. Car is totaled, so I’m moving up our purchase a few months early. I want the full safety suite this time. Any recommendations? I’d like the biggest vehicle possible, think suburban, but it looks like the biggest she wants is Acura RDX, Merc GLC, Lexus RX, Volvo XC60 size. I’ve also seen some great ratings out of the new Outback and Tesla model 3. Any input? Just the two of us and a couple huskies for now.
My wife has a Volvo XC60 T6
It’s a fun car to drive, AWD, solid, no 3rd row.
Fuel mileage is shit:D Might be my wife’s foot liking the feel of a turbo kicking in. In fact I know it is:D

We bought it used. Volvo service dept seems pretty tight. Much nicer than Ford or GMC and Dodge.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I did the same thing a few months back, got the Subaru due to reputation and 3 different people I know walked away from som good crashes, I got her the crosstrek, for the driver, is she crashes it, it was because she was trying, the damn thing won’t let you crash it.. ya it’s no sports car, it just works.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
My wife drives a full size SUV after we survived a head on with a texting driver. Will be hard pressed to put my family in anything else after all of walked away from this.

2CE547C5-1B3F-4C93-90BA-78DD11233821.jpeg
4EAB9B66-7B52-4457-9436-460B7E01A475.jpeg
810B25B6-AC4C-4E70-802B-706FF50D8339.jpeg
998567DB-8923-4941-99CF-C327ADDAAB02.jpeg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
My wife drives a full size SUV after we survived a head on with a texting driver. Will be hard pressed to put my family in anything else after all of walked away from this.

View attachment 785796 View attachment 785797 View attachment 785798 View attachment 785799
Your story was actually what got the wheels turning last year. She was driving a 2 door coupe so we are at least moving in the correct direction. The model 3 is The only small car, but the collision mitigation tech seems outstanding. I will continue to drive a fullsize, and may move to a 3/4 ton truck or sub/expo/land cruiser/LX570 when it’s my turn.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Tesla Model 3 aced the crashed tests in every country, they seem to be top rated everywhere. Floor mounted batteries and small electric motors that drop down and away in a crash means the whole front is a crumple zone. Electric cars aren't for everyone but things seem to be going that way, and 0-60 in 3.2 is not bad.
Definitely looking hard at these. From my research, the car is the best performing vehicle ever tested. The catch is, they rate it Against its class. I would expect a larger SUV to be much safer as it has more mass, but I could be wrong.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Definitely looking hard at these. From my research, the car is the best performing vehicle ever tested. The catch is, they rate it Against its class. I would expect a larger SUV to be much safer as it has more mass, but I could be wrong.

Correct - Elon himself said despite the awesome test rating the model S and X were likley a bit safer due to mass.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Some thought for you to consider:

Mass = safety

Government frontal crash safety ratings are for a car versus another car of similar mass.
They’re meaningless if we’re comparing a Yugo to a Suburban, regardless of what the ratings are...the suburban will win every time.

IMG_2313.jpg

In the size vehicle you’re looking at, at 5,500 lbs the Lexus GX ranks up there for mass, plus it has a full frame (not a unibody) which can add strength in some types of crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boatpi

Reaction score
You mentioned in Mercedes GLC. Incredibly safe vehicle.

In December we picked up a 2019 GLC 350E, it’s a plug-in hybrid. All and it’s about 315 hp all in.

don’t expect Prius economy unless you’re driving 75 miles a day, but going to Vegas it maybe gets 29 or 30 Mpg.

Whatever you do make sure you get the one with leather and the premium package not many have that, it’s got perforated leather seats with three stage cooling and heating.

So here’s the deal; it drives like it’s on rails it’s a 4Matic all-wheel-drive you get a $4500 federal tax credit plus a California carpool sticker not to mention we use the Costco referal through the dealer in South Orange county and picked it up for 2000 under invoice! My wife owns a corporation and at the time the Mercedes had another kick in I have another 1K off if you’re a corporation owner. Financing was heavily discounted to.

If you figure in all the savings it comes out to over $10,000 off of window Sticker.

If you’re looking for super comfort long-distance driving this is not it it’s a little closer to BMW but not too harsh.

If you drive 75 miles a day or less you’re probably going to get 45 to 50 miles per gallon if the battery is fully charged at night.

Wife loves it, and you can’t beat that federal tax credit.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
So glad your wife is going to be OK...So many stories today are just sad / bad news...
That said, old school says there is no substitute for size and mass in a crash.. While still somewhat true modern technology has come a long way to equal the playing field in smaller, safer, more economical, means of transportation.. IMO, the Outback has a great deal going for it from safety and versatility... Not the total luxury of others, but warrants a look, IMO. People I know that have them, (3) will never buy anything else..."Once you go outback you'll never go anywhere else"....
Have fun choosing,
Ray

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

Mass = safety

Government frontal crash safety ratings are for a car versus another car of similar mass.
They’re meaningless if we’re comparing a Yugo to a Suburban, regardless of what the ratings are...the suburban will win every time.

View attachment 785803

In the size vehicle you’re looking at, at 5,500 lbs the Lexus GX ranks up there for mass, plus it has a full frame (not a unibody) which can add strength in some types of crashes.

Thanks for this info. I’d love the GX, but that’s a little bigger than she wants. She has a short commute, so gas mileage isn’t the issue. She’s just scared of bigger vehicles. Not once in 9 years has she driven my truck, and probably never will. OC is crowded, but it’s not like we live in downtown LA.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
You mentioned in Mercedes GLC. Incredibly safe vehicle.

In December we picked up a 2019 GLC 350E, it’s a plug-in hybrid. All and it’s about 315 hp all in.

don’t expect Prius economy unless you’re driving 75 miles a day, but going to Vegas it maybe gets 29 or 30 Mpg.

Whatever you do make sure you get the one with leather and the premium package not many have that, it’s got perforated leather seats with three stage cooling and heating.

So here’s the deal; it drives like it’s on rails it’s a 4Matic all-wheel-drive you get a $4500 federal tax credit plus a California carpool sticker not to mention we use the Costco referal through the dealer in South Orange county and picked it up for 2000 under invoice! My wife owns a corporation and at the time the Mercedes had another kick in I have another 1K off if you’re a corporation owner. Financing was heavily discounted to.

If you figure in all the savings it comes out to over $10,000 off of window Sticker.

If you’re looking for super comfort long-distance driving this is not it it’s a little closer to BMW but not too harsh.

If you drive 75 miles a day or less you’re probably going to get 45 to 50 miles per gallon if the battery is fully charged at night.

Wife loves it, and you can’t beat that federal tax credit.
I remember you talking about your GLC in another thread. I’m not sure we need the plug in with the short commute, but it would be nice for her to get the carpool. AWD is a must, even though we don’t get much rain. I’d like to use it to go to Big Bear in the winter. I’ve got a next door neighbor who has a Merc household and goes through them every 6 mo. He's telling me that I should go straight to GLE or move to something else on my list. He’s had two in a row for his wife and I’m guessing he hasn’t seen a GLC with the package you were talking about.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Mass = safety

View attachment 785803

I was just gonna mention something along those lines.

So many people just look at the crash tests done on a vehicle that is it. The problem is, there are FAR too many variables in a crash to thuroughly test them all. They just test the generalities and rate off of that. For example, they do not test for cars making last second Holly shit jerk on the wheel which changes the forces and locations of impacts greatly. Hence why sometimes the large vehicles with lower ratings can infact be much safer. Like the Subtub. It's ranked a little bit lower due to its ability to roll over easier than others in it's class. But really, so what? You take a 1k lbs lighter vehicle in the same situation that Billdo was in and I dunno if we'd be here talking to Bill right now.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

riverroyal

Reaction score
GLC, i just traded my wifes for a BMW 2 months ago.
It HAD major design flaws on the front suspension. It might be fixed by now. Ours was 2 years old. In the shop numerous times and they kept say the fix is coming from MB. I gave up. I will never by a MB again.
Now....boat pi can chime in. Hopefully the issues have been resolved in his. Safe suv for sure. Perfect size

New 400hp explorer would be fun.
X3 M40I is safe and hauls ass

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
First off, super glad to hear your wife came out with minimal issue but do keep a watch on her for a few weeks and make sure nothing surfaces.
You know, disparity between various brands safety used to be very dramatic 20-30 years ago but believe it or not federal standard safety requirements has virtually closed that gap.
Some vehicles have added value safety features.
I still believe most european manufacturers to be superior quality but again, it's all become very globally connected.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
The old saying “ he with the most lug nuts wins” comes to mind. The larger the vehicle, the more lug nuts , the more mass usually wins the contest.

Ps. Good to hear your wife is ok.

boatpi

Reaction score
On the GLC 350E, she’s had it for about eight months now and not so much is a rattle on the inside wire strippers been to Las Vegas a couple of times. I’ve only driven it to Vegas once I prefer my Range Rover sport with your suspension is a lot smoother on the long road but I can tell you this it’s very quiet inside.

Like most luxury vehicles the cooled seats work fabulous and I actually like the 8 inch screen better than the one in my SUV.

If your wife does a short commute I think the battery when charged up goes about 20 miles on this model and even then it has start stop technology as charging was going so there’s a good chance she might not even use a tank a gas in a month or more.

The only downside I see this vehicle is the gas tank is not real large, it will get to Las Vegas but definitely not a great distance be on that and this is from Huntington Beach. So reasonable range without looking for a gas station is about 300 to 320 miles. probably room made for the huge battery.

And as some of us know, not all Mercedes are made in Germany, but this one is in the quality fit and finish really show. Superior.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Suburban. Riverbound’s experience is real world and says it all. Period.
If only I could swing that. I think there is an intangible of her being comfortable with what she is driving that factors in as well.

We test drove the model 3 today and what a car. I really wish I could afford the bigger models for more mass, but it’s the first car she’s driven since the accident and within 5 minutes she was extremely comfortable. We went over to Fletcher Jones in Newport and nobody would give us the time of day. We will try again over the next few weeks to try the other suggestions on here.

boatpi

Reaction score
If you want to look at the Mercedes go online and do the Costco referral . We got referred to the Internet manager of Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel.

extremely knowledgeable sales person about their product probably the most knowledgeable I’ve ever met .

Thousands below Fletcher Jones.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I’d get a Lexus or Subaru. MBZ and BWM are a total ripoff on repairs (had both). Lexus treats your good and they are so smooth and quiet, and the Subaru is so well regarded by owners......not the bling but the function. Good luck!

boatpi

Reaction score
If you want to look at the Mercedes go online and do the Costco referral . We got referred to the Internet manager of Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel.

extremely knowledgeable sales person about their product probably the most knowledgeable I’ve ever met .

Btw; we also made a great deal for Maintance , I think it was about $1600 for five years of factory reschedule maintenance. It’s good at any Mercedes dealer in the country

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
When I was 17 I had a motorcycle hit me. The chp that responded told me something I never forgot.

" who ever has the most lug nuts wins"

BajaMike

Reaction score

I agree with all that. As a former sales manager, fleet manager and finance manager at several big name brands, I would say:

Sedans of every brand are not selling now........if you want Accord, Lexus LS 450, any sedan you will get a deal.....tell them you want to pay $100 over invoice and want to see the invoice. SUVs, crossovers and trucks are hot.....tell them you’ll pay $200 over invoice and you want to see it. No show.....you go.

New cars and trucks are overloading the lots and ports right now. Pay more than $100 over invoice for most of them your are crazy. Most the dealers just want them off their floor plan.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
We went over to Fletcher Jones in Newport and nobody would give us the time of day. We will try again over the next few weeks to try the other suggestions on here.

I just spoke Christine Nolden (im still in front of her house) and let her know that you were not satisfied with the way you were treated.

She said, if you like, please give her a call and she will do her best to make things right.

20190812_121015.jpg

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Theres been a couple navigators in the FB group I'm in that have had serious accidents, rollovers, etc and have all faired well. The whole passenger area barely moves.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
My wife was in a head on Thursday night. The other person fell asleep at 5 in the afternoon and crossed over, hit a mail box, woke up and plugged her. This was rural with everyone running in the 60's. He woke up after the mailbox and scrubbed a little speed and she hit the brakes seeing it coming so not a true 60 but still fast when they hit. The 16 Explorer Sport took it like a champ and she is incredibly sore but intact. We are worried about the replacement disk she had installed early in the year from a previous accident (fool ran a red light and she hit them at 45) The Nissan Rouge the guy was driving this Thursday was just scary by comparison.
Thinking a new Explorer is coming our way after this. High safety ratings, big enough to take a hit, not too big to drive all the time and park, nice to drive overall. The sport edition (2020 is called something different) is fun.....

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
D934186A-909B-432C-951F-38C2F260755B.jpeg
65D3C9A8-A906-4CB0-BEBE-B8426AAFD1FE.jpeg
3BEE6F2F-1B4E-4482-AA4C-5255FDB0CC0F.jpeg
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

The Nissan had the engine pushed up under the windshield.......
The firewall was folding into the passenger compartment.
I don't think it was supposed to be doing that. Generally the passenger compartment is not supposed to significantly change shape.....

He did make it out in one piece though.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I just spoke Christine Nolden (im still in front of her house) and let her know that you were not satisfied with the way you were treated.

She said, if you like, please give her a call and she will do her best to make things right.

View attachment 786180
Thanks Wheeler. I'll make sure to give her a call this weekend. Our neighbor has a contact there as well, and If we go with the Merc I was hoping to purchase there. The silly reason being, a husky rescue we work with stated that Fletcher paid 100% of some serious medical bills for a husky that got hit by a car in front of their dealership a few years ago. No involvement, just paid the bill. Stupid I know, but I like to support organizations like that, even if it costs a bit more.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
My wife was in a head on Thursday night. The other person fell asleep at 5 in the afternoon and crossed over, hit a mail box, woke up and plugged her. This was rural with everyone running in the 60's. He woke up after the mailbox and scrubbed a little speed and she hit the brakes seeing it coming so not a true 60 but still fast when they hit. The 16 Explorer Sport took it like a champ and she is incredibly sore but intact. We are worried about the replacement disk she had installed early in the year from a previous accident (fool ran a red light and she hit them at 45) The Nissan Rouge the guy was driving this Thursday was just scary by comparison.
Thinking a new Explorer is coming our way after this. High safety ratings, big enough to take a hit, not too big to drive all the time and park, nice to drive overall. The sport edition (2020 is called something different) is fun.....
Glad your wife is OK as well. I'm pretty sure it was the same for you, but that call was the scariest moment of my life. Random good samaritan calling me and telling me my wife was in a horrible accident, was bleeding, etc.... only to hear her crying in the background..Awful.

Didn't the explorer move to unibody? Something to consider if you want to compare apples to apples.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Theres been a couple navigators in the FB group I'm in that have had serious accidents, rollovers, etc and have all faired well. The whole passenger area barely moves.
I'd love one, but those are closing in on double our budget, and are too big for her. High 40s/Low 50s is where we are looking, but I'd love to pick one up for myself.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The explorer went unibody in the early teens. The new 20’s are out and look very similar but are running a completely different chassis, body and interior. I was shocked to see how well the unibody held up.
For that budget a 19 with almost everything would fit. Dealers and Ford are getting serious about clearing them out.
Assuming ours is totaled we are considering both the 19 for cost reasons and the 20 for a few specific features.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
I'd love one, but those are closing in on double our budget, and are too big for her. High 40s/Low 50s is where we are looking, but I'd love to pick one up for myself.

Consider the aviator. Its a little smaller, still packs a 3rd row with storage behind it. Has twin turbo ecoboost 400hp (and a soon hybrid with like 600tq). Very close to the explorer chassis, but not as ugly.

2020_lincoln_aviator_4dr-suv_reserve_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resource...guides/Prelm20Towing_Lincoln_Aviator_Apr1.pdf

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Thanks Wheeler. I'll make sure to give her a call this weekend. Our neighbor has a contact there as well, and If we go with the Merc I was hoping to purchase there. The silly reason being, a husky rescue we work with stated that Fletcher paid 100% of some serious medical bills for a husky that got hit by a car in front of their dealership a few years ago. No involvement, just paid the bill. Stupid I know, but I like to support organizations like that, even if it costs a bit more.

You'll like her. She's been at the game for a very long time and should be able to earn your trust. She's got the little Fletcher at the desk next to hers and will be able to make decisions without any runaround. I mentioned the Costco deal and she said they work with them also.

I heard that Mike Tyson bought a new Merc last week. Not that it has anything to do with either of us, it's just more useless info. for RDP. ;)

Pm me your name and I'll let her know when I see her in the next couple days.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

outboard_256

Reaction score
View attachment 786188 View attachment 786185 View attachment 786186 [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

The Nissan had the engine pushed up under the windshield.......
The firewall was folding into the passenger compartment.
I don't think it was supposed to be doing that. Generally the passenger compartment is not supposed to significantly change shape.....

He did make it out in one piece though.

I am not a big fan of the Nissan/infinity suv's. You get a lot of bang for your buck but have seen several pics like yours where the Nissan looks like it was hit by a train and the other car barely has a dented hood. Their resale reflects it IMO. If I am using it to haul my family around safety is big on my list.

JD D05

Reaction score
My wife was driving an Explorer for a couple years and It was really bugging me having her in that, it is a decent size but I one of the guys that thinks bigger is better. She now drives a new Expedition and I fell a lot better about it. It is also a very very nice vehicle. The only other vehicle I considered was the GLS 550.
20190728_171521.jpg

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm not sure about these days, but back in the day, Mercedes sent an engineering team to investigate crashes in Germany. So they got real world crash data on their cars because the team would investigate real world crashes in Germany. They'd incorporate what they learned in updating their vehicles.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Another thing to think about is the safety features in the car itself. i work with subaru and have bought 4 for my family so far. Mother in law hit me up the other day where her outback predicted a collision with "eyesight" and hit the brakes for her, cinched down the seatbelts, etc. Without it she wouldve been tboned hard. Preventing a collision is safer than surviving one...

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
My wife was driving an Explorer for a couple years and It was really bugging me having her in that, it is a decent size but I one of the guys that thinks bigger is better. She now drives a new Expedition and I fell a lot better about it. It is also a very very nice vehicle. The only other vehicle I considered was the GLS 550.
View attachment 786636
I'm with you. Love the new Expos

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Another thing to think about is the safety features in the car itself. i work with subaru and have bought 4 for my family so far. Mother in law hit me up the other day where her outback predicted a collision with "eyesight" and hit the brakes for her, cinched down the seatbelts, etc. Without it she wouldve been tboned hard. Preventing a collision is safer than surviving one...
All of the cars we are looking at will have every safety feature available when ordered, and all have 5-star safety ratings. I'm finding it a little hard to piece out the tech because every manufacture has different names and packages. I think all have collision avoidance, but I'm hoping the salesperson will be able to help with that question during test drives. Like you said, I'd rather avoid than actually use the structure of the car.