WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Modular homes, anybody sell on here or have a guy?

wet hull

Reaction score
Have a offer on 4 acres in Vista, Ca. Going to scrape the property and bulldoze existing house. Looking to do a modular for now that will become a guest house when main is ready. Thats the idea anyways

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Have a offer on 4 acres in Vista, Ca. Going to scrape the property and bulldoze existing house. Looking to do a modular for now that will become a guest house when main is ready. Thats the idea anyways
The new modulars are so damn nice now.... I'd just pick out a floor plan you guys really like and build it the way you want. You can go up to 3k square ft with 9 foot ceilings, 2x6 framing and the whole nine for about $200k delivered and set-up.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

wet hull

Reaction score
The new modulars are so damn nice now.... I'd just pick out a floor plan you guys really like and build it the way you want. You can go up to 3k square ft with 9 foot ceilings, 2x6 framing and the whole nine for about $200k delivered and set-up.

Its very tempting and easy. More concerned about resale. I am a GC and will at least save my fee

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Its very tempting and easy. More concerned about resale. I am a GC and will at least save my fee
But look at how much youd save up front. Between the initial principal and the interest.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We ended up going with Cavco after shopping a few manufacturers. Lots of options out there...just shop floor plans, and pick 2 or 3 you like, and ask for pricing. We ended up with 700 more square feet for $2800 more for one model for some reason.

Taboma

Reaction score
Did you drop by Pacific Manufactured Homes in San Marcos ? Curious, you wrote modular, yet it seems the line has grayed a bit between Modular and Manufactured.
I'm considering doing one at our mountain ranch property in AZ, hard to find any local dealers, used to be a few in Ft Mohave.
A ranch neighbor who's stick built has had a nightmare experience getting subs to drive up there.

Years ago we really liked a few Hallmark floor plans, didn't "Fee" modular or manufactured, but last time I checked, they'd become hard to deal with.

c_land

Reaction score
Horizon Homes in hemet has some good options, they put in all of the new houses at the Palms and they are really nice.

wet hull

Reaction score
Did you drop by Pacific Manufactured Homes in San Marcos ? Curious, you wrote modular, yet it seems the line has grayed a bit between Modular and Manufactured.
I'm considering doing one at our mountain ranch property in AZ, hard to find any local dealers, used to be a few in Ft Mohave.
A ranch neighbor who's stick built has had a nightmare experience getting subs to drive up there.

Years ago we really liked a few Hallmark floor plans, didn't "Fee" modular or manufactured, but last time I checked, they'd become hard to deal with.
I will go by Pacific Sat. Need my offer accepted first. Fingers crossed they will come down on price to a more realistic price as we presented.

Taboma

Reaction score
I will go by Pacific Sat. Need my offer accepted first. Fingers crossed they will come down on price to a more realistic price as we presented.

My wife and I have chatted with a couple of sales folks at Pacific in the past and they seemed very knowledgeable. Didn't seem to have an qualms about arranging delivery and setup even as far as our place north of Kingman Az. I'm sure they're well versed locally.
Good luck on your purchase !!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
In our past but relevant, we bought a brand new manufactured on the Coast in Oregon and lived in it for 25 years and NEVER had a problem one. I was going to stick build but inspecting the plant where we ended up buying, we went the other way and let them do it all. 1800' of nice stuff and this was years ago.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I had a BIL who delivered them and he told me almost all are better built than a stick built. Can you pick up a stick built and have it no fall apart? they are built strong to be able to be moved.

Englewood

Reaction score
I found out that a huge ADDITIONAL cost is the setup!

sirbob

Reaction score
https://methodhomes.net

Something like this is more my style for modular prefab houses. These don't look like trailers and could seriously be your main home. As a GC you can do all the foundations / plumbing / electrical etc to prep the site, them have them drop the new house on your prepped location.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 10.48.40 AM.png

World of difference when you compare to a Pacific style house... Method will cost more - but in my mind its worth it when you compare to a trailer park house.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 10.50.01 AM.png

Here is a version of their most simple (most trailer like) house.

https://methodhomes.net/project/modern-monogram-house/

Last edited:

lavey jr

Reaction score
Check out Ma Williams. I’ve reached out to them and they’ve been very helpful and upfront about all costs associated.

https://www.mawilliamshomes.com/

I see you said modular home, not sure of the exact difference between manufactured. From what I’ve researched, if you place the home on an actual concrete foundation it get classified in value as a normal built home so the resale value will be the same.

wet hull

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Pacific is more a manufactured home. The Method homes our modular and really the sky is the limit on those. I will prep pad, septic to both homes and electrical/ solar. Yes on a concrete pad and anchored down it will classify as a traditional loan and most likely no hurt re sale.

jonnyd

Reaction score
There are some big differences between Modular and Manufactured Homes. I sell both of them here in northern CA. For affordability and timing you cannot go wrong with the manufactured product. It is also a more streamlined process for building permits. Everything that we place on private property is required to go on a foundation system.

It sounds like you want to put a manufactured home on your property and use it as your temporary residence while building your dream home? This is now referred to as an ADU, Accessory Dwelling Unit. California is really promoting ADU's right now. You will need to find out how many square feet Vista will allow you to put on the property as they have specific sizes allowed.

If I had to give you a recommendation as to which product to go with in your area I would suggest the Silvercrest factory in Corona. Ma Williams and Pacific both offer the Silvercrest. I have purchased many homes from them over the last two years and have been impressed with their quality, craftsmanship and features. I am continually impressed with how clean these homes are when they get to Santa Rosa.

If and when you do get ready to order a home. Ask about the MH Advantage features. These are a few minor additional features that will make your home Fannie Mae compliant. This will help with a loan if needed as well as resale later. I would also recommend 2 X 6 walls, increased insulation in the ceiling and the Energy Star certification. This will make your home much more pleasant in the hot months.

Feel free to ask more questions as you go! Good luck with the property!

wet hull

Reaction score
There are some big differences between Modular and Manufactured Homes. I sell both of them here in northern CA. For affordability and timing you cannot go wrong with the manufactured product. It is also a more streamlined process for building permits. Everything that we place on private property is required to go on a foundation system.

It sounds like you want to put a manufactured home on your property and use it as your temporary residence while building your dream home? This is now referred to as an ADU, Accessory Dwelling Unit. California is really promoting ADU's right now. You will need to find out how many square feet Vista will allow you to put on the property as they have specific sizes allowed.

If I had to give you a recommendation as to which product to go with in your area I would suggest the Silvercrest factory in Corona. Ma Williams and Pacific both offer the Silvercrest. I have purchased many homes from them over the last two years and have been impressed with their quality, craftsmanship and features. I am continually impressed with how clean these homes are when they get to Santa Rosa.

If and when you do get ready to order a home. Ask about the MH Advantage features. These are a few minor additional features that will make your home Fannie Mae compliant. This will help with a loan if needed as well as resale later. I would also recommend 2 X 6 walls, increased insulation in the ceiling and the Energy Star certification. This will make your home much more pleasant in the hot months.

Feel free to ask more questions as you go! Good luck with the property!
Will do, thanks for all the wisdom

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
See if you have a gj Gardner franchise in that area and get a price. I looked into the modular thing but this out builds a pretty decent on site product for not much more than a modular.