WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Children of Baja... would you???

yz450mm

Reaction score
My dad was a part of the Chapala Dusters pit crew, so I grew up going down there at least two or three times a year for the first fifteen years of my life. I've gone back quite a few times as an adult, and it has never let me down. Baja and it's people are amazing...

Dust to Glory 2 highlights Casa Esperanza that helps women with children that have nowhere else to go. It's easy to pass off as part of the movie, but look into it a little bit deeper, and your eyes might cloud.

There are so many kids down there that are beyond Innocent, but have nowhere else to go. They don't have an adult parent that can provide for them... Would you be a part of their future?

I just turned 38, I have a 9 year old daughter that is very well taken care of, and I'm not anticipating having another child. If I could change the life of another child from Baja, I think that would be a good thing.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mikes56

Reaction score
I've been to Baja several times, either racing, chasing, or just for off-road pleasure trips. I feel the same way you do. My wife and I wanted to bring one of the little kids home with us, and give them a great life here. One of the things I noticed when I was there was that all the kids are happy. They were just playing with a stick, or running around with their friends.

It made me wonder how they could be happy being so dirt poor. I guess happiness doesn't come from money, huh...

grumpy88

Reaction score
I think your heart is in the right place and that is all that matters . There are millions of kids in America in foster homes desperately wanting to feel the love somebody like you and your wife want to give . Like you said money does not provide happiness to a child . Feeling loved does . Sounds like you two are already better people then the most of us . Good luck on your decision .

Andy B.

Reaction score
I think your heart is in the right place and that is all that matters . There are millions of kids in America in foster homes desperately wanting to feel the love somebody like you and your wife want to give . Like you said money does not provide happiness to a child . Feeling loved does . Sounds like you two are already better people then the most of us . Good luck on your decision .

I agreed help our own first then worry about the rest. I know people that cross continent's to adopt because the red tap here is ridiculous I personally don't think its right but it happens all the time sad really.....

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The younger the better. Every kid deserves a loving home. Life will be easier on you if they dont have the dark streak that so many of these kids develop from abuse and neglect. The way we still treat kids today is terrible. Lots of homeless junkies delivering kids if you want to go that route. My wife is a l&d nurse and sees it everyday.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Something hit me pretty hard during the last norra race I did down there, when I was rolling through this tiny little town in the middle of nowhere it the race car during a speed zone. This little town has no decent roads in or out, and it had a cobble Main Street about a hundred yards long. You’d see all the moms gathered up on one place working on something, all the men in another spot doing what ever they do, and then a little herd of children running after a ball or whatever, and then we’d roll through in what must seem like a space ship to them. The look of contentment in their faces is what I noticed the most. These people just taking it day by day, and not a care in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don’t think you can bring little kids home from Mexico.. ?? Can you?

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
Like mentioned, I have traveled to Mexico , past Baja, often.

Our definition of contentment and a good life is different then most in the country. It is selfish for us to think that we know what is best for "them". That's part of the resentment most have against us when you travel deep into villages. Its slightly American "arrogance".

Yes, there are children there that need our help. I have met a ton of friends from there, and I try to help out in a monetary sense to the Parent when I can. My friends also did that I traveled with. ie....... My buddy just bought an oven for a lady to get her business going on selling birthday cakes. She is ecsatic for the assistance. It was like $150. No biggie to him but a world to her.

The way we look at it, id much rather give over there than homeless handouts here and false charitable organizations.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Like mentioned, I have traveled to Mexico , past Baja, often.

Our definition of contentment and a good life is different then most in the country. It is selfish for us to think that we know what is best for "them". That's part of the resentment most have against us when you travel deep into villages. Its slightly American "arrogance".

Yes, there are children there that need our help. I have met a ton of friends from there, and I try to help out in a monetary sense to the Parent when I can. My friends also did that I traveled with. ie....... My buddy just bought an oven for a lady to get her business going on selling birthday cakes. She is ecsatic for the assistance. It was like $150. No biggie to him but a world to her.

The way we look at it, id much rather give over there than homeless handouts here and false charitable organizations.

I know we're there are some appliances that could use a good home. Due to a recent kitchen remodel.

Would love to see em go to a good home like that. :)

gqchris

Reaction score
I know we're there are some appliances that could use a good home. Due to a recent kitchen remodel.

Would love to see em go to a good home like that. :)

Yea its such a luxury there. She was so happy. And to see her hustle and make ends meet is inspiring. She is in Gudalajara. She works two jobs and makes a little under 7,000 Pesos a month. ($350USD)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yea its such a luxury there. She was so happy. And to see her hustle and make ends meet is inspiring. She is in Gudalajara. She works two jobs and makes a little under 7,000 Pesos a month. ($350USD)

Can you help make this happen??

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
I've been to Baja several times, either racing, chasing, or just for off-road pleasure trips. I feel the same way you do. My wife and I wanted to bring one of the little kids home with us, and give them a great life here. One of the things I noticed when I was there was that all the kids are happy. They were just playing with a stick, or running around with their friends.

It made me wonder how they could be happy being so dirt poor. I guess happiness doesn't come from money, huh...

They Don't know any different so what is there to be upset about...
In a weird way when I get lost in my own thoughts... I sometime wonder if the Elite rich people look at us(middle class) with the same thoughts... We think were pretty happy with our boats and rv's or whatever we covet at the moment that is our personal prize or status symbol... All the time some super rich fucker is on a mega yacht with 2 helicopters watching us all saying something similar... Like WTF are these people doing... sitting on the Frwy , playing with motor boats, heck some of them even have a house on wheels they drive somewhere else and sleep in...lol

That's some of the random shit that blows through the dusty valley between my ears..

KevinR

Reaction score
Your heart is being tugged on big time. I understand.

While far short of adopting a child, our family has been supporting children through an organization called Compassion International for over 10 years. It is a commitment to provide $38/ month to a child and her family. You have no idea how much $38 helps them.

In addition to monetary support, there is the opportunity to write and receive letters from your sponsored child. I can tell you this is an incredible experience. The relationships developed are genuine, sincere and extremely humbling. I recently had a girl from Haiti turn 18 that I’ve sponsored since she was 8. I have another girl in Mexico that’s just turned 12.

Here is the link to Compassion. They are well organized and push maximum $$$ to the girl, their family and local community. https://www.compassion.com/

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
Your heart is being tugged on big time. I understand.

While far short of adopting a child, our family has been supporting children through an organization called Compassion International for over 10 years. It is a commitment to provide $38/ month to a child and her family. You have no idea how much $38 helps them.

In addition to monetary support, there is the opportunity to write and receive letters from your sponsored child. I can tell you this is an incredible experience. The relationships developed are genuine, sincere and extremely humbling. I recently had a girl from Haiti turn 18 that I’ve sponsored since she was 8. I have another girl in Mexico that’s just turned 12.

Here is the link to Compassion. They are well organized and push maximum $$$ to the girl, their family and local community. https://www.compassion.com/

Another REAL way to help the community is through Flying Sumaritans. My FIL has a plane and he donates his time and plane to flying doctors down usually to the Bay of LA for clinics... doctors , dentists etc... its a great cause and you see the dollars applied to the community and not to the pockets of the organizers.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Nala dog is from Baja its quite the eye opener down there
IMG_20190624_213528355.jpg

Wayn-o

Reaction score
My dad was a part of the Chapala Dusters pit crew, so I grew up going down there at least two or three times a year for the first fifteen years of my life. I've gone back quite a few times as an adult, and it has never let me down. Baja and it's people are amazing...

Dust to Glory 2 highlights Casa Esperanza that helps women with children that have nowhere else to go. It's easy to pass off as part of the movie, but look into it a little bit deeper, and your eyes might cloud.

There are so many kids down there that are beyond Innocent, but have nowhere else to go. They don't have an adult parent that can provide for them... Would you be a part of their future?

I just turned 38, I have a 9 year old daughter that is very well taken care of, and I'm not anticipating having another child. If I could change the life of another child from Baja, I think that would be a good thing.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I too was part of the Chapala Dusters in the late 80s and early 90s. My race partner's dad was president for many years. Baja is a magical, mystical place that will suck you in over time. While we see them with nothing, you also see how content they are with what they have. Thats all they know. Prerunning many races, you find the nicest people in the middle of nowhere that would give you anything you needed. I sometimes stop and ask the ranchers the best way through an area because they live there and know where he silt bed will grow huge. The kids all want steekers (stickers) they are almost like a get out of jail free card! They are the best people. Yes, there are those that are not, but we have that here too.
We take clothes and things down to a church or a few orphanages. Cameron Steels rounds up donations from racers for the "Beach Bash" trip that went last month to the tune of over $160,000. He is one the biggest proponents of giving back to Baja as he spends an innordinate amount of time down there. The feeling of giving to these people that welcome us racers down there is incredible. You cant beat it. If you can help someone there in any way, its a great feeling.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Brother Iam Mexican but we have 4 generations in California we speak English as a first language