WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ever consider a sport cruiser..... Ie Sundancer, Formula

2Driver

Reaction score
Some our best boating times have been when we were on the water for multiple days. Our BVI trip and Powell trips were spectacular and it has me looking at an agile Sport Cruiser, with minimalist galley, bed and AC

Has anyone done this or thought about it. Maybe something like this or a 27’

DAEB5FC3-8336-41E4-B670-EAC6E80EDE3F.jpeg

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
if you don't need to go fast , This version or a kick ass Pontoon is the only way to go... My 31 Tiara open is still one of my favorites...It was Ocean only. But some good times on that boat.

Nothing wrong with your thoughts there...

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I dig my Formula SS. You thinking twin or single engine?

2Driver

Reaction score
I dig my Formula SS. You thinking twin or single engine?

Single. I’m more of a keep it simple, Swiss Army knife guy. For Powell, I’d add a kicker, if that’s possible, for peace of mind.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I would never be able to justify the slip fees. I do think a cool little 23' parker wheelhouse like what rivergames has would be awesome for getting out into the big blue for some cruising and fishing action. Something you could trailer and store in the side yard that wouldn't cost a fortune.

If I had a dock I would be pretty good with a 37-40" Formula....lol

2Driver

Reaction score
Me neither has to be trailered. Would plan on Phx area lakes and Powell, maybe trip somewhere else like flaming gorge or Mead. Never thought of a 23

Just need a cabin to get out of storms, AC super minimal cabin with bed for 2. Done the pontoon deal on Powell for 7 days and the storms about killed is.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I’ve thought long and hard about this. Would love to go out to the lake Saturday after the kids sports and be able to stay the night. Sleep on the boat in the AC out in a cove or even in the dock and hang at the marina bar.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Mine is a 27.5’ with an added swim step. Has open bow that has an snap in cover and a mid cabin that sleeps two adults and a kid. Portable head, microwave, refrigerator, sink and propane grill. Has a Merc 496HO. Had a triple axle Galvanized trailer with elec/Hyd brakes built for it. Takes on any waves and very comfortable. Coming from a twin, sips gas pretty good. Cruises at 45-50 and tops out at 63. Here is one except this is 30 feet. Great boats.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/...e=standard listing&refsource=standard listing

GRADS

Reaction score
Single. I’m more of a keep it simple, Swiss Army knife guy. For Powell, I’d add a kicker, if that’s possible, for peace of mind.
I’m thinking under 10k lbs.
Did you see mine in the classified section?....Shameless plug.:D If you want a galley and A/C you are most likely looking at a twin engine, at least with Formula's.
The Formula PC is more like the first picture you posted where the SS's are a little more sporty with a cabin. I think all PC's are twin engine though. Also you're trying to keep it under 10K lbs....Mine is 8K just for reference....and it's not that big.

Here's mine....

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/formula-260ss.202281/

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
Some our best boating times have been when we were on the water for multiple days. Our BVI trip and Powell trips were spectacular and it has me looking at an agile Sport Cruiser, with minimalist galley, bed and AC

View attachment 787383

Yes but not until the next boating chapter begins. May include part time residence for more use.

GRADS

Reaction score
One more thing....if you go with a fairly big cruiser boat and it's a single, most likely the ad will say it has a brand new drive installed. There's a reason for that.;):D

2Driver

Reaction score
Im looking to keep it simple one drive, 26’ trailerable. If its a hassle I sell it. Your boat looks nice but more than I need. This is a 18 month thing

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Yes but not until the next boating chapter begins. May include part time residence for more use.

Where can you live on your boat part time? I looked at picking up a CC for the ocean and keeping it slipped full time but only living on it a few weeks out of the year. I was told there’s nowhere that allow live aboard anymore do to environmental regulations.

If I could do a part time live aboard in the OC or LA my wife and I would be there as often as we could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RodnJen

Reaction score
Where can you live on your boat part time? I looked at picking up a CC for the ocean and keeping it slipped full time but only living on it a few weeks out of the year. I was told there’s nowhere that allow live aboard anymore do to environmental regulations.

If I could do a part time live aboard in the OC or LA my wife and I would be there as often as we could.

Not live aboard, just live somewhere else with warm water boating.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
We are looking at a big cruiser. More like 45 feet

Its like an RV on water

But I cannot get my head around how slow they go

My wife is in but me not so much

blown32

Reaction score
We had a Formula 31 PC that we kept slipped at Powell for about five years, as well as keeping the house and a boat at Havasu. We absolutely loved the good times with the PC on Powell, new beach every night. Best part was that we had everything we needed. Got to Powell many of late nights with the kids, got on board turned on the A/C, put a movie on for the kids sat back and enjoyed the good times on the docks. The only down side was trying to enjoy both lakes during the summer months. Got to be to much traveling back and fourth and finally let the Formula go...but we always talk about having another PC!!

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Some of my best times on the water was disappearing on the delta for a week at s time on our Carver 32' with flybridge. Not the newest or fanciest but a good solid boat. Guy that bought it drove it straight to Santa Cruz

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I have a 27 formula that may fit your bill. It just depends on how much of an cabin are you looking for. Mine is the 271 with a 502 mag, water system, and toilet. Grads has another nice boat as well. Grads is more of a cross between an express cruiser and performance. Traditionally with formula, the SR series are performance based, the PC are a full express and the SS lines are the cross.
20180311_072421.jpg
20180311_072404.jpg
20170408_193819.jpg
20170408_202046.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I second the outboard thought, technology has come a long way

2Driver

Reaction score
I have a 27 formula that may fit your bill. It just depends on how much of an cabin are you looking for. Mine is the 271 with a 502 mag, water system, and toilet. Grads has another nice boat as well. Grads is more of a cross between an express cruiser and performance. Traditionally with formula, the SR series are performance based, the PC are a full express and the SS lines are the cross. View attachment 787542 View attachment 787558 View attachment 787573 View attachment 787574

Ive always loved Formulas but if we end up doing this it will be a small micro cabin set up

Orange Juice

Reaction score

View attachment 787383
I bought a new eliminator 1985 Mohave with a sleeper cuddly. I still have it.

I would have a sport cruiser, but they are too big for towing, and I like to to boat on many lakes.

If it were a second home, and slipped on one lake/marina, I could see the sport cruiser.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Ive always loved Formulas but if we end up doing this it will be a small micro cabin set up
Ill be moving my boat back to havasu next month, if your around come check it out. We can go take it out, see if this style will work for your needs

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I’ve thought long and hard about this. Would love to go out to the lake Saturday after the kids sports and be able to stay the night. Sleep on the boat in the AC out in a cove or even in the dock and hang at the marina bar.
AC’s are very noisy. It’s not like central air. :)

GRADS

Reaction score
You realize the table in the cabin on mine turns into a bed, it has a pump out head and has fresh water?:D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I would never be able to justify the slip fees. I do think a cool little 23' parker wheelhouse like what rivergames has would be awesome for getting out into the big blue for some cruising and fishing action. Something you could trailer and store in the side yard that wouldn't cost a fortune.

If I had a dock I would be pretty good with a 37-40" Formula....lol
Have you checked out Freedom boat club? I think it is around 2500 down / 400 a month, but for that you get unlimited rentals of their fleet of boats, they have a good selection of boats in most major harbors. Seems to be newer stuff too. Everything from 18' runabouts up to 25' center consoles with outboards. I wouldn't use it enough to justify, but if you wanted to ocean boat alot seems like a great deal. No maintainance, no cleaning, no slip fees. Just show up, use it for the day, and drop it off. I think you can overnight them as well as long as you reserve it as such - but I don't think they have anything with cabins.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Have you checked out Freedom boat club? I think it is around 2500 down / 400 a month, but for that you get unlimited rentals of their fleet of boats, they have a good selection of boats in most major harbors. Seems to be newer stuff too. Everything from 18' runabouts up to 25' center consoles with outboards. I wouldn't use it enough to justify, but if you wanted to ocean boat alot seems like a great deal. No maintainance, no cleaning, no slip fees. Just show up, use it for the day, and drop it off. I think you can overnight them as well as long as you reserve it as such - but I don't think they have anything with cabins.

I'd stay away from Freedom Boat club stuff. They dont take care of their boats at all. I used to work on the ones in Austin until I started finding that they all had engines with dead holes and electrical issues galore. For that kind of money, just buy your own boat an know that its actually taken care of and will be dependable

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I hear what your saying but I know where there is a 1999 Formula 353 Fastech with Twin HP 500 efi racing motors and Air Conditioning that has been sitting for close to 10 years in Peoria Az that could be bought. Low hours too. Maybe 200 or so hours.
My buddy has been working in North Dakota since 2010 and the boat hasn't moved since before then. Shoot me a pm if you want to talk to him about it as it isn't advertised anywhere.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I have thought of buying one and living on it. I think I would need bigger than a trailerable though. Do it for a few years and then onto the next deal. Of course....where to live on one is the big question. Just ride my Harley up to the slip ;) About 15 years ago or so I was real close to buying a new SeaRay. Stayed in the performance boat arena though.

2Driver

Reaction score
AC’s are very noisy. It’s not like central air. :)

You are right about that.

Earplugs and 76 is still better than 98 and quiet. We usually run it to freezing then shut it off around 10 then sleep with windows open.

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
You are right about that.

Earplugs and 76 is still better than 98 and quiet. We usually run it to freezing then shut it off around 10 then sleep with windows open.
Not true with the new units. I have a 16k btu unit and I can’t hear the compressor turn on. The only noise I can hear is the air coming out the vents, and that’s not fan noise. When the tv or stereo is on I can’t tell it’s on.

rrrr

Reaction score

View attachment 787383

Chaparral cruisers are damn nice boats.

My wife and I owned a 30’ Sea Ray Sundancer between 2007-2011. It was a nice change from our 26’ Chaparral 256 bowrider and our Howard flatbottom.

We would play in one of those boats during the day, and take the Sea Ray out for sunsets and an enjoyable overnight. It was nice with just the two of us, but there was also enough room for another couple to spend the night.

We looked at a couple of Formula cruisers, but decided the cost wasn't worth spending for a third boat that was used intermittently.

2Driver

Reaction score
Yeah IF we do this I’m thinking, used smallest Sundancer.

Had a 21 chaparral in 04. It was a decent little boat, then we rented a 2018 in Idaho last month. Man, talk about cost reduction. They don’t even offer it with a V8 anymore. Yamaha jet boats are eating their lunch in that market I suppose.

Last edited:

JD D05

Reaction score
I have thought about it especially when I am camping in 100 degrees on Powell. A lot of the guys I go with have cruisers and they love them.

Thunderhead1

Reaction score

Long beach has live aborads....Maybe they are grandfathered in under some new city ordinance , Not sure . Harbor island has ALOT of live abords in San Diego.
Ive been out of the Ocean boating scene for about 2 yrs now.... I hadn't heard of any regulations banning Liveabord. Especially since the marina and pier parking lots are full of RV's parked for free...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
ray1.jpg
nauti.JPG
I have done it and I am currently doing it. It is the best boating of my lifetime. I am actually surprised more express cruisers are not at Havasu. I go up on a friday afternoon after work and do not come home or off the lake until I feel like it. I have gone straight to work from my boat at 6 am on Monday morning....

Sundancer 290 with twin 5.7 Mercs, 5Kw Generator with AC/HEAT, fully galley...
10'2" Beam....

Last edited:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Living in the delta, I have seriously considered doing something along these lines. My criteria are that I can stand up in it with room to get past the wife. It also needs to be trailerable. This means I am looking at something 31 or lower. I would want the 10' beam, the room this opens up inside is huge. Friends had a 27' Sea Ray that was nice but still incredibly tight. I would actually prefer outboards but that is not common. Twin engines would be a plus as Grads mentioned above.
A setup like this would allow me to slip it here in the Delta but pull it out when I wanted to do something like maintenance or for winter. Additionally I would occasionally go somewhere else for a week on it. I have enough truck to do this within reason, just need to find the right boat.

2Driver

Reaction score
View attachment 787748 View attachment 787747 I have done it and I am currently doing it. It is the best boating of my lifetime. I am actually surprised more express cruisers are not at Havasu. I go up on a friday afternoon after work and do not come home or off the lake until I feel like it. I have gone straight to work from my boat at 6 am on Monday morning....

Sundancer 290 with twin 5.7 Mercs, 5Kw Generator with AC/HEAT, fully galley...
10'2" Beam....

That’s awesome

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at cruisers. I'm thinking bigger though, Sundancer 340 and she found a nice Formula 400 SS.
Both under a 12' beam so an easier permit process for towing.