WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Safest vehicles on the road?..

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I'm not sure about these days, but back in the day, Mercedes sent an engineering team to investigate crashes in Germany. So they got real world crash data on their cars because the team would investigate real world crashes in Germany. They'd incorporate what they learned in updating their vehicles.
Pretty sure Volvo still does this. Apparently they have a goal of no deaths in their cars by 2020

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
but I'm hoping the salesperson will be able to help with that question

If you do some research before hand...… I am POSITIVE that you will know more than the average salesman.... I am always baffled about how little they know..... BUT, I tend to know what I want and why, so... Research ;) Some good advice on here already.

ramos45

Reaction score
All of the cars we are looking at will have every safety feature available when ordered, and all have 5-star safety ratings. I'm finding it a little hard to piece out the tech because every manufacture has different names and packages. I think all have collision avoidance, but I'm hoping the salesperson will be able to help with that question during test drives. Like you said, I'd rather avoid than actually use the structure of the car.

The salesperson is going to tell you exactly what you want to hear to make the sale. Do your own research beforehand to know what you're walking into and to call them out on their BS.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'm buying cars with the idea of first safety, then they will eventually be handed down to the DIL or one of the girls in the extended family with kids.

Wife wants a dog hauler too so we like the Toyota Highlander.
Does good in the crash tests. Reliable, runs a long time.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The wife was very interested in the Expedition also. the issue is that it is too big in many cases. I drive everything from a long bed, crew cab drw to small cars for work. We have found that the explorer is a great mid to larger vehicle that you can still park without issues and gets reasonable fuel mileage. The Exp is going to cost you 5 mpg from the explorer. One of the big ones for us right now is the Expedition is rated to tow the boat..... However we have the truck as big a deal.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Might be older and bigger then you want, but I have a friend selling is 2008 gmc Yukon. Not sure on the model, but it has the 6.2 and add. It only has 39k miles on it. I think he wants 8 or 9k for it. He is in rosevile just north of Sacramento. I think it's spent more hours in his garage then it has on the road.

Edit**** a member bought it already.

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Might be older and bigger then you want, but I have a friend selling is 2008 gmc Yukon. Not sure on the model, but it has the 6.2 and add. It only has 39k miles on it. I think he wants 8 or 9k for it. He is in rosevile just north of Sacramento. I think it's spent more hours in his garage then it has on the road.
Thanks for the heads-up, but yah bigger and older than what we are looking at. I would have loved to pick it up for myself before all this happened, but I've got to get her settled first. I appreciate it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'm finding it a little hard to piece out the tech because every manufacture has different names and packages. I think all have collision avoidance, but I'm hoping the salesperson will be able to help with that question during test drives.

Active safety features basically fall into the below buckets:
Automatic emergency braking, paired with radar cruise control.

Lane keep assist (actively steers), or lane departure warning (you have to steer). Uses cameras to detect lane markings. LKA may also include lane centering, which helps the car travel down the center of the lane.

Blind Spot Monitor
Detects cars, may add resistance to steering wheel to prevent drift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Lane keep assist (actively steers)

Ehh "actively steers" is generous. Most use the brake module to apply pressure to the opposite brake to pull the car to the left/right while engaging some haptic feedback to make you think its doing something special. Not many cars have systems that utilize the steering wheel unless it has electric steering.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Ehh "actively steers" is generous. Most use the brake module to apply pressure to the opposite brake to pull the car to the left/right while engaging some haptic feedback to make you think its doing something special. Not many cars have systems that utilize the steering wheel unless it has electric steering.
Any listing of which ones have it?

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
I went a bought an Audi Q5 for the wife after seeing this accident. Driver of the audi was fine. Both cars going about 50mph head on
upload_2019-8-13_18-19-27.jpeg

Other car had to be torn apart
upload_2019-8-13_18-19-53.jpeg
upload_2019-8-13_18-20-3.jpeg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

pronstar

Reaction score

Most cars today have electric power steering [emoji4]

I know Nissan and Infiniti used the braking method at one time...Lexus uses the steering gear.
I dunno what specific carmakers use what specific method tho

But you’re right, depending on the carmaker YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I just spoke Christine Nolden (im still in front of her house) and let her know that you were not satisfied with the way you were treated.

She said, if you like, please give her a call and she will do her best to make things right.

View attachment 786180
I sent my wife out solo yesterday to whittle the list down a bit before we pull the trigger this weekend. "I hate car shopping and don't want to spend the weekend doing this stuff" My wife had glowing reviews of Christine. Thank you very much for the connection.

My wife drove the GLC and GLE, and after driving the GLE, the GLC was a no go. The difference between the two was night and day according to her. The additional size makes me happy, but those things are pretty pricey when you start adding up options. She also jumped over to Lexus of Newport and drove an RX and said it was like driving the Nissan Rogue she has as a rental when compared to the GLE. Another no go. Today is Subaru, Volvo, and possibly a Q7.

Rjt01

Reaction score
F4574BA2-8D97-42ED-A694-FAE6F2DDE5F4.png
Glad to here that the wife is ok . My old lr3 had been rear ended 3 times an just shook it off lol my wife loved that landy . But if u want ur wife to be super safe u need to get her this lol never will have to deal with road rage ever again lol

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
View attachment 787783 Glad to here that the wife is ok . My old lr3 had been rear ended 3 times an just shook it off lol my wife loved that landy . But if u want ur wife to be super safe u need to get her this lol never will have to deal with road rage ever again lol
I saw one of these in Laguna Niguel a few weeks ago. I'd definitely feel safe with her driving it. :)

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Q5 was a possibility, so we rented one from Silvercar for a week. Wife didn’t think it was very comfortable so we moved on. We may have to revisit if it has a superior safety rating.
I have an S4. Great seats. I rented a Q5 a few weeks ago from Silvercar for a few days (Audi owners get a free day). I didn't like the seats, but I imagine the Q5's in the rental fleet are lower trim ones, so the better ones may have better seats, or sport seats available. We were in Denver when it was about 100 degrees and the AC really had a hard time keeping up as well. The Silvercar experience is really good.

My dad bought a Q8 a few months ago and it is really comfortable. He is 85 and does have some issues figuring out a lot of the infotainment and stupid gear selector though.

boatpi

Reaction score
On all that active stuff, our GLC350E has it, heart of an option package it’s pretty interesting how it works the wheel vibrates a bit if you try making a ling change when someone is alongside of you. Easy to overcome but it works pretty well.

Its pretty close to drive it like a Tesla but I would not relly upon that completely.

The semi autonomous driving the only downside as I’m driving to Vegas in it and you get behind a slow semi, change lanes ahead of time or else it’ll almost brake for you when it senses you’re getting too close, then it has to accelerate again. The key is to change lanes in advance and it will keep the car straight and a steady speed.

Havafewinsider

Reaction score
Well, my wife got into a serious accident yesterday, but she only walked away with a concussion, night in the hospital, and a few cuts and bruises. Very lucky. Car is totaled, so I’m moving up our purchase a few months early. I want the full safety suite this time. Any recommendations? I’d like the biggest vehicle possible, think suburban, but it looks like the biggest she wants is Acura RDX, Merc GLC, Lexus RX, Volvo XC60 size. I’ve also seen some great ratings out of the new Outback and Tesla model 3. Any input? Just the two of us and a couple huskies for now.

Take a hard look at the Durango. We went from a suburban and had the same concerns. Good crash ratings, not as big as a sunurban, seats 6 passengers confortably. First Dodge we have owned and are pleasantly suprised with quality fit and finish.

pronstar

Reaction score
In 2014:
“The 11 models with zero driver deaths include the Audi A6 Quattro, Audi Q7 Quattro, rear-wheel drive BMW 535i, BMW 535xi xDrive, Jeep Cherokee 4x4, Lexus CT 200h, front-wheel Lexus RX 350, front-wheel drive Mazda CX-9, Mercedes-Benz M-Class 4Matic, Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed 4x4, and front-wheel Volkswagen Tiguan.”

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/140627/overall-driver-death-rates-up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well, it was a long 2 weeks but she made her pick. Tesla Model 3 won out for her in the end, but it was EXTREMELY close with the XC60.
1. 2019 Tesla Model 3 Long-range AWD with FSD-2nd cheapest new car, high tech, great warranty, even cheaper with tax credits, great commuter, carpool lane access, a little lower than I would have liked, but it weighs the same as the compact SUVs we tested
2. 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription fully loaded- Good power, awesome massage seats, great handling with the air suspension, safe, $10k more than the Model 3, poor warranty, high maintenance costs?
3. 2019 Acura RDX AWD with the advanced package- Cheapest of everything tested, well-appointed for the price, good handling, sufficient power, cheapest ice maintenance

She also loved the Merc GLE 4matic, but 2020 has a much better interior than 2019, and nobody had one we could look at. 2020 would have been out of budget, but I've been known to do stupid stuff in the past so I'm glad she moved on. If the electric car doesn't work out I may just push for an off-lease 2020 as that was my favorite. Rounding out the bottom were Q7, Q5, GLC 4matic, X5 Idrive, and RX350.

Thank you, everyone, for the insight and help. I really appreciate it.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Congrats, I’m sure you’ll both be happy.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I'm buying cars with the idea of first safety, then they will eventually be handed down to the DIL or one of the girls in the extended family with kids.

Wife wants a dog hauler too so we like the Toyota Highlander.
Does good in the crash tests. Reliable, runs a long time.

My dog has approved my wife's Honda Pilot.
Both are very safe, come with every safety feature, fairly heavy, have tons of room, and are very relaible over the long term.