WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gallbladder!

satellitemike

Reaction score
So it was a rough weekend and went to the ER Mon morning about 2am and after about an hour and a half they said to get comfy as I wasn't going anywhere! Long story short they removed it about 6pm Mon via arthroscopy.
So who else has had it removed and what are some of the things I will need to avoid in the near future? Any other long term shitty side affects?
Not going to post the pic of the "angry" GB as the surgeon called it unless you clowns want to get grossed out?

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Wife had hers out Tues morning 10 am. Told her no lift over 10 lbs for 2 weeks. No greasy food. Low carb and low fat foods. That was it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Mine was a bit odd. I was 27yo and in good shape...but my genetics sucked!

No heavy lifting for a bit, common sense stuff there. Long term is different for different people. The stuff that caused pain or attacks before, may blow right out the back door now. Some people it's temporary, others it may be that way for some items and not all. Make damn sure there's a restroom around when trying some foods. Stress that upsets your stomach may also cause some unscheduled "breaks". Working construction, I started skipping lunch to be "safe" on jobsites.

Now, here's an odd one. 1 in 2000 people have what they call an auxiliary bile duct. Those are rare enough they never look for them. If you have some gnarly pain, like an attack, get back to the doctor. I was that 1 in 2000. That shit hurt, and I toughed it out for a few days...stupid.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Had mine removed two years ago. Recovery is fast. One thing to watch out for is make sure there’s a restroom close after you eat. They’ll be times when you’ll be half way done with a meal and you’ll have to shit your guts out. The gallbladder was the regulator for bile which breaks down fat. Without it, the bile will be ready on an empty stomach( first meal of the day) and you’ll feel your stomach drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I had mine out three years ago. My only side effect is my body no longer processes alcohol well. I get the hangover feeling/headache after one drink. I was told 15%-20% of people have the issue. It sucks as I love having a drink or a beer with a meal. Now drinking is a planned event where I advil up and drink past the headache.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Buddy had his removed a few months back. Was off work for a week. No change in diet.. Eats like a pig still.. :eek:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I had mine out three years ago. My only side effect is my body no longer processes alcohol well. I get the hangover feeling/headache after one drink. I was told 15%-20% of people have the issue. It sucks as I love having a drink or a beer with a meal. Now drinking is a planned event where I advil up and drink past the headache.
I never put the two together! 1 or 2 drinks feels like a 12 pack...so now when I do drink it's a planned event. Have to make it worth while;)

Had mine removed two years ago. Recovery is fast. One thing to watch out for is make sure there’s a restroom close after you eat. They’ll be times when you’ll be half way done with a meal and you’ll have to shit your guts out. The gallbladder was the regulator for bile which breaks down fat. Without it, the bile will be ready on an empty stomach( first meal of the day) and you’ll feel your stomach drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carnitas and I have a love/hate relationship still after 15 years!

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I had mine removed four years ago. Hope you are lucky like me. I can eat anything, have not had any issues with greasy foods etc. Just wish mine had been removed sooner.

fmo24

Reaction score
My partner had his removed but it was the old fashioned surgery as his was a rotten mess per the Docs. As stated early after surgery it just hits and he had to shit like right now. He gave up coffee as that really got his guts loose.

2Driver

Reaction score
Mines been out for 10 years, all ok here. I think you need to go a little easy on fats and booze for a bit. Just follow dr orders.

The pain of the flare up was drop to the floor debilitating. My fear was that Id be in the back country or out of the country if it happened again so I opted to pull it.

Good luck

satellitemike

Reaction score
Just finished up my follow up w the surgeon, he said I get the silver award as it was long overdue to be removed, maybe 10 years of stone build up, but he had seen worse! I had no adverse signs of anything wrong prior to this past weekend???
I got glued up instead of staples or stitches and it looked good to him. I asked is there anything I should avoid eating or doing and he said my body would let me know ASAP, LOL. Only minor pain at the incisions spots right now.
Food hasn't made me run for the shitter yet, Tue jello, pudding, rice and chicken, Wed yogurt, 1 pop tart, BBQ chicken, mashed taters, and veggies. Today, Mini wheats, carne asada w cheddar, sour cream, and taco sauce. So far so good!!!

Don't enlarge/open image if you have a weak stomach!!!

IMG951879.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Just finished up my follow up w the surgeon, he said I get the silver award as it was long overdue to be removed, maybe 10 years of stone build up, but he had seen worse! I had no adverse signs of anything wrong prior to this past weekend???
I got glued up instead of staples or stitches and it looked good to him. I asked is there anything I should avoid eating or doing and he said my body would let me know ASAP, LOL. Only minor pain at the incisions spots right now.
Food hasn't made me run for the shitter yet, Tue jello, pudding, rice and chicken, Wed yogurt, 1 pop tart, BBQ chicken, mashed taters, and veggies. Today, Mini wheats, carne asada w cheddar, sour cream, and taco sauce. So far so good!!!

View attachment 787487
You had a hackysack, not a gallbladder! Looks kind of like those pre packed rice sides...(insert barfing emoji here)

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Mike, my surgeon suggested that I buy Papaya Enzyme ( never heard of it, but found it in the vitamin section at grocery store and pharmacy ) says for digestive health. Directions say to chew a couple tablets before meals. I don't know how much it helps, but I purchased it and followed directions for a few months, and then sort of forgot to continue taking it. If you have any issues it might be worth a try.

Sunset

Reaction score
I had mine removed 14 years ago.
Betaine Hydrochloric Acid - Gastrointestinal & Digestion

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

View attachment 787487
Looks like oatmeal

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'd wake up some mornings like I had a really bad flu. Couldn't get outta bed.
It was from what I ate the day before. Especially what you eat at lunch.

They'll tell you it affects everyone differently but I had to go on a low fat diet.
Easy on the popcorn butter, forget ice cream or cottage cheese altogether, non fat or 1% milk in the coffee and you are good to go.

In n Out has removed a lot of fat and sodium from it's menu items but I still get a bit queasy in the AM from that.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
E7E04DB3-DA51-4B4D-B1EF-1C4740994177.jpeg

I’m trying the non dairy- vegan from 31.
3 Vegan flavors
Brutally over-sweet though.

satellitemike

Reaction score
I'd wake up some mornings like I had a really bad flu. Couldn't get outta bed.
It was from what I ate the day before. Especially what you eat at lunch.

They'll tell you it affects everyone differently but I had to go on a low fat diet.
Easy on the popcorn butter, forget ice cream or cottage cheese altogether, non fat or 1% milk in the coffee and you are good to go.

In n Out has removed a lot of fat and sodium from it's menu items but I still get a bit queasy in the AM from that.
Sorry to hear that it is not being kind to you!
So far so good for me, I had pizza, sausage and peperoni, last night followed up with a small bowl of ice cream. This morning was a yogurt and banana, lunch was a split of a "Santa Barbara" style cheese burger from the habit w my wife, I did skip the sweet potato fries that she ordered tho!
No ill effects as of yet, knock on wood!!!
Kinda interested how alcohol will be now??? Prolly gonna wait a week or two.