WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Moon palace resort Cancun

welldigger00

Reaction score
Anybody ever been to this one? My Olady an I are thinking of going and seeing Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds in February at this place. Are we gonna get killed from the alcohol, or beheaded. I’d like to know in advance. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I stayed there about 8 years ago. It was pretty nice, but far away from downtown if you want to leave the resort.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Fuck Mexico!!!!

Belize is soooooo much better and the costs are about the same or less.
Just dont know if Dave Mathews is playing there.

I can try and see if he’ll move the concert to there, but I don’t know him very well. He might not respond to my DM on his insta gram page. Good advice tho...

DC-88

Reaction score
We Went with a few families 10 years back when the kids were young. Someone's wife booked it all through Costco travel at a ridiculously cheap all inclusive price with airfare. I grew up on Mexico surf trips and figured it was going to suck , especially being a big resort in hurricane season, but the weather was perfect. It was bottomless everything, and the wristband was good at all their other Palace resorts in the area. We rented Jeeps right there at the Moon Palace for about $70 a day, went to Tulum, PDC, and other stops mixed with stops at their other resorts in the area for free food, beer, and pool breaks. Make sure to get in the gate when the sun goes down before the Vampires come out though;)....it is Mex after all. My kids traded baseball hats for free Lake Lice rentals in the Ocean, and we took a free cruise with free booze to the free off the hook water park that was included with free everything once you got there. It was empty and had huge slides, etc. My buddy and I both podium'd in a huge ping pong tourney they had at the pool one day while the kids swam drinking bottomless virgin Pina Coladas and ordering pizzas and sushi from the bars in the pools. There were shows, music, dancing, and nobody got sick from the food. It Definitely exceeded my expectations, but at this point in life sorta done traveling in Mex with the family... edit- I forgot there was also this crazy Dolphin pool where the kids could ride pairs of dolphins like flipper for a couple hundred bucks or so. It was the only money I spent other than Jeep rental and a few drinks at Tulum = totally worth it.

Last edited:

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Kind of off topic here but the other music thread got me thinking . . . if you like Dave Matthews be sure and check out his version of All Along the Watchtower in Central Park. I never he had it in him to rock like this.

And for what it is worth, I will never risk setting foot back into Mexico, or until we just annex it to pay for all of their citizens who are already migrated here.

welldigger00

Reaction score
We Went with a few families 10 years back when the kids were young. Someone's wife booked it all through Costco travel at a ridiculously cheap all inclusive price with airfare. I grew up on Mexico surf trips and figured it was going to suck , especially being a big resort in hurricane season, but the weather was perfect. It was bottomless everything, and the wristband was good at all their other Palace resorts in the area. We rented Jeeps right there at the Moon Palace for about $70 a day, went to Tulum, PDC, and other stops mixed with stops at their other resorts in the area for free food, beer, and pool breaks. Make sure to get in the gate when the sun goes down before the Vampires come out though;)....it is Mex after all. My kids traded baseball hats for free Lake Lice rentals in the Ocean, and we took a free cruise with free booze to the free off the hook water park that was included with free everything once you got there. It was empty and had huge slides, etc. My buddy and I both podium'd in a huge ping pong tourney they had at the pool one day while the kids swam drinking bottomless virgin Pina Coladas and ordering pizzas and sushi from the bars in the pools. There were shows, music, dancing, and nobody got sick from the food. It Definitely exceeded my expectations, but at this point in life sorta done traveling in Mex with the family... edit- I forgot there was also this crazy Dolphin pool where the kids could ride pairs of dolphins like flipper for a couple hundred bucks or so. It was the only money I spent other than Jeep rental and a few drinks at Tulum = totally worth it.

Thanks for the response. As any resort, it’s a good idea to be back before dark I’m sure. We’re kind of new to the whole world traveling thing. The kids are gone, and we’re almost empty nesters, so we’re able to start doing cool shit. We’ve seen day close to 30 times now, and never out of country.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Kind of off topic here but the other music thread got me thinking . . . if you like Dave Matthews be sure and check out his version of All Along the Watchtower in Central Park. I never he had it in him to rock like this.

And for what it is worth, I will never risk setting foot back into Mexico, or until we just annex it to pay for all of their citizens who are already migrated here.

It’s funny you say that about Mexico. I used to think the same thing, untill I started racing in Baja. I looked up “how safe is moon palace in Cancun” and I got pretty much the same responses all across the board. They were all about the same. Don’t be off resort at night, don’t go out alone, etc. But what I did see is some of the foreigners that typed in about this, also compared the moon palace to how dangerous the US is today. They were concerned about getting shot up in a church, or movie theater, or mall, that kind of thing. I guess it’s a matter of perspective.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
BB5E985A-2120-46DB-9FC5-07532B2005CD.jpeg
C9C463F4-7EBA-461D-AAA3-2CF0B535FB65.jpeg
2E8242AC-3151-4369-B1F2-C434E5BF13A6.jpeg
60E7B974-2D08-45AF-9DF8-463C76395B44.jpeg
Fuck Mexico!!!!

Belize is soooooo much better and the costs are about the same or less.
Just dont know if Dave Mathews is playing there.

Ambergris Caye, Belize. Nothing like a 30 minute golf cart ride on jungle paths to get back from the bars “in town”.

Familyties

Reaction score
We go to the RIU Palace Los Americas just up the coast from the Moon Palace for 6 years in a row. We love it their even though we don't speak Spanish. We never felt uneasy there walking around the streets in the hotel zone. Yes the resorts and the tourist hotel zone is completely safe.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
It’s funny you say that about Mexico. I used to think the same thing, untill I started racing in Baja. I looked up “how safe is moon palace in Cancun” and I got pretty much the same responses all across the board. They were all about the same. Don’t be off resort at night, don’t go out alone, etc. But what I did see is some of the foreigners that typed in about this, also compared the moon palace to how dangerous the US is today. They were concerned about getting shot up in a church, or movie theater, or mall, that kind of thing. I guess it’s a matter of perspective.

Ironically I have formed my opinion based in no small part due to conversations I have had with people who race Baja. My wife was an off-road photojournalist for several years. She has driven several kinds of buggies down there, sometimes over a hundred miles a day. She has traveled with some of the biggest names out there. She has gone in the past, but I think that is over now.
504 murders in Cancun in 2018 almost all were drug cartel members. I know the odds are in my favor but I also know that I cannot expect the authorities to be of any help, and maybe want to fuq me. But that is what works for me.

Wayn-o

Reaction score

same experience here. Its basically like Las Vegas Strip on a beach but going to the other Palace resorts was good. Especially the one on Isla Mujeres.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses fellas. I’ll keep looking into it.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I took my wife to Secrets the Vine in Cancun 2 years ago and loved it! I’m pretty much an “F Mexico” guy, but didn’t feel unsafe at all. Even at night. I’d stay at a resort without kids if I were you, unless you have to stay at Moon Palace to get into the concert.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Just stayed their in June , we stayed at “sunrise” which is one of the 3 resorts connected to each other. Great resort, great food for all inclusive, good staff, safe, no issues at all other than the beach. Every resort for the most part in the Yucatán peninsula have gotten hit with seaweed , it’s bad, currents changed, some sort of algae type seaweed covering the beautiful beaches. Pretty much everywhere in the area, nobody was in the water, but the pools and resort was great.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
It’s called Sargassam, the seaweed type grass

Attachments

• 421D4C53-D821-49F4-A729-B8ABA308B580.png
    421D4C53-D821-49F4-A729-B8ABA308B580.png
    408.5 KB · Views: 68

riverroyal

Reaction score
No mex for my family.
Dave matthews is at kaaboo del mar next month.
Im going there instead

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I like Playa del Carmen.
Cancun, not so much.

We did a two week trip once.
Week 1 was Playa Del Carmen.
Week 2 was Cuba.
It was epic.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
That resort is separate of downtown Cancun, it’s the opposite way of all the Cancun resorts about 5-7 miles away I’m guessing.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
View attachment 789786 View attachment 789787 View attachment 789788 View attachment 789789

Ambergris Caye, Belize. Nothing like a 30 minute golf cart ride on jungle paths to get back from the bars “in town”.
Yes, Ambergris Caye is more stretched out but the Golf Cart ride is part of the adventure and the roads have improved in the last 5 years since we were there last. Placencia Peninsula is a completely different story with a paved 2 lane road down the entire 25 mile peninsula, but it is Closed, just Like Parker. Don't go. :D
And you can drink the water on Placencia too. No way would I try that anywhere in Mexico!

Last edited:
Reactions: BTR

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
I have my own story involving the Mexican Police. Crooks. I'm not going to rewrite the fiasco with them but if I find the story I will post... this was in Rosarito/Tijuana ~ not Cancun ~ although I did spend 4 days at the Moon Place over 10+ years ago ~ it was a blast! Stayed on property except for a one "daytime" excursion into Cancun to check it out. But I am done with Mexico ~ if you can't trust the Police you are FUQed!

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Quintana Roo state – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

Criminal activity and violence, including homicide, remain a primary concern throughout the state. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations and turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Bystanders have been injured or killed in shooting incidents.

There are no restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Quintana Roo state, which include tourist areas in: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya.