WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where to buy a house

guest hs

Reaction score
If you had a chance to move somewhere that's not so hot and not to cold that home prices are not outrageous and there is boating in the area. Where in the US would you move too?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
There are lots of choices in middle America that would work. Tennessee, Oklahoma, Missouri... Would be hard to choose without lining up all the variables. Lake of the Ozarks could fit the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Define acceptable boating. Personally I don't like muddy shorelines, so that makes the Colorado lakes still the best. The best weather in the world is Southern CA, that's why there are almost 20 million people here and housing is outrageous. Not a lot of places with mild temperatures in the rest of the country. It's either Phoenix or Vegas hot or lots of humidity and cold weather. Florida might be on your list if you can stand the humidity, and want to saltwater boat.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Tennessee and Ashland, North Carolina. I have co workers that have retired there and love it. Lake Norman appears pretty big.
I'll stay out west as I work in Alabama yearly and hate humidity, lol.

guest hs

Reaction score
Tennessee and Ashland, North Carolina. I have co workers that have retired there and love it. Lake Norman appears pretty big.
I'll stay out west as I work in Alabama yearly and hate humidity, lol.
Where is Ashland ?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There are lots of choices in middle America that would work. Tennessee, Oklahoma, Missouri... Would be hard to choose without lining up all the variables. Lake of the Ozarks could fit the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gets cold there in the winter / snow / ice etc..

If you could deal with the bugs, I'd look at North Carolina. It has a climate that is fairly close to So Cal. Just more humidity and a little hotter.

RD

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Southern Idaho, Snake river area.

an old classmate lives in idaho and he goes hiking etc... the word "beautiful" is an understatement. its gods country for sure. the pictures he posts are amazing.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Good luck....my opinion , is that you have been spoiled with the Colorado river in yore back yard ...and basically living on the west coast .....boating year round

There are a lot of nice places. That I would like to live in , but there is always other elements of all types that keep most of us here or keep coming here ....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Try making this decision in a few more weeks when August isn’t talking to you. It has been hot.

I think we will eventually retire in the desert (Havasu if I have my way), and get out after the 4th of July...possibly back for Labor Day.

There are about 6 weeks I cant stand living in PHX, and they are usually some combination of the end of July and August.

September is my favorite month for river time.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Colorado City AZ...if you plan on having multiple wives:eek:...

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I saw an ad for Horseshoe Bay in Texas. It looks to be Northwest a ways from Austin. Sure looks nice in the pictures.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I like the cold... sandpoint Idaho. Super neat town. There is a bridge over the lake to get there. It's a resort community so it takes big bucks.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Where it isn’t hot... it gets humid. And those pesky mosquitoes ...

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I wanted to move to Meridian Idaho, but pretty much every so called conservative from Cali has already moved there...they have driven prices up and tried to bring California philosophy with them.

Wife and I have been kicking it around over and over. Probably just buy a house somewhere else and stay in California until the impending doom becomes unbearable.

PlanB

Reaction score
A lot of people naming places that get hot / humid, cold, or both. We have Havasu and SoCal right now (and a condo in North Carolina that is currently a rental), but eventually in might be Havasu and a cool place for the summers. Good luck finding SoCal coastal weather in a place with good boating in another place other than SoCal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you had a chance to move somewhere that's not so hot and not to cold that home prices are not outrageous and there is boating in the area. Where in the US would you move too?

I own a house in Phoenix, and a cabin in the mountain's near Flagstaff. It's very similar to owning a beach house in Newport, and a cabin on lake arrowhead, or a home in Palo Alto, and a cabin in Tahoe.

The key is keeping both places within a 2-4 hour drive during weekend traffic.

Best of both worlds (home prices/lake access), Lake Elsinore/ Canyon Lake area is not all so bad.

Last edited:

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
If you can deal with the humidity southern Missouri Louisiana. Or just move up to the Haulapai mountains above kingman. 10-20 degrees less than havasu. And still close to mead, mohave and havasu.

TCHB

Reaction score
South Florida with a home on the inland waterways.
Havasu if you can handle a lot of pool time and busy weekends. Golfing in the morning and boat in the water till dark.
Huntington Beach if you handle the mild temps and great summers. Housing on the high side.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at TN. I liked everything about TX but the property taxes. The biggest downside to Havi is getting family in and out for holidays or vacations.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Buy a house in the cheapest place possible that’s decent, and make that your “residence”. Buy a few boats and keep them in various places around the country that are nice for a certain period of the year...but a motor home and follow the good weather around the country.

BONER

Reaction score
Try making this decision in a few more weeks when August isn’t talking to you. It has been hot.

I think we will eventually retire in the desert (Havasu if I have my way), and get out after the 4th of July...possibly back for Labor Day.

There are about 6 weeks I cant stand living in PHX, and they are usually some combination of the end of July and August.

September is my favorite month for river time.

Lived in either Tucson or Phoenix my whole Life. I know what hot is and what the Summers are like here. But I'll be damned if the older I get, the hotter it feels. It's not getting hotter, just more uncomfortable.

I shoveled snow once, when I briefly lived in WI. Fuck that noise!

BONER

Reaction score
Personally, I feel there is no "one answer". Need two. Phoenix Weather is TITTS 7-8 months outta the year if you ask me. Would only need a place elsewhere for 2-4 Months.

cofooter

Reaction score
I saw an ad for Horseshoe Bay in Texas. It looks to be Northwest a ways from Austin. Sure looks nice in the pictures.
Isn't it drought, flood, drought, flood, mixed with humid ass temperatures all summer regardless?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
North Carolina - areas that surround Lake Norman. Cornelius, Davidson, Denver NC, Huntersville & Mooresville.
Humid for a few months, gets a dusting of snow in winter, but about as "So Cal" as your gonna get for cheap(er).

grumpy88

Reaction score
How's boulder city nv . Close to mead
Close to the river . Close to major city and airport ?

81Sprint

Reaction score
Utah all day long. Living in Vegas for 15 years i am over it, its not going in a good direction. I'm from near Houston, my whole family still there and its being over run with massive amounts of people, traffic is crazy and house prices climbing like crazy.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Utopia! Good luck
I own a house in Phoenix, and a cabin in the mountain's near Flagstaff. It's very similar to owning a beach house in Newport, and a cabin on lake arrowhead, or a home in Palo Alto, and a cabin in Tahoe.

The key is keeping both places within a 2-4 hour drive during weekend traffic.

Best of both worlds (home prices/lake access), Lake Elsinore/ Canyon Lake area is not all so bad.

This!!

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Utah all day long. Living in Vegas for 15 years i am over it, its not going in a good direction. I'm from near Houston, my whole family still there and its being over run with massive amounts of people, traffic is crazy and house prices climbing like crazy.
Headed to Vegas from CA, May not be the final stop, but it’s a start. Never been a political guy, but I know when it’s time to bail.