WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat registration question

702sandman

Reaction score
I just purchased a hallett from a CA resident and the boat is registered in Arizona. I went to register the boat in Nevada where I live and they said I need to pay tax on the boat because the owner had it in his business name. So my question is can I register the boat in az as a non resident so it’s just a transfer of owner ? It was a private party sale and not a dealer sale so I shouldn’t have to pay tax on it. I do have a Montana LLC so I could just register it up there if worse comes to worse, but I’d rather just register in AZ or Nevada. Thanks for any info

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Sure. Non residents pay about 10 bucks a foot if I remember correctly. No tax on a used boat.

milkmoney

Reaction score
My 21 foot boat is 250 bucks in AZ for out of state .......I think 245 with 5 dollar late.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Arizona to Arizona and you won’t need to pay sales tax. Non resident registration might run you around $335/year. I might recommend registering where it will be used the most (to avoid hassles later).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlanB

Reaction score
It's where the purchase took place. I believe there is tax on private party sales in California.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Looks like you may be paying taxes, good news is a bill of sale can say anything.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Great timing as I was going to ask a very similar question.
I just bought a boat that is registerd in Arizona with a California registered trailer. Any issues or just kee keep it the same?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It's where the purchase took place. I believe there is tax on private party sales in California.

You can buy private party anywhere and register it in AX with no sales tax. I have done it with boats, and RZRs. All were registered in CA, They don't care where the transaction takes place.

Yes CA charges tax on all private party sales in CA.

J 2

Reaction score
Yes CA charges sales tax on every private party sale when you go to register at the DMV, all vehicles. You state how much you paid and they charge you based on that number. If you were to have a insurance claim in the future this might come back at you if you stated a very low number, just saying. Lived in CA my whole life, registered countless cars & boats.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Great timing as I was going to ask a very similar question.
I just bought a boat that is registerd in Arizona with a California registered trailer. Any issues or just kee keep it the same?

No. It is easier keeping everything as is, and cheaper. CA will charge you some small amount for sales tax on the trailer, and if you are a CA resident, the perm trailer registration with is $10 every 5 years.

If you register the trailer in AZ they may want to look at it and verify the VIN, you may have to breing it into the MVD, and pay out of state registration on it.

If buying from a dealer in AZ, the MVD will force you to pay sales tax on $2500 (or more) for the trailer. In CA, you pretty much tell them what the "trailer cost" was on a private party transaction.. $500 :)

PlanB

Reaction score
You can buy private party anywhere and register it in AX with no sales tax. I have done it with boats, and RZRs. All were registered in CA, They don't care where the transaction takes place.

According to my wife, who deals with California sales tax issues for a living as an accountant, if the sale took place in California, you are supposed to pay California sales tax. We have always done Arizona deliveries on boats to avoid this issue.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
According to my wife, who deals with California sales tax issues for a living as an accountant, if the sale took place in California, you are supposed to pay California sales tax. We have always done Arizona deliveries on boats to avoid this issue.

Understood for a NEW purchase, or one from a dealer.

I get that is what the law states but how would you even pay that on a private transaction? Just walk into the DMV and give them a check for sales tax on your bill of sale and say OK! I'm off to register this in AZ!

Plus if you took it to another state that does tax private sales like CA, you'd likely be taxed again. With dealers and new cars this is avoided, I believe you just pay the difference in tax when bringing it here to register.. The only vehicle I have ever brought INTO CA was from Oregon.. so I just paid the CA sales tax and nothing else.

glamis0812

Reaction score

How would anybody know where you took delivery on a private party sale.

robert1050

Reaction score
I wouldn’t reg in Ca. You will get a property tax bill as well. Every year.
Yeah, exactly right, billed by the cointy you live in. No way to avoid it. Someone's gotta pick up the tab for your Governor's free hand- outs.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I live in OR, my boat is registered in AZ as an out of state resident using my OR address. Very easy transaction!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I live in OR, my boat is registered in AZ as an out of state resident using my OR address. Very easy transaction!

It really is. You pay online and your new boat registration comes in a couple days.

PlanB

Reaction score
Understood for a NEW purchase, or one from a dealer.

I get that is what the law states but how would you even pay that on a private transaction? Just walk into the DMV and give them a check for sales tax on your bill of sale and say OK! I'm off to register this in AZ!

Plus if you took it to another state that does tax private sales like CA, you'd likely be taxed again. With dealers and new cars this is avoided, I believe you just pay the difference in tax when bringing it here to register.. The only vehicle I have ever brought INTO CA was from Oregon.. so I just paid the CA sales tax and nothing else.

You most likely would never be caught, but I would claim an AZ delivery to avoid an issue. If California were to somehow find out that you purchased said vehicle in the state, they would come after you for tax. I had this happen years ago on a boat, but I was able to prove Arizona delivery (they then reported me to Arizona though...).

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You most likely would never be caught, but I would claim an AZ delivery to avoid an issue. If California were to somehow find out that you purchased said vehicle in the state, they would come after you for tax. I had this happen years ago on a boat, but I was able to prove Arizona delivery (they then reported me to Arizona though...).

Sure, I get all of that.

In the instance of a private sale, even reporting to AZ would not matter.

PlanB

Reaction score
Sure, I get all of that.

In the instance of a private sale, even reporting to AZ would not matter.

True. I would just cover my bases and claim it was an Arizona purchase. I don't want California coming after me years after a purchase.

MissHavasuCig

Reaction score
How would anybody know where you took delivery on a private party sale.

There’s a form verifying proof of delivery that you can have the seller sign and keep with your records if the sale / delivery location was ever questioned ;)

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
I just did the same, same type of sale. Private party, boat registered in Az. I live in Ca. Called Az game and fish, they gave me the price for non-resident registration and the transfer fee $272.00, and NO sales tax Gavin Useless.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
There’s a form verifying proof of delivery that you can have the seller sign and keep with your records if the sale / delivery location was ever questioned ;)
Yup, there is a form for delivery verification(can't recall #). It was strictly to make sure tax was not owed and that car was not driven on Ca roads illegally. I used to deliver new cars into Az for customers either by truck or driven under my dealer plate. Stop at at notary just inside Az and execute said form. Hand them keys and they then took the chance to drive it unregistered somewhere or had plates from some place already in hand.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Bought a boat from Ilinois that was registered in Wisconson via private party. Registered in AZ as a non-resident (CA). Took about 15 minutes at AZ fish and game in Kingman. Super easy. Registered the trailer at the Needles DMV. Easy as well.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
The joke's on CA, why wouldn't a state want another state's cash? Same with fuel. Drive across border, pay less. Super dumb. NV, MT and AZ all swim in this revenue. Personally I think the Indians should get in the vehicle registration business. They're American and Sovereign from the states. Seems like one of the tribes woulda though of it already. Must be some hoop they can't jump through. Dunno.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to register the new to me boat into my name in Arizona? I bought it private party in Parker last weekend and it is already registered in AZ. Can I do it over the phone or by mail by any chance? Can it been done during a weekend trip to Havasu?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to register the new to me boat into my name in Arizona? I bought it private party in Parker last weekend and it is already registered in AZ. Can I do it over the phone or by mail by any chance? Can it been done during a weekend trip to Havasu?

Gotta go to Kingman to the Dept of Game and Fish. There still might be a satellite office at the MVD in Havasu.. I don't know for sure if they are always open M-F though.

Address in Havasu is
2081 Spawr Circle
Lake Havasu, AZ

You might call and see if there is another way to do it via phone or online, but I don't believe there is.

Kingman is open M-F 8-5.

Last edited:

cheezpanel

Reaction score
No. It is easier keeping everything as is, and cheaper. CA will charge you some small amount for sales tax on the trailer, and if you are a CA resident, the perm trailer registration with is $10 every 5 years.

If you register the trailer in AZ they may want to look at it and verify the VIN, you may have to breing it into the MVD, and pay out of state registration on it.

If buying from a dealer in AZ, the MVD will force you to pay sales tax on $2500 (or more) for the trailer. In CA, you pretty much tell them what the "trailer cost" was on a private party transaction.. $500 :)

This...done it a couple times.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Gotta go to Kingman to the Dept of Game and Fish. There still might be a satellite office at the MVD in Havasu.. I don't know for sure if they are always open M-F though.

Address in Havasu is
2081 Spawr Circle
Lake Havasu, AZ

You might call and see if there is another way to do it via phone or online, but I don't believe there is.

Open M-F 8-5.
In person or mail are the only two I found when I did mine.

I downloaded the form, printed it, filled it out and sent if off with my newly acquired CA title. It was a bit unnerving sending the signed pink in the mail but certified got it there no probs.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
In person or mail are the only two I found when I did mine.

I downloaded the form, printed it, filled it out and sent if off with my newly acquired CA title. It was a bit unnerving sending the signed pink in the mail but certified got it there no probs.

I didn't know you could do it in the mail.

milkmoney

Reaction score

Please explain AX,, new state in the union with cheap registration [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DWC

Reaction score
Guessing the OP won’t have any issues as a Nevada resident. For those that live in California it’s a different story. Where you store and use your boat could cost some extra cash.

B83AE0B8-1D4D-4CD1-AE2E-24D7F033DC28.png
C27E57C0-545B-452D-9091-3DDF7191D230.jpeg

Subadvantage

Reaction score
This...done it a couple times.
Years ago, bought my 1 year old boat in California, which is where I reside. Boat was registered in AZ and I maintained the AZ registration. No sales tax assessed on used boat and AZ non resident registration is $256. I registered the trailer in California even though the boat is kept in Havasu. Minimal sales tax on trailer and permanent trailer registration is about $10.

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
If you still have access to the person you bought it from they’ll have a transfer form they sign off and submit to the Az game & fish dept and there’s a form you can download on the Az game & fish website. Call the Az game and fish dept, they’ll walk you thru the fees and tell you how much to send a check for and wait about 2 weeks and BAM, you’ll be Az. legit to your name.
Seriously, it’s that easy. No CA. sales taxes, nothing!

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
CJ_Donahue, trailers not going to be so easy to register in Ca. CA DMV will want to inspect the trailer before they’ll issue a CA registration (unless you know someone in the CHP that has the inspection cert.) if not, then it’s the same ol shit, tow the rig to the nearest DMV and listen to all the BS the DMV tells you, then pay the sales tax ransom for the trailer and registration fee and you’re good.