WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dive boat fire

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
There is one crew member missing. Reportedly a female, possibly the cook???
Ray

Unless there were two, the cook's brother was on the news saying that his brother survived, most likely because he was up getting breakfast ready at that time of the morning.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Unless there were two, the cook's brother was on the news saying that his brother survived, most likely because he was up getting breakfast ready at that time of the morning.
Who the fuck starts breakfast at 3:30?

rivergames

Reaction score
Who the fuck starts breakfast at 3:30?
Fisherman and divers start to wake at 3-4am to get breakfast/coffee prior to fishing/diving at 4-5AM

I was just on a 1.5 day fish trip a few weeks ago and was up at 3:25am rigging up my gear and getting a coffee

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Fisherman and divers start to wake at 3-4am to get breakfast/coffee prior to fishing/diving at 4-5AM

I was just on a 1.5 day fish trip a few weeks ago and was up at 3:25am rigging up my gear and getting a coffee

Fishing, yes. I can't see divers getting ready to dive before 2 hours before the sun start coming up.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Damn when i learned to dive we use to go out on that boat.

Sad deal all around.:(

Back in '70 I dove off one of their other boats, the Truth.

Last edited:

rivergames

Reaction score
Fishing, yes. I can't see divers getting ready to dive before 2 hours before the sun start coming up.

All depends on their schedule. More fish action typically comes around in the early mornings and after dusk.

I know divers that love sun down diving. They use flash lights to see. My chick is one of them.

=River Perfection=

Reaction score
Although I do it, never been a fan of sleeping in the bunks under deck. I have actually slept in the galley before. All overnight boats I have been on... bunks are all identical to this one, if not tighter. I really would like to know what happened.... not one person was able to make it out from under there.. I know w the ventilation running, the gen's rolling you dont hear much down there.... but no way everyone was sound asleep. Fist smell of smoke I figure someone would have made it off... man, absolutely heartbreaking.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I really would like to know what happened.... not one person was able to make it out from under there.. I know w the ventilation running, the gen's rolling you dont hear much down there.... but no way everyone was sound asleep. Fist smell of smoke I figure someone would have made it off... man, absolutely heartbreaking.

If I had to guess I'd say it was carbon monoxide.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Although I do it, never been a fan of sleeping in the bunks under deck. I have actually slept in the galley before. All overnight boats I have been on... bunks are all identical to this one, if not tighter. I really would like to know what happened.... not one person was able to make it out from under there.. I know w the ventilation running, the gen's rolling you dont hear much down there.... but no way everyone was sound asleep. Fist smell of smoke I figure someone would have made it off... man, absolutely heartbreaking.
What if it was an explosion rather than a fire? I doubt anyone had any kind of warning.

rrrr

Reaction score
This is what one family is dealing with:

“It is with a broken heart … 3 of our daughters were on this boat. As of now, they are still missing. My #1, Evanmichel Solano Quitasol, my #3, NicoleStorm Quitasol and my #4, Angela Rose Quitasol. My girls’ dad Michel Storm Quitasol and stepmom were also on the boat,” Susan Solano Rosas wrote in a Facebook statement Tuesday afternoon. “We are getting the latest information from the media. The authorities do not have much to say to us. Thank you to all of you for your support prayers and good wishes.”

St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Stockton confirmed that it had learned that one of its nurses, Evan Quitasol, was on the boat. Evan’s father, Michael Quitasol, and Fernisa Sison, two former staff members at the hospital, also were confirmed to be on board.

How do they move on? How do they get through today, much less tomorrow? :(

lbhsbz

Reaction score

“It is with a broken heart … 3 of our daughters were on this boat. As of now, they are still missing. My #1, Evanmichel Solano Quitasol, my #3, NicoleStorm Quitasol and my #4, Angela Rose Quitasol. My girls’ dad Michel Storm Quitasol and stepmom were also on the boat,” Susan Solano Rosas wrote in a Facebook statement Tuesday afternoon. “We are getting the latest information from the media. The authorities do not have much to say to us. Thank you to all of you for your support prayers and good wishes.”

St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Stockton confirmed that it had learned that one of its nurses, Evan Quitasol, was on the boat. Evan’s father, Michael Quitasol, and Fernisa Sison, two former staff members at the hospital, also were confirmed to be on board.

I can’t even imagine dealing with that. It would be like going to sleep one night in your cozy bed in your nice house with your family and waking up naked on a pile of dirt surrounded by more dirt for as far as the eye could see, and nothing to kill yourself with. Fucking torture.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Sounds like the boat was all up to speed on safety etc. Just a bad deal

NicPaus

Reaction score
One of the buddies from high school posted pics of him and his crew diving the scene today. No details just shows the area and them in the water. Not sure if all have been found.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
One of my best friend's in-laws owns the "Grape Escape", that was boat that the surviving crew members swam over to. His MIL said she could hardly breathe even on their boat from all the smoke. My buddy had his boat "Knot Yours" anchored up next to his in law's Grape Escape the day before, but started taking on water so he did emergency return to shore and hightailed it out of there. Bad deal all the way around. Godspeed.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

I pray to never need to move forward from that point. I pray they are stronger than I would be. The mind is an incredibly strong thing, as well as incredibly fragile. Most could never understand what they are going through. In a way, that is a good thing:(

cakemoto

Reaction score
One of my best friend's in-laws owns the "Grape Escape", that was boat that the surviving crew members swam over to. His MIL said she could hardly breathe even on their boat from all the smoke. My buddy had his boat "Knot Yours" anchored up next to his in law's Grape Escape the day before, but started taking on water so he did emergency return to shore and hightailed it out of there. Bad deal all the way around. Godspeed.

The news article that I read said the owners were on a different boat and we’re awoken by the crew banging on the side of there boat ?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Just Horrible. I think we are all going to be more aware of being in places susceptible to fire.

We were in Nashville a few years ago, in some old three story bar along Broadway... packed to the rafters with drunks. Certainly no Fire Marshal had paid any attention to it. Everything was built of wood... one way in and one way out. I was glad when we left that place.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Bottom line, the Federally approved and regularly inspected means of escape from the bunk room of the Conception did not work. Because of that 34 lives were lost.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
No shit, for real, I just heard someone on Fox news say they were filing dive bottles with FLAMMABLE GAS. "Nitrox", a highly flammable gas was being used on the deck".... Are they really that stupid???... I have zero knowledge about the mixture that goes into dive tanks, but I'm quite sure it isn't flammable...Some member of the crew at the station should have waved her off saying that....Not everyone in the building is a bimbo...Oxygen will make everything around it very flammable, but by it's self it won't burn...
Am I wrong about Nitrox???
Ray

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
No shit, for real, I just heard someone on Fox news say they were filing dive bottles with FLAMMABLE GAS. "Nitrox", a highly flammable gas was being used on the deck".... Are they really that stupid???... I have zero knowledge about the mixture that goes into dive tanks, but I'm quite sure it isn't flammable...Some member of the crew at the station should have waved her off saying that....Not everyone in the building is a bimbo...Oxygen will make everything around it very flammable, but by it's self it won't burn...
Am I wrong about Nitrox???
Ray
I wonder if they look stuff up, and get wires crossed with "nitrous oxide"? Once again, just an oxidizer. I'd guess they're just grasping at straws, trying to act like they know. I think the only thing known is people couldn't get out. That isn't a spectacular news story. It's a tragedy, but the news seems to like anger over sadness. If you can get people thinking someone is to blame, and not something, a different emotional response is had.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
The news article that I read said the owners were on a different boat and we’re awoken by the crew banging on the side of there boat ?
??? Not sure I'm understanding your post. I just know the owners of Grape Escape are Bob & Shirley H. They were awakened by surviving crew members banging on their boat. I don't know if anyone else was on Grape Escape.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
From post #121...
4. The Risk of Explosion When Using Enriched Air Nitrox

The use of enriched air nitrox involves the manipulation of gasses containing higher percentages than normal air, and some precautions are necessary as oxygen catalyzes explosions.
Pure oxygen is often used when mixing enriched air nitrox. Oxygen is either added directly to the scuba tank or mixed into normal air prior to filling the tank. Any equipment that comes in contact with pure oxygen must be “oxygen clean” – meaning that special lubricants and materials must be used to avoid an explosive reaction. Mixes of enriched air nitrox that contain more than 40% oxygen can only be used with regulators and tanks that are oxygen clean.

So maybe the LADY wasn't that far off afterall... My apologizes to Fox news crew... So just as with Oxy /Acc rigs, clean fittings a must... IMO, this narrows things down a bit... AND yes, the crew could very well be working at 3 am getting stuff ready for the crack of dawn divers...And the kitchen could be firing up that early as well... The surviving crew members know what happened, just how candid they will be is yet to be determined..
Ray

rrrr

Reaction score
Moneypit said:
.... Are they really that stupid???...

Ray

Yes, the media is that stupid.

Photos show the galley and the front of the boat completely involved before the rear, where the tanks were stored. If the fire had started aft of the galley, logic says some people would have survived. Everything points to a galley fire blocking the staircase.

Last edited:

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Moneypit, post: 3456652, member: .... Are they really that stupid???..Ray
Yes, the media is that stupid.[/QUOTE]

Apparently not in this case... Read from #121 about the dive mixture and it's "handling" hazards... IMO, it says a lot about what happened... As I said, the crew knows. What they are willing to say may be a different story. Are the lawyers involved yet?? We know they're circling above like buzzards....
Ray

rrrr

Reaction score
What you heard was baseless speculation.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
From post #121...
4. The Risk of Explosion When Using Enriched Air Nitrox

The use of enriched air nitrox involves the manipulation of gasses containing higher percentages than normal air, and some precautions are necessary as oxygen catalyzes explosions.
Pure oxygen is often used when mixing enriched air nitrox. Oxygen is either added directly to the scuba tank or mixed into normal air prior to filling the tank. Any equipment that comes in contact with pure oxygen must be “oxygen clean” – meaning that special lubricants and materials must be used to avoid an explosive reaction. Mixes of enriched air nitrox that contain more than 40% oxygen can only be used with regulators and tanks that are oxygen clean.

So maybe the LADY wasn't that far off afterall... My apologizes to Fox news crew... So just as with Oxy /Acc rigs, clean fittings a must... IMO, this narrows things down a bit... AND yes, the crew could very well be working at 3 am getting stuff ready for the crack of dawn divers...And the kitchen could be firing up that early as well... The surviving crew members know what happened, just how candid they will be is yet to be determined..
Ray

While technically true, enriched air can be blended this way and higher ratios are still done this way, that is not what was happening on the boat. I know the boat, there are no non emergency oxygen supplies. It uses a membrane system instead of a blending manifold. The reasons are that it is cheaper, easier and generally safer. I also have stated this clearly several posts back. At this point in time pure oxygen is NOT commonly used for this outside of technical diving and commercial operations. Yes there are still probably a few old school shops doing this for true recreational use but they are few and far between at this point and as previously stated....definitively not on this boat. When you are intentionally trying to dump gas on a thread that is on fire, please read all the relevant posts......
Also, any type of rational thought and understanding would show that the fire would have started in or around the engine compartment if this was the case, not up hill (literally in this case) 40' away in the galley. Additionally if someone was up working on stuff at this time (highly unlikely on this boat) they would have noticed an issue before it was a raging inferno. even if they didn't they would not have been able to get to the upper deck and jump off with the crew. Additionally they don't let divers off the boat until it is solidly light. The other piece is that messing with tanks is a noisy affair, it is always, always done in the evening before shutting down for the night. People would be pissed to say the least if the crew was doing something like that in the middle of the night.
Lets try to keep this in the realm of realistic when we are trying to stir the pot.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
There was very early mention of Lithium Ion battery charging taking place in the galley. Perhaps the power source for underwater lights and large cameras. But, there's been absolutely no further mentions. When LI batteries blow it is fast, violent and with intense heat. Not a good combination with any onboard O2.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Television retards...

I dive nitrox... Flammable get the fuck outta here. 32% is a standard mix. Apparently this charter was primarily Stockton/bay area divers..
My home base dive shop "Diver Dans" Santa Clara books dive trips thru truth aquatics. I've always wanted to lobster dive with them... My wife is freaking out now... Fricken bad deal all around...

Sherpa
PADI Advanced open water
Certified Rescue Diver...

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Let’s take a look at what the news media has erroneously reported so far about this tragedy.
1) The passengers had been locked into the bunk space
2) There was no second means of escape from the bunk space, no escape hatch
3) The galley had a propane powered stove

Each and everyone of these critical items were out and out BS. What’s going to be next from the news media. Such a terrible tragedy and these ass holes make it worse with their false reporting, which many believed. While all the time the facts were available right here, but the did not take time to do their research.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
There was very early mention of Lithium Ion battery charging taking place in the galley. Perhaps the power source for underwater lights and large cameras. But, there's been absolutely no further mentions. When LI batteries blow it is fast, violent and with intense heat. Not a good combination with any onboard O2.
This is one of the first realistic scenarios that's been tossed out. Many cameras, lights computers and even heated vests use lithium batteries. There are always a ton of them on adventures like this. Fast and violent is a good description of them when things go wrong. This would also explain how it got so big so fast. Until the coastguard issues an official statement we won't know.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
What you heard was baseless speculation.
I said it was, IMO, wrong from the news and then someone posted up post #121 saying the mixture is dangerous.. I'm not speculating anything beyond the official looking info @ 121... I'm now seeing someone saying the engine room as the origin...That would have more fire suppression features than anywhere.. The crew that escaped didn't wake and get out from the bunk area. It has already been said the Captain and crews bunks were top side..
rrrr, it's all baseless speculation at this point. Some that are familiar with this boat are speculating nothing aboard has changed since they were last aboard. Terrible, terrible situation all around... It will go down in west coast history....
Ray
PS: I'm done here until the pros figure out what happened...

Last edited:

cakemoto

Reaction score
??? Not sure I'm understanding your post. I just know the owners of Grape Escape are Bob & Shirley H. They were awakened by surviving crew members banging on their boat. I don't know if anyone else was on Grape Escape.
So bob and Shirley are the dive boat owners?

cakemoto

Reaction score
Thats what the dive boat owner-said in the interview....he and his wife (as in another boat) we awoke by people banging on the side of there boat. There is a link to that article in this thread

Wheeler

Reaction score

Today Roy Hauser is retired and Glen Fritzler is the owner and operator. Glen began his life with Truth Aquatics at age 12 with Roy and started his partnership in 1979. He still enjoys running dive trips and scuba diving the Channel Islands.

https://www.truthaquatics.com/about/

FlatNv

Reaction score
Thats what the dive boat owner-said in the interview....he and his wife (as in another boat) we awoke by people banging on the side of there boat. There is a link to that article in this thread

not owners ..

such a tragedy R.I.P to all

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Feds grill captain of doomed California boat Conception
By Kenneth Garger
September 4, 2019 | 9:21pm

Enlarge Image
gettyimages-1165761091.jpg

The 75-foot Conception, based in Santa Barbara Harbor, burns after catching fire.Getty Images
Federal investigators on Wednesday grilled the captain, surviving crew members and the owner of the scuba diving boat that caught fire and sank off of Southern California, killing 34 people.

Homendy refused to disclose any details from the interviews.

The captain and four crew members on deck were the only ones to survive when the 75-foot vessel — called the Conception — went under during a three-day diving excursion.

Everybody else on board was asleep below deck and trapped when the blaze broke out, officials said.

Crew members were also given alcohol and drug tests, said Homendy. The alcohol tests results came back negative, while the drug test results are still pending.

The doomed boat’s fire protection systems will also be checked, officials said.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-4_21-11-44.gif
    upload_2019-9-4_21-11-44.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 117

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Just Horrible. I think we are all going to be more aware of being in places susceptible to fire.

We were in Nashville a few years ago, in some old three story bar along Broadway... packed to the rafters with drunks. Certainly no Fire Marshal had paid any attention to it. Everything was built of wood... one way in and one way out. I was glad when we left that place.

there are a few fire traps on broadway for sure. Walking up to the roof of one bar i got a little sketched out unitl i realized i could jump to the bar next door.

4Waters

Reaction score

When I check into a hotel I locate the 2 closest stairwells/fire escapes and count how many doors I pass to get the them that way if I have to crawl as a result of smoke I know how far to go by counting the doors.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
This hits close to home. What a tragedy indeed and may the unfortunate rest in piece.

Never dove with this outfit but did just hear from my brother that his friend and co-worker was on this very boat. He was pretty shook and it was saddening to hear his recent memories turn into his last memories of the diver. Did my best to provide console through some storytelling of my own because, we’ll, that’s arguably the best part of a good dive trip but I’m not sure it helped.

This is one of those stories that’ll ripple through the dive community for a long time and comes with a lesson that nobody wants to learn this way.

How many other operations do you think have already double and even triple checked their emergency egress plans by now?

- Former underwater cat hearder
- SSI Master Diver

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This hits close to home. What a tragedy indeed and may the unfortunate rest in piece.

Never dove with this outfit but did just hear from my brother that his friend and co-worker was on this very boat. He was pretty shook and it was saddening to hear his recent memories turn into his last memories of the diver. Did my best to provide console through some storytelling of my own because, we’ll, that’s arguably the best part of a good dive trip but I’m not sure it helped.

This is one of those stories that’ll ripple through the dive community for a long time and comes with a lesson that nobody wants to learn this way.

How many other operations do you think have already double and even triple checked their emergency egress plans by now?

- Former underwater cat hearder
- SSI Master Diver
I would think all other operations have been doing all their checks and re-checks. I'd think this incident opened a lot of eyes, even the most lax captain is wide awake now. It's been said as a captain you should feel responsible for those on board, but they may not think of disastrous events. This incident has hit the news internationally. Perhaps these lost lives may in some way save others.

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm guessing this tragic event is going to have a very adverse impact on multi-day diving and fishing operations all up and down the coast, at least initially.
I know when we had our sportsfisher and when I fished on other friend's boats, fire was always at the top of my "Concern" list.

Blownrvr

Reaction score
I'm guessing this tragic event is going to have a very adverse impact on multi-day diving and fishing operations all up and down the coast, at least initially.
I know when we had our sportsfisher and when I fished on other friend's boats, fire was always at the top of my "Concern" list.
yea, i imagine fuel is located toward the bottom of the boat so i would love to learn what actually happened. crazy! And yes it will be bad for all related business.

=River Perfection=

Reaction score
It is very likely the fire started from battery charging failure... underwater light/camera/sea scooter/laptop/ect. Most likely in the galley/salon where it had time to grow rapidly and unnoticed with tons of things to quickly burn in there. Overhead hatch will lead to back of galley/salon, stairs lead to front of galley/salon. Ventelation was running, which was most likley pumping fumes and black smoke into bunk are. It is just all bad. If u cant get out the stairwell due to fire, to locate and fight to get out the overhead in the dark is almost impossible given the amount of people down there, which also leads into the fire.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It is very likely the fire started from battery charging failure... underwater light/camera/sea scooter/laptop/ect. Most likely in the galley/salon where it had time to grow rapidly and unnoticed with tons of things to quickly burn in there. Overhead hatch will lead to back of galley/salon, stairs lead to front of galley/salon. Ventelation was running, which was most likley pumping fumes and black smoke into bunk are. It is just all bad. If u cant get out the stairwell due to fire, to locate and fight to get out the overhead in the dark is almost impossible given the amount of people down there, which also leads into the fire.

The thing that impresses me the most about RDP, are the people and the vast knowledge base. I knew nothing of this boat before, and now I have seen pics and layouts, and learned about the fuels used, and equipment used as well.