WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Steel Beam

braindead

Reaction score
i want to put a steal beam in the garage for lifting engines and anything else, but not sure what size I need. I've searched the web, but cannot find anything that allows me to punch in the dimensions I'm working with to get an answer, without adding in numbers for deflection and static load crap that I have no idea what it is. All the forums I've read where somebody suggests a certain size beam, has a safety Steve pop up and totally negate the previous persons recommendations because his safety factor wasn't high enough for the load he's lifting.

Specs
I beam that will accept a chain hoist trolley
15' span
And can be up to 8" high
Would like to have a 2000lbs lifting capacity.

Anybody got any leads for me?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm looking at the same issue. The 15ft span is a bit of an issue. If you have the vertical clearance, I had looked into doing a truss setup to help support the middle. I'm sure there is an engineer type here that can help. I've been meaning to ask for my shop project:rolleyes:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Do you want to have the lift point in a trolley or static? It's a pretty simple calc, just need to know the largest moment.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I do this
It’s chained up till I slip in the 2 legs
It heavy so I leave it up there .
Thick wall 3” tube
Pulled manny of motors out
Just make it high for boat engines

Attachments

• C2FC524B-777A-4B2D-BDB3-43CAC1347E73.jpeg
    C2FC524B-777A-4B2D-BDB3-43CAC1347E73.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 374

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If you only have 8” clearance then 8” WF I beam either 18 or 21lbs per foot are your options. These have less than 6” flanges that your typical trolley ride on.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I just checked mine and it's 8" tall 4" wide spanning just shy of 15' being held up 11' high by what looks like 4.5" o.d. steel pipe. I have lifted everthing with . Boats, motors , outboards .

MotiV8

Reaction score
i want to put a steal beam in the garage for lifting engines and anything else, but not sure what size I need. I've searched the web, but cannot find anything that allows me to punch in the dimensions I'm working with to get an answer, without adding in numbers for deflection and static load crap that I have no idea what it is. All the forums I've read where somebody suggests a certain size beam, has a safety Steve pop up and totally negate the previous persons recommendations because his safety factor wasn't high enough for the load he's lifting.

Specs
15' span
And can be up to 8" high

I designed a roll around crane for 4,000 lbs and used a S8"x18.4 narrow flange beam, but the span is only 10'. You would probably be okay with that beam @ 15' if you were to maintain 2k lbs max. The other crane I designed was for about a 14' span (same load) and I used a S8x23. Either of those beams would work fine for you, but I would use the S8x23 for safety's sake. How are you planning on supporting the beam? That could be more important than the beam itself given your relatively low load.

As a side note, I like narrow flange beams for horizontal beams as the wide flange beams cost more and you don't get much strength for the extra price. Just my $.02.

rrrr

Reaction score
This came up before but I had this load calc and engineered. I ran two beams and my gap is 22.

View attachment 796650

Wow. Your shop makes me itch for some runs on one of those, no, all of those stand-ups. They are beckoning me.

It's too bad I'm an old broken down fugger, instead of a fit and strong rider that could take on a challenge. Those days are long gone. :D

Jeezus, this sounds like one of those "Gather around the tree stump, children, and I'll tell you a story of how I used to ride in twenty foot wave sets that captured the best riders around and then spit out their board shorts, the only thing that remained after the sea swallowed them whole." :D :D

Reactions: SJP

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
So with just an I-beam with a span of 15' with proper support on both ends and maybe stabilizing in the center 4x6 is plenty @ 2k lbs. providing the trolly is capable. That is just a 1 ton hoist. It doesn't hurt to put gussets at the uprights
If you want it to be a jib you are going to have to step up to a 5X8 or 5X10. What you use for a Mount/post is another question.
I've made, installed, moved, torn down and reconfigured many.

rrrr

Reaction score

Specs
15' span
And can be up to 8" high

Ask @Headless hula. He built a shop trolley hoist with the same specs you listed.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Ask @Headless hula. He built a shop trolley hoist with the same specs you listed.
I recieved lots of good info, and even more CAUTIONARY advice.

I ended up using a used I beam that was undersized from a local scrap yard. It's what was convenient and damn near free. (Had less than $100 in the whole deal. )

If I would have had customers or the general public anywhere near the damn thing, I would have followed the more cautious advice given. However, that wasnt the case, and I used what was "layin around" worked fine for my purposes.
20180604_224339.jpg

Here's a 5.7 and a 4.3 (both with all the marine dress) dangling precariously side by side.

Individual results may vary, and don't try this at home. :eek::D

Old Texan

Reaction score
Note to all. The span is a determining factor in holding the load safely at mid span. But also always check the lower flange loading per pair of trolley/crane wheels. This is often overlooked even by engineers. Steel books give this number and it should be considered. Hoist and trolley data includes this number in engineered drawings.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I just gave 12 -4” x 16”+20’ away the other day on my site , new steel

norcalLmo

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents: I went to Harbor Freight - instead of using their 7Ft I-beam I went to an Iron Yard and bought a 12ft beam and welded some plates that matched the uprights on the HF stands - works great - adjustable - lock-out saftey and for under $800 bucks - you can lower the cross beam and slide it into your garage - it's on wheels as well
Just a thought - using existing wood beams in a garage = 911 calls - just sayin LOL!

photo (3).JPG

braindead

Reaction score
I designed a roll around crane for 4,000 lbs and used a S8"x18.4 narrow flange beam, but the span is only 10'. You would probably be okay with that beam @ 15' if you were to maintain 2k lbs max. The other crane I designed was for about a 14' span (same load) and I used a S8x23. Either of those beams would work fine for you, but I would use the S8x23 for safety's sake. How are you planning on supporting the beam? That could be more important than the beam itself given your relatively low load.

As a side note, I like narrow flange beams for horizontal beams as the wide flange beams cost more and you don't get much strength for the extra price. Just my $.02.

Good to know about the narrow flange beams. Don't need it to be mobile at the moment, so we're putting it up on top of the garage walls with 4x6 posts underneath each side and welding some plate steel to each side of the beam to be able to bolt it to the 4x6 posts. The garage is a giant shear wall on all 4 sides so lateral movement won't be an issue.

So with just an I-beam with a span of 15' with proper support on both ends and maybe stabilizing in the center 4x6 is plenty @ 2k lbs. providing the trolly is capable. That is just a 1 ton hoist. It doesn't hurt to put gussets at the uprights
If you want it to be a jib you are going to have to step up to a 5X8 or 5X10. What you use for a Mount/post is another question.
I've made, installed, moved, torn down and reconfigured many.

Thanks, beams sitting On top of a wall Sitting on 4x6 posts with plates welded to attach to the posts.

That's exactly what I was lookin for, thanks!
Just my 2 cents: I went to Harbor Freight - instead of using their 7Ft I-beam I went to an Iron Yard and bought a 12ft beam and welded some plates that matched the uprights on the HF stands - works great - adjustable - lock-out saftey and for under $800 bucks - you can lower the cross beam and slide it into your garage - it's on wheels as well
Just a thought - using existing wood beams in a garage = 911 calls - just sayin LOL!

View attachment 796767

That's a dam good idea, I'll have to look into that. Thought those only held 1000 lbs tho?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
A suggestion. build 2 A frames, like a swingset for the beam. Get a set of industrial casters from grainger. Plate on the bottom of each A withwheels so you can roll it around for easier use.
Yes, cost a little more but way easier to use.

Old Texan

Reaction score
A suggestion. build 2 A frames, like a swingset for the beam. Get a set of industrial casters from grainger. Plate on the bottom of each A withwheels so you can roll it around for easier use.
There are a number of material handling outlets that one can buy Gantry cranes same cost and cheaper than going this route. I sold this stuff for 35 years and there are many out there which are built very well for light duty usage.

Since you mentioned Grainger, they have them in their catalog also. Cost is a bit higher but they come complete with casters matching capacity.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...&ved=0ahUKEwj-rsijz8fkAhUMIKwKHcQfBLMQ4dUDCAc

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I scored this set up from a friend of a friend about 10 years ago or so. If anyone new Lloyd of Lloyds crank grinding in Bellflower, this hoist was his until he retired. I have 10' ceilings in the garage and this was 8' so I mounted on a 2' x 2' concrete pad and tied the top to a joist. vertical beam is 6x6 I beam and horizontal is 6x3 and is 9' long. I love the swivel as I can pull a motor and just swing it around and not have to move anything. the horizontal beam just brushes the dust cover on the lights with an engine hanging on it or not, I was amazed at how rigid it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 170

Old Texan

Reaction score
I scored this set up from a friend of a friend about 10 years ago or so. If anyone new Lloyd of Lloyds crank grinding in Bellflower, this hoist was his until he retired. I have 10' ceilings in the garage and this was 8' so I mounted on a 2' x 2' concrete pad and tied the top to a joist. vertical beam is 6x6 I beam and horizontal is 6x3 and is 9' long. I love the swivel as I can pull a motor and just swing it around and not have to move anything. the horizontal beam just brushes the dust cover on the lights with an engine hanging on it or not, I was amazed at how rigid it is.
It's called a compression braced jib crane.....

Boat211

Reaction score
27CFE560-1F35-48D1-8BD3-3238365764A2.jpeg
2C2E3BDF-4693-4505-9F07-37C6EDB1ADBC.jpeg
48D7C944-A642-4D9A-BEEA-9C54E5750F4A.jpeg
6E3815F2-5357-4D20-A010-BA84521A10EB.jpeg
CC7997CC-952A-49D1-8241-795AD91364A8.jpeg
Here is my setup. My biggest complaint is that the ceiling height is too low for many applications. But all in all, I have used the heck out of it. It spans 14’ and is supported in the walls by 4x6 post on each end. I also have 2 4x4 cut to length for real heavy lifts. I once had a Bridgeport mill hanging from it.

braindead

Reaction score
View attachment 798916 View attachment 798917 View attachment 798918 View attachment 798919 View attachment 798920 Here is my setup. My biggest complaint is that the ceiling height is too low for many applications. But all in all, I have used the heck out of it. It spans 14’ and is supported in the walls by 4x6 post on each end. I also have 2 4x4 cut to length for real heavy lifts. I once had a Bridgeport mill hanging from it.

Now that's just showing off, but I like it!

Thanks for the dimensions, I think we're gonna go a little overkill and get an 8". Only wish we would of put it in when we built it, woulda been a lot easier!

braindead

Reaction score

That's freakin cool! Can I have it:D

braindead

Reaction score

Thought about that, but don't have the room to store that giant thing for as little as we're going to use it

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
View attachment 798916 View attachment 798917 View attachment 798918 View attachment 798919 View attachment 798920 Here is my setup. My biggest complaint is that the ceiling height is too low for many applications. But all in all, I have used the heck out of it. It spans 14’ and is supported in the walls by 4x6 post on each end. I also have 2 4x4 cut to length for real heavy lifts. I once had a Bridgeport mill hanging from it.

Nice that is so cleanly done. I assume tied to the alls of the structure it will help keep it from racking. :thumbup:

Boat211

Reaction score
Nice that is so cleanly done. I assume tied to the alls of the structure it will help keep it from racking. :thumbup:
So far so good. Been up now for about 17 years. It doesn’t get used often but real handy when you need it.