WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where were you On 9/11/01?

Kfabe

Reaction score
Where were you on 9/11/01? I’m sure that there are some interesting stories to be heard from RDP members.

I woke up in my college dorm and turned on my computer to AOL and saw a picture of the first plane crashing into the World Trade Center and initially thought it was a movie poster for an upcoming film. Little did I know that this moment in time would change everything.

Reactions: DWC

rvrrun

Reaction score
I had just come back from my honeymoon, I was retired at that time and was laying in bed watching the news as my wife was getting ready for work.

Reactions: DLC

Gelcoater

Reaction score
first plane crashing into the World Trade Center and initially thought it was a movie poster for an upcoming film.
We were waking up with a bit of a hangover after celebrating our 6th anniversary.
I wanted see the weather, turned on the tv and it was some movie with a plane crashing into a building.
Changed the channel.
Same movie. Wtf??
And on the 3rd channel, had to surrender to the fact it was no movie.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I was working for a group that specialized in robotics/physical security (like automated gun systems).

We were having a big meeting that day with some big shots...2 of which worked in the twin towers. I had no clue the severity of the event in the first hour or two.

Riley1

Reaction score
I remember seeing the effects purge first plane on the TV in my house just before going to school. Then seeing the towers collapse on TV at school. Visited with my mom at work around 1pm and not seeing or hearing any planes for the first time ever.

JD D05

Reaction score
College dorm room. Ran to the school to watch because my parents flew out of Boston that morning. FBI actually thought they were on a targeted plane. Before the flight 3 dudes front middle and back of the plane started chanting Arabic shit. My dad and his buddy got up and stood next to them and stared at them.

HST4ME

Reaction score
I was out for a morning burn on the Au Sable River...absolute picture perfect early fall Michigan morning...until I got back to the ramp and saddled up. In the end of it it all 19 friends have been lost. Fuck the middle east and all the perpetrators that led us there.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Lodi CA.

Got up to fly to work in Alaska.
Roomate called from her job and said turn the news on a Cessna hit a building.
I turned it on and saw the first tower collapse.
I thought they were making a movie or something. I could not believe it.

PlanB

Reaction score
Got a call at home to turn on the TV (after the first tower was hit). After that I went into work and watched the events unfold from there.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
99th ave and Bell Road on my way to work when the news broke American Airlines flight 11 hit the north tower. I remember like it was yesterday and many events of the days that followed. To this day I can not think of it without multiple tears falling from my face. Next summer my family is going to Cooperstown for my sons baseball tournament. I promised my kids that we will go to the memorial. I will be honest and say I don’t want to go, but feel it’s extremely important for my kids to see and understand what those cowards did to us. I believe I will leave there even more upset and angry than I still am.... This American will NEVER FORGET!!!

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I am flying tomorrow...not normally anxious about it, but am now.

Icky

Reaction score
I was in apprenticeship school, teacher came in all distraught. Watched it live on TV

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
With the time difference between Hawaii and East Coast I was asleep. We were woken up by my in-laws around 4am. We watched all unfold and decided to take our 6 year old son to school. We figured since he was in private school they would be best to know how to deal with the topic.

Reactions: TPC

Jetboatjosh

Reaction score
I was getting ready for school I was on the 4th grade. staying at my grandmas house my parents were out of town. The teachers at school didn't know what to do it was wired even at such a young age I remember being so mad and couldn't believe something like that could happen.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Living in San Clemente. It happened on a Tuesday. I was in 7th grade. Walked into parents room before going to school. Didn't know what was going on but dad gave me a hug and said we would be okay over here. I think he meant West Coast. School was half empty and pretty much watch the news all day.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I was in Miami setting up equipment for a Wheel of Fortune remote, i had just hooked up the tv in the production office when the first plane hit. remember it like it was yesterday

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Watched the whole thing at work on the lunchroom TV.
ABC's Peter Jennings stubbornly insisting it was an "Air Traffic Control Problem."
We turned down the TV volume out of common sense and reason, it was obvious it was terrorists. We all figured that from the start and listened to the audio of Howard Stern and watched it play out on TV.
Probably Sterns best moments in radio but never really remembered by anyone.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Was in the shower when my wife said to come check out the TV. Gives me chills thinking about it.. When the first plane hit we figured it was a mistake, a really F’g big one, but a mistake. When the second one hit we yelled oh shit a lot and then went silent. What a morning.
- If you haven’t been on the 9/11 tour in NY you really should. Great memorial. Very well done.
- We had a VP sneak away and take his team from So Cal to Denver for a football game. When it hit and he couldn’t get back he was fired immediately for lying.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
I was home getting ready to visit my wife in the hospital early am. My HR Manager called me and said turn on the news and couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Was working at Magic boats
Went home to bring in a TV so all the employees could watch the news

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
I was in the Woodlands TX, worked that night in the control center downtown Houston. Was asleep for a for a short time and started receiving calls and texts from friends and family back home in KC. Turned on the news at our apartment and saw the second tower strike and then watched as both of them collapsed . I was scheduled to work that night downtown and as a company we decided to move our control center from downtown Houston to a off site location in Spring. I lived near intercontinental and it was very quiet. Felt uneasy for a few weeks going up our elevator to the 33rd floor of our building downtown. Hard to believe it happened that long ago but will always be ingrained in our brains. Just like the Challenger disaster. 5th grade when that happened. Exactly like my parents when JFK was killed.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was at my Irvine house and I was getting ready for work with the tv on. They called me and told me to come to work which was right next door to John wayne airport.

I did but needless to say nobody got anything done that day.

I remember all of the armed guards at Parker Hannifin and my other aerospace clients for a long time.

2Driver

Reaction score
My kid was 5 months old, he's now a Freshman in College

I was getting ready to leave on a biz trip to Canada.

After they hit the first tower I called the guy I was flying with and said we aren't going anywhere. At the time he thought I was exaggerating the situation.

Singleton

Reaction score
Woke up in my apartment in Hermosa Beach to KROC reporting it. Turned on TV in shock and watched the second plane hit :(
Had to get up and go to Panasonic Digital in OC for an external financial fraud audit. Worked until 9pm, the drive home after work was the most surreal and spooky drive.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I was off with a job related injury. Watched it live on TV at home and was in a state of shock. I wanted be there in a strange kind of way. I read a report a while back that stated that even though there was an enormous loss of life, the first responders, Fire, Police and Port Authority, were able to rescue 99% of the people in the Twin Towers and surrounding areas. A statistic not often talked about. Let's also not forget those that took over the plane and crashed it into field. So tomorrow, I ask that we not only NEVER FORGET, but honor those that responded for their accomplishments that day. RIP My Brothers.

Nordie

Reaction score
I remember waking up for school (junior in high school), my dad yelled down the hallway that I needed to see the news. I walked into the living room just in the nick of time to see the second plane hit on the news. I went to school that day, but we did absolutely nothing, certain classes we would watch the news, and others we would listen to the news. No one gave a shit about curriculum that day. I'll never forget.

Side note, myself and my best friend from high school have the most fucked up birthdays. He is 9/11 and I am 12/7

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If you ever visit the Twin Towers ground zero site, nearby is O’Haras an Irish NYC Fireman's hangout Pub. Just ask the Docents they'll direct you.
Absofuckinlutely visit that bar. Ask to see the scrapbook.
20287122_10150883904764969_1942667909666067485_o.jpg

Last edited:

sgtskidmark

Reaction score
I was driving to work listening to KTAR, got to work and the boss and I watched the second plane hit the tower, unreal morning
everything seemed silent, no phone calls no noise, just surreal. I will never forget that day.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Headed to work on the 605 to long beach. I was moving a lady in a condo complex.. I remember everyone was out of their residences just looking around in shock. I didnt even start doing the job for a few hours at least as we were just glued to the customers tv in disbelief..

charred1

Reaction score
Was at the firehouse and we just returned from a early morning call. I started to make a pot of coffee and my captain told everyone to report to the bullpen. We see one of the Towers is on Fire and news saying small plane hit it. Not long after, the second plane comes into view on the live news feed. We were the off going shift, but we all stayed watching in disbelief as the Towers fell.

81Sprint

Reaction score
I was doing a job out of town and was sitting in my jobsite trailer in Lafeyette Louisiana, was doing the electrical on a what was then one of the first Cingular wireless call centers. Superintendent for the job came in my trailer and said you gotta come look at this, he had a TV in his trailer. I went and watched the second plane hit. I shut the job down for my guys and sent them home and went back to my apartment and was glued to the TV for the rest of the day. Remember it like it was yesterday and it still makes me mad. I picked up a newspaper the next day because the headline was unforgettable, and i still have it.
IMG_0115.jpg

Last edited:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I was a carpenter apprentice acting as a foreman running a crew of 12 men.

It was a wood framed building, and none of the guys had ever framed one before.

I remember standing in the superintendents trailer and hearing about the news. He said send everyone home.

We went and watched the news coverage from his house...

I vividly remember him saying...

"That sonofabitch bin laden"....

I was at home before noon......

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Bout 0530 called in sick... was going water skiing with a buddy... Obviously didn't make it....

Responed to the L.A. Federal Building.... 12 on 12 off for several weeks... What a chilling atmosphere...

Yet the Candle vigils on the Fed Building grounds and the drivers sounding their horns as they drove by made my eyes water...

A sincerely incredible display of patriotism from all sorts of folks

I'm afraid it will take another catastrophic event to bring our citizens together like that again

shock22

Reaction score
Getting ready for an project in Monterey watched the first and second plane hit knew immediately what was happening. Job was shut down that day, my wife was supposed to fly out the next day for my birthday never happened. Remember talking to my wife at that time she worked two blocks from Las Vegas airport she was amazed at the silence with all flights grounded. Sill have an copy of newspaper that day

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Bout 0530 called in sick... was going water skiing with a buddy... Obviously didn't make it....

Responed to the L.A. Federal Building.... 12 on 12 off for several weeks... What a chilling atmosphere...

Yet the Candle vigils on the Fed Building grounds and the drivers sounding their horns as they drove by made my eyes water...

A sincerely incredible display of patriotism from all sorts of folks

I'm afraid it will take another catastrophic event to bring our citizens together like that again
Yea.... the overthrowing of Islam on american soil.....

Yea boys. Even here in the heartland.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I was working in an empty section of Todd Road Ventura County jail.. All of a sudden about 8 Deputies came rushing in, I though they had made a mistake and were shacking down an un occupied section... They had the guy in the booth turn on the dayroom TV and we watched the second plane hit while sitting around on the tables.. Then the buildings collapsed.. Some of the Deputies left to do their jobs else where in the jail..Others were in and out of the section with the TV on.... I had to leave and watched at a bar in Saticoy for a while...
Ray

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I flew out of there a few days after.
There was like 8 people on the whole plane to Seattle.
I think 4 of them were marshals.
I was taking my dad and then wife there as they were going to Hawaii. We parked carried every thing to the gate and they locked to doors behind us

Dalton

Reaction score
I was in 2nd grade in South Pasadena, every channel had news on it, even the crappy ones

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
My former co-worker was on Flight 11, the first plane to hit the Towers. RIP Jeff...

Rev. Mladenik died on Tuesday when American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston to Los Angeles, which he was on, was hijacked and crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City.

The father of four, Rev. Mladenik was raised in Lyons and married on St. Patrick's Day in 1979 to his wife, Sue. Their first child, Kelly, was born a year later. Other children include Joshua, 18, Daniel, 16 and Grace, 4, who Mladenik and his wife adopted from China. Christ Church of Oak Brook's senior pastor Rev. Daniel Meyer said the couple planned to adopt another girl from China soon.

Rev. Mladenik worked at Cahners Publishing in Des Plaines for four years. When Cahners bought eLogic, a Web site development firm based in the Los Angeles area, his bosses asked him to become interim president of the new subsidiary.

nintchdbpict000002468273.jpg

nameisbond

Reaction score
I was living in Toronto. My Dad was visiting and I took him to the airport for his flight home. My car needed a smog check and safety inspection. Was going to the place, listening to Howard Stern. First plane hit and Stern said it was a small plane. Saw the rest at the repair shop on their TV. My dad called my cell and said his plane was turning around. All airspace was now closed. Knew it was some serious shit when he told me that. Until he phoned, it was scary having him on a plane at the time.

Reaction score
Airline pilot. Landed late on the night of 9/10 after a normal/routine day. Walked into the house at 1am. Was up at 6am helping my wife with our newborn twins and watched it unfold on TV. Went back to work on the first day back up flying, working with a fellow USAFR pilot. Commercial flying now felt like wartime flying because on some level it was. Had 7 passengers on my first flight. Never Forget.

Last edited:

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Setting forms to pour a slab. I remember listening to it from the truck radio of my a-hole boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seanroberts

Reaction score
I was coming home after work 12hrs with my K-9, we were bomb squad. I thought it was a joke on the radio. Then it was confirmed it wasn’t. I got about 30min of sleep then back out doing sweeps. No days off for a long time. I would gladly do it all again. I still thank all the 1st responders and all my K-9’s through the years.

RodnJen

Reaction score
At a conference in Savanna GA. My girlfriend and I, now wife, got one of the last SUV’s at the airport and headed west. Our last stop was Havasu for a night with my Dad and Stepmom, then home.

Saw a lot of the country that trip. Tried to make the best of a horrible situation.

Husqy510

Reaction score
I was in college and my dad called me to tell me we were at war. Something I'll never forget. Now I'm a fire captain and think about it often. I wonder what I'd tell my guys in that situation knowing what I know now.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Freshman year of high school

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk