WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Baddest MOFO...Throwback edition

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
So I was talking to one of my long time clients a couple weeks back and he tells me he needs to sell his truck. Being a car/Truck guy we start chatting and he says its been in his family since new. Dad who passed about 8 years back and left the truck to his son had the truck built back in 1995 by a company called Traders in So cal.

When I heard that i became more interested and asked that he send me a couple pictures.

I had major flash backs when the pictures hit my email box. This thing is clean and is a total time capsule. You can tell it was loved as it came with a folder full of receipts as well as a cover.

Wife dropped me off at Long Beach airport at 5:45am Saturday and I took a jet blue flight to Sacramento where he met me at the airport.

Quick walk around and we traded the title for some cash so I could get on the road for the 450 mile trip. I have bought a bunch of cars and driven them home but usually I have a chase truck and some tools. Being on a flight I was pretty limited with what I could bring but decided to go for it after thumbing through the maintenance records...haha

1.5 tanks of gas later I was able to make it home before 4pm. This thing cruises like a couch down the road at 80.

This thing is crazy original down to the gaylord bed cover and 15" budniks. It's freaking hilarious and I'm not sure what I should do with it.

Do I sell it or do I clean her up and thrown in a turbo LS and make it the ultimate throw back River sleeper.
95f.jpg
95s.jpg
95r.jpg
95ff.jpg
IMG_5115.jpg
IMG_5116.jpg

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Nice. I had Trader's do all the work on my S10 back in the day. I had the same roll pan and shaved tail that that thing has. Let me know if you want to throw some Cerullo's in the cab. Make it all nice and comfy.

My neighbor has a clean white square. I drive by it slow every time it is on the driveway.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Pull off wood interior trim,
Throw on some modern 18-19 inch Budnik’s, and run it. Leave it for sale and wait for the right person to flip it to.

My dad’s ‘91 was about the same color. We were in Traders all the time.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
IMG_5121.jpg

wood kit was like $500 bucks per the receipt. Not really a fan but it's a nice kit and it's screwed in so I'm not gonna mess with it.

I did remove the big piece on the cash tray door as you can't see the screw holes that low and I also removed the wood from the gauges as it was double sided tape.

I'm going to visually leave it alone. I agree some 20" wheels would modernize it but if I'm gonna keep it I would rock the 15" billets and throw 600 hp at it:D
IMG_5121.jpg
IMG_5127.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I worked at Traders in 94/95. I was a Senior in HS and went in after school (off at lunch) and worked until 5pm each day. I was the detail/car care guy for all the Trader's owned vehicles. Fun while it lasted. I had some family there that got me into the job. I helped the owner load and deliver cars to a show at Peterson Museum one day. The owner trusted me with access to his house and I took care of his personal cars too. I had a lot of trust and privileges and never once abused them. I appreciate what I learned there.

Thanks for posting, it obviously brought back a lot of memories for me as well. My Dad had a lowered and shaved white crew cab dually all done by Trader's.

As for your truck, I wouldn't put any money into it. Clean it up and drive it. List it for sale for plenty more than you paid and see if some guy comes along and picks up his dream classic lowered ride. Good Luck!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I worked at Traders in 94/95. I was a Senior in HS and went in after school (off at lunch) and worked until 5pm each day. I was the detail/car care guy for all the Trader's owned vehicles. Fun while it lasted. I had some family there that got me into the job. I helped the owner load and deliver cars to a show at Peterson Museum one day. The owner trusted me with access to his house and I took care of his personal cars too. I had a lot of trust and privileges and never once abused them. I appreciate what I learned there.

Thanks for posting, it obviously brought back a lot of memories for me as well. My Dad had a lowered and shaved white crew cab dually all done by Trader's.

As for your truck, I wouldn't put any money into it. Clean it up and drive it. List it for sale for plenty more than you paid and see if some guy comes along and picks up his dream classic lowered ride. Good Luck!

I bought a regular cab 1996 new and spent some time and $$$ at traders. There was another shop in Los alamitos that was big at the time and that's where I first had a 2/4 DJM drop installed followed by a 5/7 belltech as I started making more $$$. I can still picture the big dollar all done up trader trucks at Selman chevrolet just like this one back in the day. The 350 x cab trucks like this were way above my pay grade but I loved shopping...haha

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
View attachment 804928

wood kit was like $500 bucks per the receipt. Not really a fan but it's a nice kit and it's screwed in so I'm not gonna mess with it.

I did remove the big piece on the cash tray door as you can't see the screw holes that low and I also removed the wood from the gauges as it was double sided tape.

I'm going to visually leave it alone. I agree some 20" wheels would modernize it but if I'm gonna keep it I would rock the 15" billets and throw 600 hp at it:D View attachment 804928 View attachment 804929

Pull off wood trim and have it painted, bolt back on if possible.

My dad had 15s on it too. The 17+ wheels look sooo much better, especially today.

Start searching for a vintage period set of Boyd’s or Budniks would be where I’d start. Might get lucky at the Pomona Swap Meet or something.

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Pull off wood trim and have it painted, bolt back on if possible.

My dad had 15s on it too. The 17+ wheels look sooo much better, especially today.

Start searching for a vintage period set would be where I’d start. Might get lucky at the Pomona Swap Meet or something.

I agree....I had 17" colorado customs on my 96

Not sure what I'm going to do. Someone should buy it before I buy a motor and trans and it ends up on jack stands...haha

BajaMike

Reaction score
Nice truck, looks like a gem. If you have room, keep it forever! Nice and smooth to drive and easy to repair. Those Chevy trucks were some of the best years ever. How many miles are on it? Looks low miles.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree....I had 17" colorado customs on my 96

Not sure what I'm going to do. Someone should buy it before I buy a motor and trans and it ends up on jack stands...haha

Run it as is. Don’t create a smog nightmare for the next owner lol.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Nice truck, looks like a gem. If you have room, keep it forever! Nice and smooth to drive and easy to repair. Those Chevy trucks were some of the best years ever. How many miles are on it? Looks low miles.

152707 miles on pic

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If the license plate hinges and your hitch receiver is there it is a keeper.:p
:D:D

6 balls

Reaction score
I bought a regular cab 1996 new and spent some time and $$$ at traders. There was another shop in Los alamitos that was big at the time and that's where I first had a 2/4 DJM drop installed followed by a 5/7 belltech as I started making more $$$. I can still picture the big dollar all done up trader trucks at Selman chevrolet just like this one back in the day. The 350 x cab trucks like this were way above my pay grade but I loved shopping...haha

Dealer's Sport Trucks

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Cool find and think I'd keep it for awhile.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
It's not old skool enough to drop Irocs on....:D

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Love those trucks and had several. The brakes and weak AC were the only real issues I remember besides intake gaskets. Run that mofo

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Time capsule is the right term. I graduated high school in 95, and those trucks were the pinnacle of cool. 15" Boyds for the more "mature" crowd, 16's and even those giant 17's Colorado Custom had for the real swingin' dicks... I had 15's on all my stuff. Even if I could afford the rims, the constant burnouts cost me too much in tires:(

AEA

Reaction score
If it's going to be a toy, I vote LSA and turbo.
If you're going to daily drive it, leave it as is.
Nice find.

gqchris

Reaction score
thats bad ass sir. I wouldnt touch a thing!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything but wash and wax it... That was my dream truck "back in the day".

mbrown2

Reaction score
Leave it...anything like 19's or new dash will date it to something it is not. 15's were era appropriate wheels. I had a 91 extra cab red that looked exactly like that. Bell Tech drop spindles, 15" boyd's, I had the color painted matched grill....crazy boston acoustic pro system in it and that was hidden so the dash stereo worked as factory...it was an amazing truck.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Well if anyone bails on buying it let me know.
Would go perfect with the 97 and 98 dually I have

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Brakes are for sure a tad squishy in that generation...lol

New AC compressor blows cold and the intake manifold gasket has been done:)
I think I’d do some brakes and roll!

What’s all this about an LS?
Sure. You could, bit what a pain in the ass.
Magnusun or similar made a carb legal blower for them. I’d probably look into it before a complete engine swap.

I had an 89 short bed short cab 5.7 with the Hypertech chip, a K&N and a 3” cat back with a flow master:D

It was a fun truck for sure.
I had a buddy with a 91 Firebird 5.0, he wouldn’t line up with it:D

It wasn’t really “quick” by most standards, but was very versatile.
It would pull off 18+mpg going to Phoenix, would tug my CJ5 with a banshee in the bed to Glamis, take me to work everyday, Like a Rock..lol.
At 256,xxx miles, some asshole decided they needed it more than I did. Stolen for the second time and never to be seen again.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think I’d do some brakes and roll!

What’s all this about an LS?
Sure. You could, bit what a pain in the ass.
Magnusun or similar made a carb legal blower for them. I’d probably look into it before a complete engine swap.

I had an 89 short bed short cab 5.7 with the Hypertech chip, a K&N and a 3” cat back with a flow master:D

It was a fun truck for sure.
I had a buddy with a 91 Firebird 5.0, he wouldn’t line up with it:D

It wasn’t really “quick” by most standards, but was very versatile.
It would pull off 18+mpg going to Phoenix, would tug my CJ5 with a banshee in the bed to Glamis, take me to work everyday, Like a Rock..lol.
At 256,xxx miles, some asshole decided they needed it more than I did. Stolen for the second time and never to be seen again.

I could probably do a complete ls swap for less than 2K once the factory motor and trans were sold. Pretty cheap for an extra 150HP and better mpg.

It's not nearly as hard as one would think if you do a 5.3/4l60e. New motor mount adapters and she slides right in and the tranny bolts right to the X member and the factory driveshaft works.

I think I'm just going to clean her up and being her back to nearly perfect and cruise perhaps throw a stereo in with some stuff I have lying around.. I already have some fun fast stuff lying around so adding a bunch of power is sounding kind of dumb but you never know.

JD D05

Reaction score
I could probably do a complete ls swap for less than 2K once the factory motor and trans were sold. Pretty cheap for an extra 150HP and better mpg.

It's not nearly as hard as one would think if you do a 5.3/4l60e. New motor mount adapters and she slides right in and the tranny bolts right to the X member and the factory driveshaft works.

I think I'm just going to clean her up and being her back to nearly perfect and cruise perhaps throw a stereo in with some stuff I have lying around.. I already have some fun fast stuff lying around so adding a bunch of power is sounding kind of dumb but you never know.

Put a Duramax in it. :D