WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Glamis in the 90’s

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
That’s awesome! I was out there somewhere...12 years old in 92. Rode a Suzuki LT 230 quad, a 200X 3-wheeler and every once in a while I’d get to drive the rail - a mid- engine high jumper with a 1914 Volkswagen, aluminum beam front, and Jamar controls / discs etc. fun times

TeamGreene

Reaction score
F77E97B2-E571-45D7-919C-FCFFFCDC91F0.jpeg
Not glamis but we were at dumont every winter. This is my pops with his all aluminum frame fibertech with a corvair engine.

Cdog

Reaction score
Awesome times. I haven’t been in years. Since 2008 maybe.

Trying to plan a guys trip this winter.

2Driver

Reaction score
Was there in the 80’s. Wife on a honda 225 atc and me on the xr 500. Pretty much had the place to ourselves compared to today. Tent camped under a palo verde tree

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Never went but a lot of my offloading friends did ...looks like it was a whole bunch of fun...

welldigger00

Reaction score
Who remembers “war wagon”? It was this first gen dodge that ran around with paddles and open headers. He’d be out there every time we would go. This was back when camping out past wash three was way the fuck out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

havasu5150

Reaction score
Who remembers “war wagon”? It was this first gen dodge that ran around with paddles and open headers. He’d be out there every time we would go. This was back when camping out past wash three was way the fuck out there.

The War Wagon was great! I remember the driver and passenger riding around wearing "crash dummy" masks. It was hilarious. Loved Glamis back then I had a couple of Banshee's and a Prowlers Sand Sprite IV with a VW 2276.....all of which has been sold.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Used to be some dam nice water pumpers running out there in 90’s

jailbird141

Reaction score
The good old days...before all of the financeable golf carts arrived and screwed it up.

Glamis got screwed looooong before the "financeable golf carts" came along. It started going down hill when everyone could cash out of their home and buy the big, long travel sand cars. That's when people with more money than talent started showing up. That's when the days of heading out after work on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and still being able to find a spot ended. That's when the dunes started getting so chewed up and tore up that you had to have a sand car with long travel suspension to be able to enjoy it. That's when the atmosphere started going downhill and the place started getting flooded with rangers every holiday weekend and places like "Competition Hill" had to be closed at sunset. "The good old days" started dying long before golf carts, side by sides or whatever else you want to call them came along.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Used to go out there and ride my Honda 200X before getting my Honda TRX250R (2 stroke) quad.

K-DOG

Reaction score
Glamis got screwed looooong before the "financeable golf carts" came along. It started going down hill when everyone could cash out of their home and buy the big, long travel sand cars. That's when people with more money than talent started showing up. That's when the days of heading out after work on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and still being able to find a spot ended. That's when the dunes started getting so chewed up and tore up that you had to have a sand car with long travel suspension to be able to enjoy it. That's when the atmosphere started going downhill and the place started getting flooded with rangers every holiday weekend and places like "Competition Hill" had to be closed at sunset. "The good old days" started dying long before golf carts, side by sides or whatever else you want to call them came along.

Yup I remember seeing the first big HP long travel car in amazement but little did I know it would ruin the dunes. Hasn't been the same since.

sprintcvx

Reaction score
Cool video, thanks for sharing. I've only been to glamis once- Thanksgiving 2000.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My last trip was 1999, Easter. I had a JSC with a 2275, old school Small Car Specialties heads and dual 48's. Loved that car. At the end of that season, everyone in the group had, or was building, long travel waterpumpers. I had been pitting for a 7 unlimited truck, and knew the shocks were a deal breaker for me. At 21, with a house payment, the buggy went for sale. Sounds like I didn't miss much. In the following years, Ls powered sleds that weighed 4k pounds started to take over. Now, SxS's. When you built the car, you knew it's limits. A duner worked their way up to being fast. I don't think it's the same anymore.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Awesome video.. What a trip down memory lane! Damn i miss running 2 stroke banshees up olds and comp.. Alot of years going to the dunes.. Hard to believe its been 10 years since ive been there.

dave29

Reaction score
We were doing it there in the 80's. ATC 90's and rear engine VW powered sand rails. No crowds except for Thanksgiving. Swimming in the canal, Dirty Bob's and Clean Gene's. I remember when a manufacturer came out with aluminum wheels, wow. Was a big deal.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Glamis got screwed looooong before the "financeable golf carts" came along. It started going down hill when everyone could cash out of their home and buy the big, long travel sand cars. That's when people with more money than talent started showing up. That's when the days of heading out after work on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and still being able to find a spot ended. That's when the dunes started getting so chewed up and tore up that you had to have a sand car with long travel suspension to be able to enjoy it. That's when the atmosphere started going downhill and the place started getting flooded with rangers every holiday weekend and places like "Competition Hill" had to be closed at sunset

Glamis , Parker strip, havazoo, it has all changed .
But still heaven can be found , weekdays , and late of the year trips .

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

Some truth in there, but at least with the long travel high dollar rails, one had to have some assets to obtain one and had some skin in the game.

Not so much with the golf carts. Now anybody that can fog a mirror can get one and head on out to the dunes. Take a look around on any weekend. Side by side shit show populated largely by people who have no idea what they are doing nor any idea of responsibly enjoying the dunes. They have made the problem exponentially worse.

cakemoto

Reaction score
It all started with the funco
For me as a kid it was awesome being there for a week on big weekend and watching Robbie come rolling in with his Semi truck

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s.
Been a good10 yrs since I've been too. Last time I was there they'd just constructed a portion of the new wash road since the railroad closed the old one to traffic. Loosing easy access to Boardmanville sucked..
Built my Manx for the dunes and it's never touched it. :confused::(

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We still go and it's always a good time when it's too cold to go to Havasu. Just wish the weekends didn't go by so fast! :(

Reactions: DWC

wallnutz

Reaction score
22D0DEBE-AD2C-48A9-8240-CA4F41DF4D2A.jpeg
42207CA8-6745-41F9-8E4F-EAE47A0ABCB0.jpeg
upload_2019-11-4_10-41-52.jpeg
Just got back from 4 days in the sand. It’s all what you make of it. The first time I went was 1983, been going pretty much ever since, but did have a little lull when my kids were born for a year or two.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I dont think it was the high dollar vehicles at all that killed the place. I think it was the culture.

The dunes like the river was a place that people escaped to getting away from the crazy bs and enjoying freedom to have a drink with friends and feel like they had room to breath. Then that freedom was pushed to the limits with huge parties that people could show upto in their honda civics and park on the 78 and walk to. Then out of control asshats flipped the border patrol vehicle and all the enforcement showed up in droves and has never left. Each screwup since justifying the next agency arriving.

69hondo

Reaction score
Been going my whole life pretty much. I still love it. Yes it has changed but what hasn't. If you go to Glamis and cant find empty dunes you are doing it wrong no matter when. You can go on the busiest weekend and always find good sand. If you go and only go to the flats, olds and the drags you will never see anything but chaos like the channel in havasu on memorial day. I dont like going on the holidays but sometimes that is just what works best for the group. Thats why we are going Thanksgiving this year and yes it will be busy in the washes and popular areas but out in the dunes it will be awesome. Started on the death machines and still ride one to this day but with age does come a cage and have had a number of buggies. Started with a 2 seat Johnys speed and chrome with 1600 graduated to a 5 seat beam car wit a 1914 and now into a long travel. all three together in picture below. It is still good family/friend fun. If you havent been because you went in the early 2000s and got tired of all the bullshit that was going on go again its not like that anymore.
Screenshot_20191104-102730_Instagram.jpg
FB_IMG_1564509708067.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-070454_Instagram.jpg
20190320_073335.jpg
70606.jpeg

charred1

Reaction score
Been going since the late 70’s. Camped on the north side of 78 near the old Glamis beach store and Clean Geans. Started on ATC 70, then moved up to ATC 90. Man, I thought I was the shit when my dad finally let me ride his 110...lol! Simpler times...

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Been going since the late 70’s. Camped on the north side of 78 near the old Glamis beach store and Clean Geans. Started on ATC 70, then moved up to ATC 90. Man, I thought I was the shit when my dad finally let me ride his 110...lol! Simpler times...
Last time I was there on my 110 they were filming Gum Ball Rally:)

goshen82

Reaction score
E5D04473-E914-4256-A984-A9BB545D9D1B.png
Was there this past weekend me my dad and brother May not be the same as it was but still love it. Just have to get there before everyone on the big weekends.

Backlash

Reaction score
I would LOVE to pick up an OG Mazzone car and just take that sucker out for a Sunday drive with the little lady. Dont need anything fancy and have zero interest in trying to keep up with the Jones's. I've always loved the way those cars looked! Talk about 90's! :D

welldigger00

Reaction score
In my opinion, the beginning of the change with Glamis started with the original crusty demons of dirt video. It was first available at chaparral when it was still in the yellow building on the other side of the 215 from where it is now. I saw the progression of change all happen in less than ten years.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It got screwed up when they fixed wash road, so any douche nozzle could make it past wash 15!

:D

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I've been going out there since 1983. I've walked for miles and miles out there and have found some of the coolest stuff left over from when General Patton used the area as a training ground for his troops. Studied the history of the place at length and learned a lot. I've literally been in every large valley out there from Patton Valley all the way up to highway 78. Glamis is a huge part of my childhood and continues to be as I get older and older. And older. There's a certain peace and spirituality out there that not a lot of people "get."

I remember being in school and friends would ask what I was doing on the weekend.

Me: "Going to Glamis."
Friends: "Where?"

How that has changed.

What really cracks me up is (and I know some of you may have them) are the stickers that say, "Glamis - Live the life!" or "It's a sand thing...you wouldn't understand." Right, clown. You've been going out there for what, a whole 3 years? You seasoned salt dog. Got it all figured out. Living the life, are you? Pfft.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I dunno....crowd looks the same back then.

No question it WAS better

Your ad here

Reaction score
Wasn't much of a Glamis rider but still enjoyed riding in the sand with the group. Haven't been in there 9 years. Mainly road Ocotillo since 01 when I was 11 and know the place very well. Been all over on a YZ250F and an XR50. Haven't been out much in the past 3 years though. One place that I always had fun is Dumont Dunes. It was a party the whole time. Riding the dunes is the best hangover cure. I would get the biggest rush riding up then across the far left side of comp hill. It was pretty much straight up and down. The view when parked on top of comp hill was great. Nothing but desert.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've been going out there since 1983. I've walked for miles and miles out there and have found some of the coolest stuff left over from when General Patton used the area as a training ground for his troops. Studied the history of the place at length and learned a lot. I've literally been in every large valley out there from Patton Valley all the way up to highway 78. Glamis is a huge part of my childhood and continues to be as I get older and older. And older. There's a certain peace and spirituality out there that not a lot of people "get."

I remember being in school and friends would ask what I was doing on the weekend.

How that has changed.

What really cracks me up is (and I know some of you may have them) are the stickers that say, "Glamis - Live the life!" or "It's a sand thing...you wouldn't understand." Right, clown. You've been going out there for what, a whole 3 years? You seasoned salt dog. Got it all figured out. Living the life, are you? Pfft.

You need to come with, out to wash 22 one day.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
You need to come with, out to wash 22 one day.

Long way in the dirt for the motorhome and trailer, but we could try it. Years ago when our rigs were smaller and before they removed the RR crossing, we used to go to 40. I used to climb up in the old border patrol tower that was there and watch as trains went by. It got wiped out a few years ago when a train derailed. Would have been a ride to be up in that thing when that happened. :eek:

Let me know when your trips are. We have a few weekends picked out already.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Long way in the dirt for the motorhome and trailer, but we could try it. Years ago when our rigs were smaller and before they removed the RR crossing, we used to go to 40. I used to climb up in the old border patrol tower that was there and watch as trains went by. It got wiped out a few years ago when a train derailed. Would have been a ride to be up in that thing when that happened. :eek:

Let me know when your trips are. We have a few weekends picked out already.

Sadly it's not like the old days, the original road was closed due to the accident at the tracks, and a whole new graded road was put in. You can take a lowerd car back to 22 now.

:mad:

wayniac

Reaction score

Lots of reasons the place started going downhill.. I think videos and culture had the most to do with it. Non riders were a huge problem. When people only came out to party, and would roll up with a truck full of people that had no respect for bikes or glamis it was over. They would trash olds during the day.... head to the sand drags to throw trash there, and finish the night at comp and destroy that place. One of my last trips out, we rolled down comp at night and as I got to the bottom of the hill, they had just flipped a truck with paper plates, lit it on fire, and a guy pulled out a gun and started shooting it...

wayniac

Reaction score
Haven’t been in 15 years or so but would love to go back . We had lots of adventures there growing up in the 80’s
View attachment 813483

Me too.. I think im close to making it back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would LOVE to pick up an OG Mazzone car and just take that sucker out for a Sunday drive with the little lady. Dont need anything fancy and have zero interest in trying to keep up with the Jones's. I've always loved the way those cars looked! Talk about 90's! :D

This i think about too.... I was lucky enough to camp with Mazzone.. what a great guy. He would take money from the long travel guys hen they would start talking crap around the camp fire. He had a standing bet that he could lose any of those guys in the dunes in his car. They would head out, and he would drop them out there... that guy could drive.. There was only a few of us that would ride shotgun... Great times...

How that has changed.

I spent 3 weeks out there once, and it was the most relaxing vacation I have probably ever had... That was when we found the oasis, found the graveyard near the store, perfected bloody marys, and actually made it out to china wall.