WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Powder coat or wrap

69hondo

Reaction score
The hood, windshield frame and dash on my buggy are still raw aluminum. I used to think it looked cool but it just looks unfinished to me now. I have held off because I dont think they can match the powder coat color and it might drive me nuts if it is to far off. I was thinking of doing a carbonfiber wrap in these locations. What do you all think, opinions, suggestions?
20191107_130511.jpg

Brobee

Reaction score
Powder coating is bought from only a couple of suppliers, unless it was a custom mixed color I doubt it would be hard to match. Even if it is custom, small sample batches can easily be mixed up until it matches. The only difference you might see is the fading/wear of your original color vs the new. My brother owns a powder coating shop in Temecula and when I worked there we did this all the time. A wrap would look nice but I haven’t been impressed with their longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69hondo

Reaction score
Powder coating is bought from only a couple of suppliers, unless it was a custom mixed color I doubt it would be hard to match. Even if it is custom, small sample batches can easily be mixed up until it matches. The only difference you might see is the fading/wear of your original color vs the new. My brother owns a powder coating shop in Temecula and when I worked there we did this all the time. A wrap would look nice but I haven’t been impressed with their longevity.

Oh ok, I brought some sample pieces home from a local powder coater and they were a little off so I just moved on. They never said anything about mixing until it matches. I will go back and ask about that. I am sure its probably a standard color but its faded with age.

Thanks

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
B&B can strip the existing panels, then just shoot all the aluminum together. Don did all my aluminum a few years ago, and if all the tins are the same but a dash off of the tubing you won’t really be able to notice solely on fact of flat vs round.

Meaney77

Reaction score
What about a grey wrap so it matches the side panels- breaks up the red a little.

69hondo

Reaction score
B&B can strip the existing panels, then just shoot all the aluminum together. Don did all my aluminum a few years ago, and if all the tins are the same but a dash off of the tubing you won’t really be able to notice solely on fact of flat vs round.

I really dont want to strip and redo the existing panels.

What about a grey wrap so it matches the side panels- breaks up the red a little.

Yeah that is a thought but I think I would feel that same way.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
A buddy of mine did his panels all Anthracite. Give you a little idea as his chassis is red as well.
31CAFBEA-EA5E-4D8C-874F-F2568A19296B.jpeg

bagged97taco

Reaction score
I’m not a huge fan of carbon fiber wrap. It looks too fake to me. I would powder coat them a silver or close to the eagle/flame color on the sides

Brobee

Reaction score
The bare aluminum is pretty close to the silver on the side. You could always clean the panels and shoot a clear over the bare aluminum, but then you’d be no different than where you are now. Is the red a candy, a metallic, or a solid red? Where are you located?

JD D05

Reaction score
The hood, windshield frame and dash on my buggy are still raw aluminum. I used to think it looked cool but it just looks unfinished to me now. I have held off because I dont think they can match the powder coat color and it might drive me nuts if it is to far off. I was thinking of doing a carbonfiber wrap in these locations. What do you all think, opinions, suggestions? View attachment 814396

I have wrapped bumpers etc in the past and it tends to peal in the edges and corners over time but it is super easy to change up. I personally would PC it a different color. Or maybe a brushed finish with clear coat.

69hondo

Reaction score
The bare aluminum is pretty close to the silver on the side. You could always clean the panels and shoot a clear over the bare aluminum, but then you’d be no different than where you are now. Is the red a candy, a metallic, or a solid red? Where are you located?

I think the panels are just a red. The chassis seems to be a darker red with some metallic in it. I am in Hesperia CA