WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Glamis in the 90’s

77charger

Reaction score
My son was tranferring video from 8mm to his computer recently and did some with glamis footage i had from mid 90s to 2000 i use to tell him about couches being towed,kids taking moms navigator and slamming a big whoop at drags and bumper flys off,the dune boat,etc and he didnt believe me till he saw the vids LOL he saw how packed comp hill was during that time as well.Like said i think late 90s is when it started getting out of control and im sure crusty demons didnt help but have seen it mellow out with people but not with BLM.

Yes there has always been trouble makers and wrong people even today always been there always will just less of them.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Anyone remember seeing a dude in a powder blue tuxedo and rainbow afro wig that would drink all your beer then roll through your fire pit? :D

jailbird141

Reaction score
My son was tranferring video from 8mm to his computer recently and did some with glamis footage i had from mid 90s to 2000 i use to tell him about couches being towed,kids taking moms navigator and slamming a big whoop at drags and bumper flys off,the dune boat,etc and he didnt believe me till he saw the vids LOL he saw how packed comp hill was during that time as well.Like said i think late 90s is when it started getting out of control and im sure crusty demons didnt help but have seen it mellow out with people but not with BLM.

Yes there has always been trouble makers and wrong people even today always been there always will just less of them.

I remember many times some kid would take mom's SUV down the drag strip and when he would hit the whoops the air bag would deploy and the crowds would go crazy!!! LOL, always wondered how they explained it to mom after the weekend .....

K-DOG

Reaction score
I remember many times some kid would take mom's SUV down the drag strip and when he would hit the whoops the air bag would deploy and the crowds would go crazy!!! LOL, always wondered how they explained it to mom after the weekend .....

It was not a good time spectating at the drags unless you had to run a few times. Who else also remembers Pennywise playing at Comp at night? Good times.

cakemoto

Reaction score
It was not a good time spectating at the drags unless you had to run a few times. Who else also remembers Pennywise playing at Comp at night? Good times.

Dude that’s crazy I was there... I was a kid I remember people were huffing on balloons all over the place passing out.I tell people all the time I’ve seen a fucking rock concert out in Glamis and they never believe me

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
IMG_20191104_214840.jpg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I forgot all about Pennywise. Good times!

77charger

Reaction score
Oh yeh use to be the greatest. Also the drags had a berm good seeing those try to jump it too.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Oh yeh use to be the greatest. Also the drags had a berm good seeing those try to jump it too.
The berm built up on account of back then folks actually drag raced.
Once the suspension cars came to be drags sort of died as a real drag race for many.
Heavy suspension cars can’t leave:D

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Was that last time you were there?
Probably not long after that. BLM presence, trying to get people to go, with just my little Pismo car, wasn't worth the haul.
I've never actually worn that shirt. You look pretty skinny now. Xl?

77charger

Reaction score
The berm built up on account of back then folks actually drag raced.
Once the suspension cars came to be drags sort of died as a real drag race for many.
Heavy suspension cars can’t leave:D
True once the big cars started using it as s running start to jump it flattened out. But some still think the blm flattened it

blefever

Reaction score
Glamis got screwed looooong before the "financeable golf carts" came along. It started going down hill when everyone could cash out of their home and buy the big, long travel sand cars. That's when people with more money than talent started showing up. That's when the days of heading out after work on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and still being able to find a spot ended. That's when the dunes started getting so chewed up and tore up that you had to have a sand car with long travel suspension to be able to enjoy it. That's when the atmosphere started going downhill and the place started getting flooded with rangers every holiday weekend and places like "Competition Hill" had to be closed at sunset. "The good old days" started dying long before golf carts, side by sides or whatever else you want to call them came along.

Nailed it. Dumont too. Started with the Quads that anybody could buy no money down no payments for the first year, and however many more months you could get after that, before Mad Dog came and got it.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Never thought to bring a camera back then. How would I hold it? It was all I could do to hold the throttle pinned. :)

Quicksilver

Reaction score
I haven't been to Glamis in quite a few years, long before everyone had a side by side. Back in the days it was quads, three wheelers, some VW powered sand cars, and a few bad ass long travel cars. I heard Boardmanville is closed and you can't go across the railroad tracks anymore. I did go to Dumont last year and brought my quad. What a mistake, the dunes were so tore up. That and being in fear of getting run over by some idiot.

77charger

Reaction score
I haven't been to Glamis in quite a few years, long before everyone had a side by side. Back in the days it was quads, three wheelers, some VW powered sand cars, and a few bad ass long travel cars. I heard Boardmanville is closed and you can't go across the railroad tracks anymore. I did go to Dumont last year and brought my quad. What a mistake, the dunes were so tore up. That and being in fear of getting run over by some idiot.
Glamis gets torn up good the SxS put down some weird bumps looks like wheel hop. Not hard to tell where a group passed by. But plenty of area to avoid others for sure.

NicPaus

Reaction score
All this Glamis talk makes we want to get back in the game. That bonfire that was blazing at the Hill while the band played was Me Brought 1 of the Girls back to camp that stopped by to warm up. Great times!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Glamis gets torn up good the SxS put down some weird bumps looks like wheel hop. Not hard to tell where a group passed by. But plenty of area to avoid others for sure.
All the roads/trails the SxS's go on are washboarded to all hell. Ocotillo and the east side of Salton Sea beat the shit outta me.

77charger

Reaction score
All the roads/trails the SxS's go on are washboarded to all hell. Ocotillo and the east side of Salton Sea beat the shit outta me.
Oh yeh been on Bradshaw trail was beat up torn up.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I drove thru glamis a few weeks ago. Right at sunset heading west. There is definitely so new style wash board on sand hiway . Ive never noticed until the sun made the shadows. Its small close chop between the whoops.

77charger

Reaction score
Did you have a million Glamis New Years stickers with a guy on a dirt bike sticker on the right side middle?
Yeh I noticed as making turn into the 78 the icon sticker and Ford truck in mirror compared to pic you posted.
Btw guy in front of me was holding up the traffic fuckin guy couldn't figure out where he was going and prob thought he was in a school zone Glad I didn't have to follow him down gecko rd as I turn into sweet Marie's to hit camp spot

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yeh I noticed as making turn into the 78 the icon sticker and Ford truck in mirror compared to pic you posted.
Btw guy in front of me was holding up the traffic fuckin guy couldn't figure out where he was going and prob thought he was in a school zone Glad I didn't have to follow him down gecko rd as I turn into sweet Marie's to hit camp spot
That was me, that guy was painfully slow lol. I think we ended up in wash 13. You going to the flag pole today?

jetur

Reaction score
My parents never got into the dunes, they enjoyed off-road racing and desert camping but I couldn't talk them into the dunes. Havasu they had no problem with. Lol. I started going with buddies in high school but we were only allowed to go to Yuma. Once we got old enough to go to Glamis I have made it every year except a few years were my kids were baby's. The crowds go up and down depending on what the economy is doing. But most drive from destination to destination all day (swingset, olds, drags, ECT) if you stay away from those areas you can still enjoy the dunes with minimal crowds.

77charger

Reaction score
That was me, that guy was painfully slow lol. I think we ended up in wash 13. You going to the flag pole today?
Nice meeting you at olds funny how things work out but rdp crew is strong. Thanks for help offer on my bil buggy guess it was just fuse made it back issue free he's gonna redo fuel system before thanksgiving to be safe.btw If you wanna camp with us just let me know.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
Why don’t we put together an RDP Glamis trip together this season?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cakemoto

Reaction score
I try to do that last year It never worked.....Everyone was going opposite weekends.I’m gonna go back first or second week of December

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Boardmanville is alive and well, I'm working on the website for it! New owner, and @QueenGlamis runs the place now.

Everyone should go check it out. :)