WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

saw Midway last night

DaveH

Reaction score
it was surprisingly good!

unlike Pearl Harbor that was half a love story, this movie mainly kept to historical facts and key players of the time and left most of the glamour out.

i didnt think Hollywood was capable of producing something like this anymore.

Kfabe

Reaction score

unlike Pearl Harbor that was half a love story, this movie mainly kept to historical facts and key players of the time and left most of the glamour out.

Did the movie address Epstein killing himself?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Was it better than when we saw Dunkirk?:D:p

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Dunkirk was one of the worst movies ever and it could have been great. Had Hitler given the order to destroy the troops standing on the beach waiting for pickup we may have all been speaking German right now.

nowski

Reaction score
Pilots tend to be intelligent, they like "toys", boats, fast cars, motorcycles, big watches, etc. They are good at taking things apart and putting them back together. Pilots are concrete, practical, linear thinkers rather than abstract, philosophical, or movie critics. Well maybe I'll have to see the movie and see how well your movie critiquing skills are, lol...

RCDave

Reaction score
How was it compared to the original Midway? The original is one of the best films ever made

rrrr

Reaction score
How was it compared to the original Midway? The original is one of the best films ever made

I agree. While it took dramatic license (For example, Admiral Halsey didn't pal around with cryptoanalyst Commander Joe Roquefort), it was mostly factually accurate. The movie was also the debut of "Surround Sound", large subwoofers installed in the rear of select theatres for the movie, which made the launches of aircraft from the carriers shake the building.

Practically every leading Hollywood actor played a part in the film. Charleton Heston, Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, Hal Holbrook, Robert Mitchum, and Robert Wagner were the major names.

Another interesting detail was the inclusion of US Navy color film of actual battle action taken during WWII. It provided realism that special effects could never produce.

I saw a TV ad for the just released movie, and immediately lost interest in seeing it. Watching CGI scenes of fake aircraft spewing thousands of bullets and huge explosions isn't worth watching. Fighter pilots engaged in combat were trained to shoot three or four second bursts in dogfights.

The Grumman F4F-4 fighter in use at the time had six .50 caliber machine guns, and carried 240 rounds per gun. This ammunition provided just thirty seconds of firing time, and conserving that ammo was a life or death consideration.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Dunkirks trailer made the movie look promising but the trailer was the movie.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I thought Dunkirk was horrible.

The story is told from 3 perspectives, the Land, the Sea, and the Air, broken into 3 time scales, Week, Day, Hour. The first, told from the perspective of the land, takes place over the course of a week, the second, from the perspective of the sea, over the course of the day, and the third, the perspective of the air, over the course of an hour.

I thought the movie did a great job of creating emotion and suspense with almost no dialogue. The story isn't deep or complex, it was just brutal war.

not really a movie you'd watch more than once, but i liked it.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I’m excited to see it. WWII movies are probably my favorite. Such a crazy time. They were straight badasses. The Pacific. Band Of Brothers. Saving Private Ryan. I hope it’s in that category of movie. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Netflix just dropped a new documentary series today. I think it's supposed to be their version of ww2 in colour. I hope it's good as I'm always looking for new ww2 shit.