WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SEMA - F**king Mint

2Driver

Reaction score
Haha. Some of those Sema jeeps end up at Barrett Jackson each year and they are usually fucking mint. :D

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m more interested to see this guys ride he drives, let’s critique that????
How many cars does he have at Sema this year.
Just another wantabe overly critical Homo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean you kinda have to admit that there are some real dog shit vehicles that people bring to that show. Having said that there are also pure world class builds there too. Something for everybody :D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I’m more interested to see this guys ride he drives, let’s critique that????
How many cars does he have at Sema this year.
Just another wantabe overly critical Homo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For those vehicles being supposed "show quality" that's a lot of not so quality details.
And, I don't give a shit what he drives.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
For those vehicles being supposed "show quality" that's a lot of not so quality details.
And, I don't give a shit what he drives.
Someone must have pissed in his Cheerios this morning. Guy seems very upset over something that's funny AF.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mbrown2

Reaction score
Fucking funny!....crazy the dog shit people take out there....focking lipstick on a pig.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Watched it with the sound off..... Looks like what I expected really. All the guys that build trucks with those fucking dumbass wheels are all about the look and don't give 2 shits about performance or reliability of the vehicles. I cannot believe that "builders" take a vehicle to SEMA with wheel spacers like that or some of the other half-assed shit they do. The missing driveshafts I can understand if that not what they are there to show and we're running out of time. The shit pinion angles on some of them though is a whole different story.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
All that is nothing out of the ordinary for sema. There are always that group of vehicles that are rushed and barely make it in time. Ive been going to sema since i was 13 and it was the same thing every year, the "sema crunch" is the last 3 weeks leading up to set up. Most of those vehicles that have issues are catalog trucks, they have a ton of expensive parts but arent true one off builds, they are assembled using off the shelf parts

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I've towed a couple cars to SEMA over the years for a buddy of mine. They were Brand specific promotional vehicles that he would modify for a certain look that he pitched to the Auto Manufacturer, he'd show them at SEMA and then the cars would get used by manuf. to tour around and get shown off. There is a lot of lipstick on pigs there. I haven't walked SEMA but have seen shops prepping cars and trucks for the show and they are always in too big of a rush, usually underpaid and the cars suffer because of it. While working on my Dad's C-10 over the last couple years people hit me up about making it a "SEMA truck" and I'm like, "NO WAY!" This is no rush job to slap a bunch of crap onto just to get your shop notoriety from my Dad's build.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
A friend wrote a proposal and we actually got a dollar car from Ford to build for the 2007 SEMA show. I was given a 2008 Ford Focus Coupe manual trans. Full Alcantara interior, big turbo kit, 3DCarbon body kit, full coil overs. It was a nice little ride but not over the top. It was a lot of work and I was never 100% satisfied with the job. However, it was in the Ford booth so a lot of crap you see in that FB video wouldn't fly. To be fair, he has written many proposals and has got lots of cars for SEMA, I just helped, but I did end up with the car.

There is definitely some junk at SEMA. Many are built on limited budgets and done in a rush.

I ended up driving this car for another year after the show as it was part of the requirements from Ford that I take it to misc shows, etc. After that I owned it for a dollar! So many people didn't realize they actually made a Focus Coupe. I think it looked bitchen!

It had anthracite wheels on it at SEMA.

4358419588_4a07a572f9.jpg

4358417508_5fb74320a6.jpg

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
All that is nothing out of the ordinary for sema. There are always that group of vehicles that are rushed and barely make it in time. Ive been going to SEMA since i was 13 and it was the same thing every year, the "SEMA crunch" is the last 3 weeks leading up to set up.

I always laugh when the reality TV shows (of shops that produce work of questionable quality to begin with) gather the employees into a meeting. The owner says something like "We have six weeks to turn this bucket of shit into a SEMA show car".

Although my experience in building a show vehicle from the ground up in a qualified shop is limited, I can say there's no way to do it properly in six weeks or even six months. There's a certain amount of work area on a car, and having more than a few guys on the team results in work that is sloppy and rushed.

Building a car that looks fantastic and operates without any issues is a huge amount of work. I think Kindig shows the reality of that when their completely custom builds take a year or longer to execute. In my related experience of racing, it took nine months to prepare the LSR streamliner for runs at Bonneville.

Good work takes time. There's no way to rush it.

All that being said, I'm really surprised at some of the shitboxes shown in the OP's video. They're really pathetic.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I've towed a couple cars to SEMA over the years for a buddy of mine. They were Brand specific promotional vehicles that he would modify for a certain look that he pitched to the Auto Manufacturer, he'd show them at SEMA and then the cars would get used by manuf. to tour around and get shown off. There is a lot of lipstick on pigs there. I haven't walked SEMA but have seen shops prepping cars and trucks for the show and they are always in too big of a rush, usually underpaid and the cars suffer because of it. While working on my Dad's C-10 over the last couple years people hit me up about making it a "SEMA truck" and I'm like, "NO WAY!" This is no rush job to slap a bunch of crap onto just to get your shop notoriety from my Dad's build.
Very true, unfortunately a lot of the light duty truck and jeep market have become saturated with catalog trucks, dont get me wrong there is a great deal of $$$ spent on some of these builds but the truth is that none of these are truely ground breaking, they are built out of catalogs.

The old yellow alan budnik truck was a true build. Bed was brought in 1/3 inch to close the bed gap, bedsides were pulled to clearance the 12" rear wheels, driveline was shortened and rear axle was moved to accommodate the closing of the bed gap. That was a real build, and it was done in the late 90s. Nowadays the truck market is lifted diesels, with big billets and powdercoated suspension components, its a nice truck no doubt, just not ground breaking or trend setting

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
SEMA brings out some amazing vehicles. It also brings a ton of shit that people just use the bragging rights of it being a SEMA show vehicle.

As stated earlier, so does Barrett Jackson. On TV they are all amazing show quality and in reality its like walking through a high priced swap meet.