WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fire Dept. job

guest hs

Reaction score
My son wants to be a fireman in Lake Havasu. We could use some guidance how to get started. My son is 19 and has a full time job.

4Waters

Reaction score
Start taking tests, don't just try for 1 department he would probably be better off with Clark County, pay, pension and benefits are probably better.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I can’t speak for LHFD but, EMT school and fire science classes are usually the start. He’ll need to research job fliers to see what the desired qualifications are. Private ambulance company job as an EMT is valuable experience because he may have to consider paramedic school. PM school definitely opens more doors and better pay. Test, test and keep testing, everywhere. Also, keep that background clean and stay out of trouble. Most depts do law enforcement level background investigations. It can take several years to get through the classes and qualifications to get hired so tell him not to get discouraged.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
In addition to the fire science course work he’ll probably want to go through an academy as well. I met the Havasu city planner on the lake a few months ago as my son was just finishing the fire academy through Santa Ana College. We asked what the requirements were for Havasu Fire Department and he said that he would also need Paramedic training as they only hire fireman with that background. As been said before, it can take some time and patience. But it can be done with hard work and devotion - my son just hired into Cal Fire at the age of 21, thanks to Cameron (Throttle) here on RDP[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
In addition to the fire science course work he’ll probably want to go through an academy as well. I met the Havasu city planner on the lake a few months ago as my son was just finishing the fire academy through Santa Ana College. We asked what the requirements were for Havasu Fire Department and he said that he would also need Paramedic training as they only hire fireman with that background. As been said before, it can take some time and patience. But it can be done with hard work and devotion - my son just hired into Cal Fire at the age of 21, thanks to Cameron (Throttle) here on RDP[emoji106]

Proud of Parker! He did a lot! In a short time! He made the effort! He listened, he followed a plan! Truly! The effort goes miles and miles in today’s new generation of firefighters! He should be a great candidate for OCFA’s next firefighter trainee exam! Applications will be accepted during a window of time this coming January!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
My son wants to be a fireman in Lake Havasu. We could use some guidance how to get started. My son is 19 and has a full time job.

I would be more than happy to spend some time with him. There are lots of good programs for him to get his feet wet. [emoji106]

Pm sent with my contact info

Last edited:

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
When I was about 20, my BIL said come to Rio hondo fire academy with me, FD is a great job. I had a family business at the time, no thanks.

30 years later he is a bigshot battalion chief I believe with L.A. county, made about $306k last year according to transparent Ca. His Mom, Dad, Sister and myself don't really have anything to do with him because his head is so big he can't fit through the door anymore...

But I wish I had listened, it is a fantastic career! Some of those guys get a little carried away with themselves, vast majority are great...

10-80-10.

10% douche bags. 80% good hardworking guys. 10% over achievers, who can also come off as douche bags. No matter what size the department is this holds true for all of them. [emoji106]

Husqy510

Reaction score
Emt is a minimum, but a lot of department's require a paramedic license, especially the small ones. Private academy and fire science classes help as well, but I think a lot of the bigger departments put more emphasis on a college degree.

Pursuing a career at just one FD is a mistake. I tell guys looking to become a firefighter, that the best department is the one that hires you. The process is incredibly competitive, so he needs to prepare for a tough journey that can take many years.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Don't most departments do drug testing? So tell him no weed.

4Waters

Reaction score
Don't most departments do drug testing? So tell him no weed.
Firefighters have to have a commercial driver's license that is regulated by the federal government so yes all departments do drug testing.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Firefighters have to have a commercial driver's license that is regulated by the federal government so yes all departments do drug testing.
Not in Havasu, or any other department I know of in AZ (as far as CDL). We are CDL exempt on emergency apparatus. Only our FEMA team (Phoenix members only) need CDLs because we are required to drive out of state. Drug testing in AZ is department mandated, and every city department lives by the rules that their attorneys, city management, chief, and union have agreed on and put in place. Can’t say specifically what Havasu Fire does. CA may be different, don’t know. Don’t work there.
I worked for Havasu Fire for 3 years, from ‘95-‘98. All I can say is that at 19, your son should branch out. It is a small town, little growth, and very little opportunity to do the actual cool stuff that goes with the job. Also, people will be up his ass beyond belief.
On the other hand, I say to him... follow your dreams. It is a great career and he will get to do amazing things. Once you have your foot in the door somewhere, anywhere, opportunities will happen. I’d be happy to help if he wants to look toward Phoenix.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
If i was looking to be a ff, i would 1st put 5 years in the miltary( it helps) get a college degree in something useful for fire fighting/ back up( chem comes to mind) get my paramedic lic( combat medic with miltary would also be awesome, so would fire fighting) then get my class a cdl. I know you only need a b, but a is better. With all that you would be miles a head of most. All that is 10 years of your life. Granted you have signifcant fall back.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
10-80-10.

10% douche bags. 80% good hardworking guys. 10% over achievers, who can also come off as douche bags. No matter what size the department is this holds true for all of them. [emoji106]

That pretty much holds true for most private industry...

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Isn't that like saying "I want to win the lottery".
I would say no. Like most blue collar jobs right now, there’s a huge demand for normal, decent, hard working people, that aren’t criminals. A lot of departments still have a shortage from the recession. The big departments are stealing guys from the smaller/lower paid departments. The fireman I worked with yesterday is leaving for LA County, starts 12/2, as a lateral paramedic. It’s a great time to be testing or changing careers.

Kfabe

Reaction score
I would say no. Like most blue collar jobs right now, there’s a huge demand for normal, decent, hard working people, that aren’t criminals. A lot of departments still have a shortage from the recession. The big departments are stealing guys from the smaller/lower paid departments. The fireman I worked with yesterday is leaving for LA County, starts 12/2, as a lateral paramedic. It’s a great time to be testing or changing careers.

100% agree with this. It’s just like any other job you have to put in the time and effort to land a job. I know that my dept is planning on doing at least 2 academies a year for the foreseeable future. Now is a great time to be applying for the fire department.

4Waters

Reaction score
If i was looking to be a ff, i would 1st put 5 years in the miltary( it helps) get a college degree in something useful for fire fighting/ back up( chem comes to mind) get my paramedic lic( combat medic with miltary would also be awesome, so would fire fighting) then get my class a cdl. I know you only need a b, but a is better. With all that you would be miles a head of most. All that is 10 years of your life. Granted you have signifcant fall back.
The unfortunate thing is that if you're a medic in the military you come into the civilian world as an EMT, and yes just get an unrestricted class A that way you are ready to promote to anything.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
The unfortunate thing is that if you're a medic in the military you come into the civilian world as an EMT, and yes just get an unrestricted class A that way you are ready to promote to anything.
That is sad. I think its also sad what ff has become.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

Ck your pm’s

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
All of the above is great advice.....

Tell him to NOT screw up - one night...one mistake ... background check and he’s done !

DUI Assault steals drugs so many times it’s a one night thing with the wrong people.... from what I hear, keep him away from Grads :p