WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

3.5 Ecoboost upgrades

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I like the front grill. My 3.5 does great with 35s. Always in 10th gear, no problem holding it at all.
View attachment 815996

The Lariat Sport grill you have is my 2nd favorite.

The STX grill is my favorite and I put one on my truck. It came with an ugly grey painted one.

EB9E6BB0-0B2C-43A7-82D1-BDD0792C6869.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Wanna race?

I was surprised at the results myself.
What are you, like 18 ? :p
Sure, I have no idea what the odds are you and I will end up front row, side by side at some light -- but when it happens you're on LOF ;)
Just don't bitch when I beat your ass cuz my stock Raptor's only running 34's, not 35's :eek: :p

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What are you, like 18 ? :p
Sure, I have no idea what the odds are you and I will end up front row, side by side at some light -- but when it happens you're on LOF ;)
Just don't bitch when I beat your ass cuz my stock Raptor's only running 34's, not 35's :eek: :p

Are they now "only" 34's because you have been doing so many burnouts? :p

BajaMike

Reaction score
This nonsense all started when Obama took over General Motors, in increased the CAFE standards, and some retard “eco” engineer said “lets just put higher rear ends (lower number) in the pickup trucks.....they shouldn’t be towing those gas guzling boats anyway”. “Higher rear end means better gas mileage”......wrong! Higher rear end means higher manifold vacuume pressure means less power and more fuel burn.

So now they add 6 to 10 speed transmissions which just causes a loss in power with all those gears and another huge point of failure.

attitude

Reaction score
I guarantee I would think his truck is sluggish. ;)

I was implying that he is used to a certain response out of the truck, and would need to run a lower gear in order to achieve that. The trans will shift out to 10th on cruise. This is a physics issue - He has added a large amount of rotating weight and made the final drive taller. Once again, that is not something the transmission can fix.

We basically are talking about adding 37s to a 4l60.. it is the same problem. The 10 speed has a very low 4.7 first, but the actual ratio spread from gears 2-9 is 2.99 2nd gear -.64 10th gear.

A 4l60 ratio spread is 3.06 1st gear -.7 4th gear. Yes the 10 speed has many more gears to keep the engine in its peak power band, but aside from first, the ratio spreads are similar.
Well of course you would because you own one and I believe it’s tuned lol. I bet the OPs truck would still drag a 6 speed 3.5 eco boost, not sluggish by any means.

squeezer

Reaction score
This nonsense all started when Obama took over General Motors, in increased the CAFE standards, and some retard “eco” engineer said “lets just put higher rear ends (lower number) in the pickup trucks.....they shouldn’t be towing those gas guzling boats anyway”. “Higher rear end means better gas mileage”......wrong! Higher rear end means higher manifold vacuume pressure means less power and more fuel burn.

So now they add 6 to 10 speed transmissions which just causes a loss in power with all those gears and another huge point of failure.

Funny, the D61 came out in the 70’s specifically accommodate tall gear sets in 3/4 ton pickups...

No wonder Obama became president, he was able to impact CAFE standards as a teenager!!!

BajaMike

Reaction score
Funny, the D61 came out in the 70’s specifically accommodate tall gear sets in 3/4 ton pickups...

No wonder Obama became president, he was able to impact CAFE standards as a teenager!!!

Funny, ha ha, Ive never seen a 70’s 3/4 ton Chevy with a tow package with anything but a 4.10.

Taboma

Reaction score
Are they now "only" 34's because you have been doing so many burnouts? :p

@ 34.4", I choose to round down, not up, lol :rolleyes: ;)

Hell, I've only owned it two years and I still don't know where the "Haul Ass" mode is ? Half the time unless I'm planning on towing, I'm only running a 50/50 mix of 87 and 91.
If I want to pee my pants a little, I just dust off the Hennessy Camaro. Get it out on some back road and find that every gardener and trash truck had the same idea. :mad:

I haven't done any 'racin' since I sold the Mega Monster back in 06' --- that little sumbitch was trying to kill my aging ass. :eek:

I don't race my damned 6K pound truck, I just surprise folks when they 'think' they're going to bust past on the right :rolleyes: :D

Taboma

Reaction score
^^^ LOF & Taboma. Want to see you two putting up a video, or STFU:p;):D:D

I'm old not necessarily stupid :) He's been going on about modding this, and flanging that, tunin up this and that --- and he's wants to race his STOCK truck o_O, ummmm
he's fibbin :p

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well of course you would because you own one and I believe it’s tuned lol. I bet the OPs truck would still drag a 6 speed 3.5 eco boost, not sluggish by any means.

No mine is still stock actually. His would probably be about even with a 6 speed variant, I guess. The 10 speed helps a lot, but even Ford put 4.10s in the Raptor, and it is still slightly slower than the standard truck. The point is that 37”s are a pretty large change.

At a minimum it will need a flash just to fix the speedo.