WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What benefits of leaving CA

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Traffic.
Liberal Democrat Legislation.
Highest Taxes ever. Over 70% of CA income goes to some form of taxes.
Massive immigration problems. Over 500,000 influx of illegal immigrants every year.
Worst state out of 50 for housing costs
Worst state out of 50 for businesses
Worst state for schools for your kids
High Crime Rate
Homeless coming from all 48 other states.
Overly expensive govt employees.
The bottom line is ... California will “never ever” get better. CA will continue to decline until it’s a only a dumping ground for “tax takers” all the tax producers will be forced to leave eventually.
GEEZ ... this list could go on forever ... BUT the #1 reason you should move is : You’ll be doing your kids the biggest favor of their life”
Most of your "worst state" comments are close. According to this link, your worst state for schools is off.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-10-worst-states-education-180112118.html

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Here are 12 benefits to leaving California right here : D

20191118_143230.jpg

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Traffic.
Massive immigration problems. Over 500,000 influx of illegal immigrants every year.
High Crime Rate
The bottom line is ... California will “never ever” get better. CA will continue to decline until it’s a only a dumping ground for “tax takers” all the tax producers will be forced to leave eventually.
GEEZ ... this list could go on forever ... BUT the #1 reason you should move is : You’ll be doing your kids the biggest favor of their life”
I thought there were 49 other states
Sorry, had to..........

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I get the benefit for someone retired. But are there benefits of for a working person. How bad would the wage reduction effect a person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My wife works in tech.
Makes more money in DFW than she did in LA...more opportunities, too.

She went from a contractor to a Director in a little over a year.

Depending on industry and other factors, YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Traffic.
High Crime Rate
Well Shit! I've lived in Ca for 50 years and never knew I was living in such a shit hole. Guess I better move. Please tell me California is at least better than Puerto Rico…..

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It's more beneficial for the younger people to move out of Ca. Is there a future for a good quality of life for the younger people or just the daily grind of working your ass off just to be a slave to an overpriced place to live? I graduated from Tesoro in 07 and lot of people I went to school with are no longer in Ca but are living a nice life elsewhere. The people that stayed are doing to daily grind just to make ends meet.
This right here!! Most of these older guys that have lived in California and have owned a house for more than 5 years really don't get how outta whack it's gotten in So Cal. My dad offered me the service manager job with partial company ownership in just a few years. I didn't take it though cause it's in LA. I couldn't afford to live ANYWHERE near the office that wasn't in a shit hole. Once you get away from living in traffic, it's not something you ever want to live with again.

It sucks cause personally I'd LOVE to go back to work for my dad and take over. But I just can't see everything being worth it.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
This right here!! Most of these older guys that have lived in California and have owned a house for more than 5 years really don't get how outta whack it's gotten in So Cal. My dad offered me the service manager job with partial company ownership in just a few years. I didn't take it though cause it's in LA. I couldn't afford to live ANYWHERE near the office that wasn't in a shit hole. Once you get away from living in traffic, it's not something you ever want to live with again.

It sucks cause personally I'd LOVE to go back to work for my dad and take over. But I just can't see everything being worth it.

He owns a HVAC company right? Prices are crazy for a new system compared to a few years ago my guy has almost doubled his prices. $12-16k for a new 3 to 5 ton system heat and air. If he is established that's like being handed a gold mine. I have 2 systems that need install this week and was thinking earlier if there was more hours in the day I need to take a class and learn it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
He owns a HVAC company right? Prices are crazy for a new system compared to a few years ago my guy has almost doubled his prices. $12-16k for a new 3 to 5 ton system heat and air. If he is established that's like being handed a gold mine. I have 2 systems that need install this week and was thinking earlier if there was more hours in the day I need to take a class and learn it.
Commercial. Not residential. Those price increases aren't profit increases. Those are costs increases. Equipment has gone through the roof, labor is FAR more expensive now for quality guys. The overhead for said labor (insurance in particular) is out of control as well. Then add in fuel, regulations, windshield time...... The big number ain't so big.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Commercial. Not residential. Those price increases aren't profit increases. Those are costs increases. Equipment has gone through the roof, labor is FAR more expensive now for quality guys. The overhead for said labor (insurance in particular) is out of control as well. Then add in fuel, regulations, windshield time...... The big number ain't so big.

I will check equipment prices when I pick them up from will call . I know equipment prices went up but not that much.

Not sure how the commercial side is. Just know what I used to pay compared to now with residential. I would not give up on the idea of taking over unless you have siblings to deal with working there also. You could always add a residential division and hit both markets.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I will check equipment prices when I pick them up from will call . I know equipment prices went up but not that much.

Not sure how the commercial side is. Just know what I used to pay compared to now with residential. I would not give up on the idea of taking over unless you have siblings to deal with working there also. You could always add a residential division and hit both markets.
Yeah..... Not gonna go into residential. Did it for 2 years.... Learned I do NOT want to do that anymore.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have neighbors that just listed their home. They found jobs in Colorado.
We’re all sad to see them leave. Best neighbors ever.

In a moment of weakness one of them told me they are under crushing debt and plan to use the homes equity to reset their financial lives out of Cali.

Dunno if they considered Cap gains taxes if they plan on using some of the equity to relieve that.

Probably have enough equity to eliminate a house payment in Colorado and deal with the debt load separately.

We’ll keep our paid off home here in Calif and establish residence in Nevada.
The fuel prices and no States income tax is just too good to pass up.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

In a moment of weakness one of them told me they are under crushing debt and plan to use the homes equity to reset their financial lives out of Cali.

Dunno if they considered Cap gains taxes if they plan on using some of the equity to relieve that.

Probably have enough equity to eliminate a house payment in Colorado and deal with the debt load separately.

Pretty much same reason we left. Huge medical debt from the bullshit Obamacare plan we had (only one we could afford each month) and a house payment that wasn't far off what rent was in the area but we could barely afford that. We were living in a house of cards that I could see collapsing very soon. So, made the toughest, yet I believe, best decision for the family and moved away from my heaven on Earth (Nacimiento). We're really close to being able to hit the reset button on our lives completely with FAR more upside here than we had in Paso Robles.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I took a 10% paycut changing jobs from San Diego to Tucson and after taxes I have more in my check... I’m super happy the sanctuary initiative failed miserably in the recent election.

It’s a slower pace, takes getting used to but it’s far less stress on the road.

Housing and gas of course as was mentioned. Nice to see young folks able to afford a home out here where you can buy a brand new home for under $300k.

Personal freedoms as was already mentioned. No need for the .gov to make decisions for us.

Its been nothing but a plus for me so far.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Pretty much same reason we left. Huge medical debt from the bullshit Obamacare plan we had (only one we could afford each month) and a house payment that wasn't far off what rent was in the area but we could barely afford that. We were living in a house of cards that I could see collapsing very soon. So, made the toughest, yet I believe, best decision for the family and moved away from my heaven on Earth (Nacimiento). We're really close to being able to hit the reset button on our lives completely with FAR more upside here than we had in Paso Robles.

Good for you . congrats.
25 years ago. We were in that cross roads. But decided , to stay .
Looking back. I wish we would of left.
Not that staying was a bad decision .
But change and new adventures , is part of life.

getoffmylawn

Reaction score

No capital gains tax if it’s been their primary residence for the last 2 yrs.

No capital gains tax on the house sale if it’s been their primary residence for at least 2 years (up to 250k if single, 500k if married). And if profit is above those amounts, improvement costs invested in the property can be deducted to bring any taxable amount down. We went thru that when we left in ‘14

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I am baffled by those who think CA and AZ have good Mexican food.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
So cal has the best Mexican food. If you don’t agree, you haven’t gone to the right places. We basically live in Mexico. [emoji3]

Have you ever eaten at el Tapatio in Parachute CO?
If you don’t speak Spanish you’ll have to point at the menu.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
How’s it going over there John? Do you miss the west coast at all?
I miss my friends and the Mexican food. The benefits outweigh the bad. Cost to live here is cheap, low taxes, cheap gas and great boating. I'm lucky that I was able to cash out of CA. I now work for fun... Not for a living. Not having a corporate job with a great pension... My only option if I wanted to ever retire was to sell the business and houses. I'm only 54 but I needed to make a plan now.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Hopefully have some information tomorrow. Sent out a request to see what our works comp and auto insurance premiums will be in Texas. Will be interesting to see what the difference could be, hoping for the best.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Frankly, I just wanted to be home more often for my kids and wife. Work asked if I wanted to cover Dallas and Texas as a whole and still work from home when not visiting clients. Same job, know the area and state well enough. I’m not tied to a pension, a Union, or going to any specific place to “get away”. Living in Fresno area, the weather isn’t anything to brag about. In fact it sucks. So, to me and my family it’s worth the shot at trying something new. There’s many positives to moving, some negatives, some unknowns.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I miss my friends and the Mexican food. The benefits outweigh the bad. Cost to live here is cheap, low taxes, cheap gas and great boating. I'm lucky that I was able to cash out of CA. I now work for fun... Not for a living. Not having a corporate job with a great pension... My only option if I wanted to ever retire was to sell the business and houses. I'm only 54 but I needed to make a plan now.
I gave you guys 2 years before you would be back. Especially Di. Once you sold the Havasu House a couple months ago I knew you wouldn't be back. Helps that Kelsey and Eli, your grandson live there. How's Riley doing.

Last edited:

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
We feel the same way. It won’t be perfect, it’s an adventure.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck working through the process. The auto insurance quote I received from AAA Texas was $650 less a year than what we pay for same vehicles and coverage through CSAA (AAA Nor Cal/Utah/Nevada). AAA Texas is owned by Auto Club So Cal from what I've gathered. Homeowners Ins is $270 more but the house is way bigger in Texas. Real property tax is about the only thing I have been able to determine as being measurably higher in Texas (for my situation). Well, and Toll Roads (but I like the scenic routes anyway).

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I hope it works out for you. Good luck working through the process. The auto insurance quote I received from AAA Texas was $650 less a year than what we pay for same vehicles and coverage through CSAA (AAA Nor Cal/Utah/Nevada). AAA Texas is owned by Auto Club So Cal from what I've gathered. Homeowners Ins is $270 more but the house is way bigger in Texas. Real property tax is about the only thing I have been able to determine as being measurably higher in Texas (for my situation). Well, and Toll Roads (but I like the scenic routes anyway).
Toll road in Texas without a pass was $45 this Summer towing my boat. When I received the bill I thought it was a mistake. No mistake about it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
48% Californians pull a paycheck.
52% on public assistance but latest info reports more like 55%.

RodnJen

Reaction score
48% Californians pull a paycheck.
52% on public assistance but latest info reports more like 55%.

How is public assistance defined? A link would be helpful if you have it. Analyzing data and trends is part of my job and this stuff fascinates me.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Yeah..... Not gonna go into residential. Did it for 2 years.... Learned I do NOT want to do that anymore.

If you come out here to AZ to run a HVAC business you really don't have to learn much of anything besides pass the test to become a licensed contractor. HVAC has gone the route of drywall, roofing, stucco/paint etc... You just need the phone numbers of a couple of unlicensed "installers" who work on piece work installations. They do all the dirty work up in the attics etc.. You sell the unit and show up with a set of fake gauges when all the work is done and collect the check....

So that is sort of the irony.. you leave CA to get away from all the over regulation and illegals. Because CA has made it harder for all that shady stuff to take place that was going on 15 years ago... Then come to AZ to run your legit business and can't figure out why you are constantly being under bid. You find out that in AZ without the resources to regulate and enforce all the stuff that was eliminated in CA is standard business out here. I.E. lots of contractors rolling 2-3 employee through workmans comp while fielding a 25 man piece work operation all cash...

On the plus side. Governor Ducey remove the skills test for contractor reciprocity, so all you have to do now is pass the business test. Which is of course bringing the best and most ethical bunch of new contractors into the state from CA and NV etc.. (ozzzing sarcasm and irony).

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Same here...

New Mexico kicks their ass for authentic Mexican food.
Just like everyother country in the world, Mexico has different food trends in different areas of the country. Sonoran style food is VERY different than Baja style etc.... Generally speaking, the more traditional Baja style Mexican food appeals to far more people's tastes.
If you come out here to AZ to run a HVAC business you really don't have to learn much of anything besides pass the test to become a licensed contractor. HVAC has gone the route of drywall, roofing, stucco/paint etc... You just need the phone numbers of a couple of unlicensed "installers" who work on piece work installations. They do all the dirty work up in the attics etc.. You sell the unit and show up with a set of fake gauges when all the work is done and collect the check....

So that is sort of the irony.. you leave CA to get away from all the over regulation and illegals. Because CA has made it harder for all that shady stuff to take place that was going on 15 years ago... Then come to AZ to run your legit business and can't figure out why you are constantly being under bid. You find out that in AZ without the resources to regulate and enforce all the stuff that was eliminated in CA is standard business out here. I.E. lots of contractors rolling 2-3 employee through workmans comp while fielding a 25 man piece work operation all cash...

On the plus side. Governor Ducey remove the skills test for contractor reciprocity, so all you have to do now is pass the business test. Which is of course bringing the best and most ethical bunch of new contractors into the state from CA and NV etc.. (ozzzing sarcasm and irony).
Yet another reason why I won't do residential and why I am always very skeptical about HVAC installations in new tract homes.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I gave you guys 2 years before you would be back. Especially Di. Once you sold the Havasu House a couple months ago I knew you wouldn't be back. Helps that Kelsey and Eli, your grandson live there. How's Riley doing.

Riley is having a blast at App State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I can name 2 decent Mexican food Joints in LA.
I’ve eaten at countless.
Manuel’s and Ciros on Evergreen.

Yet to find anything close and never anyplace better.

Worst is “where you been?” Max’s.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
How is public assistance defined? A link would be helpful if you have it. Analyzing data and trends is part of my job and this stuff fascinates me.

My point is Socialism is feeding on itself and is unsustainable.

Liberals hope it collapses our freedoms and economy leading to a something for nothing Utopia.

It’ll just bring bloodshed and horror far beyond anything Hollywood has depicted or The Bible describes.

You can’t reason with a Democrat.
All a bunch of phony Kennedy’s. All of them.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
I highly doubt a skilled tradesman is making 17/hr out of state unless it's in some bfe corner of Montana
My 21 yr old college student is getting paid $25 hr in Bozeman.

jet496

Reaction score
How can that even be possible, eliminating the skills test for becoming a contractor when skills are everything in a trade. Good Lord, it's becoming a shitshow as us older contractor start retiring. LOL.

That being said, California just makes up laws that are not only worthless but also hurt the very cause they are trying to help.

RodnJen

Reaction score
My point is Socialism is feeding on itself and is unsustainable.

Liberals hope it collapses our freedoms and economy leading to a something for nothing Utopia.

It’ll just bring bloodshed and horror far beyond anything Hollywood has depicted or The Bible describes.

You can’t reason with a Democrat.
All a bunch of phony Kennedy’s. All of them.

Thanks.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
How can that even be possible, eliminating the skills test for becoming a contractor when skills are everything in a trade. Good Lord, it's becoming a shitshow as us older contractor start retiring. LOL.

That being said, California just makes up laws that are not only worthless but also hurt the very cause they are trying to help.
To be fair, i have never even heard of a skills section failure, lots fail the laws section.