Radius Arms - Canned Ham

hallett21

Reaction score
Alright I wanna know about the prop you’re machining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
These things take some of the sport out of it.. lol.

Way faster thank I’ll ever need to go in the desert.

97025017-F360-4A4D-ABC3-5B67C7B07F42.jpeg
50316721-F86F-4533-BEDF-F7FB216988DB.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
Looks great with some dirt on it!

cheers!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
That works really good on the street in small amounts. You absolutely need some rear toe in to keep it from wandering under acceleration.
Try aiming the fronts out about a total of 1/2” before your next decent distance dirt ride. Car will turn twice as hard and track straighter everywhere else.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
With the stronger radius rods you need to keep a few extra center rod knuckle bolts. Now that your center rod wont fail the bolt is next in line to fail. Seems to happen to someone when I'm riding with a group of 40 cars on the annual winter and spring runs.
Screenshot_20191122-185032_Chrome.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Try aiming the fronts out about a total of 1/2” before your next decent distance dirt ride. Car will turn twice as hard and track straighter everywhere else.

Yea that will rip in the dirt.. those tires will be howling on the street though :). I have about 1/4” toe out up front on my RZR now, which is quite a bit more than stock.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
With the stronger radius rods you need to keep a few extra center rod knuckle bolts. Now that your center rod wont fail the bolt is next in line to fail. Seems to happen to someone when I'm riding with a group of 40 cars on the annual winter and spring runs. View attachment 819326

Can it be replaced with an ARP bolt or something? Or will the hub break then?

Oh those Canned Hams :).

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Your rhino ran 50?
Shocking but yes. Clocked it going 56 a couple of times on GPS on the stoddard Wells and rasor rd's main road. I dumped a ton of fucking money into that thing to make it what it was

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Yea that will rip in the dirt.. those tires will be howling on the street though :). I have about 1/4” toe out up front on my RZR now, which is quite a bit more than stock.
Well i use 1/2” but I’m also 91” wide on 35’s. But yea once you go toe out it’s hard to toe in ever again.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well i use 1/2” but I’m also 91” wide on 35’s. But yea once you go toe out it’s hard to toe in ever again.

In my fleet, if it has solid arm bushings, it gets toad out in front :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Shocking but yes. Clocked it going 56 a couple of times on GPS on the stoddard Wells and rasor rd's main road. I dumped a ton of fucking money into that thing to make it what it was

Mine hit like 48 GPS on flat ground. Stock motor and exhaust. It felt like I was doing 100 lol.

Icky

Reaction score
I always heard toe in up front tracks straighter, not as twitchy on the steering. Toe out the opposite

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I always heard toe in up front tracks straighter, not as twitchy on the steering. Toe out the opposite

It will track straight with either toe in or out. Toe out is more aggressive on initial turn in.

If you have a stock vehicle with compliant bushings the car will gain toe out under braking, which can make the car feel unsettled or twitchy. This is why most cars are set up with slight toe in.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Asphalt vs Dirt.

Same rules apply, just in less quantity. 1/16”- 1/8” toe out on a sports car feels amazing.

I run 1/16” toe out in the front of my Mazda and 3/16” rear toe in.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Mine hit like 48 GPS on flat ground. Stock motor and exhaust. It felt like I was doing 100 lol.
I could never get it up to speed on pavement. It always felt like it was struggling to cycle the belt through the sheave. That little bit of give I'd get from the silt on hard pack made a night and day difference.
I had a new wet clutch slugged and installed. Machined Hunterworks sheave shimmed with 15g rollers... Purple secondary on slippery washers. Dynatek cdi, alba exhaust, rejetted......... I did everything short of throwing a big bore on it lol
And yes it was terrifying. It didn't help that I had quarter doors so it always felt like I was going to fly out

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I could never get it up to speed on pavement. It always felt like it was struggling to cycle the belt through the sheave. That little bit of give I'd get from the silt on hard pack made a night and day difference.
I had a new wet clutch slugged and installed. Machined Hunterworks sheave shimmed with 15g rollers... Purple secondary on slippery washers. Dynatek cdi, alba exhaust, rejetted......... I did everything short of throwing a big bore on it lol
And yes it was terrifying. It didn't help that I had quarter doors so it always felt like I was going to fly out

I had the hunterworks sheave setup same as you, stock wet clutch not slugged, Dynatek CDI, intake, and jetted carb. I had narrow 9 inch tires and wheels all around which helped a lot. I never did a top end run in the dirt, but it would do 40 easily.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Cutting off the diffuser ring it looks like.

That’s a little nerve-wracking firing up the lathe with a prop chucked up in it lol.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Of all the times one might not want to get tangled up in the lathe..:eek:

Glad you are getting out in the shop a little. It really is good therapy. :cool:
8019c2c6-811c-45bc-82bc-b448ea52ec12-jpeg.819345

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
I guess the wrench will come in 2 weeks? :p
Can I ask what you were doing there Dave?
Using the cuttoff?

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
RD has out river’d the River.
Question: RD how old are you?
Answer: Yes.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
7146A5A1-5B43-48BF-BF98-D2D071724BF2.jpeg
E58DFD9F-2860-4D2A-9285-AF8DE35A8896.jpeg

I walked into Kolbe Cycles sales when the Rhino first appeared on the showroom floor.
About the same time the YFZ 450 hit.
I bought a couple of YFZs and my GF at the time said the Rhino will be a big hit.

I though it was a hunters vehicle and didn’t see it coming.

Then, we were having a drink at the Glamis Beach bar and a couple drove up in a Rzr 800.
“We sold our Raptors after our last trip with the Rzr we like it so much better” they told us.

So, that week I bought a 800 and had 5” outside offset beadlocker wheels spun.

YcUr4lX.jpg

They ran really good for a 800. I let all the guys in our dune group drive it all they wanted.

Was almost the only guy at DUMONT with a Rzr for awhile. Certainly with offset beadlockers and paddle tires.
SXSs have been a great addition to the world of off-roading.

The popularity has for sure helped in efforts to keep riding areas open. More support. Way more participation.

I was drinking late last night with Neil, the owner of the Joint in Randsberg.
“SXSs have really increased interest in off roading.
We rarely had girls in here but now women are 25% of our business” Neil told us.

It’s the only bar my wife likes to go to.

BTW never take women in there the Friday after Thanksgiving. 3 bouncers working and they have their hands full. Good chance fists will fly.

Neil and Hollie actively attempting to buy the Whitehouse. The old buzzard owner will sell the business only with 1 year lease on the dirt it sits on.

Grandfathering in health code requirements expired a few years back.
Neil showed us the math and only an idiot would take that deal.

Last edited:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
So what’s the story on the prop?

Cutting off the diffuser ring it looks like.

That’s a little nerve-wracking firing up the lathe with a prop chucked up in it lol.
I'm in the "fine tuning" stages of getting my boat squared away. Dave did me a solid and trimmed an inch off the prop tube.

I'm going to go run it after breakfast.

buck35

Reaction score
And the results are?
Years ago my buddy shaved his beard off one day and his little girl asked him to shave it back on .:D I always think of that when trimming things .:cool::)

Headless hula

Reaction score
Does that count as trying a different prop?:D
It's a whole different animal. Boat ran 82 with 3 guys and ~30 gallons of gas.
Handled fine, however it seems to have developed a very small midrange porpoise that wasnt there before.

I'm going to run it again in the morning alone, and see if it's still there, or if the additional weight was causing it.

C08H18

Reaction score
It's a whole different animal. Boat ran 82 with 3 guys and ~30 gallons of gas.
Handled fine, however it seems to have developed a very small midrange porpoise that wasnt there before.

What was you baseline- speed/weight

I’ve been told the mod will lift the ass of the boat. That may create some porpoising. I’m going to try it soon - same prop, 30p

Headless hula

Reaction score

I’ve been told the mod will lift the ass of the boat. That may create some porpoising. I’m going to try it soon - same prop, 30p

A long tube will actually provide stern lift in a surfacing application. Its essentially another running surface that is "riding" on the water. A long tube will also act as a "wheelie bar", limiting how much trim can be put into the boat. In my specific application, I'm trying to accomplish 2 things. Lose the drag from the extra length of the tube, and allow the boat to carry the bow a tiny bit higher, (also reducing drag, by having less boat in the water)...

I am so close to having this setup perfect, I'm afraid that this one little change may have been too drastic. I'll go run it again in the morning and see what's up. I may wind up welding it back on, and only trimming 5/8" off it. Time will tell. :D

Headless hula

Reaction score

In this pic, I'm trimmed up just a tick above neutral trim. When I set up the simrad, I was able to "calibrate" to my desired settings. Using a straight edge, projecting a line from the boat bottom to the cav plate, theres approximately 3/8" of difference front to back. I have this set as my "zero" point. I always know exactly where my trim is at at a glance. The rest is "ass-o-graph".... you can see where the spray is coming off the boat, and you can actually feel it "free up".

IMG_9361 (1).JPG

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
So did you make the wrench Dave?

LOL.. Hula getting all technical and shit. ^^^^
:D:cool:

C08H18

Reaction score
In this pic, I'm trimmed up just a tick above neutral trim. When I set up the simrad, I was able to "calibrate" to my desired settings. Using a straight edge, projecting a line from the boat bottom to the cav plate, theres approximately 3/8" of difference front to back.

View attachment 819660

The spray off the step looks pretty good in that pic.

I need to do the same straight edge calibration. Maybe tomorrow. My boat is up in NorCal (delta). I run 1/4trim up for best overall performance right now which is likely the same as your neutral. I can trim up further without much affect on bow rise and definitely slows me down.