WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1974 Eliminator 2 step 21 Daycruiser

Jambbii

Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger on my first boat. Supposedly it has a bad knock in the bottom end. 454, Casale V and Velvet drive trans. It has been painted once and it is in need of a repaint again. My plan is to get it mechanically sound and see how the family likes it.

What does everyone like for cubes on the big blocks? I was thinking 496 and a tunnel ram.

I want to redo all the hydraulic and water lines. I have used plenty of braided stuff on drag cars and such but is there a rule of thumb for material for boats?

So at one time it looked like it has a hydraulic cylinder that operated the cav plates. Is this necessary? They are just stationary now.

And one more random question...what does everyone prefer for boat covers? I am in Az if that matters.

Thanks,

Josh

sintax

Reaction score
like anything, cubic inches in king in a big heavy cruiser like that, a big fat flat torque curve never hurts either. Tunnel rams kind of suck because you usually lose your deck. I'd personally just go through the 454 you have, see what you're working with. If its good parts, steel crank and rods, maybe put together a nice 10:1 with some forged pistons and a cam well suited to the application. You'll likely have 2x the money you expect to tie up in it, the heads are what killed my last build price wise.

nothing special on braided lines, normal AN / braided is what most people run.

Jambbii

Reaction score
like anything, cubic inches in king in a big heavy cruiser like that, a big fat flat torque curve never hurts either. Tunnel rams kind of suck because you usually lose your deck. I'd personally just go through the 454 you have, see what you're working with. If its good parts, steel crank and rods, maybe put together a nice 10:1 with some forged pistons and a cam well suited to the application. You'll likely have 2x the money you expect to tie up in it, the heads are what killed my last build price wise.

nothing special on braided lines, normal AN / braided is what most people run.

Thanks! I have some friends that owe me favors that have a lot of bbc parts laying around. I am a mopar guy so a lot of the chevy stuff is new to me but what I can tell is that the block is pretty standard issue 1974-90 casting. I have a few different head castings to choose from but I just might pony up and grab some new ones.

sintax

Reaction score
I'd also recommend jumping over to the forum on Performance Boats. They have the most active v-drive forum that i'm aware of, with the most knowledge on tap. I'd spin over there and do some research.

I'd prob look for some 049 heads if you can find some, they are some good ovals that would work well with that displacement and can take some large valves if you want to open them up some to flow more. I would do a little homework on that hull as well. I dont know how many different v-drive cruiser hulls that eliminator has made, but I do know one of them had some pretty interesting handling characteristics north of 70mph. I dont think you'll be in that area based on the above convo, but better to understand some of the potential situations.

As far as the plates go, i'd really look at setting the up properly if you can afford it. Sounds like it was already setup for a hydraulic ram at some point. It is nice having control over the plates.

Sleek Chode

Reaction score
I have A 1969 11:0.1 427 BBC for sale. Complete engine minus the logs and water pump or anything you don’t want. I rebuilt it last summer, 26 hours on it and want a pump gas motor for my sleek. I run 91 octane plus boostane to get it to 100, I’m asking $5000. It’s in the boat and you can hear it run, PM me if you are interested or have questions. I can give you all the build details I know.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I'd also recommend jumping over to the forum on Performance Boats. They have the most active v-drive forum that i'm aware of, with the most knowledge on tap. I'd spin over there and do some research.

I'd prob look for some 049 heads if you can find some, they are some good ovals that would work well with that displacement and can take some large valves if you want to open them up some to flow more. I would do a little homework on that hull as well. I dont know how many different v-drive cruiser hulls that eliminator has made, but I do know one of them had some pretty interesting handling characteristics north of 70mph. I dont think you'll be in that area based on the above convo, but better to understand some of the potential situations.

As far as the plates go, i'd really look at setting the up properly if you can afford it. Sounds like it was already setup for a hydraulic ram at some point. It is nice having control over the plates.

I've also heard about "interesting handling characteristics above 70 mph".

My sled never got close to that, best of 61 mph on the river. Just a warmed over 454/jet set-up. (Ride plate, no cav plates.)

Dan'l

Jambbii

Reaction score

Thanks! My neighbor has some 049s that he offered to me for free.

Probably won't head north of 70 but who knows...

I found the ram for the plates under once of the seats. Might look into putting it back together.

Jambbii

Reaction score
With the parts he has, at least a 496.

Dan'l

For me not knowing a ton about chevy stuff I would at least like to use this block to its full potential.... if that means more cubes then I am alright with spending some more money.