WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ceramic tile install price

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Got L shape kitchen into laundry. 230 Sf. I buy everything. How much for labor only install and using your own wet saw. 16”x16” tiles

NicPaus

Reaction score
Slab or raised? Grout joint size?

I would recommend porcelain tile for floor.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Also depends on prep. I have seen floors that are perfect, i have also seem them needing full grinding and fill.

Generally prices start at $4, and go up. 16s with no gridning and only a small ammount of fill with moderate grout lines should be about 6

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I'll tell ya a story... I hope you don't take it personally... but.....

from a Roofing Contractor "ME"

potential client calls, asking for a residential roof replacement quote. Requests their quote be broken down 3 ways.. Material, Labor, roof tearoff.

Ok, no problem, I'll be over tomorrow before 9am.

Client proceeds to tell me he has had multiple quotes all ranging all over the place... some have higher material costs, some their labor costs are higher and then some the roof tearoff quotes are higher.

I agreed with him, then told him it all depended where the contractor applied their O/P.... they might not of broken down their quote three ways with there O/P... or they placed all their O/P in the materials, or labor or roof tearoff.. who knows ??

he then proceeds to tell me.... ya I can't believe some of these contractors.... they are adding O/P to the roof tearoff which they normally sub out... they don't even personally complete the tear off, and they want $$$$$ O/P for not doing anything....

OHHHH REALLY!!!!.. I can't believe that!!!!! he agrees, I KNOW WTF!!!

I then tell me H/O.... you know what..... you can actually call a local roof tearoff company and schedule your roof tearoff.... then proceed to City Hall and get a City permit as owner builder.... then head over to the local H.D. and purchase all the required roofing materials... then on you way out... hired a few professional roofing installers that are in the parking lot to install your new roof....
the ex-potential client then starts back stepping saying, no, no, no I need a Roofing professional to install my new Roof...

I said...No Thank you ... good luck....

anyways, Contractors have Overhead, Employees, insurance (WC, liability, vehicle, umbrellas, smog, etc), equipment, vehicles, tools. it is expensive to operate a Business...

its very likely your labor quote just might include O/P on the complete job cost.

Good Luck with your project.

Last edited:

RichL

Reaction score
Who accepts responsibility for any warranty related issues that might arise including labor for same?
FWIW I have no personal involvement with this but before I retired I turned down numerous jobs over the years for this reason. Good luck with your job.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Slab or raised? Grout joint size?

I would recommend porcelain tile for floor.
Slab ...1/4" grout.......why porcelain? less apt to crack? Never did this before so I had no idea what ballpark figures are. Quote I got is $3.40 sf so now I know from other replies I'm doing ok. Thank you!

Havalife

Reaction score
16x16 in 230' L shape is nothing but cuts, Not an easy lay then what tile is it. I have had a lot of issues with Crap tiles, humps on corners and dips in center, not square, as an example.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Go with the 3.40 but check multiple references and see at least 1 job the installer did.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Slab ...1/4" grout.......why porcelain? less apt to crack? Never did this before so I had no idea what ballpark figures are. Quote I got is $3.40 sf so now I know from other replies I'm doing ok. Thank you!
Porcelain is stronger than ceramic less likely to chip. 1/4" is easy I prefer 1/8" looks better.
$3.40 is half of what I would start at. If there work is good that's a good price.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Porcelain is stronger than ceramic less likely to chip. 1/4" is easy I prefer 1/8" looks better.
$3.40 is half of what I would start at. If there work is good that's a good price.

Fuck...I should start setting tile if I can talk people into paying $7/ft for floor work. The pro I hired to do my kitchen before I new better did 100sq/ft in less than an hour. I did my 40sq/ft bathroom floor (lots of cuts, set on a 45°) in about 3 hours...1/16" joints, and you can slide a bucket across it.

The Prisoner

Reaction score

Thanks for the info!:)

NicPaus

Reaction score
20191113_173016.jpg
20191113_173016.jpg
Fuck...I should start setting tile if I can talk people into paying $7/ft for floor work. The pro I hired to do my kitchen before I new better did 100sq/ft in less than an hour. I did my 40sq/ft bathroom floor (lots of cuts, set on a 45°) in about 3 hours...1/16" joints, and you can slide a bucket across it.
Depends on the grout joint. I used 1/4" in this laundry room last week. Been a long time since I did a floor all by myself. Had to see if I still got it. I did it as a freebie upgrade from the lvp we are using in the rest of the house that will be for sale shortly. With getting sidetracked several times spent less than 2 hours on it. I got 2 pallets of that tile on a deal. I even grouted almost all of it before one of the guys showed up and finished it. I hate grouting tile I don't mind throwing down.

It used to be around $3 a ft. I paid a installer $6 not long ago.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Thanksgiving and Xmas are hardcore flooring time frames. I really can't think of a busier time. Having all the fam and guests over seems to spike the average consumer. Jan to march is a slowdown period and better deals are to be had.
Don't plan stuff around Mothers day as well. Very busy time to impress Mom.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
If you buy the tile from a retail tile/material store (not Home Depot or Lowes) .... For example in Phoenix, it would be someone like "Imperial wholesale" or "Tanner Materials" etc. etc.. Just ask them for someone off the installer list. They refer installers directly who they work with in high volume. There is no warranty through the supplier and they are all unlicensed for the most part, but they gladly hand out the installers to sell their tile in volumes. They take a small referral kick back that you never see, but the per foot installation is dead on market. Its one step above cold calling an installer off of craigslist (which isn't necessarily bad)...

fmo24

Reaction score
I asked this a few years ago and got the impression tile guys like to buy their own tile as it allows a bit of margin to them outside of labor.

500bbc

Reaction score

potential client calls, asking for a residential roof replacement quote. Requests their quote be broken down 3 ways.. Material, Labor, roof tearoff.

Client proceeds to tell me he has had multiple quotes all ranging all over the place... some have higher material costs, some their labor costs are higher and then some the roof tearoff quotes are higher.

I agreed with him, then told him it all depended where the contractor applied their O/P.... they might not of broken down their quote three ways with there O/P... or they placed all their O/P in the materials, or labor or roof tearoff.. who knows ??

he then proceeds to tell me.... ya I can't believe some of these contractors.... they are adding O/P to the roof tearoff which they normally sub out... they don't even personally complete the tear off, and they want $$$$$ O/P for not doing anything....

I then tell me H/O.... you know what..... you can actually call a local roof tearoff company and schedule your roof tearoff.... then proceed to City Hall and get a City permit as owner builder.... then head over to the local H.D. and purchase all the required roofing materials... then on you way out... hired a few professional roofing installers that are in the parking lot to install your new roof....
the ex-potential client then starts back stepping saying, no, no, no I need a Roofing professional to install my new Roof...

anyways, Contractors have Overhead, Employees, insurance (WC, liability, vehicle, umbrellas, smog, etc), equipment, vehicles, tools. it is expensive to operate a Business...

its very likely your labor quote just might include O/P on the complete job cost.

My P&O are broken out separately, "client" never heard of such a thing and the O must be removed, all while her mom was trying to rub her tits on me as a negotiating ploy.

500bbc

Reaction score
That's $800.00 to set, grout and seal.:rolleyes:

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
My P&O are broken out separately, "client" never heard of such a thing and the O must be removed, all while her mom was trying to rub her tits on me as a negotiating ploy.
Pics or it didn't happen... LOL

NicPaus

Reaction score
I just checked my bid for a kitchen we are doing $2250 they pay for tile.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
shit..I got one more...
I did a room addition for a client (realtor, problem one, I didn't say that out loud did I??? LOL)...no problems... paid in full. he likes the job.... requested another quote to replace his cricket. $2,500 quote. (2 mil house in NB) 15 years later he calls me.... Rick!!! I remember his voice like it was yesterday... hey Michael.... he tells he now wants to do the cricket.. also informs me construction business is on tough times...????? not me but anywho... asked if I can revisit his quote... I say sure.. I'll call you tomorrow.... after review... I'll be a good guy and hold my 15 year quote... LOL
he says, Rick the quote is still a little high... LOL... I say Michael how much you wanna pay... he say, he'll buy the materials... how much labor will I charge... I say... Michael you cant afford me, but I can give it to my foreman... he says.. what will he charge... I tell him... $500 ($250 per man, this is 2000)..
he tells me... well, I gotta a quote for $250... will they do it for that..
F!! Michael why even call me... he says, I was hoping you'd still be in business, you do GREAT work...

Micheal, if I charged $250, I would't last too long in business... plus, I wouldn't even start my truck up for $250... call me in 3 years when his work fails and is no where to be found....

sorry OP... I didn't mean to post my BS...

Happy Thanksgiving...

Good luck with your project

RichL

Reaction score
I asked this a few years ago and got the impression tile guys like to buy their own tile as it allows a bit of margin to them outside of labor.
I preferred to direct my clients to one of my suppliers who I knew sold first line product. It helped to avoid warranty and fitment related issues often encountered with some of the discount product so many want to buy.

500bbc

Reaction score
shit..I got one more...
I did a room addition for a client (realtor, problem one, I didn't say that out loud did I??? LOL)...no problems... paid in full. he likes the job.... requested another quote to replace his cricket. $2,500 quote. (2 mil house in NB) 15 years later he calls me.... Rick!!! I remember his voice like it was yesterday... hey Michael.... he tells he now wants to do the cricket.. also informs me construction business is on tough times...????? not me but anywho... asked if I can revisit his quote... I say sure.. I'll call you tomorrow.... after review... I'll be a good guy and hold my 15 year quote... LOL
he says, Rick the quote is still a little high... LOL... I say Michael how much you wanna pay... he say, he'll buy the materials... how much labor will I charge... I say... Michael you cant afford me, but I can give it to my foreman... he says.. what will he charge... I tell him... $500 ($250 per man, this is 2000)..
he tells me... well, I gotta a quote for $250... will they do it for that..
F!! Michael why even call me... he says, I was hoping you'd still be in business, you do GREAT work...

Micheal, if I charged $250, I would't last too long in business... plus, I wouldn't even start my truck up for $250... call me in 3 years when his work fails and is no where to be found....

sorry OP... I didn't mean to post my BS...

Happy Thanksgiving...

Good luck with your project
Fer fuks sake. Water damage duplex in Fairfax district, very nice property. Client and wife have to use their own cabinet contractor because he walks on water and shits fairy dust. I say no, it will not end well, never does. He promises to pay ne me full P&O as if he knows what the fuck that is so, being a nice guy I agree but sign this first. He gives him $30,000.00 and the fukwad disappears for six weeks until I bring in someone I know that can find anyone. The DB is at his mom's house, just off his second divorce and his truck doesn't move until after 10:00 in the morning if at all. He hangs the job up 4.5 months, client doesn't listen to a word of advice during the process, job is fucked up and he doesn't want to pay me because I didn't get the fukwad to perform.:D Then there is the window company he hired to change out every window in a 1930's Spanish style residence and the clown doesn't know shit from shinola. "Hey, can you fix this guys work?". NO!!!!! I told you not to let him do what he said he was going to. :D:D:D

getreal

Reaction score

20191119_113107.jpg