WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prime Rib

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score
What is your go to method?

I have done the Treager Method, but this year doing (Method X) 500 degrees at 5min per pound and rest for about 2 hours, goal of internal temp 125 degrees.

HBCraig

Reaction score
What is your go to method?

but this year doing (Method X) 500 degrees at 5min per pound and rest for about 2 hours, goal of internal temp 125 degrees.

This, but I add about another 4-5 minutes for those at the table that arent dead set on medium rare.

Works great. I season it with some Lawry's

DWC

Reaction score
We usually do the 500 degree sear and turn it off. Love it except for when crap spills and the smoke starts. I did a test fire on the Traeger yesterday and liked it for a change up. Did the sear on the BBQ and finished it off on the Traeger. We’ll see what the wife decides on the Xmas prime rib.

rvrrun

Reaction score
611688F5-9E81-4E5D-B85C-31BD6A85BDE9.jpeg
I let Costco handle it for me, I love these things. I’ll try to remember an after pic when it comes out of the oven.

Xring01

Reaction score
B184B775-84E5-47ED-8328-361569EAADEC.jpeg
CD3BB26A-3F9E-45E9-862F-76E3382BA423.jpeg
8FF3EF2E-E24C-4376-8F9F-489F4B19B97F.jpeg
90DFA343-EEF4-4530-A0AA-8DF08CC7F499.jpeg
AD308DA4-61A6-488E-BE49-56F80AD865DD.jpeg
6AB12E57-72F1-41E4-B842-0B7FE72806EA.jpeg

Here are some pics of my last prime rib and I am planning one for Xmas dinner

Smoke and Reverse sear... is the way I prefer them.

Rub
Salt Pepper Paprika fresh garlic and fresh rosemary..

Rub it down 24 hours prior to cooking it..

I put it on the smoker with a couple of apple or cherry chunks, run the smoker at 275 is
Cook it to 125 degrees internal temp.

Crank up the temp to 450 ish, sear it about 3 minutes on all sides, which typically brings it to 135 ish...

Pull it off, foil tent it for half hour

serve it..

This year, I will serve it with mushroom, onions in a butter garlic cabernet savignon sauce... mashed taters, maybe brussell sprouts... or asparagus...

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score
Cut the meat off the bones, trim the excess fat, french the bones and tie back onto the bones.

Cover with Chinese Mustard, season with lemon garlic pepper, salt, and more pepper.

Stick temp monitor into middle of prime rib.

Put on any smoker, cheap to expensive, at 200 degrees.

Get drink and cigar, tell wife and others you are very busy with the roast and will be on the patio watching the roast to make sure it comes out right.

Watch football in peace.

Remove roast at 120 for rare plus, 125 for medium rare. Make certain to confirm temp with accurate meat probe.

Wrap tightly in aluminum foil, put in small cooler or wrap in towels for 30 minutes or until everyone gets the rest of the stuff done.

Open, cut strings, remove from bones, slice to desired pieces.

Do dishes by hand for two hours because someone always wants to use the china.... :(

3 bone roast typically takes about 3 hours, a 5 bone roast typically takes about 3:30.

cakemoto

Reaction score
I did one yesterday while my parents are in town. 400 for 45 min then 300 for 2 hours then sat for 40 min it was med -well. Not bad for my first one very good

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score
Cut the meat off the bones, trim the excess fat, french the bones and tie back onto the bones.

Cover with Chinese Mustard, season with lemon garlic pepper, salt, and more pepper.

Get drink and cigar, tell wife and others you are very busy with the roast and will be on the patio watching the roast to make sure it comes out right.

Watch football in peace.

Remove roast at 120 for rare plus, 125 for medium rare. Make certain to confirm temp with accurate meat probe.

Wrap tightly in aluminum foil, put in small cooler or wrap in towels for 30 minutes or until everyone gets the rest of the stuff done.

Do dishes by hand for two hours because someone always wants to use the china.... :(

3 bone roast typically takes about 3 hours, a 5 bone roast typically takes about 3:30.
Sounds great!

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/prime-rib-and-other-beef-roasts

For the oven:
  1. Cut off all excess fat including the silver skin
  2. Cut the bones off and save for gravy or cook separately
  3. Tie up the roast correctly - round shape
  4. Dry brine in the fridge for 6-24 hours
  5. Apply your favorite rub
  6. Put the roast in the oven straight from the fridge
  7. Make sure the roast is on a rack ABOVE the drip pan
  8. Low and slow 225 until its done 125-130 depending on your likes
  9. Reverse sear that bad boy
  10. Serve immediately. Don't rest it
  11. Its done when the temp is right (plan for carry over cooking)
  12. Use a quality meat temp gauge - remote
I do it the same way on the Weber Kettle. Indirect then sear on the hot side. I would likely add just a small amount of wood. Cherry or Alder would be my go to.

This site is not that easy to navigate but it always comes through. It will also completely debunk all of the urban legends regarding grilling and smoking meats.

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score
2CC00281-2F8F-4094-86EB-1517D74CA069.jpeg
Grabbed ours at costco today, why the f do the things cost so much? The cost makes it pretty stressful when you cook one if you screw it up.
They are pricey, but worth it. They have a bone in pork roast that’s damn good and not nearly the cost. We had that one Saturday night. New Year’s Eve we’ll do a chateaubriand. I hate the cold, but the food during the holidays is the best.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Mine will go in the smoker low and slow. Pull it at desired temp and let it rest in a cooler for an hour. Slice it up thin and away we go never disappointed. Don’t over think it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Times Like These

Reaction score
Picked up a prime rib from Hottinger’s in Chino. I’m going to try out the Sous Vide for 8 hours and then throw it in the oven for a quick sear. First time, hopefully it turns out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
Lookup "Method X Prime Rib". Usually 2 hours after turning oven off, do not open oven.
Last year I did a seven bone , method X, immediately after the 2 hours I sliced and served. Perfect med rare. A couple weeks earlier I hod done a 2 bone method X, also a perfect med rare. Very pleased with method X.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Deep fry that hunk o meat.

Oil at 325, 4 minutes a pound. pull it at 95 degrees and let it set under aluminum foil until 130. Delicious.

McKay

Reaction score
Sear first, 225 on smoker for 3ish hours. Pull at 115-120. Cover and let sit for 30 min.

KevinR

Reaction score

Watch football in peace.

I like your style!
Will use the 530 Method this New Years.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I just got this same one at Costco. I'm doing the 500 degree cook method, but how much rest time is needed after it is cooked?
I’ve only done the 500, then low and slow for 30/pound like the label reads. I’ve let it sit up to 30 mins, but have hot au jus to ladle over it.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Picked up a prime rib from Hottinger’s in Chino. I’m going to try out the Sous Vide for 8 hours and then throw it in the oven for a quick sear. First time, hopefully it turns out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I went to Hottingers the last 2 years. Their bone in prime rib is a farce. They simply sell you a boneless prime rib, them slap on rib bones on top of it. After you cook it and peel off the netting, the rib cap just falls off. Never again.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Grabbed ours at costco today, why the f do the things cost so much? The cost makes it pretty stressful when you cook one if you screw it up.

Yep they are expen$ive.

I cut the fat cap back and load it up with seasoning leave the fat cap on then olive oil and season the whole roast.
Put in a 500FDeg oven and cut it back to 185F all day long.
Cook until internal temp is 135F to 140F.

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Bought my filet at Costco last week $29.99 lb for 6lbs.

They were nearly picked clean of good looking filet when I cruised through this afternoon.

A good meat thermometer takes some of the stress out.

doc_texoma

Reaction score
great info here.. I was going to do my first this year but the peanut gallery decided it would be safer that my mom do it (as normal)... I will get a 3 boner and give it a shot in Jan or Feb.. Maybe for valentines day.. Saved lots of info from your various comments. Thank you!

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Method X works perfectly. Got a 10lb boneless this year.

Taboma

Reaction score
Method X sounds great, but having never tried it and have no idea how to compensate for the 'cool-down' oven fan during those 2 hours.
Any suggestions or work arounds ? Anybody tried just killing the breaker to keep the fan from coming on --- assuming I don't smoke the mother board doing that :eek::eek:
I've also read this method can fill your kitchen with smoke :eek: --- although ours is only a 2 rib so it wouldn't be cooking at 500 for long.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
just a little 9 lb here.
Still deciding on method. Oven or Traeger.
IMG_2890.jpg

Last edited:

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
Psssst.... Make your own horseradish. Super easy. Buy the root from the store, peel it, Cut into smaller pieces and throw into a blender. A little vinegar and water (the colder the better)
And doing Method X. works perfect every time. no over cooked parts

Xring01

Reaction score
I have never tried method X, cause I like that kiss of smoke on my prime rib..

Due to that, I will probably never try it... thats my stubborn ass.:cool:

Loo Dog

Reaction score
67BC1BFE-C437-4429-8249-ECE330A038A7.jpeg

$12/lb for USDA Choice grade is atrocious. Plus with those prepackaged deals you can’t even see anything to choose the best marbling. Stators, $3.99/lb. Dry brine for 24 hours then smoke low and slow, sear at the end and serve.

Singleton

Reaction score

No shit.
8lb USDA Prime rib roast at Tip Top Meat in Carlsbad was $185 when I picked it up today.
Cooking on the smoker Christmas day

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
No shit.
8lb USDA Prime rib roast at Tip Top Meat in Carlsbad was $185 when I picked it up today.
$19.99 lb at Cosctco. At least there is no tax charged on meat!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Watch football in peace.

This is exactly how I've always cooked one, nothing but raves from the people at the table every time.

They key is don't over cook it, no matter the technique.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Green Mountain 150 for two hrs let it absorb the smoke crank it up to 450* it starts getting hot pretty fast so watch it. Pull it at 125* wrap it put it in the cooler with a towel over it. It’s great when you have a cordless thermometer. Pull it at your desired fineness.i personally like med rare about 135* to 140*
03DE846C-BAAF-4263-AC95-145BF8662778.jpeg

Forgot to add I like just a salt and pepper crust on all sides.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
View attachment 827669 I let Costco handle it for me, I love these things. I’ll try to remember an after pic when it comes out of the oven.
I had been wondering if Costco sold good prime rib! I ordered one from a fancy online meat place, gonna make it Christmas Day.

a few weeks ago I wanted to try out my recipe, got a 5.5lb from a local meat market, reverse seared it to perfection, internal temp was 136 all said and done, but the meat was bleh. I think it was a shitty cut. It was only $36 so I think that’s my answer...

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Bought my filet at Costco last week $29.99 lb for 6lbs.

They were nearly picked clean of good looking filet when I cruised through this afternoon.

A good meat thermometer takes some of the stress out.
For a good meat thermometer get a Thermopop, best one I have ever had about 5 seconds or less to read temp.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
just a little 9 lb here.
Still deciding on method. Oven or Traeger.
View attachment 827767

I’m doing 2 of these, 9# each. Both on the treager, about 225 for 3 hours and I’ll adjust the heat towards the end. I’ll put one on 30 minutes after the first one, some like medium well & others like medium to medium rare. Always very good!!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
No shit.

you can buy the whole “prime” bone in for $12 and change per lb at Costco, comes out around $250. But have meat for days. Costco only sells the prime bone in 2x a year. Christmas and Mother’s Day.

dave29

Reaction score
Farm Fresh market, $6.99/lb. Bought an 8.5 pounder.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
For you Traeger guys how long do you do the reverse sear at the end?