WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SS Camaro

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Go drive one. If you can handle the coffin-like interior, they are good cars, and perform well.

A better all around car is the 2011 5.0 Mustang. The Camaro will be a slightly faster and better handling car stock for stock.

I wouldn’t bother with the 98-02s, unless you are going to let it sit in your garage for another 10-15 years.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Go drive one. If you can handle the coffin-like interior, they are good cars, and perform well.

I wouldn’t bother with the 98-02s, unless you are going to let it sit in your garage for another 10-15 years.
Which one?? The 2002 or the 2010/2011??

My dad had a 1994 Z28. I remember how cramped the back seat was.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Which one?? The 2002 or the 2010/2011??

My dad had a 1994 Z28. I remember how cramped the back seat was.

The 02 is the same as the 94, just different headlights and engine. I’d go with the 2010/2011 if you are gonna drive it.. The interior is a little weird on them and I hated the teardrop shaped steering wheel. They are fast though and handle well. Just drive it first.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Make sure that Grandpa is able to get in and out of it before you buy.

FaceApp_1563334418734 - Edited (1).jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Get a G8 GT, Chevy SS if you can get with the sleeper styling, or a CTSV if the budget allows. You have 5 kids yo....

Might as well have a comfortable hot rod with 4 doors and a usable width trunk. And if your wondering what I mean about trunk lid width......take another look at that Camaro trunk lid!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The first car I ever bought was a 1995 Z-28 Convertible.
So, I have a chub for the old body style.
But
$16K for an 02 seems a little high to me.

Just my 2cents

FT

The late LS F bodies have started to hold value. If you were just gonna buy it and rarely drive it, you would not lose much money.

The 5th gen is near the bottom of the depreciation curve... buy it and have fun with it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Get a G8 GT, Chevy SS if you can get with the sleeper styling, or a CTSV if the budget allows. You have 5 kids yo....

Might as well have a comfortable hot rod with 4 doors and a usable width trunk. And if your wondering what I mean about trunk lid width......take another look at that Camaro trunk lid!

Yea that sucks about the Camaro.. big trunk with a small opening lol.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The 02 is the same as the 94, just different headlights and engine. I’d go with the 2010/2011 if you are gonna drive it.. The interior is a little weird on them and I hated the teardrop shaped steering wheel. They are fast though and handle well. Just drive it first.
Mission Viejo Acura has a 2010 that I am going to look at and drive on Wednesday when I am out there. $16k with 56k on the clock. Seems a little high on price though.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Stick or auto? Worth checking out at least.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Check out Coke Trickles G8. That thing is sick. If it was me I would go with the cadi ctsv

boatpi

Reaction score
Drive a Mustang GT before you buy, those Camaros are like a coffin and the ride will shatter your teeth. My 2 cents, the Mustang GT continues to be the best bang for HP sold.

As I see it GM put $ into the engine, and that's it, Ford is always on top of Mustang R and D.

mswasey

Reaction score
upload_2020-1-6_8-5-40.jpeg
I have a ‘16 SS 8 speed auto, and love the car. All above statements are true however, coffin cockpit, rough (although selectable) ride, fast 455hp and handles great.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Magnetic ride control makes a huge improvement in around town ride on the Camaros now, visibility sucks but the rear view mirror isn’t a mirror any more, it’s a wide angle camera instead, it’s pretty trippy how it works but it works well, although you can’t fix your hair in the rear view mirror any more :)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
6th gen is a much nicer car if you can swing it. I would absolutely get a manual in the Camaro....

Maybe look for a clean 5th gen Zl1? Ton of car for the $$$ and it will hold its value better down the line. 5th gen SS manual is a fast car and should be cheap I just hate the interior and how cramped it is.

The 4th gen looks clean and super low mileage but the fact thats it's an auto kills the value.

Clean un molested 4th gen firehawks, WS6 and SS's in manual will continue to climb in value in the order I posted.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Drive a Mustang GT before you buy, those Camaros are like a coffin and the ride will shatter your teeth. My 2 cents, the Mustang GT continues to be the best bang for HP sold.

As I see it GM put $ into the engine, and that's it, Ford is always on top of Mustang R and D.

Shame on you for even bringing this up here at RPD! You know this is a Chevy only place as far as American vehicles. Just look at the front of the new Chevy trucks, everyone is just pinching their nose and taking a bite......
Sheesh, bringing rational thought and non conforming ideas into a thread relating to Chevy..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm surprised the mob hasn't been formed yet with a calling for permanent banning for the statement.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Shame on you for even bringing this up here at RPD! You know this is a Chevy only place as far as American vehicles. Just look at the front of the new Chevy trucks, everyone is just pinching their nose and taking a bite......
Sheesh, bringing rational thought and non conforming ideas into a thread relating to Chevy..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm surprised the mob hasn't been formed yet with a calling for permanent banning for the statement.
Mustangs are like Tampons........ Every pussy has one. Lol!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Orange Juice

Reaction score

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
6th gen is a much nicer car if you can swing it. I would absolutely get a manual in the Camaro....

Maybe look for a clean 5th gen Zl1? Ton of car for the $$$ and it will hold its value better down the line. 5th gen SS manual is a fast car and should be cheap I just hate the interior and how cramped it is.

The 4th gen looks clean and super low mileage but the fact thats it's an auto kills the value.

Clean un molested 4th gen firehawks, WS6 and SS's in manual will continue to climb in value in the order I posted.
I think all ss cars in the 4th were SLP cars right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think all ss cars in the 4th were SLP cars right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah SLP did the conversions on the 4th gens.....added the hood wing and the parts specked out on the build sheet.(exhaust,lid,shifters,mats,etc...)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I believe SLP was very close to the canadian plant that made the camaros.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-...5519-true-ss-z28-came-out-slp-true-false.html

I know some cars went to SLP and eventually GM brough the hood,wing,wheel swap in house....Reading this post I'm still confused...lol

Yea.. my brothers 02 SS hardtop was supposedly an “SLP” car but only had the grille. I am pretty sure some SS cars can directly from GM... I think all the LT1 cars were SLP.

I’ll read that article when I sit down.

I have an OE SLP/Hurst SS short shifter in my RX7. Those things are supposedly worth $500 now LOL.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yea.. my brothers 02 SS hardtop was supposedly an “SLP” car but only had the grille. I am pretty sure some SS cars can directly from GM... I think all the LT1 cars were SLP.

I’ll read that article when I sit down.

I have an OE SLP/Hurst SS short shifter in my RX7. Those things are supposedly worth $500 now LOL.

My 00 is a super weird optioned car.

SLP/Hurst (added lous short stick)
dash plaque
cover
mats
SLP dual dual exhaust

They loaded it up and then kept the cloth seats. I imagine because it was originally a Milwaukee car and they didn't like cold leather...haha

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My 00 is a super weird optioned car.

SLP/Hurst (added lous short stick)
dash plaque
cover
mats
SLP dual dual exhaust

They loaded it up and then kept the cloth seats. I imagine because it was originally a Milwaukee car and they didn't like cold leather...haha

That is odd. I think my brothers had the plaque as well, and leather. The original owner put SLP longtubes on it with a custom exhaust, 4.10 gears and a tune. That was a fun car to drive.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
That is odd. I think my brothers had the plaque as well, and leather. The original owner put SLP longtubes on it with a custom exhaust, 4.10 gears and a tune. That was a fun car to drive.

My convertible is stock aside from a SLP lid power wise. It's too nice of an example to mod and honestly you can feel the weight being a vert.

My first 00 SS was a stripper model with about everything done to it after purchase...lol

Cam ,LT Headers , SLP loud mouth exhaust , 3:73 gears ,etc,etc... It was gutted on convo pros and for its day was dam fast and trapped 118. My stock mustang would beat it today :D

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
You need to look at a CTS-V wagon with a 6 speed. Not many out there but you can carry more kids in it.

Last edited:

red ant

Reaction score
I would go with a manual trans if you can. Hurst short shifter is a good option too. All the cars that drop cylinders while cruising are starting to have ring issues in the dropped cylinders. Camaro specific, I have heard of some issues with the auto trans and the car going into some kind of limp mode. IDK, I have a manual. NO issues with the car. If you get one, make sure you get good tires that work. Like the P Zero that came on it or a equal tire. The higher mileage tire will not make you happy if you like to get on it or go thru the canyons. Just my old lady 2 cents worth.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You need to look at a CTS-V wagon with a 6 speed. Not many out there but you can carry more kids in it.

The sedans are still very expensive relative to the sedans, and they hold the same number of people.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My convertible is stock aside from a SLP lid power wise. It's too nice of an example to mod and honestly you can feel the weight being a vert.

My first 00 SS was a stripper model with about everything done to it after purchase...lol

Cam ,LT Headers , SLP loud mouth exhaust , 3:73 gears ,etc,etc... It was gutted on convo pros and for its day was dam fast and trapped 118. My stock mustang would beat it today :D

True.. But today making power with an LS is pretty cheap... Hell revving them to 8K is pretty much following a recipe now.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The 6th Gen Alpha platform is a significant jump from the 5th Gen Zeta platform.

Alpha was a premium platform from the get-go, shared with the Caddy CTS and ATS.

Zeta is a decade older and shared with the likes of a Buick Park Avenue, Chevy Caprice and G8. Definitely not premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro