WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another Transmission thread

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
looking for some insight, putting my 21ft howard back together and have a 454 with a gale banks twin turbo setup. I have a powerglide currently in my parts collection but from what I’ve read a turbo 400 would be much better off. What year or style should I be looking for? Or should I keep my glide? Thanks

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I’ve been told along with a glide being smaller, lighter. I know a Glide be built to handle big power also. Have a friend who raced circle track and build them. Going to ask him what he’s capable of.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Less power loss through a glide multiple ratios available, First in a 400 is useless.

I’ve still go 1st in mine, I find it to be very useful. I’ve got 50’s in my v drive, and with a 16 pitch prop, I idle faster in second than what I’m allowed to run in the buoy line. Also for docking in tight quarters, first is necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BONER

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I’ve been told along with a glide being smaller, lighter. I know a Glide be built to handle big power also. Have a friend who raced circle track and build them. Going to ask him what he’s capable of.

So on the street or track, a 400 will handle just as power as a Glide. Power will eventually lead you to a Glide because 1st gear in a 400 is too steep once a certain power level is attained. Having said that, if your car / truck is over 3500lbs, you will continue to burn Glides up, and need to retain a 400.

When it comes to Boats, I have no clue. I do have a question though. In these V Drives, is the Captain shifting Gears while under way? Are some set up to shift themselves like a Car?

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Well correct me if I’m wrong but the 400 with a reverse manual valve body will slow you to manually shift it. Glide to my knowledge which isn’t the greatest is like a punch and go with one long gear if I’m not mistaken. School me if I’m wrong I’m here to learn.

sintax

Reaction score
I would certainly look into the powerglide for the reasons above, but primarily the weight and size concerns. Either way you're looking at a customer or semi-custom transmission, and if thats the case, I think that I'd look into a PG with a custom 1st gear. Something that could be usable around the docks and still enough to be able to mat it and get it up out of the hole quick and shift. The gearing on a stock 400 is not that ideal, 1st gear is pretty much useless, so you end up with a big heavy PG anyways right?

Obviously other things come into play here, boat size and weight, and engine performance. I think you'd prob see the benefits of a setup like this on a heavy high horsepower cruiser. This is just assumptions, I'd certainly want to talk to some pros.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Thanks for the all the info. Having trouble finding the converter delete piece. I did find the tci one but can’t find the 3 bar style one that bolts to the flywheel.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I put a T-400 in my 20ft Campbell with reverse manual valve body,
First gear is for Trolling for Trout, Second gear is for No wake zones, 3rd gear is like having a Velvet Drive.
I have a 13 X 14 prop, I need to Change to a 13 X 16, my Champion V-drive is 15 over with a 454, 386 hp

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
I’ve still go 1st in mine, I find it to be very useful. I’ve got 50’s in my v drive, and with a 16 pitch prop, I idle faster in second than what I’m allowed to run in the buoy line. Also for docking in tight quarters, first is necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah with 50's I am sure you would, most do not have enough power to pull those