WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My dog just got skunk sprayed

Mikes56

Reaction score
We just gave him a bath and my wife is blow dying him in the kitchen right now. The whole house smells like skunk.
Anyone have any suggestions to get the smell out of the house? F the dog, he deserves what he got.

nowski

Reaction score
Option 1. 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. 1 teaspoon baby shampoo or grease-cutting dish detergent. 1/4 cup baking soda.

Option 2. tomato juice and vodka...

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Had a Harrier hound for 12 years, he got skunked at least once a year, a voracious hunter, he didn't care about the smell!! and yea, he ate everything that moved, including the skunks..... tried all of it, seemed time and repletion got it done.

grumpy88

Reaction score
We have had it happen a few times . One time the dog ran into our room . We couldn't go in there for a week ! We have tried everything and nothing seams to work . This last time was probably 6 months ago and when our dog goes swimming you can still smell the skunk smell . Good luck !

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
This is what my kid has done in the past with her dog that had the same encounter.
1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution , 1/4 cup of baking soda AND 1 teaspoon of liquid dish-washing soap.
Wear gloves, work the solution into your dog’s coat, washing him thoroughly.
Don’t leave the solution on his fur for too long since peroxide can bleach the fur of the dog.
Then rinse completely.
You might have to repeat the process.

The tomato juice and vodka is for you

RichL

Reaction score
Don't forget the collar or harness. If it's nylon, the odor will be absorbed and needs to be replaced.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
you're fucked. buy nature's miracle by the case. it's the only thing that even puts a dent in the smell. some items leaving them outside and time are the only cure. what really sucks is when you go to work thinking you don't smell like skunk only to have your nose start working again about mid morning. good luck.
when our dog got sprayed at 5AM one morning the bastard bolted into the house and into my bed with me. woke up to the wife screaming at me and the dog in our bedroom.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
You best bet is... Time

All the other remedies won't get it all.

Just time...

Basically this.
Straight tomato juice will dull the smell a little bit, nothing but time will get rid of it.

My sister's snow white Samoyed tangled with a skunk a few years ago.
He was red for about 6 weeks afterwards ... funny as hell.

Last edited:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've told this ol story a couple times, and it's still funny. Years back my Dad's conservation officer friend brought home a baby skunk that was orphaned. He was very young and supposedly his scent glands had not yet matured.

The kids loved the cute little guy and he was just like having a kitten. Then one day he was chasing the kids as they ran out the back door and was just a tad late clearing the screen door and got squished. It didn't hurt him, but he "went off" with his business end aimed inside.....:eek:

The family ended up having to move out for a week to have the home fumigated and cleaned thoroughly by professionals. They really loved their lil' guy and had the vet remove his scent glands, keeping him as pet for many years.:D:D

But that spraying was horrible. Spread through the whole house.............

hawgty55

Reaction score
Funny when I was younger my dog got sprayed as well the only thing my mom had was Bloody Mary mix spicy at that. LOL

SixD9R

Reaction score
I hit a skunk with an old car once. I was impressed by the strength of that shit. It really smelled bad for about a week and that was mostly metal and rubber tires. I can’t imagine how bad a hairy dog would be. Cruising with the windows down eliminated the smell on the inside plus back in those days my ride usually smelled like weed.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Dog got hit in the face/front shoulder a couple years back. I immediately went to Walmart and bought peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish soap, along with some Skunk-B-Gone type of shampoo sold in the pet aisle. I did the Peroxide/soda/dish soap wash first, proportions as described by Take the Long Way Home above. I think I did it 3 times. I then did the Skunk-B-Gone shampoo another two times. The smell was gone except for his breath. His breath smelled like skunk for a couple months. I was staying in a hotel when he got sprayed and there was no smell that night or next day after the described treatment.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Dawn dish soap. The spray in an oil. My dogs get sprayed 1 or 2 times a year it seems. I have tried all sorts of shit. NONE will take the smell away completely, but the Dawn seems to work the best.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Your dog knows what sprayed them. It saw it, confronted it and lost the battle.
Short story. Was out walking the pupo. Sometimes I let her off the leash when things are quiet at night to let her be her self.. A dog. She hits on a scent near a small tree out in the woods and proceeds to start rolling around on her back like some dogs do to scratch themselves on the ground. Suddenly I get a whiff of the most putrid smell. I immediately react and grab up Honey. I carry a flashlight at night as my vision demands such an invention. I notice white/grey fur in the form of a rotting dead animal where she was rolling around. Turns out it was a dead rotted opossum she was gleefully rolling around in. It was about 35 degrees that night. I washed her off in the backyard with the hose with a leash tied to her that I held under my foot. That first round made a dent. The second round made a good impression and we both seemed to agree projectile vomiting was out of the picture. I brought her in and washed her a few more times in the tub in climate controlled conditions until My back gave up. We then went out to the shop where the blow drier and shop heater took over.
Honey doesn't take chances these days. :)

Mikes56

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. The skunk must have got my dog right in the mouth. His mouth was foaming and he was shaking his head. I scooped handfuls out of his mouth and my wife and I gave him a bath with shampoo. There's nothing like bathing a dog in the driveway, at 37 degrees, in our pajamas lol. He seems fine now, except for the smell, which is everywhere.
I just opened the back door for hm to go out and pee. He looked outside, turned around, and came back inside. Guess he learned to not fuck with the black and white smelly cat.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
When I had the K-9 handler position at the PD, he got skunked at least once every 6-8 months. I always used Massengil douche powder, sprinkled on wet fur, followed up by a good warm baby shampoo. It seemed to work better than the Miracle shit, tomato juice or any other concoctions.

Mikes56

Reaction score
When I had the K-9 handler position at the PD, he got skunked at least once every 6-8 months. I always used Massengil douche powder, sprinkled on wet fur, followed up by a good warm baby shampoo. It seemed to work better than the Miracle shit, tomato juice or any other concoctions.
If you go buy four bottles of douche, I'll meet you somewhere and try that.

McKay

Reaction score
Why would you let a dog in the house after it got sprayed? haha

nowski

Reaction score
Is the tomato juice and vodka for me to drink so I'm not so pissed off, or do I put that on the dog?

The tomato juice and vodka is for you. The vodka thins your blood and calms you down. The tomato juice closes your pores while keeping that skunky smell from entering into your body...

sirbob

Reaction score
I've told this ol story a couple times, and it's still funny. Years back my Dad's conservation officer friend brought home a baby skunk that was orphaned. He was very young and supposedly his scent glands had not yet matured.

The kids loved the cute little guy and he was just like having a kitten. Then one day he was chasing the kids as they ran out the back door and was just a tad late clearing the screen door and got squished. It didn't hurt him, but he "went off" with his business end aimed inside.....:eek:

The family ended up having to move out for a week to have the home fumigated and cleaned thoroughly by professionals. They really loved their lil' guy and had the vet remove his scent glands, keeping him as pet for many years.:D:D

But that spraying was horrible. Spread through the whole house.............

I can tell you all about having a skunk in the house!!

A little blast from the past...

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/skunk-in-the-house.160271/