WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What’s a good FIRST Dirt bike for 16 yo?

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
So we got the can am about 6 months ago and this guy decides he wants to ride now. So I started looking at bikes but want to make sure I am Looking for the right one. He’s about 5’11 and 160 lbs. It will be his first dirt bike. He’s ridden quads in the past but nothing serious, more of just putting around.

And I don’t want to dump a bunch of money in this either just in case he changes his mind.

Been looking at some used yz 125’s and some cr 125. thoughts?

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
do you want 2 or 4 strokes?

I would look at a big wheel 150 4 stroke. not too much power to scare him but enough to get going

Been looking at both. I’m partial to 2 strokes because that’s what I had back in the day. The 4 strokes with electric start are pretty cool though

hallett21

Reaction score
I bought an XR100 at 12/13. My dad offered to cover the difference for a crf 150. I declined.

Really regretted that until I got a 250.

I would go 125/250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
That’s the other thing too, don’t want too much power but At the same time don’t want a dog

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I bought an XR100 at 12/13. My dad offered to cover the difference for a crf 150. I declined.

Really regretted that until I got a 250.

I would go 125/250

Do the 250’s sit much taller? Maybe a 4 stroke 250

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Since you said FIRST dirtbike, im assuming he's never rode before. I'd go with a TTR 125 big wheel model The lower seat height and mellow power will get him used to navigating terrain and it still has enough balls and suspension to take him where he wants to go. I know it sounds small, but it would be confidence inspiring, get him used to clutch and shifting, and if he gets in trouble its easy to put his feet down. After that, maybe a WR250F 4 stroke or YZ250F if he wants sporty

hallett21

Reaction score
Do the 250’s sit much taller? Maybe a 4 stroke 250

I’m 5’9” 180lbs and can easily support a 250.

Never a problem kick starting one. The suspension in the 250 is x10 better than a 100/150 imo.

If electric start is an option go for it. My YZ250F was sometimes a pain to start. Could have been tuning issues.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
How big is the 16 year old.

If he is 150+ he will out grow a 125 real fast. It will have 2 speeds, idle and full throttle.

DC-88

Reaction score
Basic 4 stroke 250 trail bike all the way for the first one unless he is super fired up on going directly to riding tracks which would require the good suspension of a mx bike. If it's trail/desert riding and he gets into it and excels you can step up to a higher quality KTM/Beta/450x/husky, etc or similar down the road. The used basic starter bikes seem to hold value and are easy to re-sell for minimal loss if he burns out on it. 125 2 stroke mx bike would not be on the top of a list I'd buy my kid to ride with us on long rides in the sxs. Good on him for wanting to ride though, the last place you'd have caught me or any of my friends at that age was sitting with my parents in the passenger seat of anything off road and not riding something.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
250-300 4 stroke. He wont out grow it right away, has a nice smooth delivery of power and plenty fast for a newer rider. Remember that smaller bikes are almost as fast but dont have the same power band so a midsize bike is actually easier to ride.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
This is what’s so cool about RDP. Tons of knowledge and real world experience. It can also get expensive too seeing everyone’s cool shit

Ill let him sit on a few and see what he likes. He’s been on a ttr around camp and liked it but it was a small. Didn’t know they came in a big wheel

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
First timer. Do you think he will rip?

He is a big kid so don't be afraid to go big. My son is 4'8" and rides a CRF 150F. My other son is 17 at 5'6" and rides a full size KTM.

Go with CRF 150R or F. The R if he wants to rip. The F is he wants to cruise. You will NOT lose on these if you have to sell them. If he decides he likes to ride you will be upgrading to a 250-300.

The CRF 250x if he is tall and if he can handle that would be a good choice too. (these are kind of heavy)

I have both.

I would only look at the 230 if he doesn't want to rip. Kinda heavy and slow.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
[QUOTE="DC-88,
Good on him for wanting to ride though, the last place you'd have caught me or any of my friends at that age was sitting with my parents in the passenger seat of anything off road and not riding something.[/QUOTE]
Yup. I think he gets bored in SxS. His friend rides and his been telling to get a bike. So here we are

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
First timer. Do you think he will rip?

He is a big kid so don't be afraid to go big. My son is 4'8" and rides a CRF
150F.

Go with CRF 150R or F. The R if he wants to rip. The F is he wants to cruise. You will NOT lose on these if you have to sell them. If he decides he likes to ride you will be upgrading to a 250-300.

The CRF 250x if he is tall and if he can handle that would be a good choice too. (these are kind of heavy)

I have both.
once he gets used to it. He’s pretty extreme. I had him skating pools when he was 6 so if he likes this as much as he did skating he will

sintax

Reaction score
size wise he'd be fine on a 125 2stroke or a 250 4 stroke. Assuming hes apt and athletic and is serious about doing it, I personally would not waste time with one of the lesser bikes like a ttr or a crf 230. The suspension / power is just not there and it never will be. I'd opt for the 125/250 mx bike, and plan on replacing it in a year or two once he progresses. The only reason I could see him not wanting to move up to a 250/450 would be because he does not want to break out of a racing class. Beyond that, I cant find a reason. I've never thought "man I sure wish I had a smaller displacement bike" while trying to mob a giant sand dune or chasing down a buddy in the desert.

sintax

Reaction score
[QUOTE="DC-88,
Good on him for wanting to ride though, the last place you'd have caught me or any of my friends at that age was sitting with my parents in the passenger seat of anything off road and not riding something.
Yup. I think he gets bored in SxS. His friend rides and his been telling to get a bike. So here we are[/QUOTE]

He would, SXS's are for old fat dudes who cant ride anymore

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
He might like the 2 stroke. Lighter and more advanced and the bike will handle better too.

He has to learn sometime. At his height there is no reason he can't go full sized 125 2-smoke or 250's in 2 or 4 smoke.

I just tell my son if he crashes doing something stupid it will hurt him and not me. :p Worked so far. :D

once he gets used to it. He’s pretty extreme. I had him skating pools when he was 6 so if he likes this as much as he did skating he will

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Exactly. (thats me)

Both my sons like to follow along on the family RZR rides on their bikes on their own. Fuck those old man machines. LOL

Yup. I think he gets bored in SxS. His friend rides and his been telling to get a bike. So here we are

He would, SXS's are for old fat dudes who cant ride anymore

motormonkey

Reaction score
Another vote for crf150. Never go wrong with Honda 4 stroke. I was sponsored a 150r for flatrack. It had a bunch of XRS Only work, stroker. I was keeping up with 426s and 450s. LOL it was a revvvver. But you could putt the bike all the same. Was super impressed with it. Way tamer than my buddies YZ490 flat track bike. Haha.
What do his friends ride?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I bought a TTR230 for my wife. Over time my youngest son outgrew his CRF 70, and he is pretty fearless. Not wanting to buy another bike that he would soon outgrow we put him on Mom's bike. He couldn't touch the ground with either foot, but he kept up with us everywhere from Red Mtn to Randsburg.
Now he is racing a RMZ250 and he can kinda touch the ground, but he sure can moto.
A TTR is a fabulous bike to learn on with electric start and all, but there is literally nothing you can do to improve suspension or motor.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Well here he is when he jumped on my board trying to tell me how I should be using it. I said listen fuker - I used to but those days are gone

so I am sure he will be fine but I don’t want to end up in ER either. Been there done that too many times with him. So looking for something he won’t get bored with but also not get too crazy

72E0AE30-E2AC-4751-990E-80CC0DDF3746.png

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
This.

The CRF 150 is a first timers bike. Someone who cannot ride or is younger and lighter.

If he progresses then he will progress right out of the CRF 150's and into a bigger more advanced bike.

I buy bikes each year. He is big and tall so if he can handle it just skip step #1 and do what he said.

size wise he'd be fine on a 125 2stroke or a 250 4 stroke. Assuming hes apt and athletic and is serious about doing it, I personally would not waste time with one of the lesser bikes like a ttr or a crf 230. The suspension / power is just not there and it never will be. I'd opt for the 125/250 mx bike, and plan on replacing it in a year or two once he progresses. The only reason I could see him not wanting to move up to a 250/450 would be because he does not want to break out of a racing class. Beyond that, I cant find a reason. I've never thought "man I sure wish I had a smaller displacement bike" while trying to mob a giant sand dune or chasing down a buddy in the desert.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Go big or go home...old school CR500!
J/K, I assume you want to keep him around for a bit.

Is anyone in your group riding 2wheelers? Before buying, see if you can get him out on one for a day. I went from old 2smoke bikes to quads, and now 4stroke quads...If he isn't new to dirt, but new to 2 wheels, I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money, but I don't know how powerful a 250 4 is. I would think something equivalent to an old CR250 would be good given his size. They can be bought pretty cheap, and would let him learn if he wants to delve deeper. If that's the case, then spend more on an upgrade in a season.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
125 2 stroker all day long. Along with it being full size and plenty of power and suspension, it's also an inexpensive bike to buy and operate. If he's mechanical at all, it's a great way for him to learn to turn his own wrenches too

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Riverfamlee

Reaction score

Is anyone in your group riding 2wheelers? Before buying, see if you can get him out on one for a day. I went from old 2smoke bikes to quads, and now 4stroke quads...If he isn't new to dirt, but new to 2 wheels, I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money, but I don't know how powerful a 250 4 is. I would think something equivalent to an old CR250 would be good given his size. They can be bought pretty cheap, and would let him learn if he wants to delve deeper. If that's the case, then spend more on an upgrade in a season.

we have 4 people that ride bikes in the group. KTM 450, cr 125, a husky (not sure on the size and a ttr. The 3 smaller bikes are all rode by kids around his age. The ktm is one of the kids dad.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
125 2 stroker all day long. Along with it being full size and plenty of power and suspension, it's also an inexpensive bike to buy and operate. If he's mechanical at all, it's a great way for him to learn to turn his own wrenches too

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

this is kinda the way I am leaning. Seemed to be priced right too. Also easier to work on I think

sintax

Reaction score

haha I have a KX500 i've been thinking about parting ways with if he wants to get wild. Its got a fresh full rebuild by a Team Green engine builder from back in the day, needless to say it rips

HBCraig

Reaction score
That’s the other thing too, don’t want too much power but At the same time don’t want a dog
250 4 stroke would do just fine.

Also consider a 250 2 stroke. He wont have to rev out the 250 as much. A lot wider powerband and very easy to maintain

HBCraig

Reaction score
haha I have a KX500 i've been thinking about parting ways with if he wants to get wild. Its got a fresh full rebuild by a Team Green engine builder from back in the day, needless to say it rips
Sold my CR500 a year or two ago. Dont settle for a price dude. I sold this for $3200
20140105_102711.jpg

sintax

Reaction score
Sold my CR500 a year or two ago. Dont settle for a price dude. I sold this for $3200

Nice man!

Yea mine has been swapped into a KX250 frame and has a lot of trick parts. I have a lighting stator for it too if you decide you want to see what warp speed is like at night.

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
So we got the can am about 6 months ago and this guy decides he wants to ride now. So I started looking at bikes but want to make sure I am Looking for the right one. He’s about 5’11 and 160 lbs. It will be his first dirt bike. He’s ridden quads in the past but nothing serious, more of just putting around.

And I don’t want to dump a bunch of money in this either just in case he changes his mind.

Been looking at some used yz 125’s and some cr 125. thoughts?

Ive got a real clean 2012 KX450 set up for a kid like that. ( My sons bike) ... Itd would behoove you to give the kid a bike that fits his dimensions vs a small frame and low cc bike because its his first...

you don't have to use all the gears and you don't have to twist all the way.

We both just got new KX450's for Christmas...

your gonne get a ton of different opinions,,,BUT don't put a big guy on a small Bike... Please... that's the biggest mistake.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sold my CR500 a year or two ago. Dont settle for a price dude. I sold this for $3200 View attachment 838425
Damn nice bike you had. I miss mine...really I miss riding any 2wheeler 2strokes. After my accident(car, not bike) I decided I am less apt to do something stupid on 4 wheels. Clapt out old Raptor 660 with long travel. More exciting than a couch, but almost as comfortable. Years and scars dictate more and more these days;)

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Yz125 is a perfect bike to really learn how to ride. I like 4 strokes but I call them a lazy mans bike. You just gotta blip the throttle. A 2 stroke you really learn throttle control and how to feather the clutch and stay on the pipe. There my opinion. I still love to ride my 125. I’m 5’8 about 165 right now. Started riding a 125 before 16.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
CR500... At least that is what all the kids bought back in my day, before everyone became a pussy.

:D

DC-88

Reaction score
All depend on where most of his riding will be done. A 2-stroke 125 will not survive with a guy of his size in the dunes. JMO
Also wouldn't be fun to learn on in technical rocky stuff encountered on long rides imho- At 16 I'd see him jumping straight to a 300 2 stroke, 250 2 stroke, or 450 4 stroke if he gets into it..

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I take back my comment. I was thinking track. ^ Those 2 comments are very true.

riverroyal

Reaction score
He is 16.... take you pick on any newer 250 four stroke. Anything less will be a bike for a pussy. He wont last long on any big tire thing.
Just cause a 250 is fast doesnt mean he will haul ass. But it will have good suspension and he can keep it awhile

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
No dune riding . All hard pack - Barstow, Johnson valley , ocotillo etc

2Driver

Reaction score
If its first bike then check out the crf230. Air cooled impossible to kill and uber low maintenance. Buy it used and you'll get your money back if he wants to move to a 450 later on.

DED99134-296A-4F02-8172-437A1EBDAC62.jpeg

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
From a guy that has ridden everything from CR 80 to an XR650 I would say a 4 stroke 250 would be a good place to start.

2 strokes are fine for someone who wants to ring them out 85% of the time because that’s where they are happy. If he just wants to trail ride at slower speeds or ride the dunes at a beginners pace the 4 stroke wins hands down. The newer 4 strokes are not much heavier than the 2 strokes and make gobs of torque which is very forgiving when just learning to ride. On the other side a 250 4 stroke can be ridden hard without the fear of seizing the motor up on warmer days and depending on where you live, can easily be plated so getting gas on longer rides is a breeze. No mixing gas.