WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Talk Radio

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I remember as a kid I hated talk radio. Just give me music, man!

But after you spend time sitting in the car driving from place to place for hours on end, the music gets repetitive. So I migrated to listening to talk radio. I had the Sirius pay service for a while, but when my subscription lapsed I didn't bother to renew it.

My last real job, I would often drive 500 miles a day visiting projects and properties. Southern California, so I listened to KFI AM 640. Bill Handel, then was Rush Limbaugh, Doctor Laura, then John and Ken in the afternoons. It's a different line up now. But that was where I started.

Kevin and Bean sometimes, then Howard Stern or Bubba the Love Sponge. LOL And that dude who taught you how to use women and not pay for meals... Don't remember his name. For music I pop on Pandora. No commercials.

As I recall Rush was kinda wacky sometimes, Sean Hannity the same thing. I prefer more of a neutral approach rather than being told what to think. Bill O Reilly was kinda cool back then, but he's gone. I liked Dennis Prager.

I enjoy Gary and Shannon on KFI, but I find myself listening to IHEART Radio Podcasts of radio shows instead. No Commercials... just a bit of bumper music.

Armstrong and Getty are the best that I have found. They are on in Sacramento and quite a few other markets. AM 760 in San Diego for one. That's where I found them. Once I realized I could listen for free, with no commercials on I Heart Radio I was in. They are freaking hilarious, topical in content and have a familiar, conservative, common sense outlook. Check them out.

Who else is worth listening to?

Get415

Reaction score
x2 on 640am. Handle in the morning has gotten a little weird the past couple years but John and Ken are always entertaining and they kinda even each other out so its nice to mellow out the show. Tim Conway is a HOOT!

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
When I was driving truck I enjoyed listening to talk radio across the country but I don't commute much anymore except for my road trips to Havasu or Vegas but I'm good with music most of the time.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Yeah, those days are gone

In early 90s it was Howard Stern junior and senior year in high school and early college until he left terrestrial radio.. Jim Rome in the early AM the might 690, then Stev Hartman and Bill Wardell, the. Hacksaw.. the best 15 minutes of radio.. loved being a street salesman at that time, great talk radio... after Rome, listened to the triplets then poof all gone.. Mike and Mike in the AM was really good but they fucked that up with wingo and Jr.. it's ok, but not great...

I miss them days, now it's all podcasts... tough growing up

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Tom Leykis, on the web now.
Tim Conway Jr... What the hell did Jessie Jackson say?
Bill Handel in the morning.
Ben Shapiro, on YouTube or I Heart radio.
Rush Limbaugh is a whacko...

Dan'l

77charger

Reaction score
Im kind of the same way been on talk radio too in the afternoons sometimes morning too.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Here in Allentown Pa we have a local rock station that used to have 2 semi-funny guys on in the morning, they talked a lot and also played music. Unfortunately, one of the guys passed away suddenly so they moved the other one to afternoons. In the mornings they now have this syndicated talk show called rovers morning glory on. I just can’t get used to it.
Anyone else listen to or know of that show? If yes, what do you think of it?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife loves John and Ken.
Handel has gone total wack. There's a room in a nuthouse between Glenn Beck and Stephen A's waiting for Handel.

Leo Laporte and the Motorman for me.
I miss Doug McEntyre.

Mr KABC was a self proclaimed purge loving left wing liberal but I never heard him back that claim up.
Seemed conservative to me.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Dave Shelly and chainsaw on 101.5 kgb out of San Diego. I’ve been listening to them every morning since 93

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I used to think Rush and Glenn Beck were off the Wall wierd,but the more I listen while driving I have come to appreciate their style of telling like it is with out all the phony "FLAIR" like Hannity and the Super Goof ball O'riely. I really trust beck as he is not apart of Fox or any one else and anawers to no one.
Then when I can find her on the weekend days I enjoy The Dana Show Dana Loesch is a young conservative with the no hholds barred attitude and she is blunt and funny at the same time. I keep promising to get Satellite Radio,but seem to keep putting it off. I am sure would help finding these at more convient times.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Dave Shelly and chainsaw on 101.5 kgb out of San Diego. I’ve been listening to them every morning since 93

Wow I can't believe they are still a trio. Awesome. :D

KevinR

Reaction score
Wife loves John and Ken.
Handel has gone total wack. There's a room in a nuthouse between Glenn Beck and Stephen A's waiting for Handel.

Leo Laporte and the Motorman for me.
I miss Doug McEntyre.

Mr KABC was a self proclaimed purge loving left wing liberal but I never heard him back that claim up.
Seemed conservative to me.

I miss Doug too.

I listen to Andrew Wilkow on SiriusXM 125 when I’m heading to Havasu or out of AM range with Rush, 9am-12pm Pacific Time. If I stack him up against all the others he’s right at the top with Rush and Levin.

infield

Reaction score
I liked Bob and Tom but the Wichita market dropped it. Chick is real funny in my opinion. Bob retired and I don't remember him ever saying anything funny anyway.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have Satellite radio for a reason. I hate talk radio. Love no commercial music.

At work though I listen to KCBS 740 because it’s local weather, traffic, etc.

Mike K

Reaction score
Yep .... talk radio for years ... still do the KFI thing but sooooo many commercials ... I do XM and listen to the Patriot & Fox News Live and check this out ... on long drives u can listen to Forensic Files, Dateline and all kinds of weird stuff on XM HLN channel. Also ... on long drives like to Havi ... if u look at Podcasts online ... u will be blown away about what u can download to listen to from your phone ... even if you lose the Internet signal .. so many cool things to listen to ... nothing worse than freaking out in bumper to bumper LA traffic ... so listening to some of these podcasts kinda chill ya out a little.

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
I have switched from KFI in the morning to AM870. I couldn't take how liberal Handel has gotten the past few years.

Been a Howard Stern fan forever and he too is getting so boring and liberal it gets nauseating.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Not a fan of most talk radio, but i have been dl pod casts to play in the truck.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have Satellite radio for a reason. I hate talk radio. Love no commercial music.

At work though I listen to KCBS 740 because it’s local weather, traffic, etc.
Bunch of jaw-jackers laughing at each others cornball jokes. Can't relate, don't care too.
Hate when I'm forced to listen to AM/FM radio.:)

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Yep .... talk radio for years ... still do the KFI thing but sooooo many commercials ... I do XM and listen to the Patriot & Fox News Live and check this out ... on long drives u can listen to Forensic Files, Dateline and all kinds of weird stuff on XM HLN channel. Also ... on long drives like to Havi ... if u look at Podcasts online ... u will be blown away about what u can download to listen to from your phone ... even if you lose the Internet signal .. so many cool things to listen to ... nothing worse than freaking out in bumper to bumper LA traffic ... so listening to some of these podcasts kinda chill ya out a little.

I like listening to John & Ken on 640 KFI, but as you said soooo many damn commercials. I find it hilarious at the hypocrisy that the station runs all these leftist liberal commercials during their show. The station will take money from anyone to sell airtime.

Ladsm

Reaction score
lately I have been streaming Directv to my phone then blue tooth to the radio. The last couple weeks I have been listening to the Impeachment show.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I like listening to John & Ken on 640 KFI, but as you said soooo many damn commercials. I find it hilarious at the hypocrisy that the station runs all these leftist liberal commercials during their show. The station will take money from anyone to sell airtime.
Left Simi Valley for Downtown Los Angeles. Listing to Doug McEntyre it was commercials the entire trip.
I wrote him an email and he responded, then the station manager responded and they broke the ads up.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
670 The Score out here in Chi-town. All sports. Almost no politics.

I could give two shits about most sports but the apolitical programming is a nice respite.

playdeep

Reaction score
I used to think Rush and Glenn Beck were off the Wall wierd,but the more I listen while driving I have come to appreciate their style of telling like it is with out all the phony "FLAIR" like Hannity and the Super Goof ball O'riely. I really trust beck as he is not apart of Fox or any one else and anawers to no one.
Then when I can find her on the weekend days I enjoy The Dana Show Dana Loesch is a young conservative with the no hholds barred attitude and she is blunt and funny at the same time. I keep promising to get Satellite Radio,but seem to keep putting it off. I am sure would help finding these at more convient times.

Dana Loesch is awesome...she doesn't hold back.
I remember when she was getting threats from random Libtard's.
Her response was" please try,I've got a great assortment of guns&am quite adept at using them"
...and she's hot!
Used to like Mike&Mike til they went their separate ways.
New show has jumped the shark...

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Dana Loesch is awesome...she doesn't hold back.
I remember when she was getting threats from random Libtard's.
Her response was" please try,I've got a great assortment of guns&am quite adept at using them"
...and she's hot!
Used to like Mike&Mike til they went their separate ways.
New show has jumped the shark...

YES!!, she is a Gun Girl. Talks about her collection often and her advertisers are often gun or related companies. I really enjoy her No Holding Back.:D

riverroyal

Reaction score

Unlistenable. Ive tried numerous times. Enough with the dumb game show thing everyday for 1 trillion points. Its just bad

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Dave Ramsey can be OK listening to his callers. Its actually kinda scary just how many people are so financially unstable and such.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Mornings while heating up the shop, Glenn Beck.
Working in the shop daytime and early evening, mixture of music...loud...metal, rockabilly, old country, really depends.
Later evening, Tim Conway Jr and Noory:rolleyes:

In Cali doing construction, KFI when driving. End of Noory in the morning, Handel, then John&Ken on the way home. Unless the day was shit...then old Metallica or Pantera...loud!

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I can't believe none of the MAGA types here haven't mentioned Larry Elder on AM 590 and many of the other Salem network stations. Whip smart, sarcastic, no BS, black conservative. Just wished he would cover California politics as closely as he does the national issues.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Cant live without my daily dose of howard and the wack pack..

I agree....Howard Stern all the time, great way to pass the miles on a trip. KFI when I’m in LA, they are entertaining and you get the traffic info.

Also, I like Audioi books, especially on a long trip.....but your passengers won’t like it. I’ve listened to audio books that were so good (The Hunt For Red October is fantastic on audio books, better than the movie) I sat in my driveway after a 5 hour trip just so I could hear the end of the chapter.

copterzach

Reaction score
I listen to XM Patriot channel 125

Lots of audio books. Listening to Profiles in Corruption by Peter Schweizer. Holy shit these people are corrupt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welldigger00

Reaction score
Unlistenable. Ive tried numerous times. Enough with the dumb game show thing everyday for 1 trillion points. Its just bad

Yes it is actually horrible. I’ve been listening for so long it’s just a bad habit now.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Put on KFWB980 this morning and was very surprised that it has become a Mexican music station.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Motorman was interesting but loses credibility when he touts MoToNew engine rebuild in a jar. I think that was the name of the stuff.
A thick STP kinda goop you add to your oil.
He really talked and glossed it up.

Capn Janx called (I think it was) him and said he used it and his engine overheated. Then added babbabooie put it in his radiator.

Dunno if the Motorman is still on.

Last edited:

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
many years ago I liked Robert W. Morgan, most of you aren't old enough to remember him.

KevinR

Reaction score
Motorman was interesting but looses credibility when he touts MoToNew engine rebuild in a jar.
A thick STP kinda goop you add to your oil.
He really talks and glosses it up.

Capn Janx called him and said he used it and his engine overheated. Then added babbabooie put it in his radiator.

Dunno if the motorman is still on.

Yes Motorman still reigns on Sunday mornings. In fact it’s the longest running program on KABC Talk Radio.

Leon has been a family friend since the 70’s from Lake Arrowhead. My dad and he are still very good friends. He began his show when another Lake Arrowhead friend, George Green, at that time GM of KABC, convinced Leon to come into the studio and do a Q & A show on automotive issues.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Listen to this all day... only listen to music when I'm driving.
Screenshot_20200130-073319_SiriusXM.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Nordie

Reaction score
670 The Score out here in Chi-town. All sports. Almost no politics.

I could give two shits about most sports but the apolitical programming is a nice respite.

Listening to ESPN Chicago now...when I was there I enjoyed listening to Waddle and Silvy on my commute home.

Afternoons here in Vegas I listen to these guys out of Fort Myers, that I really enjoyed while on the drive home when I was in Florida. The show is called Stan and Haney, they're pretty funny and very right leaning so it makes it a little more tolerable.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Jim And Sam mornings on XM 103. Replays in the evening. These guys are the last of the Opie and Anthony legacy.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Any body remember "The Regular Guys" of the mid '90's in LA? They moved on to Atlanta when I lived there in early '00's.....

Larry Wachs and Eric Von Haessler. Damned funny and cutting edge. Highly controversial and always in trouble with stations, ownership and FCC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Regular_Guys

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Any body remember "The Regular Guys" of the mid '90's in LA? They moved on to Atlanta when I lived there in early '00's.....

Larry Wachs and Eric Von Haessler. Damned funny and cutting edge. Highly controversial and always in trouble with stations, ownership and FCC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Regular_Guys

I liked those guys [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I liked those guys [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They were crazy....One comment I'll always remember is Larry talkin on the topic of Iran working on a nuke. He said the best way to end that issue would be for the CIA to set one off in a warehouse near one of their "secret" facilities. Then flood world news with our condolences and telling them, "We told you not to mess with those damned things, they might go off.....":eek::D