WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stories of your old hang...

PlanB

Reaction score
If the same gto that always parked in McDs then we knew him as the "old man". Most of us had lowered and caged road racers. Older brothers of one friend all had very fast AMC's....Gremlins, AMX and Hornet.

The “old man” had a blue 64, mine was black. The old guy was a trip. Would never open the hood and would never tell anyone what he was running for power. I had a 389 with factory Tri-Power with a M22 4 speed. Pretty fast car, but the old man’s car was faster.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Naugles in Lake Forest for grinds and after the house partys in Mission VIEJO got busted by cops. Cruising Balboa Island and Penny Arcade. 7-11 off Rockfield/Ridge Route for race action. Thousand Steps beach for bonfire parties. Simple times in the mid 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
I'm sure we've met, I wouldn't be surprised if I've met several of the inmates at those locations in the 90's
May have, though I was in high school in those day’s mid 80’s. had my modded 5.0 ate for lunch by a sleeper short bed chevy on Glenoaks. Had to bury my head in the sand lol. used to love shredding the tires off on San Fernando in front of Hollywood Rentals!

4Waters

Reaction score
May have, though I was in high school in those day’s mid 80’s. had my modded 5.0 ate for lunch by a sleeper short bed chevy on Glenoaks. Had to bury my head in the sand lol. used to love shredding the tires off on San Fernando in front of Hollywood Rentals!
I graduated in '95, I had a 68 F250 with big ass mirrors (helped with the sleeper look) on it that would slaughter 5.0's

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
I graduated in '95, I had a 68 F250 with big ass mirrors (helped with the sleeper look) on it that would slaughter 5.0's
In ’95 I was already frequenting some of the finest dive bars LHC had to offer, The Office, Me Offs, Hussongs....the list goes on and on...........

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
used to go into bobs on sepulveda below mission when it was a drive in across from the bear pit good looking car hops... damn those were the days... and van nuys blvd before the blvd was shut down by the powers at the time van guys now is just a homeless migrant mess
Probably saw you there when I was a kid!

johnnyC

Reaction score
the world is a small place, maybe so, it would be interesting!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Super Antojitos, Poobahs, A&W, Burger Continental, Santa Anita Mall and the "Bowlero" bowling alley on Foothill. East Side Pasadena

Wedgy

Reaction score
EHS '69- 1974, Valley Parkway, Escondido Village Mall parking lot. Watch out for the BAM! Light standards... KOWN
Kramer's Union 76, Worked around the corner at Ruhm Tile and Marble. 70' Chevy C30 350. LOL. North Broadway, Dragway. 7 Flats. Rube Nelson's Country Corner. Holiday Wine Cellar. Walter's Camp. Palo Verde. First car, '61 Olds 394 cu in Super 88. #2, My 65 2door Impala. $250... Honda 305 Superhawk. Ha. Kawasaki 100, GF's bike. From parts. Cheap. Motorcyle Salvage on Mission ave. Honda of Escondido on Broadway. Quality Chevrolet. Escondido Motor Parts. Precision Engine.

Friends cars, '60's Impalas, Malibu's, Tri-Five's. Nomad wagons, Fred's many V8 Vegas, Wagons, His'65 G10 Flat window 90" with another V8, a 327 "Vette" motor.
RIP Fred.
Too many concerts at the Sports Aroma to remember...
Concert parking lot Safety Meeting. Fred, in the Fast Times at Ridgemont High Flat window Chevy, "HEY! Quit Pissin' on my Headers!!"

nameisbond

Reaction score
Had a friend in high school. His mother owned a bar. It was a single parent household. His mother sometimes wouldn't come home until 3am. Friend lived on the beach, we had some epic parties at his house.

ssc

Reaction score
Valley Blvd in Alhambra. Hang in the parking lot in front of Britts with time at the Pup & Taco, The Hat and Bobs Big Boy. Thursday would start on Valley and then head up to Colorado Blvd, with a stop at Twohee's for a stinko burger. Many times would leave Valley Blvd and go to Whittier Blvd and end up racing up and down Turnball Canyon.

Cheers, Steve

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Ahhhh, Summer nights in mid-60's Arrowhead Village was where it was happening brother. :p 😁

Dick Dale and the Deltones playing at the Village outdoor dance pavilion, dad's borrowed Chris Craft docked right there in the bay --- WOO HOO, I mean seriously, the flat-lander gals as far away as Palm Springs would flock there on weekend nights.
Feel in love a million times, even married one ---- (OK that didn't end well :oops:). Plus the Penny Arcade, minature golf, the Sat Night midnight horror movies at the theater, candy apples, I mean that place had it going.
Or ice skating in Blue Jay at the ancient outdoor rink, another hot spot to meet the young ladies. My friend owned the Blue Jay horse stables, so we could always do a late night ride to Totem Pole point.

In those days only the druggie hippies hung out in Deep Creek, of course the SB Sheriffs knew that too and every weekend they'd haul em in and hand-cuff them to the horse rail outside the Crestline Sheriffs station.

Eventually the dance closed up, replaced by condos, Ice Rink closed too, but by then old enough to hustle cougars at the Village Chalet or the Cedar Glen Sportsman and do some midnight boat rides to watch the Submarine Races or party on the Island 😜

But, I grew up, went to war, returned mid-70's to find a beautiful lake but now filled nut-to-butt with homes and docks, strip malls had replaced the beautiful old village, ice skating was now indoors, it had all quickly changed, cold and unfriendly, kids just roaming about --- "Hangin", nothing else to do, everything good was erased by so-called progress. 😪
We'd been up there since late 50's, we had an amazing 20 years, the best 20 that lake ever had to offer, it was time to sell and move on. So I headed to the River :cool:
Breaks my heart I lost all the boxes of pictures and 8mm movies in the wildfire. Best years of my life were spent up there. 😍
Lloyd's, Jobie's and the Sportsman were all places my dad would hang out. He has a ton of great stories.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Valley Blvd in Alhambra. Hang in the parking lot in front of Britts with time at the Pup & Taco, The Hat and Bobs Big Boy. Thursday would start on Valley and then head up to Colorado Blvd, with a stop at Twohee's for a stinko burger. Many times would leave Valley Blvd and go to Whittier Blvd and end up racing up and down Turnball Canyon.

Cheers, Steve

Britt's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wanna know how I know you are old???? lol

What HS did you go to??

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I grew up on the mean streets of Incline Village at Tahoe, the local 7-11 was the place to find out what was going on.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Naugles in Lake Forest for grinds and after the house partys in Mission VIEJO got busted by cops. Cruising Balboa Island and Penny Arcade. 7-11 off Rockfield/Ridge Route for race action. Thousand Steps beach for bonfire parties. Simple times in the mid 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember Fisiwigs poolhall on Jeronimo?

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
My old hang out was at the A&W in Palo Alto (West Bay Area) trying to get the Girl on roller skates to go out after she got off work 1974.
After she got off work we would Hop in my 67 Camaro and hang out at San Gregorio Beach for a late night Snack.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yep, Britts has been gone awhile. Schurr High , Montebello,

Cheers, Steve

I went to San Gabriel HS. You hung out at all the same places I did. Before I started going to the river anyways...

;)

ssc

Reaction score
I went to San Gabriel HS. You hung out at all the same places I did. Before I started going to the river anyways...

;)
Indeed. Not sure when you graduated. I played football and recall many times going to that HS to play. Dated a cheerleader from your school. Of course spent many a night up in Chantry flats with various young ladies.

Cheers, Steve

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Indeed. Not sure when you graduated. I played football and recall many times going to that HS to play. Dated a cheerleader from your school. Of course spent many a night up in Chantry flats with various young ladies.

Cheers, Steve

X2

We really did haunt all the same places! LoL

bocco

Reaction score
Grew up in Daly City just south of San Francisco. There was a Denny's three blocks from the high school. It was the spot to go if we cut school and the spot on the weekends for table racing. This was around 72 to 78. It got knocked down just a few months ago.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Grew up in Daly City just south of San Francisco. There was a Denny's three blocks from the high school. It was the spot to go if we cut school and the spot on the weekends for table racing. This was around 72 to 78. It got knocked down just a few months ago.
Daily City, I grew up south of there in Palo Alto. I remember the mountain near 101, behind the billboard we used to go four wheeling up that hill (72-73). What a blast. Those days are gone now, no one c as n four wheeling anywhere near there anymore.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I rode my dirt bike at the top of Daly City before we moved to Tahoe, the cops would try to catch us, we always got away. Late 70's

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I rode my dirt bike at the top of Daly City before we moved to Tahoe, the cops would try to catch us, we always got away. Late 70's
I think the mountain is called ,San Bruno. Mountain , LOL Ditching the cops sure was easy in the 70's, we never got caught either, I also Moved out of the bay to the Sierras north shore Tahoe- Truckee area

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I think the mountain is called ,San Bruno. Mountain , LOL Ditching the cops sure was easy in the 70's, we never got caught either, I also Moved out of the bay to the Sierras north shore Tahoe- Truckee area
Small world brother, we moved to Tahoe in 78

707dog

Reaction score
Did you guys ever run the drag strip there in Brisbane that was owned by the speed shop? I believe it turned into a pge yard now the train runs thru there.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Did you guys ever run the drag strip there in Brisbane that was owned by the speed shop? I believe it turned into a pge yard now the train runs thru there.
No, 1973-74 I ran the grudge racing at Fremont Drag strip, and then we went South of Moffett Federal Airfield off 101 and grudge race on new roads no buildings. It was awesome, I had a 350 in my 1967 Camaro, with a Z28 rear end, against a 1972 440 Charger, I got him in the first three gears, but he passed me in four gear.
Man were those the good old days, it was sad day after Fremont drag strip Closed down.

707dog

Reaction score
No, 1973-74 I ran the grudge racing at Fremont Drag strip, and then we went South of Moffett Federal Airfield off 101 and grudge race on new roads no buildings. It was awesome, I had a 350 in my 1967 Camaro, with a Z28 rear end, against a 1972 440 Charger, I got him in the first three gears, but he passed me in four gear.
Man were those the good old days, it was sad day after Fremont drag strip Closed down.
the 67 rs camaro i have had time slips from the brisbane strip and receipts from bolt on stuff from that speed shop in the trunk. the car had been sitting since 73 the owner blew the 327 up at fremont never got down the track to collect a slip, he pulled the motor sent it out to get rebuilt passed away later that year car sat ever since.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I grew up on the mean streets of Incline Village at Tahoe, the local 7-11 was the place to find out what was going on.

My parents had a house there from 1983 until 1992. I had some fun times there picking up girls in the summer. In winter I was too busy skiing to go out. Parents sold the house because my brothers and I, we preferred Whistler by the time we started driving.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Lets see here....

In high school, we just went out to the Sacramento River on ATV's and trucks. Always a bonfire involved.
Pre-21 it was usually a place on the river near Chico called Scotties as they allowed under 21 and had a dance floor. There was also racing on River Road, but as my 67 Mustang ran good but was no race car, I just watched.
After 21 it was Panama's, The Bear, and the Crazy Horse.

Good times.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Anybody have some good stories from the Lost Isle Club on the Delta, that place was crazy in the 80-90's

nameisbond

Reaction score
In my preteen years we hung out at a corner store. I started smoking at eleven and the owner of the store had no problem selling us cigarettes. Only bad thing about the 1980's, you could still smoke everywhere and nobody bothered us kids smoking. Even the cops! found a picture of the store on the internet. It was torn down and another store built there.
beach-store.jpg

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
@Deltarat @HighVoltage329 or @Bullet28 should have some ringer stories for that place... it sounded like it was havasu copper canyon atmosphere but only on a small island with real bars and music.

No doubt that was the place to go back in the day, let’s just say when you walked down the docks you would see it all. And I mean see it all, once on the island it was on for sure. The people watching was lets just say something to see. My friend wanted to go there for his bachelor party and I thought I would never get him off the island. Lots of fun then it got to where it was out of control at least from my point of view, shut down many times over codes of one kind or another. My buddy had to drive my boat home a time or two. If memory serves there was a stabbing and a guy ended up dying later and that was end of Lost Isle.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I grew up in Huntington Beach California and thru high school at HBHS class of 1976 .My father opened huntington beach auto supply and machine.

Chris Davidson's father would have been an officer in HB at that time. Did you ever run across him?

Riverhound

Reaction score
Grew up in Huntington Beach and during the high school years we always ended up cruising Balboa Island, then we'd move to Naugels on Brookhurst and Hamilton for a little late night munchies. Naugles was always a good gathering spot for, great vibe, lots of fun and the H.B. girls were always HOT! After high school, during the street racing days we'd end up off Beach Blvd and Imperial Highway in La Habra for a full night of shit talking while trying to get one the idiots to come race our "street legal" super gas car! Most nights we'd end up out at the Nabisco factory or if shit got serious i.e. big $$$$ Ontario out by the airport.

Those days were epic for sure

78Southwind

Reaction score
Grew up in Hacienda Heights. Usually someone’s party, the view, monster hill, always followed by In and Out at 7th and the 60. Good times! Circa late 80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn, your old. It seemed like every Friday and Saturday night there was a house party somewhere. One particular night, I remember doing some one night swapping. Monster Hill is that what we called the new view and view 2? I seem to remember a certain 65' Mustang full of beer getting confiscated / poured out at the view. Last stop, In-N-Out to get some Kind-Fries.... :cool:

79howard

Reaction score
Monster Hill is where we would 4X4 behind Alphabeta off of Colima.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
No doubt that was the place to go back in the day, let’s just say when you walked down the docks you would see it all. And I mean see it all, once on the island it was on for sure. The people watching was lets just say something to see. My friend wanted to go there for his bachelor party and I thought I would never get him off the island. Lots of fun then it got to where it was out of control at least from my point of view, shut down many times over codes of one kind or another. My buddy had to drive my boat home a time or two. If memory serves there was a stabbing and a guy ended up dying later and that was end of Lost Isle.
Sometimes the docks were wilder than the bar, those big ass Mai Tai's were killer. I left there one evening and there were 7 sheriff boats right outside the cove, the place for sure got too out of control, was a ton of fun!

milkmoney

Reaction score
My hangout was , Petaluma Blvd, we cruised up and down, hung out on the sidewalks, parking lots on the blvd .......also drag racing on fretais rd ....also my mother as a kid cruised the Blvd. Well mostly as a kid as she married my father at 15

For those that dont know where it is . Its where American graffiti was filmed

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Peoria in shadow Hills lived right around the corner from it...
... Toluca Lake Bob’s big boy...
... River Rd., Forest lawn...
...La Tuna Canyon...
... North Hollywood Bob’s big boy...
...Our house at the corner of Helen and Sunland in shadow Hills was a big hang out...
...Our house in Malibu another big hang out...
...Wentworth in shadow Hills...
... Mulholland Drive when we felt like making a few turns...
... Laurel canyon during the hippie music days...
... Topanga canyon during the hippie music days...
... Whiskey a gogo...
... Ash Grove...
...Doug Westons troubadour...
... Peter Lawford’s house on Doheney off of Sunset...
... The brass ring on Ventura Boulevard...
... Mr. Benjamin’s on Sepulveda...
...The Corral in Topanga canyon...
...Mammoth Mt...
...Times restaurant...sun Vslley
...Crazy’s restaurant...sun Valley
...Buds Donuts...Sun Valley...
...The Hideaway...Kagel Cyn..,
...The shadow Hills Lounge..,
...The Amber Glow...Shadow Hills...
..,Georgia’s Pizza...Sun Valley...San Fernando and Burbank...
...The Tonga Hut...North Hollywood...
...Van Nuys Bobs Big boy...

92 cole

Reaction score
Chris Davidson's father would have been an officer in HB at that time. Did you ever run across him?
Yes I did Brian Davidson along with Bob Long and a few others. As I stated most were customers of our shop, so we met!

bocco

Reaction score

I forgot to mention the A&W drive in in Daly City. Late 70s. It was on the corner of John Daly blvd and Lake Merced blvd. That was the place to hang out before the street racing started in San Francisco at Brotherhood way or the Great highway out near Playland.