WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car duster & cover ????

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I bought a nice clean older pickup from Bigbore500r a few months ago. I don't have a garage to keep it. The truck is black. What is the best duster (CA duster or ??) & are the cheap car covers from Autozone etc worth the money? Thanks for any advice.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Indoors or outdoors. California car covers have a bitchin fleece for indoor. I havent really had any one outdoor outlast others.

For the car duster, get the wood handle ones, every pladtic i have had was a mess and would smear

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I think you can get them from Costco also.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I was told to buy a California duster and I was less than impressed with it. It left tiny little red hairs on my black car. As far as covers go, I've had many but have been really happy with this one. www.carcovers.com Go with the Platinum Shield Car Cover. It's good indoors and outdoors, keeps the dust out, has a very soft fleece on the inside....just a great cover for a black car.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
If your truck is nice, there is no way in hell I'd let a duster touch it. Recipe for scratches.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
This truck is a very nicely cared for 2002 with 150k miles so it's no show truck, it's a driver. I just want to take care of it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Dusters are really only good for dust from relatively clean showrooms or warehouses. If the truck is outside under cover, the dust it will get will be less, but any darker colors I'd shy away from a duster on. Swirlys suck. A good wax coat first helps this though. I don't know about the ceramic stuff, that may be the ticket.

707dog

Reaction score
I was told to buy a California duster and I was less than impressed with it. It left tiny little red hairs on my black car. As far as covers go, I've had many but have been really happy with this one. www.carcovers.com Go with the Platinum Shield Car Cover. It's good indoors and outdoors, keeps the dust out, has a very soft fleece on the inside....just a great cover for a black car.
that is what i got for my impala fits very nice...got one for the camaro also just need to get paint on it first...lol

rob as mentioned those dusters work good for very light stuff i got a older wooden handle one still works good but i find it more now i use slick mist and a micro rag looks just like i washed it.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I've always gone with the 2 cover method.
Soft cover and then a tarp over it to keep the Dirt off the dust cover.
Dust covers exposed to the outside elements turn into sand paper when the wind blows.

floatn turd

Reaction score
You can successfully store anything outside.
The question is how often will you use it and how much trouble are you willing to go thru to cove / uncover it?

I have had the most expensive covers you can buy for a truck and the $50 crap ones from Ebay.
They will ALL last the same amount of time in Southern Ca. without sun protection.

What I use and why:
Cheap car covers, good tarps and rope around the whole thing (like a stripes on a candy cane)

I use the crappy covers because I can replace them 4-5 times over, for every 1 expensive cover bought.
  • The good tarps will take the beating from the sun.
  • The rope will keep the wind from tearing / shredding anything, as well as moving the dirty ass cover around on your paint. (no movement = no fine scratches)
  • Get wheel covers as well.
  • Always wash your car before you wrap it.
  • And if you are really anal, you can put old soft sheets between your paint and the cheap car cover.
It is a straight pain in the ass if you use your car regularly.
It takes me about 30 mins to "wrap" my truck.
But
It keeps it out of site and looking as nice as possible.
Here's a pic but I only have 1 small tarp on it.
(the crappy cover was about ready for the trash can, so I didn't hassle with the 20ft tarp)

FT
Cover.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
You can successfully store anything outside.
The question is how often will you use it and how much trouble are you willing to go thru to cove / uncover it?

I have had the most expensive covers you can buy for a truck and the $50 crap ones from Ebay.
They will ALL last the same amount of time in Southern Ca. without sun protection.

What I use and why:
Cheap car covers, good tarps and rope around the whole thing (like a stripes on a candy cane)

I use the crappy covers because I can replace them 4-5 times over, for every 1 expensive cover bought.
  • The good tarps will take the beating from the sun.
  • The rope will keep the wind from tearing / shredding anything, as well as moving the dirty ass cover around on your paint. (no movement = no fine scratches)
  • Get wheel covers as well.
  • Always wash your car before you wrap it.
  • And if you are really anal, you can put old soft sheets between your paint and the cheap car cover.
It is a straight pain in the ass if you use your car regularly.
It takes me about 30 mins to "wrap" my truck.
But
It keeps it out of site and looking as nice as possible.
Here's a pic but I only have 1 small tarp on it.
(the crappy cover was about ready for the trash can, so I didn't hassle with the 20ft tarp)

FT
View attachment 845907
Like a BOSS. :cool:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Ok guys thank you!
Please understand this is a daily driver that I'm looking to take care of. No chance of 2 covers going on it, etc. Thanks for any help.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Ok guys thank you!
Please understand this is a daily driver that I'm looking to take care of. No chance of 2 covers going on it, etc. Thanks for any help.

Then just get a crappy cover because any cloth cover you get will last a year to year 1/2 max in California.

FT

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I have found these work better than a duster and easier on the finish. There is a cordless version also I just cant remember who makes it. Or just get a small cordless leaf blower.

9-23-2019 - JetSpeed VX6 - ACC_303-8408 2000x2000.jpg

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Get your car all polished up and apply a ceramic coating to it. Even something spray on. When I leave in the morning my I just rinse it off with the hose and the dirt/dust doesn’t stick to it. A car cover is just gonna get dirt up inside it and it’s gonna get wet from the morning dew and be a giant pain in the ass. I tried doing it with one of my other cars and finally gave up. Even a cheap spray coating works well (I’m using chemical guys v7 now, it’s easy to apply) it just doesn’t last as long as some of the other more professional coatings.

dragging a duster over it is just gonna leave you with a ton of spider webs/scratches.

3023F261-EC9C-4BCD-B960-9B09FC377806.jpeg

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
I'm in the same "boat". Needed a diesel to tow the Cigarette and drive to work so bought a VERY well cared for low mileage duramax from Andy on here. Pretty sure he kept it in the garage it's whole life as the paint looks brand new (as does everything else on it). My garage isn't big enough to store it and to make matter worse, I live on the beach so, not exactly a great environment to keep a vehicle outside (for example I had the brakes changed on our Yukon a few months back and the guy said, "You park your vehicle with the drivers side facing the beach don't you?" I said, yea. He says, "I can tell, drivers side brakes were rusted to shit and locked up. Passenger side was normal wear and tear." 😳

Andy gave me a nice cover with the truck and I've used it a couple times but when it gets windy, it's useless. I purchased an unlimited car wash quick pass for the drive through / hand dry car wash place around the corner from my work. I'll usually run it through twice a week. The truck sits for 3 days a week usually so I'll get it washed before it sits, usually run a spray wax detailer over it after the wash. Basically just try to keep it clean and nice. Cover sometimes, usually not though.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
California Car covers has great selection for any environment. Fit like a glove, custom for the vehicle.
Had to leave my truck outside in Vegas for 2 years and no dust, no paint rub and stayed in place. Even after rain etc. was clean as when the cover went on.
172C5A1D-B919-4FC0-9628-A146D0505218.jpeg