WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1 dog at vet, 1 dog in jail...and a trip to the ER

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My two male ridgebacks got into it...bad. Never done anything like this in the six years we've had them. The bigger of the two was the aggressor. I tried, and eventually succeded in, breaking them up. Damage was done, to me and the smaller dog. I spent a couple hours in the ER, left hand and arm pretty trashed. Bicep got nailed good, thumb got a nasty laceration and possibly seperated the knuckle...and a few puntures. Smaller dog (Chase) is at the vet now.

Bigger dog (DJ) was "picked up by authorities". I can't see him coming home. I can't see him being re-homed. He has become aggressive this past year or so. Never to humans, but other dogs and animals. Now though, he got me. I love this dog, would hang out in the shop with me, just always been more mine than the family's.

I can't help but think what could have happened if it were my kids and not me. I am not small, nor particularly weak. I got my ass handed to me. I think I know what needs to be done...but fuck, it sucks.

Sorry, mostly venting. Stressed and depressed.

4Waters

Reaction score
Glad it was you and not the kids, sorry you and the smaller dog got so chewed up but if the bigger dog needs to be put down go see if he is aggressive towards you and if not be by his side when he goes that way he doesn't feel like his owner gave up on him.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Man. These are tough situations. I've been close to one of these deals. A friend's dog bit my then 8 year old in the face and neck 🤬. Tried to kill him, but my son's jawbone got in the way. They didn't put the dog down, and it ended our friendship. Some stuff just needs to happen. Sucks.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Glad it was you and not the kids, sorry you and the smaller dog got so chewed up but if the bigger dog needs to be put down go see if he is aggressive towards you and if not be by his side when he goes that way he doesn't feel like his owner gave up on him.
That's what I'm thinking. He wasn't at all aggressive towards me today...and now I'm just a crying little kid thinking about it...after 6 years, he's still my "puppy". Damn...that's about all I keep thinking.

Riverryder

Reaction score
This hits home big time! We had to put my dogs dad down for attacking a dog. To many kids around them to risk them attacking one of them.
Couple months ago my brother had to put my dogs brother down, he had tumors on his spine that caused his rear legs to no work and would try to bite anyone who would touch him.
Once again to many kids are to risk it.

Dam dogs touch our souls so it hurts more to me losing a dog then a extended family member!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BingerFang

Reaction score
Dam, very sorry to hear. I have a 9 year old male german shepard with a heart of gold but if he even looks at another male dog he goes bezerk. He is perfectly fine with small children, strangers and female dogs, but I can't take him out anymore if I know there will be even a slight chance other male dogs will be around.

ssc

Reaction score
Tough situation. I have been there myself. I used to have Rotts and one particular bitch was wicked. However, she would have given her life for my kids and wife. The problem was that when she got to be a year or so, she started fighting with my other rotts. I got chewed up breaking it up two times and had trips to the emergency vet etc. Once was during a party and small kids were close by. Without getting into the details, I decided to kick emotions to the curb. The reality is that I couldn't trust the dog and it was an accident that I knew WOULD happen. My position was that I could leave a loaded gun on the floor in a room full of children and tell them not to touch it and walk away. You just know in your mind that sooner or later, a kid will pick it up and the results are not going to be good.

I raised her from a pup and she would sit in my lap, but reality is harsh and so would be the results if I didn't remove her from the situation. I wish you the best, but the decision is obvious.

Sorry, Steve

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I hate reading things like this. It sucks.

Years ago me and the SO separated....she took her dog, I missed the dog, I found a new dog...puggle. Puggle dogs are cool. This one looked like Alice Cooper...had black coloring that matched his stage makeup under her eyes. I had an old lathe, and when I was out in the garage turning perfectly good material into chips, she would curl up on the pile of chips under the lathe and just hang out. She followed me everywhere, curled up with me in bed at night, and turned into my best friend. Me and Momma got back together, she moved back in and brought her dog back....who was the alpha, but in my dogs eyes...she is the alpha. Great, now we have 2 that think they run the place. There was some aggression and some fights, but nothing that got out of hand...until I knocked up Momma....now we have a clash of the female hormones and my dog started being a complete asshole...biting, tearing shit up, looking us straight in the eye and squatting to piss in the middle of the room. She damn near tore my thumb off on time and that was it....FREE DOG went up on Craigslist...nice family picked her up. We stayed in touch for about 5 years...dog is doing great and the new owners describe her the same way I remember her when it was just her and me....awesome.

Figure out what the trigger was that caused the dog to flip...there is a trigger, there has to be. Fix that and it'll be a good dog again. Maybe not for you, but for someone else..and if that saves the poor mutt, then it's worth the effort.

jetur

Reaction score
That sucks, I have been there. Long story short ended up rehoming the dog to a ranch and all went well.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, second wound cleaning of the day for me...thumb looks like a fat, over boiled sausage, and middle fingertip looks like it exploded.
Chase, the pup at the vet, got his wound cleaned, and wearing a T-shirt. Vet wants to see him in a week to check healing. If bad, surgery...

I spoke with the animal control guy. I'll be talking with the Humane Society people in the morning. Animal control guy/ officer thinks that even with his (my pup's) late aggression, he may still be good for someone.

As pointed out above, the trigger seems to be proving he's Alpha. He's pretty sweet, nicknamed him Dopey years back. If he can live out a life somewhere, it would make me happy. I tear up thinking of putting him down. Really weird though, typing this with one hand...the dog I feel bad about is the one that tried to take off my other hand. I'm still in some physical pain, but more sad than anything.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Very sad to hear. Its gonna be tough no matter what you end up doing. Hopefully re-homing works out.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Really tough deal, I know how we feel about our dogs. Hope all works out well for everyone.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Sucks to read this. I missed it earlier.
You have Yotes nearby that are in heat. This is the season. I would give the old boy another chance after a beatdown. You are the ALPHA. They are both omega. It might not hurt to educate the other dog as well who is Boss.
That or put down one of your best friends.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Well, second wound cleaning of the day for me...thumb looks like a fat, over boiled sausage, and middle fingertip looks like it exploded.
Chase, the pup at the vet, got his wound cleaned, and wearing a T-shirt. Vet wants to see him in a week to check healing. If bad, surgery...

I spoke with the animal control guy. I'll be talking with the Humane Society people in the morning. Animal control guy/ officer thinks that even with his (my pup's) late aggression, he may still be good for someone.

As pointed out above, the trigger seems to be proving he's Alpha. He's pretty sweet, nicknamed him Dopey years back. If he can live out a life somewhere, it would make me happy. I tear up thinking of putting him down. Really weird though, typing this with one hand...the dog I feel bad about is the one that tried to take off my other hand. I'm still in some physical pain, but more sad than anything.

I'm impressed...and you should be too, that the animal control guy seems to have the animal's best interest in his mind. That's a huge step. If I were you, I would consider bringing them both back home...and the authorities shouldn't really have a problem with that unless someone else filed charges against you for the aggression, which I don't think they did. Please don't take the following words as insulting, but it may benefit you to take some dog training courses or even get a trainer to come out and work with both the humans and the dogs at the household...Cesar Milan kinda shit...

My dogs are family...if I get bit...and I have, I typically earned it. It's not the dog's fault, it's mine...for fucking with the dog. I'd sooner give the animal control guy a case of rapid onset lead poisoning than let him take one of my dogs away. They're part of the family.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I'm impressed...and you should be too, that the animal control guy seems to have the animal's best interest in his mind. That's a huge step. If I were you, I would consider bringing them both back home...and the authorities shouldn't really have a problem with that unless someone else filed charges against you for the aggression, which I don't think they did. Please don't take the following words as insulting, but it may benefit you to take some dog training courses or even get a trainer to come out and work with both the humans and the dogs at the household...Cesar Milan kinda shit...

My dogs are family...if I get bit...and I have, I typically earned it. It's not the dog's fault, it's mine...for fucking with the dog. I'd sooner give the animal control guy a case of rapid onset lead poisoning than let him take one of my dogs away. They're part of the family.
^^ yep!!

If you can get him home, all that.
And, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get a couple of kennels.

I know a guy with (3) Dobermans, (2) Belgian Mals, and a standard Poodle.
All are sports dogs, and even the poodle does IPO work.
He has to crate/rotate with a couple of them as they decided they don’t really care for this one or that one.
It’s not an optimal situation for me personally but the guy is doing what needs to be done to prevent fights breaking out.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
As the Alpha in my pack, I'd kick him out and not think twice. That's what would happen in the wild.

Find a rescue that will take him and say goodbye.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Hey Wrench,
How you doing this morning?
Sore and gimpy...lacing up boots and getting dressed takes a bit. 15 years ago, I had some paralysis in my left arm. There is still some nerve damage. Kind of going over things in my head now. Thinking that's why my left arm got so mangled. It's not as fast or strong as it should be. I should have been able to seperate them quicker.

@Gelcoater @lbhsbz @Carlson-jet ...the problem I have with keeping him is my kids. My oldest is 16, and she's maybe a 105lbs with a heart of gold. My boys aren't even 90lbs yet. I know they'd risk life and limb to stop a fight between the pups. I am not always here. I know they would have tried to do what I did. My pain, blood and possible disfigurement would be just another scar. It could be much worse for them, as DJ is pushing 80lbs of muscle. I understand what you all are saying.

These are far from easy decisions.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Man, sorry to hear this.

Like stated above sometimes a new home will change disposition. Keep us posted.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Sore and gimpy...lacing up boots and getting dressed takes a bit. 15 years ago, I had some paralysis in my left arm. There is still some nerve damage. Kind of going over things in my head now. Thinking that's why my left arm got so mangled. It's not as fast or strong as it should be. I should have been able to seperate them quicker.

@Gelcoater @lbhsbz @Carlson-jet ...the problem I have with keeping him is my kids. My oldest is 16, and she's maybe a 105lbs with a heart of gold. My boys aren't even 90lbs yet. I know they'd risk life and limb to stop a fight between the pups. I am not always here. I know they would have tried to do what I did. My pain, blood and possible disfigurement would be just another scar. It could be much worse for them, as DJ is pushing 80lbs of muscle. I understand what you all are saying.

Set up fire extinguishers around. They break up dog fights quick. Get him back and have a trainer come in and assess him. Then decide.

MeCasa16

Reaction score

Damn, I don’t envy your position. I know how hard this is, but your kids have to come first. I think you said it all when you admitted your kids would jump in without even thinking about it if it happened in front of them. If that happened, I can’t imagine how you would feel. Sometimes there are no good solutions, just better solutions. None will be easy. Best of luck in your recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mobldj

Reaction score
rescued a pit pup that had been used as a bait dog.he was pretty fked up.he was a great dog till he turned 3.then something snapped and he would attack our old senior who wouldnt hurt a fly.they got into in and i got fked up breaking it up.22 stitches in my calf.wasnt to much longer after that he attacted one of our other dogs.i took his last breath crying like a baby.there was nothing else i could do.rip one eyed willie.............
IMG_9522.JPG

NicPaus

Reaction score
Had a pit rescue attack my buddies golden yesterday at the river. He got bit by the rescue braking them up. Bleeding all over. Had to head home to go to the doc. 2nd dog its attacked here.

old rigger

Reaction score
We went through something similar last year. Against my better judgment we got a Red Dun bloodhound pup. We already have a Jack Russell and my wife was convinced she was lonely after having to put down our other dog, a black lab/Shepard mix. She was 15.
All was going great until the bloodhound started getting bigger, and bigger than the Jack. Working one day with the trainer the 2 of them got into it and to be separated. I always thought the Jack was the toughest dog on the planet but she took a beating from the hound. We had to find a new home for the bloodhound and it took a few weeks to find the right match. Finding that match and then giving her up was almost as hard as putting the other dog down.

lotta stitches and some drain tubes in the Jack.
73F27485-A680-4A16-AEF7-04977B68E5CA.jpeg
623C35C9-C83A-4FD7-9986-87BEECADBBC4.jpeg

EBT531

Reaction score
Having been through 5 live bite situations myself, keep the wound clean, LET IT BLEED!! The draining keeps it clean. It will swell like a bitch from the pressure damage but it goes away in a few weeks. If you see signs of infection, see a Dr! Don't wait or it can spread pretty quick. Image is from a training accident with a Boerboel. Same dog broke my hand another time.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 85

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Having been through 5 live bite situations myself, keep the wound clean, LET IT BLEED!! The draining keeps it clean. It will swell like a bitch from the pressure damage but it goes away in a few weeks. If you see signs of infection, see a Dr! Don't wait or it can spread pretty quick. Image is from a training accident with a Boerboel. Same dog broke my hand another time.
Just got back from the "wound check" at the doctors. That's about what they said. Clean the wounds twice a day. It will continue to leak, clear or reddish ok, pussy and hot are bad. They say it's all good now, but don't get comfortable and keep an eye on it. Bicep is sore, but works. Swelling in thumb is cartoonish, it won't bend. They said to keep it splinted for a week or so.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

stupid question.. but do you think if you let the situation play out they would have established their order and been ok from then on out?

EBT531

Reaction score
stupid question.. but do you think if you let the situation play out they would have established their order and been ok from then on out?

"most" dogs will keep fighting once it gets serious. Some get to enjoy it and it becomes more frequent. I haven't seen pics of the dogs but once they really start tearing each other up, its usually past the play and get along forever stage.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
"most" dogs will keep fighting once it gets serious. Some get to enjoy it and it becomes more frequent. I haven't seen pics of the dogs but once they really start tearing each other up, its usually past the play and get along forever stage.

Establishing a pecking order can be a pretty brutal thing sometimes.. but nobody said nature wasn’t brutal.

I have broken up a shit ton of dog fights, luckily never been bitten.. I usually grab em by the back of the neck and start lifting, usually they let go.

Two big dogs like ridgebacks, is the kinda deal where you grabsomething and hit em with it until they knock it the fuck off..

They use those things for chasing off lions and hyenas etc.. Freakin tough dogs.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Gosh, tough situation but you have a good handle on it. Speedy recovery to you and the pup.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think one would be dead, and one would be running up the vet bills. I tried the scruff of one neck, didn't work. Tried both, but I wasn't strong enough to separate them...at least one was airborne at that point. Then, I stepped back, and tried to punt. Not lightly at that point. Steel toe boots didn't so much as phase either of them.

No, no pics of dog injuries or mine. Daughter bandaged up the big ones ears, split and puntures on face and legs. Smaller one's face is swollen, and a pretty good rip in his armpit...also punture wounds and cuts on his legs. They were past playing, that's for sure. Sad deal.

Xring01

Reaction score

I was born and raised on a Ranch in Texas... we went thru dogs... lots of them..

To me, I love my dogs, but they are an animal, I can put them down at anytime if/when they deserve it.

In your case, Your big dog can never be trusted around you and your family again. To me, I am not sure I would want to give that problem to someone else's family. What if they got hurt, or that familys kids got hurt. I couldnt give that dog away and sleep at night.

But thats the way I was raised.

Hog hunting, we would start our the night with 5-6 dogs, and typically come home with 3-4. Hogs are vicious critters, but they cost my dad thousands in damages, so they had to go. Dogs were a great tool for the job. We had hunting dogs, cattle dogs, and ranch dogs. All had there jobs to do. When they didnt, or caused problems, then they went for a one way walk.

I live in CA now, but about 5 to 6 years ago, I had a 8 year old Springer Spaniel. I adopted at 2 years old from Springer Rescue site, and was almost a perfect dog. Until my neighbors got a dog, who loved to Fence Fight with my dog. In the beginning it wasnt much to worry about, as time went on, it got worse. In the beginning it took a 1 minute to get him away, then 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then he wouldnt stop, wouldnt listen, wouldnt back off. It got worse and worse. To the point a shock collar on max, wouldnt effect him. I eventually got bit in the leg. That was a 70lb Springer that was in the red zone. I was about 10ft away from him, trying to get his attention away from the fence, hit the button on the shock collar, nothing... again, nothing, screamed his name again, and boom, he was on me...

I almost killed that dog with my bare hands, (instincts, I picked him up by the throat while he latched to my leg, I saw red, about choked him to death, at least that was my immediate thought process) but I resisted the urge, let go of him. I took him to the vet at 8am the next day. Problem solved... but it cost me $75... Back in the day, in Texas, grabbed the nearest gun, and solved that problem immediately.

Saying all this, I am truly sorry for you and your family. I know it sux's. All I can offer is Dogs are not Humans, they dont think like us. If/When there balls drop and the world has to be submissive to them, you have a problem. The moment you lose trust with that Dog, dont feel guilty when you have to solve that problem.

Seen in it way to times with our dogs growing up. Majority of the dogs can figure it out, minority just go to far.

Next time, let the dogs figure it out themselves, never get in the middle of dog fight. Unless you have a big stick or pipe, but have a great exit plan when the 2x4 up side the head doesnt work.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I was born and raised on a Ranch in Texas... we went thru dogs... lots of them..

To me, I love my dogs, but they are an animal, I can put them down at anytime if/when they deserve it.

In your case, Your big dog can never be trusted around you and your family again. To me, I am not sure I would want to give that problem to someone else's family. What if they got hurt, or that familys kids got hurt. I couldnt give that dog away and sleep at night.

But thats the way I was raised.

Hog hunting, we would start our the night with 5-6 dogs, and typically come home with 3-4. Hogs are vicious critters, but they cost my dad thousands in damages, so they had to go. Dogs were a great tool for the job. We had hunting dogs, cattle dogs, and ranch dogs. All had there jobs to do. When they didnt, or caused problems, then they went for a one way walk.

I live in CA now, but about 5 to 6 years ago, I had a 8 year old Springer Spaniel. Who was adopted at 2 years old, and was almost a perfect dog. Until my neighbors got a dog, who loved to Fence Fight with my dog. In the beginning it wasnt much to worry about, as time went on, it got worse, it took be a 1 minute to get him away, then 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, he wouldnt stop, wouldnt listen, wouldnt back off. It got worse and worse. To the point a shock collar on max, wouldnt effect him. I eventually got bit in the leg. That was a 70lb Springer that was in the red zone.

I almost killed that dog with my bare hands, but I resisted the urge, took him to the vet at 8am the next day. Problem solved... but it cost me $75... Back in the day, in Texas, grabbed the nearest gun, and solved that problem immediately.

Saying all this, I am truly sorry for you and your family. I know it sux's. All I can offer is Dogs are not Humans, they dont think like us. If/When there balls drop and the world has to be submissive to them, you have a problem. The moment you lose trust with that Dog, dont feel guilty when you have to solve that problem.

Seen in it way to times with out dogs growing up. Majority of the dogs can figure it out, minority just go to far.
...and that there is the dilemma. Contrary to some views, I can't trust him and the other dogs with my kids. Can't, won't, however it's seen. He may be fine by himself, but what if a neighbor dog moved in, same situation? The Humane Society people got the whole rundown, as what I think set him off, and his quirks. Really, he's afraid of thunder if alone, and will hang out by the front door. Waiting to hear back from them. I figure they know more about animal behavior than I do. They also know the people around here and the area in general.

...but no, I don't want anyone to get hurt.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
My two male ridgebacks got into it...bad. Never done anything like this in the six years we've had them. The bigger of the two was the aggressor. I tried, and eventually succeded in, breaking them up. Damage was done, to me and the smaller dog. I spent a couple hours in the ER, left hand and arm pretty trashed. Bicep got nailed good, thumb got a nasty laceration and possibly seperated the knuckle...and a few puntures. Smaller dog (Chase) is at the vet now.

Bigger dog (DJ) was "picked up by authorities". I can't see him coming home. I can't see him being re-homed. He has become aggressive this past year or so. Never to humans, but other dogs and animals. Now though, he got me. I love this dog, would hang out in the shop with me, just always been more mine than the family's.

I can't help but think what could have happened if it were my kids and not me. I am not small, nor particularly weak. I got my ass handed to me. I think I know what needs to be done...but fuck, it sucks.

Sorry, mostly venting. Stressed and depressed.
Any chance the dog could be a "shop dog" and just live there, or is your shop at your residence?

Xring01

Reaction score
Its not an easy decision... its gonna suck.

But to me, In my opinion... Humans take precedence over Dogs...
There are alot Humans on this planet that need to go for a one way walk... but thats a different conversation.

Its just not worth the risk, your family or somone else's family is being put in danger if you give it away.

I have a scar right above my right knee, from the Springer bite... Like you, I thought I could handle the situation. If it would have been my 15 year old daughter at the time... it would have been bad, real bad.. A 70lb dog in the red zone is no joke.

Putting it down is how I solved the problem...

But everyone is entitled to there opinion... thats just mine.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
...and that there is the dilemma. Contrary to some views, I can't trust him and the other dogs with my kids. Can't, won't, however it's seen. He may be fine by himself, but what if a neighbor dog moved in, same situation? The Humane Society people got the whole rundown, as what I think set him off, and his quirks. Really, he's afraid of thunder if alone, and will hang out by the front door. Waiting to hear back from them. I figure they know more about animal behavior than I do. They also know the people around here and the area in general.

...but no, I don't want anyone to get hurt.

The situation is terrible, but if you are looking for reassurance on the decision.. zero % chance that dog would be coming back to my household.. and extremely low % it would be going to anyone else’s unless they flat out asked for it.

TripleB

Reaction score
Having had chows and have had to separate to many dog fights learned the hard way to do the easy way
Keep a bowl of pepper handy, fight breaks out throw the pepper between the 2, fight over

Riverryder

Reaction score
The situation is terrible, but if you are looking for reassurance on the decision.. zero % chance that dog would be coming back to my household.. and extremely low % it would be going to anyone else’s unless they flat out asked for it.
still dont think if someone asked for it would it be a good idea?
unless your a savage and have no care in the world. imagine even if they "asked for it" and you wake up one morning on the news that it mauled a kid walking up the street?
than you see the dog you gave to someone "asking for it" being walked on the end of the stick to the truck?
not on my watch.

dont be the reason someone else gets injured!

Riverryder

Reaction score
Next time, let the dogs figure it out themselves, never get in the middle of dog fight. Unless you have a big stick or pipe, but have a great exit plan when the 2x4 up side the head doesnt work.

society seems to have forgotten that dogs are animals! i love my dogs. couldn't imagine life without my 9 year old pit. she hasn't given me a reason to put her down. but i wouldn't hesitate if she did.

She is very alpha. most dogs that come next to her can sense it. my exes parents have a Jack Russell that is a complete bitch. she has gotten reminded a couple times that shes not alpha. most recently my dog toke a couple chunks out of her while they were all left alone for most the day.
that was the closest that we came to putting her down. but being that they were left alone and the dog wasn't killed cemented that is was just a fight for a reason the jack Russell.

ssc

Reaction score
MW, this thread has been on my mind. You know how I think. This is an easy decision, but emotionally tough. I have been there with my Rotts. I use to breed and train them. I had an akita once that was raised from a pup, but developed a "loose screw." It was not fun to take care of these situations, but it was absolutely necessary to do so in an expeditious fashion. You know inside what you have to do. The longer you wait the harder it becomes. I felt physically ill when I did what I had to do, but knew it was the right thing. Had a friend who was a big shot with animal control. The stories and pictures of what a dog can do is brutal. You risk the well being of your family with the dog there. This includes your ability to provide for them if you get chewed up again.

The dog is a liability to you and your family in more ways than one. If he chews up someone else or their pet, the lawsuit will be forthcoming. The dog is probably classified as a vicious animal. (In CA he would be) It sucks, but you need to take care of the problem to protect your family. Unfortunately been there done that and even had to deal with Riverside county twice regarding a vicious animal issue.

Sorry, Steve

Xring01

Reaction score
society seems to have forgotten that dogs are animals! i love my dogs. couldn't imagine life without my 9 year old pit. she hasn't given me a reason to put her down. but i wouldn't hesitate if she did.

She is very alpha. most dogs that come next to her can sense it. my exes parents have a Jack Russell that is a complete bitch. she has gotten reminded a couple times that shes not alpha. most recently my dog toke a couple chunks out of her while they were all left alone for most the day.
that was the closest that we came to putting her down. but being that they were left alone and the dog wasn't killed cemented that is was just a fight for a reason the jack Russell.

Never ever under estimate a Jack Russell...
My sister had one that was a Cat killing machine... female named Dot. She brought the heads back, left them on the front porch as a trophy.
Then it graduated to squirrels, Possums, Raccoons, Bobcats, Fox's, which was all ok. Lived on a Ranch in Texas... That dog loved killing shit, and hunted every night. That dog killed 3 Porcupines... got lit up with quills every time. My BIL would pull the quills out of Dot with Needle nose pliers. Did she learn the first time, obviously not, how about the second time... nope... damn I am cracking up about the memory of that dog...

Then it got a taste for the neighbors chickens and baby goats...
That was the end of the Jack Russell. Got caught in the act, neighbor solved the problem.

Neighbor was kind enough to bring Dot home (in a bag), so they could bury her.. There was no hard feelings in either direction, my sister was OK with it, cause thats what happens in Rural Texas.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Xring01 i hear you thos things are viscous. that's why my kids have never been able to go around her, she is very untrustworthy. it doesnt help that shes deaf. but she learned her lesson that day. kids mom had to pay 1500 for a 12 year old jack russell to get fixed up. i told her she should have just put the dog down. but she was scared to make the phone call to her parents.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the dilemma....cannot imagine having to do always having had small mild breeds. XRing....crazy stories from the ranch. My dad grew up on a ranch and they had a similar respect for dogs. They viewed them as workers and not so much pets. When they no longer could do their job without issue they went away.

Xring01

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the dilemma....cannot imagine having to do always having had small mild breeds. XRing....crazy stories from the ranch. My dad grew up on a ranch and they had a similar respect for dogs. They viewed them as workers and not so much pets. When they no longer could do their job without issue they went away.

In Texas,,, a Truck is a tool to get the job done..., just like a hammer, screw driver, gun, knife or ____________________________.
On a Ranch, Dogs are tools... when the tool fails, you replace it with one that works.... cause the job has to get done.

Another story,
If a dog got sprayed by a skunk... it got one pass... My dad would do everything to clean it up.. Tomatoe juice, Motor Oil, anything to kill the smell. Then he would smell like skunk. But he went out of his way to clean that dog up..

The second time that dog got sprayed by a skunk... dope..... you know what happens nexts... One way walk time....

Or Hog Hunting...
If a dog chased a Raccoon up a tree, and didnt chase or look for the hog... It was killed on site.. under that tree...
When I (about 6 years old) asked my dad, why did you kill that dog... "Cause its teaching all the other dogs bad habits, can't have that" ....

I dont treat dogs like my dad, Times have changed, but this is bringing up alot of dog memory's.

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
One of the best ways of ending a dog fight. Doesn't always work but will a good percentage of the time

Pick up the non-alpha dog by the back legs. Lift it as high as possible until it lets go of the other dog. Put that dog on its back in submission position.

Trying to stop a dog fight by the neck or anywhere near the front of a dog will almost guarantee getting bitten