WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone else hate the metric system?!?!

rivergames

Reaction score
Drives me nuts when tile companies overseas try and bring that metric bullshit to America. You want to work with Americans, speak Standard you summa bitch!
usa-gramdma-metric-system.jpg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Metric is great, if it's only used for stuff that was originally designed in metric. Imperial/Standard/whatever is also great if you keep it where it belongs. When the lines cross is where everything gets stupid.

How thick is a piece of 3/4" plywood?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Drives me nuts when tile companies overseas try and bring that metric bullshit to America. You want to work with Americans, speak Standard you summa bitch! View attachment 846851

Hate it with a passion...

Need a standard bolt? Coarse or fine thread? How long? What size? Done.

Need a metric bolt?? Ho Le Fuk....

A 10mm bolt could have four different thread pitches?

Yeah, F that. F metric. 👎

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Being accused of being a scientist, I am fairly proficient in both systems. I just cant stand it when they start mixing stuff. Yea cars from the mid 70's on are a mess.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Even worse - Wranglers
Throw some low grade torx head bolts in the mix, rounded over by the previous owner

I’m well enough versed in luxury Ive not had to work on or own a Fiat or Chrysler product to experience that particular level of hell.

At least the RZR is just Torx and metric.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Metric is good for some applications. When sailing worldwide metric is the common denominator. What’s a cubic yard of water weigh? WTF - who knows? But a cubic meter of water weighs exactly 1 metric ton. It was a good system for handling cargo, fuel and water. I learned to like it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yep. It actually started before that. I was working at Lincoln Mercury when they started putting metric fasteners on cars. Long azz time ago.

GM did it too...

Completely insane engineering.
I’m sure more than one engineer jumped from building back then.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m sure more than one engineer jumped from building back then.

Personally, I hope they were pushed...

That was the most frustrating time ever to be a dealership mechanic.

I was very happy moving to Lexus where Everything was metric. They were much more uniform on how they built their cars. Lexus would take guys off the wash rack and make techs out of them. That's how easy they were to work on.

Even Toyota wouldn't do that!!!!!!! lol

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I worked on some space programs at JPL and all those projects are designed in the metric system.

There’s all the countries that use the metric system and then there’s the one that’s been to the moon.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Yep. It actually started before that. I was working at Lincoln Mercury when they started putting metric fasteners on cars. Long azz time ago.

GM did it too...

Completely insane engineering.

I had an '81 Camaro years ago that was damn near half metric hardware on side and standard on the other side, crazy... I just figured some previous owner had a twisted sense of humor, lol...

Nordie

Reaction score
Metric is great, if it's only used for stuff that was originally designed in metric. Imperial/Standard/whatever is also great if you keep it where it belongs. When the lines cross is where everything gets stupid.

1/2" and 3/4" ply have not been true for years, however 5/8" seems to never change...but still fuck the metric system

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm used to using both........ I sometimes forget grocery shopping in the US. "I'll take 300 of the roast beef" gets strange looks at the deli counter.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Believe when Canada went metric there was an Air Canada flight which lost power at altitude. They successfully made a dead stick landing at an old air strip/race way. They had run out of fuel due to failed sensors, a miscalculation on the specific gravity of jet fuel and the switch to the metric system. Due to using the incorrect specific gravity the flight crew had mis-calculated the fuel on board in metric tons.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Believe when Canada went metric there was an Air Canada flight which lost power at altitude. They successfully made a dead stick landing at an old air strip/race way. They had run out of fuel due to failed sensors, a miscalculation on the specific gravity of jet fuel and the switch to the metric system. Due to using the incorrect specific gravity the flight crew had mis-calculated the fuel on board in metric tons.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
There’s all the countries that use the metric system and then there’s the one that’s been to the moon.
Agree with your point...However, often wondered if a great deal of engineering, research and fabrication was done in metric system for the Gemini / Apollo program? Mention this due to the overwhelming scientific nature of the development. The world of science runs on metric.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
In 1991 I began operating vessels internationally (metric system) after nearly 20 years of domestic operation (imperial system). It was an immediate change for all the vessel’s officers. We would check each other’s figures and calculations and not be too proud to ask for help when needed. Very happy to say no extreme or show stopping errors were made. We had arrived in the world of the professional, deep sea, blue water, International sailor. We had 3 common languages - English, International Rules of the Road and the Metric system. And they work.... at least most of the time. Lol

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I always say, there's no metric fasteners on the moon.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
2 kinds of countries, those who use metric and those who have walked on the moon. I know of shops that will charge a additional fee if they get prints in metric.
Yep
Someone brings in a print in my shop that’s metric it will cost more .

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I always say, there's no metric fasteners on the moon.
[/QUOTE
How sure are you about that? Beginning with high school chemistry then on to physics we operated in the metric world. I’m comfortable with both systems. But, science and technology do utilize the metric system.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
No I'm not, but, until somebody proves me wrong I'm sticking with it!

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Boat = standard, Ram Truck = standard/metric, Canam = metric. I'm from CA. I learned to accept it can be both, not just one or the other. I'm not a Chrysler fan, just accept that some are.

infield

Reaction score
If they could have at least started out with a meter being equal to a yard. Its the least they could have done. 39 inches. But those metric shingles covered faster.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
sure the shit not 3/4".....

how about CG DF 2" x 4"....
I getcha tho....

PS.... if we didn't already learn the American Standard measurements...

f.ing metric system is sure easier to use ... 1/10th divides much easier than 1/16", 1/32", 1/64"

lbhsbz

Reaction score
sure the shit not 3/4".....

how about CG DF 2" x 4"....
I getcha tho....

PS.... if we didn't already learn the American Standard measurements...

f.ing metric system is sure easier to use ... 1/10th divides much easier than 1/16", 1/32", 1/64"

That was kinda my point...All metric shit is called out at it's actual dimension. If I buy 18mm plywood (Baltic Birch)...it's 18mm. 3/4" plywood is closer to .703". 18mm is easier to deal with than .703. 2x4s ain't 2"x4", but the metric equivilent is a 45x90mm. Makes the math easier if you're building shit.

I have some 0.183 wall steel square tube. If I'm building a structure or anything, 4 or 5mm is way easier to dimension the assembly with. At least the conversion turned out easy enough....1.0mm being .040"

Once you get past the "new" of it after having worked in imperial for ever...and can picture the unit dimensions in your head like we all learned to do with imperial, it's a whole lot easier to deal with I think.

Maybe It's because I've been working with metric prints for the last 17 years.

spectras only

Reaction score
  • All precision measured in metric like it or not. Even your SAE parts are measured with WHAT IS CALLED MICROMETERS NOT INCHMETERS,LOL. I use both systems, my lathe can cut both ,metric or standard threads.
  • PRECISION MACHINING IN A WORLD OF MICRONS
    specs calling for a tolerance of +/- 2 microns. A micron (μm), or micrometer, is one millionth of a meter, The micron is a common unit of measurement for wavelengths of infrared radiation as well as sizes of cells and bacteria. manufactured components will be used in aerospace, defense, and medical applications, NUFF SAID.;):p

• Human hair: 50-100 μm
    • Dust mite: 3-10 μm
    • Fungal spores: 0.5–7 μm
    • Beach sand: 100-2000 μm
    • Eye of a needle: 1230 μm
    • Red blood cell: 6-8 μm
    • Spider web: 2-3 μm
    • Human vision: 40 μm
      (visible to the naked-eye)