WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best Option to Sell Car in California *won't pass smog*

Bear Down

Reaction score
So for 2 years I have been on borrowed time with my beloved Honda. Its had a bad Cat for 2 years and I have no interest in buying a replacement at $2k plus for new or $1200-$1500 for used ones with 80,000 miles plus, I just put $1000 worth of maintenance in the car and will be needing $650 tires in the summer. I have one shot of getting it "smogged", but you just don't know until it goes through, so in case I don't get it passed, what is the best route? My brother lives in Arizona, I was thinking of selling it to him, he can replace the bad Cats with a 49 state cat and having him register that car in AZ and selling back to me. I am not sure if that would even work or if there is a window of ownership required before registering back in California, I'm not that smart. Any suggestions?

2010 Accord V-6

Still looks the same as the picture..

Attachments

• IMAG2631.jpg
    IMAG2631.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 278

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Where are you in CA?

And no, if it’s a CA car...the fed cat might not even physically fit...plus, when comes back to CA, it would need a smog before registering it...so that won’t work.

There are other options though. What do you want for it as it sits...if you had to sell it without a smog? What would your price be with a legal smog cert?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Also, which cat is bad?

Bear Down

Reaction score
Also, which cat is bad?
It's both cats...

I have a oil consumption issue that Honda repaired under warranty at 98,000 miles but at 120,000 the cars went bad and it was to far removed from repair to get anything from Honda except 10% off labor at the dealership... i went through corporate...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
That reply suits your screen name. Lol

They work though. So many cat manifold assemblies lose some loading overtime. They still are working fine, and would pass the sniffer. Funny plenty of 96 up vehicles that won't pass sniffer, but plug them in they are good to go.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It's both cats...

I have a oil consumption issue that Honda repaired under warranty at 98,000 miles but at 120,000 the cars went bad and it was to far removed from repair to get anything from Honda except 10% off labor at the dealership... i went through corporate...

Well this info would have been good in the initial post.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Well this info would have been good in the initial post.
Well, I assumed disclosing I had bad cats meant they were...
.. um ...bad... lol.. a history is always good and helps... the devices you recommended mentioned they wont work post cat... I think in my case, means it's no good right?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Well, I assumed disclosing I had bad cats meant they were...
.. um ...bad... lol.. a history is always good and helps... the devices you recommended mentioned they wont work post cat... I think in my case, means it's no good right?

They will. Basically just pulls the downstream O2 out of direct flow. So it sees only partial flow. Here is a link.

Bear Down

Reaction score
They will. Basically just pulls the downstream O2 out of direct flow. So it sees only partial flow. Here is a link.

I'm in for the experiment.. do I need the straight cel fix or the angled cel fix?

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Yes... I agree, just need to prepare myself for their offer on a 171,000 car..

Yeah, the last time I used them it wasn’t too bad though. In my experience, they usually offer 80-90% of blue book. Of course that depends on a few factors and things could have changed since I’ve been there last.

Never hurts to go there and get an offer to see if that’s an option for you.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
It's both cats...

There are 4 cats. While I haven’t worked on a 2010 accord before, I’ve noticed that many vehicles have zero means to monitor the efficiency of the second (or rear) cats. Since post 2000 vehicles in CA only check the monitors using the OIS test, the rear cats are pointless for the sake of passing the emissions test, and only in place to make the vehicle pass the testing for approval to be sold.

I typically like to fix things right so that they are legal, but there is nothing illegal about leaving 2 completely inoperative rear cats in place, because there is no way for the OIS test system to sense their function.

If there are no O2 sensors behind the rear cats, I would simply replace the 2 front cats..which are most certainly monitored. Walker makes CA replacement front cats in the aftermarket for about $300 each.

Then you’re legal.

Those stupid anti-fouler spacers references by runs2rch won’t fix anything...they might make it pass, but if the inspector sees them, it will fail a visual. Many later model vehicles also use the rear o2 sensors for not only cat monitoring, but fuel control as well...so that’s a shitty way to “solve” your problem, and will very likely come with other consequences.

Last edited:

Bear Down

Reaction score
There are 4 cats. While I haven’t worked on a 2010 accord before, I’ve noticed that many vehicles have zero means to monitor the efficiency of the second (or rear) cats. Since post 2000 vehicles in CA only check the monitors using the OIS test, the rear cats are pointless for the sake of passing the emissions test, and only in place to make the vehicle pass the testing for approval to be sold.

I typically like to fix things right so that they are legal, but there is nothing illegal about leaving 2 completely inoperative rear cats in place, because there is no way for the OIS test system to sense their function.

If there are no O2 sensors behind the rear cats, I would simply replace the 2 front cats..which are most certainly monitored. Walker makes CA replacement front cats in the aftermarket for about $300 each.

Then you’re legal.

Those stupid anti-fouler spacers references by runs2rch won’t fix anything...they might make it pass, but if the inspector sees them, it will fail a visual. Many later model vehicles also use the rear o2 sensors for not only cat monitoring, but fuel control as well...so that’s a shitty way to “solve” your problem, and will very likely come with other consequences.
i will have to check to see if the rear cata have O2 sensors... Do you have a link to manufacturer? Any muffler shop can install correct?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
i will have to check to see if the rear cata have O2 sensors... Do you have a link to manufacturer? Any muffler shop can install correct?

Check RockAuto ... they sell Walker.

These are bolt on. No need for a muffler shop.

redone76

Reaction score
Would your brother let you register it at his place in AZ? The ticket for driving it in CA will be cheaper than the cats!

Bear Down

Reaction score
The ones I need replace is the $600, by the manifold... $200 ones are the rear ones...

Sure seems like there are a lot more options than 2 years ago

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It's both cats...

So for 2 years I have been on borrowed time with my beloved Honda. Its had a bad Cat for 2 years and I have no interest in buying a replacement at $2k plus for new or $1200-$1500 for used ones with 80,000 miles plus, I just put $1000 worth of maintenance in the car and will be needing $650 tires in the summer. I have one shot of getting it "smogged", but you just don't know until it goes through, so in case I don't get it passed, what is the best route? My brother lives in Arizona, I was thinking of selling it to him, he can replace the bad Cats with a 49 state cat and having him register that car in AZ and selling back to me. I am not sure if that would even work or if there is a window of ownership required before registering back in California, I'm not that smart. Any suggestions?

2010 Accord V-6

Still looks the same as the picture..
So being that the car is a 2010, it does not have to pass a sniffer - just the OBDII scan test. If the only issue is it is throwing a "catalytic converter efficiency below threshold" code, you need to get it to stop setting those codes and it will pass, even if the tailpipe is dirty. There's a few ways to do that....tuning may be one, or possibly "fooling" the rear 02 sensors with a resistor, or by pulling them slightly out of the exhaust stream with an extension.

Here's a fun fact for you - if a thief were to cut off your exhaust and steal it (which is common place with Honda's right now) - your insurance would replace it all with Dealer OEM stuff. ;)

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
any smog shop will visually inspect your o2 sensors to look for extensions. you toss those things on and you'll get flagged for inspection tampering with smog equipment. they dont fvck around with stuff like that as they'll lose their license. they're gonna plug into odbii, make sure it passes all readiness checks and then they're going to do a visual. they check the air intake, and the exhaust. you're gonna need a shop that turns a blind eye to the visual inspection.

get a carb cat and have it welded in.

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 12.03.16 PM.png

wings_of_eagles

Reaction score
Bear Down, I use a place in pomona, ca that helped me pass an 89 honda crx with oil in the cat, I think it was $200 for a replacement CAT.
ND Smog & Auto Repair
They take care of all my smog needs on my 5 vehicles
Pm me if you want more info.

Live in upland
Work in DTLA

lbhsbz

Reaction score
So being that the car is a 2010, it does not have to pass a sniffer - just the OBDII scan test. If the only issue is it is throwing a "catalytic converter efficiency below threshold" code, you need to get it to stop setting those codes and it will pass, even if the tailpipe is dirty. There's a few ways to do that....tuning may be one, or possibly "fooling" the rear 02 sensors with a resistor, or by pulling them slightly out of the exhaust stream with an extension.

Here's a fun fact for you - if a thief were to cut off your exhaust and steal it (which is common place with Honda's right now) - your insurance would replace it all with Dealer OEM stuff. ;)

Yore better than that

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
any smog shop will visually inspect your o2 sensors to look for extensions. you toss those things on and you'll get flagged for inspection tampering with smog equipment. they dont fvck around with stuff like that as they'll lose their license. they're gonna plug into odbii, make sure it passes all readiness checks and then they're going to do a visual. they check the air intake, and the exhaust. you're gonna need a shop that turns a blind eye to the visual inspection.

View attachment 851017
If they're thorough enough to crawl under the car and look for an 02 extension, they are gonna look for a shiny new Cat with no CARB numbers on it......

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The ones I need replace is the $600, by the manifold... $200 ones are the rear ones...

Sure seems like there are a lot more options than 2 years ago

Are these them?

sirbob

Reaction score
It's both cats...

By law any damage caused that has anything to do with smog equipment must be covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles. Possibly that oil issue could have caused the cats to go bad... etc

I don't know if the car will meet any of that but just thought I would trough it out for what its worth.

BMW did a full top end rebuild on a 328 we have because of a faulty vans valve that cause the cam to get out of sync and seize the engine. I thought we had to dump the car for parts until I found out about this little known mediatory warranty.

Our car was 8 years old with 140,000 miles at the time.

On another note - I replaced cats on my 1995 land rover for $300 per side at a muffler shop in Laguna Hills... That was parts and install. I have been smoged since then and it passed no problems.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Are these them?

Sure looks like them, but doesnt say if its 50 state compliant... that's a killer deal

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sure looks like them, but doesnt say if its 50 state compliant... that's a killer deal

It's not. Basically, get it to stop throwing the code by changing the cats. Then, find a smog guy who doesn't look so closely at the visual, and just scans / passes. They're out there. You'd have to have these shipped to a buddy in AZ or somewhere outside of CA and then have him send them to ya. They wont sell to CA direct because of CARB

Bear Down

Reaction score
It's not. Basically, get it to stop throwing the code by changing the cats. Then, find a smog guy who doesn't look so closely at the visual, and just scans / passes. They're out there. You'd have to have these shipped to a buddy in AZ or somewhere outside of CA and then have him send them to ya. They wont sell to CA direct because of CARB
Got it, makes sense now....

I'm starting to lean towards aftermarket replacement with 50 state cat.. I should be able to get 4 more years out of this car....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Got it, makes sense now....

I'm starting to lean towards aftermarket replacement with 50 state cat.. I should be able to get 4 more years out of this car....

Here's CARB legal, from Rockauto.com. Both sides, front cats.

1583360493838.png

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
If they're thorough enough to crawl under the car and look for an 02 extension, they are gonna look for a shiny new Cat with no CARB numbers on it......

look at the pic, its a carb cat. same one you posted...

merc_400r

Reaction score
Here's CARB legal, from Rockauto.com. Both sides, front cats.

View attachment 851059

I would go this route but don't expect them to last as long as oem. Also check warranty as well, I have had cats replaced that were 6 years old from the dealer, worth a shot.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

View attachment 851017
Visual on a car like that won't happen. They roll it in plug in and done. Also these techs don't even know what they are looking at.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Visual on a car like that won't happen. They roll it in plug in and done. Also these techs don't even know what they are looking at.
That's what i'm sayin. I'd slap the $90 49 state cats on, go get it smogged once the CEL is gone and monitors are ready, and be on my way. Just watch the tech. If he starts getting super anal and breaking out the creeper...."Oh man got an emergency, i'll come back!" and BAIL

Runs2rch

Reaction score
That's what i'm sayin. I'd slap the $90 49 state cats on, go get it smogged once the CEL is gone and monitors are ready, and be on my way. Just watch the tech. If he starts getting super anal and breaking out the creeper...."Oh man got an emergency, i'll come back!" and BAIL

The messed up part is the 49 and 50 state cats are the same loading. All cats are high load and high flow. Not like the old days when there were many different substrates and load levels.

River Runnin

Reaction score
......Claim to be a poor Leaf Licker! .... Start a Go Fund Me Page appealing to them! Just might get one of them Smart (Dumb) Cars! :D

77charger

Reaction score
Can also spectate at a local shop form a distance really easily too last local one i went to guy used a mirror to look under my truck at cats another place i took my work truck they just plugged in the computer.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Can also spectate at a local shop form a distance really easily too last local one i went to guy used a mirror to look under my truck at cats another place i took my work truck they just plugged in the computer.
Yep. Gotta find the shop with the young kid that is cranking out lines of cars.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Register it in a clean air environment like needles . I haven't had to smog 2 of my vehicles for years. When you get your registration on the back of it your able to change your address and keep your mailing address.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Can you buy cats on line and have them shipped to your brother, then have him ship to you. I did this one time for a car I was having issues with.