WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2016 YXZ Fox 2.5 shock quandary

Don Batman

Reaction score
Was going to do a simple oil change on them . Took them apart and all oil levels were 3" down. Never had any leaks. Definitely not full. All Reservoir IFP pistons jammed down in the bottom. Needed to blow them out by pressurizing the shock body. Cannot find any information on these guys. E mailed Fox - no reply. No way to pull them up to adjust height if pushed in too far that I can see. I filled reservoir then pushed oil down and left 2" cushion. Filled shock to 2" from top. Figured that piston / valving / bumper - etc. would raise oil level enough so that the cushion I left in the reservoir would keep the IFP piston off o the bottom. Any advice - other than " Keep out rookie " ?
Thanks
Don Batman

77charger

Reaction score
NOt familiar with those foxes but on the 2.0 you push the IFP down about 3/4th of way down resivoir fill the shock body about 2 inches from top slowly move the rod and piston to push oil into resevoir although you dont want the IFP to move.You may see the IFP move just a little is fine but you dont want it moving like and inch or so.

After this you then fill body with oil to about an inch from top push the bearing down put clip back in and get it filled with nitrogen.I made a tool to remove the IFP or keep it from getting sucked down when i am moving the shaf and piston after oil fill.

Oil can have been pushed into resevoir when yoou released the nitrogen and may have pushed down on the shock shaft without knowing where the IFP is uts hard to determine the proper level.I just rebuilt my 2.0s last night did oilchange and slight change on valving

Don Batman

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I just did the fronts today. Filled the reservoir full , put on the IFP and pushed it down to within 2" of bottom . Filled and bled shock body to within 1 " of top. Pushing all of the guts back in caused it to bleed some oil ( which I expected ) . IFP is definitely moving now. had to let out pressure to fully insert the shock shaft seal head to get snap ring on. Feel pretty good on how these went together. Need to re-do the rears to get more air out of them. Want to try as is to see if valving change is what I want.
Again - thank you 77charger for taking the time to help out.
Free tip of the day - I got tired of trying to muscle the shock shaft out of the body. Got a piece of PVC pipe ( 3" ) to replace the springs and put spring retainer on . Then just used the preload adjuster to push the shaft out. .

77charger

Reaction score
LOL yeh the
Thank you for the information. I just did the fronts today. Filled the reservoir full , put on the IFP and pushed it down to within 2" of bottom . Filled and bled shock body to within 1 " of top. Pushing all of the guts back in caused it to bleed some oil ( which I expected ) . IFP is definitely moving now. had to let out pressure to fully insert the shock shaft seal head to get snap ring on. Feel pretty good on how these went together. Need to re-do the rears to get more air out of them. Want to try as is to see if valving change is what I want.
Again - thank you 77charger for taking the time to help out.
Free tip of the day - I got tired of trying to muscle the shock shaft out of the body. Got a piece of PVC pipe ( 3" ) to replace the springs and put spring retainer on . Then just used the preload adjuster to push the shaft out. .
LOL yeh getting the shock shaft out can be a pain the suction is holding it in first time i pulled one i had on ground with bolt thru the eye and was feet on that pulling up then heard a pop damn shock fell over spilled all the oil all over my pants and shoes.Now i set in a vice use a mallet to tap the shaft up til the bearing creeps up and exposes o ring then wiggle it out.Ive been taking care of my groups shocks lately for their cars that have needed rebuilds or repair and brothers 2.5 bypasses that needed an oil change and minor service last minute trip but shock place was 2 weeks out so i took them on and was easy as my 2.0s

For the snap ring you can thread the cap on slightly then use mallet to tap it down normally it will push bearing down just enough to put snap ring on and release pressure on the shcraeder valve at the same time.IFP position doesnt matter once oil filled.