WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

No Speed Limit for Semis in CA?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So I did a turn around trip to 40/95 exit to pick up a 1/4 steer from @wash11 and his wife. California speed limit for semi trucks is 55. They're usually pretty good about staying around 60ish.

Today, I swear every single semi I saw was going 65+. Is there some unspoken non-enforcement going on because shipping is super important during this lockdown?

Reactions: DWC

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Truckers are always crawling up my ass, I stay pretty much around 70

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
The freeways are emptier than they have been in maybe decades

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Traffic is light. Move to the left and let them roll. They are Southbound and Down!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I drive the 40 a lot, imo the big rigs are flying sometimes. I don't feel its anything new. And for what it is worth I have seen CHP stopping lots more of them recently.

I set my cruise control right at 79, the vehicles doing over 80 and more are gonna get tickets at the bottom of the hill. On a few of the downhill grades, I can watch vehicles blow by me and I call em "bait", tell my wife to watch this and pop, what do ya know here comes the chippy after them, and we drive right by. :cool:

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Leave the truckers alone and let them work
No complaints here! I just found it interesting.

I didn’t have to sit behind one for 5 minutes going 60 while it passed another truck going 59. So I’m a fan of it!

BingerFang

Reaction score
Isn't CA the only state that has a seperate speed limit for the truckers?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Isn't CA the only state that has a seperate speed limit for the truckers?
Cali is one of the worst....Multiple states run speed by axle count, weight or day/night. With Cali, it just hits you hard coming out of Az...the speed limits are the same for cars and semis, so you tend to be rolling about 75.

If the OP was headed west from Wash11's place, it's down hill rolling into Kingman too :D

Loony Toon

Reaction score
I been driving the 40 every two week, sometimes a little more often for the past seven years. When the trucks are rolling 65-70 you know CHP is either not out there or just letting things move along. Like Throttle I set the cruse control at 78, play some tunes or talk radio and get home in one piece. When i'm headed back to Cali for work I'm defiantly in no hurry to get back to this mess.

Sandlord

Reaction score
I dont know if its related or not, but the cops here are not pulling anyone over.

RodnJen

Reaction score
So I did a turn around trip to 40/95 exit to pick up a 1/4 steer from @wash11 and his wife. California speed limit for semi trucks is 55. They're usually pretty good about staying around 60ish.

Today, I swear every single semi I saw was going 65+. Is there some unspoken non-enforcement going on because shipping is super important during this lockdown?

It’s nothing new. They, and everyone else, drive like that all the time.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I dont know if its related or not, but the cops here are not pulling anyone over.
Says the guy who will get a ticket tomorrow. :D I have a detector but just today went kind of fast past a cop coming out of the side street. I didn't put it on because it was a short trip.....I was lucky....don't like talking about it....bad juju.:p

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

city leo's are seeing an increase of domestic calls, it might make sense that there are not that many offenders on the roads right now.

lenmann

Reaction score
I drove from Avi (Laughlin/Needles) via 40, 58, and 5 to Redding, CA on Thursday/Friday towing my toy hauler at my usual 62 mph. Normally this keeps me in pace with most semi's and out of the attention of the CHP.

I saw 2 CHP the whole 720 miles and the trucks were passing me like I was standing still. I have heard that LEO's are hanging tight to stations and responding to calls only as needed. Maybe the CHP is reducing enforcement and officer exposure?

gqchris

Reaction score
I drove from Avi (Laughlin/Needles) via 40, 58, and 5 to Redding, CA on Thursday/Friday towing my toy hauler at my usual 62 mph. Normally this keeps me in pace with most semi's and out of the attention of the CHP.

I saw 2 CHP the whole 720 miles and the trucks were passing me like I was standing still. I have heard that LEO's are hanging tight to stations and responding to calls only as needed. Maybe the CHP is reducing enforcement and officer exposure?

Same here. I came out Saturday on the 40. I was in my RV towing and I keep it around 62-63mo. Trucks were blasting by me. The one that kept pissing me off had a bunch of beehives stacked up! Fucking bees everywhere. I never let him pass. Rv is plastered with dead bees.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
We’re still out there, I promise.

IMG_6436.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Maybe the CHP is reducing enforcement and officer exposure?

This.
Cops don’t want to get sick.
And their departments don’t want them to get sick.

Not just CHP, it’s departments across the nation.

I have a feeling most departments are following these guidelines:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wzuber

Reaction score
That looks like Water rd/I-40 E-bound.
I got stopped there last year after I went by CHP parked between the gravel piles on the downhill side. Coolest CHPer ever. Level headed, reasonable dude. Best CHP experience in 33 yrs of driving CA.
LOL.....Look at you suckin up.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Most Semi truck tires are not rated for high speeds, they will fall apart.
1584948351848.png

FCT

Reaction score
Rolled north of Las Vegas and back the long way through searchlight today from so cal and didn’t see one cop! It was weird seeing all the lights off at night.

beerrun

Reaction score
I used to drive a race hauler and when we raced we would run a chase truck in front and one behind me so we could run up around 80

pronstar

Reaction score
The speedlimt in parts of Texas and Utah for semis is 80

Yup.

I’ve been across west Texas at night with the cruise control set to 95 mph, and I was very slowly reeling trucks in. They were doing well over 80.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Did Ca. do away with lane restriction? Been seeing trucks in the fast lane lately in the city areas.

pronstar

Reaction score
Laws haven’t changed.
Enforcement has.

84miller

Reaction score
Use to be, note use to be....major trucking companies had all their trucks governed to 65 max.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Maybe some of those old boys will break out the Rooster Cruisers and get shit done. :D

Last edited:

Quicksilver

Reaction score
I drive for a company with a large fleet that runs in California. Some of our guys will run 65 when possible. I go a little slower and set the cruise around 62. I rarely see any semi doing 55 and when I do it seems to cause a more dangerous situation with cars trying to get around that truck holding up traffic.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
That looks like Water rd/I-40 E-bound.
I got stopped there last year after I went by CHP parked between the gravel piles on the downhill side. Coolest CHPer ever. Level headed, reasonable dude. Best CHP experience in 33 yrs of driving CA.

CHP's sitting at Water Road is akin to shooting fish in a barrel. Reminds me of the Chippy who parked across from the Sail Inn at Havasu Landing and would cite us touching the asphalt roadway while in our golf carts.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
i also have a cdl class a, are you gonna stop me for doing 70?

While I won’t reveal my personal beliefs... I will say that 70 in a big rig is a misdemeanor, and carries 2 points if convicted.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
While I won’t reveal my personal beliefs... I will say that 70 in a big rig is a misdemeanor, and carries 2 points if convicted.
I’m sure that would be an enlightening conversation. 🤣

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
California and it's antiquated 1950's laws.

Dan'l