WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Oil Based Paint

Nordie

Reaction score
Why is it kicking my ass? I'm trying to finish these floating shelves and I cannot get the desired finish on them (orange peel). Water based is not an option. I did break down and buy a HVLP gun, but maybe my settings on the gun are wrong. I'll check on them later to see if they leveled out a little bit. Any recommendations on actually thinning it? I know I am getting close, but I really don't want to clear and polish.

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
HVLP is gonna take a bit more thinning than usual to spray and flow. Good quality oil base is key as well. Sounds like thinning issue. Start at 10% test on something and move on up possibly as high as 20 % thinning depending on the material you are using. Test on something besides surface you are painting till you get dialed in. Quality gun working correctly is key also. Good luck.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Be Careful thinning to much or you will have runs to the floor. I like to thin with paint thinner then add a little bit of Acetone to make it dry a little faster. I like to set my spray gun up with a piece of flat metal, you can see how it sprays, then see if it is too thin and starts to run. An old real estate sign works good if you can find one.

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
Absolutey! Little bit of acetone. To much will skin the top and once bottom dries will crinkle the top. Also when you say HVLP are you using a turbine power unit with heated air or just a DIY air compressor air supplied unit?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I have used their products for latex and it is great. Extend flash time so you have to be sure the area is a little more dust free. I have not used the oil and I am assuming that it works as good. I have rolled paint and it looks like it was sprayed. I would try the product with your pans that roll with a foam roller or small nap. It that does not work try to spray if still not happy thin the paint and spray. There is a max that you can thin paint I’d check with the paint manufacturer.

These are the first things I used it on. After that I put the product in ALL the paint that I buy.

A48C7C88-81EF-4B71-BD17-28E63069CD4F.jpeg

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Sherwin Williams has a hybrid paint that works really well. Lays out sweet with the HVLP.

I think it is the Pro Industrial. My guys spray doors and cabinets with it. Lays out like factory coating.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I used latex for our house inside and out, Semi gloss for kitchen no problems, with rollers and brushes. It sealed the wood better than spraying. I have a small outside area that was sprayed, and the rest of the house was rolled and brushed on. The sprayed area did not hold up as long as the rolled on and brushed area.

Last edited:

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
Sherwin Williams has a hybrid paint that works really well. Lays out sweet with the HVLP.

I think it is the Pro Industrial. My guys spray doors and cabinets with it. Lays out like factory coating.

Pro Industrial is good stuff. Urethane Hybrid. Has oil emulsion. Sticks to everything like oil. Only problem with it and oil as well is it yellows over time. Great product tho.

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
Why is it kicking my ass? I'm trying to finish these floating shelves and I cannot get the desired finish on them (orange peel). Water based is not an option. I did break down and buy a HVLP gun, but maybe my settings on the gun are wrong. I'll check on them later to see if they leveled out a little bit. Any recommendations on actually thinning it? I know I am getting close, but I really don't want to clear and polish.
I failed to ask what state you are painting in? California complaint paint thinner is garbage. And it has a ton of acetone in it already.

Nordie

Reaction score
I failed to ask what state you are painting in? California complaint paint thinner is garbage. And it has a ton of acetone in it already.

Right next door in Nevada, so it's probably the same. I just walked out in the garage and checked my test peice out and I'm actually surprised it leveled out pretty decent. I think a little more practice it's going to be just right. I'm not using anything fancy at all, but I did throw a filter on the compressor.

endobear

Reaction score
Usually we spray as to not get textured finish.
Typically we get an orange peal finish if it drys to fast, high temps or not enough atomization out of the gun.
If you need an orange peal finish you can always tip it off with a mo hair nap right after you spray.
Make sure you are reducing with normal mineral spirits. Not the low odor garbage.

Nordie

Reaction score
Usually we spray as to not get textured finish.
Typically we get an orange peal finish if it drys to fast, high temps or not enough atomization out of the gun.
If you need an orange peal finish you can always tip it off with a mo hair nap right after you spray.
Make sure you are reducing with normal mineral spirits. Not the low odor garbage.

I did end up with some orange peel, not as bad as I thought. So I am guessing I had too much air? I am going to try again this weekend, it's getting pretty windy here right now, If nothing else I'll head to my buddies spray booth and maybe that will help.

endobear

Reaction score
Put some Penetrol in it.
That will slow the dying down and allow it to level better.

Nordie

Reaction score
I'll give that a go tomorrow. I practiced on it again tonight, I'll be sanding it off, but looks a lot better than yesterday's attempt, I spent some more time with the gun today and adjusting it. I talked to my uncle briefly yesterday and he recommended floetrol, and told me to go thinner than I think I should. I did thin 20% today using paint thinner. I can always sand this stuff off, but I am determined. Thanks again for all of the advice