WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What would you do? Chevrolet Silverado

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the time has come to make a hard decision on my 2008 silverado. A couple thousand miles ago my oil pressure sending unit went out, got it replaced, and yesterday I got the low oil light again. Took it to the same place thinking it was the same thing, and it looks like the motor is junk. 150k miles, babied, bought it new with 6 miles on it. Thought it would last longer....

I don’t like car payments that much, times are a little weird right now, and just bought a new model 3 for my wife last Aug. We are still employed and have the money for something new ,but I was hoping to get into a house after this blows over.

1. Slap a new/rebuilt engine in there. I have the 5.3l and don’t know what this would cost, but I’m sure I could pay cash.

2. Junk it and buy something older with 4WD. Not having 4WD has been something I disliked about the truck, but lived with for 12 years. Maybe $15k and pay cash.

3.Go the same route above but get something a little nicer and have a small payment. Maybe $30k. Thinking late model GX460, maybe a Tacoma, etc. Something that would hold me over for a while.

4. Throw caution to the wind and get a new Tremor, Power Wagon, maybe be a little conservative and get the ZR2. “I’ve been looking at these hard, but have had self control with what was a perfectly running truck.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
In these uncertain times I'd be conservative. If the rest of the truck is in good condition I'd swap in either a take out motor (5.3's are pretty cheap) or crate motor and keep driving it. Once the dust settles you can then sell it to buy something else. I have a feeling there will be a lot of good deals on stuff down the road a bit.

badluck24/7

Reaction score
What are the odds that we’re in the same situation? Post up what you decide.

4Waters

Reaction score
Put 50w in it (J/k unless you are ok with it) sell it and get something a little newer with 4wd and a small payment.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Put 50w in it (J/k unless you are ok with it) sell it and get something a little newer with 4wd and a small payment.
Can you sell something with a junked engine? Doubt it will run very long with low oil pressure

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Some of the deals that GM and Ford are offering are unreal. You would be a fool not to take advantage of it. Cut your losses and move on to a new dependable vehicle for very little money.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Why is the motor junk? How much do you trust the place that you take it to? If it is blown for sure, and you want four wheel drive, I would think a nice 4WD Tacoma would be a good fit. Maybe find a newer used one with a warranty for around 25, put 15 down and have a small payment.

That being said, having a new vehicle under warranty is definitely a nice thing. As said above, the current offers are pretty great, so a Colorado or Canyon with the AT4 package would definitely catch my eye if I was shopping for something new and in the midrange size.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Some of the deals that GM and Ford are offering are unreal. You would be a fool not to take advantage of it. Cut your losses and move on to a new dependable vehicle for very little money.

I think we have different opinions of what "very little money" is! 😵 😁 What's the cheapest a new 4x4 truck costs these days, $40K or so?

here's my shameless plug for what I think is a good truck for very little money:😁👍

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I would get a second opinion. My last 5.3 went 387,000 miles before I sold it. I would check and see what a G.M. dealer sells a 5.3 motor for. Haven't purchased a new one in a few years but new from the dealer with a warranty is pretty reasonable.

Need BigBore500's opinion, he is pretty sharp on L.S. engines. Maybe he would change it out for you, or know someone that would.

motormonkey

Reaction score
I have 216,000 on a 05 I bought new. They have a lot of life to them. I do put in marvel mystery oil the last 1000 of a oil change every 3 changes. The lifters start to chatter a bit and will go away.
The oil pickup O ring will leak, the oil pump (can get stuck in bypass also on some), the lifter trays can cause a cam wipeout on higher milage engines. Change these and they will go farther.

EPL

Reaction score
It depends what is really wrong !! The oil pressure sensor and the low oil sensor are two differnt sensors !! The question is when they replaced the oil pressure sensor did they top the oil off ?

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the time has come to make a hard decision on my 2008 silverado. A couple thousand miles ago my oil pressure sending unit went out, got it replaced, and yesterday I got the low oil light again. Took it to the same place thinking it was the same thing, and it looks like the motor is junk. 150k miles, babied, bought it new with 6 miles on it. Thought it would last longer....
I
I don’t like car payments that much, times are a little weird right now, and just bought a new model 3 for my wife last Aug. We are still employed and have the money for something new ,but I was hoping to get into a house after this blows over.

1. Slap a new/rebuilt engine in there. I have the 5.3l and don’t know what this would cost, but I’m sure I could pay cash.

2. Junk it and buy something older with 4WD. Not having 4WD has been something I disliked about the truck, but lived with for 12 years. Maybe $15k and pay cash.

3.Go the same route above but get something a little nicer and have a small payment. Maybe $30k. Thinking late model GX460, maybe a Tacoma, etc. Something that would hold me over for a while.

4. Throw caution to the wind and get a new Tremor, Power Wagon, maybe be a little conservative and get the ZR2. “I’ve been looking at these hard, but have had self control with what was a perfectly running truck.
I had a 2010 Silverado with a 5.3 that had a ticking noise.Drove it to Parker and the oil pressure went to zero a mile from the house.A friend was coming the next day and brought me his car trailer. It had 163k miles .Same situation what do I do? Took it to Brothers auto In Ontario and first thing they said was the 5.3 s had bad cams and as they flatten out they the put a hole thru the bottom of the lifters hence the oil pressure problem .I went ahead and had them rebuild it for $3500 and drove it another 30k miles. Then the radiator went bad and since I drive to the river all the time and I didn’t trust it any longer I bought a new one! I still have the old one and was just getting ready to sell when theCorona crap hit. I like the new one but I don’t like the payment! Tough decision

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Id get a second opinion. At least get the engine leaked down, find out exactly what is causing the low oil pressure as best you can. If it is really low. While that is happening look around for a takeout engine. If you don't want to drop the $ for another vehicle, new or used, right now, at least look into the option of a swap. Get a number on a take out engine and the price to R&R it.
Then you can make an informed decision, which is the best way to go.

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
I think we have different opinions of what "very little money" is! 😵 😁 What's the cheapest a new 4x4 truck costs these days, $40K or so?

here's my shameless plug for what I think is a good truck for very little money:😁👍

If I had room in my shop, I’d buy it. That things just barely broken in! Great ranch-dawg truck

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
IMG_4171.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

It doesn't make sense to spend 4K to r&r the engine for a truck that is worth 5-6k when done. 84 months 0% and close to 15K off sticker from the big 3 makes a lot more sense to me.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I would look at the new chevy's with the 72 month at 0% financing or something else. I would still keep your current truck as a fun third car project. You can pick up a 5.3 for $600-800 and replace it in your spare time and make it a fun desert truck, or leave it at the river when you buy a second home out there.

Don't get scared because of this virus stuff, the economy is going to explode once it's over.

CSmith

Reaction score
15k 😜
Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200308_172208.jpg
    MVIMG_20200308_172208.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 119

JJK94

Reaction score
Search 5.3 .. Common problem.. Lots of diagnosis out there. oil pickup, Screen under the pressure switch, About ready to replace the Valve Lifter Oil Manifold part number 12571609 in mine as I was told that the a seal goes out..

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Personally, I would put the new motor in, IF the motor is bad. Its cheaper than the down payment alone on a new one. But if you choose to go new, they have great deals right now........ 👍🏻
C590EFA1-5D2F-46D7-8727-B534BF3D98F4.png

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

50wt. in and advertise and Tell any prospective buyer.

OR

50wt. in and ?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
If it's the level of the oil , and you're burning oil , not leaking , then it's rebuild time . The oil light on may just be a bad O-ring at the oil pick up tube . LS engines are famous for that.

Exactly this, the pumps suck air and have a hard time priming for the few seconds, it gets worse and worse over time. Not sure if it ever gets to a point where it can't pick up oil at all, but you are 100% correct, all of the LS engines are notorious for this one simple issue.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. Looks like a lot of you are asking how I know the engine is junk, and it's really just the word of the mechanic at this point. The first time around, the low oil pressure alert came on and told me to shut down the engine immediately. I did so, did a little research, and noticed no ticking so I double-checked good oil level and took a chance and drove it 2 miles to my normal mechanic that I've been going to for 5 or so years, Purrfect auto in Irvine. They said it was the oil pressure sending unit, so we replaced it and all was well for a few thousand miles.

Yesterday, I drive my truck for the first time in a week or two and the truck gives me the low oil pressure shut everything down warning again, so I do. I check for good oil, add a quart, and hope all will be good. It wasn't, so I drove it to the mechanic. When the mechanic called today he said they noticed metal shavings in the oil last time, and if it was brought in again then they knew the cam was grinding, and clogging the screen, which killed the sending unit. Not sure why he didn't say anything to me, but we're past that now. He says there are metal shavings on the dipstick, and the motor is trash. No use in replacing the sending unit again, to have the screen clog again.

The truck burns through oil pretty quickly, and has for probably half its life. I'm constantly topping it off, and there are no leaks. Apparently this is common with the 5.3.

redone76

Reaction score
Like what’s been said above about the o-ring on the pick up tube. My 08 Silverado had low oil pressure and for $100 for the o-ring, pan gasket, oil and filter I had it fixed in about 1.5 hours. Oil pressure is at 40 psi when hot. 60 when cold. 165k on her and still rolling.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Something that no one has said (at least I did not see). If buying a used truck what is not to say the same thing would happen?????

If you don't fix your truck get new (or at least a couple years old).

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I would take it to a different shop who is competent...

If it isn't knocking and banging...you still have oil pressure. Very likely, the screen under the sending unit is clogged up and the first shop didn't change/clean it.

I would be pissed if I had to put an engine in something less than 40 years old with 300K miles on it and never buy from that brand again.

jet496

Reaction score
I would take it to a different shop who is competent...

If it isn't knocking and banging...you still have oil pressure. Very likely, the screen under the sending unit is clogged up and the first shop didn't change/clean it.

I would be pissed if I had to put an engine in something less than 40 years old with 300K miles on it and never buy from that brand again.
This.

I have four Silverados and some over 200k miles and still purring. I'd see another mechanic.

4Waters

Reaction score
Can you sell something with a junked engine? Doubt it will run very long with low oil pressure
Obviously disclose it, my previous post was more for laughs but there have been people that have done just that, 50w oil and sell it say nothing.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Obviously disclose it, my previous post was more for laughs but there have been people that have done just that, 50w oil and sell it say nothing.
I meant in general, is there a market? No way would I ever not disclose. It takes all of 10 seconds for the warning lights to come on and tell you to shut the engine down immediately anyways.

Kbach

Reaction score
If you decide to sell I may know somebody at my work that would probably be interested. I think he's got a wrecked 04 or 05 that he could pull the engine/trans from.

If so, post up some details and i can see if he's interested.

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
So that makes it a 1k dollar a month payment on a new half ton ! Lol
No shit, huh!? Hahahaha
There’s a guy on here that works at Selmon, right? He could probably give more info or better deals?
B9BE7E9C-86B9-40FC-AA1E-22045C8DD874.png
94FD03BC-3690-4AC7-B2DD-62FB82CEFBFF.png
E75F2A1E-66B8-485A-B0FA-E854DE5F161A.png

yz450mm

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. Looks like a lot of you are asking how I know the engine is junk, and it's really just the word of the mechanic at this point. The first time around, the low oil pressure alert came on and told me to shut down the engine immediately. I did so, did a little research, and noticed no ticking so I double-checked good oil level and took a chance and drove it 2 miles to my normal mechanic that I've been going to for 5 or so years, Purrfect auto in Irvine. They said it was the oil pressure sending unit, so we replaced it and all was well for a few thousand miles.

Yesterday, I drive my truck for the first time in a week or two and the truck gives me the low oil pressure shut everything down warning again, so I do. I check for good oil, add a quart, and hope all will be good. It wasn't, so I drove it to the mechanic. When the mechanic called today he said they noticed metal shavings in the oil last time, and if it was brought in again then they knew the cam was grinding, and clogging the screen, which killed the sending unit. Not sure why he didn't say anything to me, but we're past that now. He says there are metal shavings on the dipstick, and the motor is trash. No use in replacing the sending unit again, to have the screen clog again.

The truck burns through oil pretty quickly, and has for probably half its life. I'm constantly topping it off, and there are no leaks. Apparently this is common with the 5.3.

So the guy that you pay to fix your truck says that he found "metal shavings" in the oil last time it was there, but didn't say anything? Almost like he was waiting for it to come back to him so he could charge you to replace your engine? Now he says that he sees metal shavings on the dipstick, but metal "shavings" don't typically suspend themselves in oil, and would be at the bottom of the pan or in the oil filter.

Just my opinion, but I call bullshit on this guy. As said above, take it somewhere else to get an honest evaluation.

I think that if the screen on the sending unit was totally clogged with metal, you would definitely be hearing it in the motor.

View attachment 860175

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
bad ass

I could be biased, but you should keep your old truck.

View attachment 860135

Or maybe was hoping you would sell it to him cheap

So the guy that you pay to fix your truck says that he found "metal shavings" in the oil last time it was there, but didn't say anything? Almost like he was waiting for it to come back to him so he could charge you to replace your engine? Now he says that he sees metal shavings on the dipstick, but metal "shavings" don't typically suspend themselves in oil, and would be at the bottom of the pan or in the oil filter.

Just my opinion, but I call bullshit on this guy. As said above, take it somewhere else to get an honest evaluation.

I think that if the screen on the sending unit was totally clogged with metal, you would definitely be hearing it in the motor.

View attachment 860175

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Anyone have a good mechanic in the Irvine area, so I can get a second opinion?

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Rebuild it, delete the AFM DOD bullshit, TSP cam, heads, long tubes, and a tune, 450 hp and you’ll be in love with your truck again. I actually posted something about this last night as as a delete and cam swap will prevent what probably caused your premature failure. Been following a guy on Instagram and thinking about doing this to my 14. Anyone on the boards here have a recommendation on this type of work

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
With the prices of new trucks i would call Jay and just get a new one 0 percent and long terms plus the mileage of the new diesel will be awesome

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Going through a similar thing with my 04 Tahoe with a 5.3... 239k on it.

For $3600 plus tax I can get a sub 100k mile 5.3 Installed. Not feeling payments right now, so I think I am going to do it. Have been driving the Excursion for past 2 months...not what I want to drive daily.

Reactions: E4L